Recruit's and the 'starting' and minutes played discussion | The Boneyard

Recruit's and the 'starting' and minutes played discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know it is a different era in WCBB (and WBB in general) but5 I thought I would check the minutes played by 3 members of the TASSK class at Uconn.
Swin Cash: 2 time NC, USA National team gold medal winner (3), WNBA Champion (3)
Freshman - 22 games played out of 34, 332 minutes played = 15.1 mpg for the 22 games played
Sophomore - 37 games out of 37, 768 minutes = 20.1 mpg
Junior - 35 games of 35, 832 minutes = 23.8 mpg

Asjha Jones: 2 NCs, USA national team gold medal winner (2)
Freshman - 34 of 34 games, 681 minutes = 20.0 mpg
Sophomore - 36 of 37 games, 632 minutes = 17.6 mpg
Junior - 35 of 35 games, 663 minutes = 18.9 mpg

Tamika Williams: 2 NCs
Freshman - 33 of 34 games, 738 minutes = 22.4 mpg
Sophomore - 31 of 37 games, 509 minutes = 16.4 mpg
Junior - 33 of 35 games, 656 minutes = 19.9

I just want to point out that three of 'our heroes' played less than 'starter minutes' in their first three years at Uconn. Only Swin ended up averaging above 20 minutes a game in those first three years (20.5) and I doubt any one of them would choose differently if she could go back and do it again.

This idea that if you are not playing 30 minutes a game you are wasting your time has some how crept into our perception and I think it is leading some people to make poor choices. These women were the 2nd, 4th, and 6th draft picks in 2002 even though they were not leading the country in any statistical categories except victories (Williams actual did lead in FG %.) What they did have was excellent coaching and great awareness of how to play team basketball.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That was also during a stretch when Geno would use a lot of full court press and quick sub other teams into submission. He doesn't do that anymore so I don't see that kind of minutes distribution happening going forward. But we'll see.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's a great post UCM. Would like it 10 times if I could. A few thoughts...

It reinforces Geno's recent comments that "the kids have changed over the years". So much more social media, so much more immediate gratification, and just a different attitude from top level recruits. I would imagine kids these days are more "So you are recruiting me - what can you do for me"... instead of years past where they were more like "Holy cow - you are recruiting me? I'm honored and will do whatever it takes to play for you"...

I'm not saying all kids are like that now, but many more are. I think that's why the staff takes a pass on so many top kids, or realizes pretty early on that they would not be a good fit. I'm not saying those kids aren't great players or terrific teammates potentially, but the lack of humility and greater sense of entitlement seems much more prevalent these days...

I have said it before - I think Geno continues to coach as long as he's able to get kids who are talented, but hungry, humble, and coachable. If those kind of top recruits run dry, that's when I think Geno hangs it up...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I know it is a different era in WCBB (and WBB in general) but5 I thought I would check the minutes played by 3 members of the TASSK class at Uconn.
Swin Cash: 2 time NC, USA National team gold medal winner (3), WNBA Champion (3)
Freshman - 22 games played out of 34, 332 minutes played = 15.1 mpg for the 22 games played
Sophomore - 37 games out of 37, 768 minutes = 20.1 mpg
Junior - 35 games of 35, 832 minutes = 23.8 mpg

Asjha Jones: 2 NCs, USA national team gold medal winner (2)
Freshman - 34 of 34 games, 681 minutes = 20.0 mpg
Sophomore - 36 of 37 games, 632 minutes = 17.6 mpg
Junior - 35 of 35 games, 663 minutes = 18.9 mpg

Tamika Williams: 2 NCs
Freshman - 33 of 34 games, 738 minutes = 22.4 mpg
Sophomore - 31 of 37 games, 509 minutes = 16.4 mpg
Junior - 33 of 35 games, 656 minutes = 19.9

I just want to point out that three of 'our heroes' played less than 'starter minutes' in their first three years at Uconn. Only Swin ended up averaging above 20 minutes a game in those first three years (20.5) and I doubt any one of them would choose differently if she could go back and do it again.

This idea that if you are not playing 30 minutes a game you are wasting your time has some how crept into our perception and I think it is leading some people to make poor choices. These women were the 2nd, 4th, and 6th draft picks in 2002 even though they were not leading the country in any statistical categories except victories (Williams actual did lead in FG %.) What they did have was excellent coaching and great awareness of how to play team basketball.
Great post UC!!!

Reaction Score
That's a great post UCM. Would like it 10 times if I could. A few thoughts...

It reinforces Geno's recent comments that "the kids have changed over the years". So much more social media, so much more immediate gratification, and just a different attitude from top level recruits. I would imagine kids these days are more "So you are recruiting me - what can you do for me"... instead of years past where they were more like "Holy cow - you are recruiting me? I'm honored and will do whatever it takes to play for you"...

I'm not saying all kids are like that now, but many more are. I think that's why the staff takes a pass on so many top kids, or realizes pretty early on that they would not be a good fit. I'm not saying those kids aren't great players or terrific teammates potentially, but the lack of humility and greater sense of entitlement seems much more prevalent these days...

I have said it before - I think Geno continues to coach as long as he's able to get kids who are talented, but hungry, humble, and coachable. If those kind of top recruits run dry, that's when I think Geno hangs it up...
Geno probably retires after the KLS class graduates, so maybe 5-6 years from now. I'm guessing he doesn't want to die on the side line.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sluconn Husky said:
That was also during a stretch when Geno would use a lot of full court press and quick sub other teams into submission. He doesn't do that anymore so I don't see that kind of minutes distribution happening going forward. But we'll see.

That time might easily come again if he has another roster that goes 9 - deep with All Americans or near-AA's, as he did in 2001 and 2002. That might happen as soon as next year, or even this year if Courtney develops rapidly.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Joe- great pts above! But we havnt had a bench this deep in a while. And we are a much quicker team without Dolson- one of the few advantages. And one of the things geno mentioned- possibly at the open practice which I found really interesting was Geno was concerned about wearing Stewie out on defense, especially a full court press. He thought he might lose more of her offense vs the benefits of the press.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
There is a big difference, though, between 20 minutes as a non-starter, and 2-3 minutes total at the end of a non-close game. The former I think would be acceptable to most players at UConn; in fact very few with that level of playing time seem to show angst about minutes. It seemed that for a few years there we were working very short; there were transfers, and injuries, and the loss of EDD (whatever you want to call it), that meant we were simply a small group and PT was greatly extended, more by necessity than anything else, at least at first. Then it seemed the 6-7 man rotation become the norm. It's great to be reminded that this wasn't always the case, and you know it might get so it isn't again. Why not? It could be cool to have, once again, the best two teams in women's college basketball in Storrs. But something else is starting to happen too, some new teams are building...deep in the heart of Texas (for one) that may also add to the mix...this year we're seeing something starting to resemble the parity we've been wanting, and that too will change the way the game is played; fresh legs and switch ups and change ups, and all kinds of experiments could be in the offing, still on the foundation of "beautiful ball," the trademark of Geno's genius. As long as that keeps happening, no matter if its 5-7 or 9 in the rotation, it will be what you want to be watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom