Recruiting and the Two-Three Zone | The Boneyard

Recruiting and the Two-Three Zone

C

Chief00

Did you notice how Calipari has mocked our 2/3 zone in his negative recruiting? Yeah, that was a great idea getting away from our culture. We are not competing for Ivy League recruits - we are recruiting guys who think they are future NBA players.

Reaction Score
Did you notice how Calipari has mocked our 2/3 zone in his negative recruiting? Yeah, that was a great idea getting away from our culture. We are not competing for Ivy League recruits - we are recruiting guys who think they are future NBA players.

Sigh. The comment was made right after the UK/UNC game.
The previous week Quade Green was visiting.

C

Chief00

Sigh. The comment was made right after the UK/UNC game.
The previous week Quade Green was visiting.
Maybe you need to introduce yourself to someone at PSA.

Reaction Score
I think that 28 years of man, including a few excellent defensive teams in the Ollie era, dispels any suggestion that UConn is a "zone school" based upon one year playing some 2/3 with 7 or 8 scholarship players, depending on the night. If Calipari made that comment about UConn, then he is being intellectually dishonest and I would expect a recruit to whom you have been messaging your program for multiple years to see through it. If not, there are much bigger issues than the type of defense you play.

C

Chief00

I think that 28 years of man, including a few excellent defensive teams in the Ollie era, dispels any suggestion that UConn is a "zone school" based upon one year playing some 2/3 with 7 or 8 scholarship players, depending on the night. If Calipari made that comment about UConn, then he is being intellectually dishonest and I would expect a recruit to whom you have been messaging your program for multiple years to see through it. If not, there are much bigger issues than the type of defense you play.

28 years of history is just what a recruit is thinking of. The wisdom of an 18 year old is what you are counting on to see that what they are watching is not actually what it is in the long view. Please come talk to my kids.

Reaction Score

Will you give it a rest? We could play man, we could press, we could shoot 50 3's a night, and if we're recruiting against Kentucky we're gonna come out on the short end. Calipari doesn't have to mock our 2/3 zone since he is not in any sort of competition with Uconn when it comes to recruiting. Like it or not, he is sort of the Geno of men's basketball - he gets anyone he wants, everyone else is fighting for his leftovers. Of course he then proceeds to blow it in March, which is where he differs from Geno.

C

Chief00

Sorry guys - I give it to you straight - no sugar coating. I don't know how much I can emphasize this - you need to close hard and fast. God bless Coach Miller but if we were going over his class schedule and number - Thats not time well spent. I hear Glen's defenders - how can he do the famed tour of facilities when you are in Hartford and Windsor. But yes - going over a class schedule will really make a guy committ - I can't emphasize this enough - going over the class schedule may work in the Ivy League but not here.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Sorry guys - I give it to you straight - no sugar coating. I don't know how much I can emphasize this - you need to close hard and fast. God bless Coach Miller but if we were going over his class schedule and number - Thats not time well spent. I hear Glen's defenders - how can he do the famed tour of facilities when you are in Hartford and Windsor. But yes - going over a class schedule will really make a guy committ - I can't emphasize this enough - going over the class schedule may work in the Ivy League but not here.

If a prospect is leaning on a mid-year enrollment, what classes they enroll in kind of need to be discussed.

I don't know if you know this considering you're not a very well-informed fan, but we have to enroll our players in classes even if that fact causes you to have a temper tantrum.

Reaction Score

It never stops being entertaining that you think this is insight.

Incidentally, and I know it's impossible to communicate with you, Miller's teams at Brown and Penn played man. You have this idea that he's strong-arming his head coach into being a zone team and it sounds ridiculous to everyone but you.

Reaction Score
Will you give it a rest? We could play man, we could press, we could shoot 50 3's a night, and if we're recruiting against Kentucky we're gonna come out on the short end. Calipari doesn't have to mock our 2/3 zone since he is not in any sort of competition with Uconn when it comes to recruiting. Like it or not, he is sort of the Geno of men's basketball - he gets anyone he wants, everyone else is fighting for his leftovers. Of course he then proceeds to blow it in March, which is where he differs from Geno.
The difference is Geno wins championships and Calipari loses championships with the best players. We are man defense team forced to play zone to keep the few players we have in the game. Chief doesn't get it.

C

Chief00

If a prospect is leaning on a mid-year enrollment, what classes they enroll in kind of need to be discussed.

I don't know if you know this considering you're not a very well-informed fan, but we have to enroll our players in classes even if that fact causes you to have a temper tantrum.
We will see if it was time well spent? Do you think that's what he did on his U.K. visit - think about the classes he has to take but doesn't want to?

Reaction Score
The difference is Geno wins championships and Calipari loses championships with the best players.
Don't like this line of thinking. So much more parity in MBB than WBB. Since Calipari got to UK:
35-3 Elite Eight
29-9 Final Four
38-2 NCAA Champions
21-12 NIT
29-11 NCAA Runner-up
38-1 Final Four
27-9 Round of 32

That is really good. Like, really, really good.

Reaction Score
Maybe you need to introduce yourself to someone at PSA.
So when you asked us if we had noticed Calipari mocking our 2/3 zone in his negative recruiting, what you meant is when we talked to PSA coaches, did we notice them saying that Calapari was mocking our 2/3 zone.

Gotcha.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We will see if it was time well spent? Do you think that's what he did on his U.K. visit - think about the classes he has to take but doesn't want to?

I'm going to say it again slowly because your advanced degrees aren't helping you follow along.

If a prospect is informing the staff of his intent to enroll immediately, they have to start putting the wheels in motion, and that includes putting together a schedule. A kid can't play unless they are enrolled in classes for the coming semester.

The fact that your warped mind twists this into the ludicrous notion that the staff are using UConn's classes as a recruiting tool is really sad. It goes to show that either you have a sick agenda against the program ever since September 2012, or you're just not mentally with it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That movie where Amy Adams tries to communicate with the aliens is based on a Boneyard poster's attempt to communicate with Chief.
I'd reference the classics and say Chief Ahab needs a Moby Dick.

Not that Jerome would care one iota but for now the heat is on Glen and not Jerome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom