Recap of our recruiting class to date, 30 and counting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Name Position Comments
Jhvon Williams CB 5' 11'' 4.45 speed. Had an offer from Kentucky
Chauncy Lanier CB 5' 11' 165

Brendon Battles DE 6' 3'' 250
Elijah Norris DE 6' 5'' 235, 4.6 speed. Had offers from Maryland and Michigan State
Mikal Myers DT 6' 310. Had an offer from Penn State

Wyatt Vinci FB Sounds like he will be a Fullback, 1700 SAT score. Already has the size to compete for job in 2012.

Bobby Puyol K Ranked as top kicker recruit in nation

Ryan Donahue LB Tranfer from Maryland, 2 years eligibility remaining
Jason Sylva LB 6' 2'' 250. Had an offer from BC
Jonn Hicks LB 6'3 235
Jazzmar Clax LB 6' 230. Offered by Arizona State, Maryland, Minnesota

Kyle Backeloh C 6' 2'' 280 Had an offer from Airforce
Drew Ghio OG Walkon 6' 1'' 300 Sounds like a talented kid who has been held back by injuries
Alex Mateas OG Transfer Penn state, 3 years eligibility remaining.
Rennick Bryan OG 6' 3'' 300 pounds
Zach Rugg OG, OT 6'5 275
Tyler Samra OG 6'3 270
Richard Levy OT 6'6 300 Pounds

Chandler Whitmer QB Received offer from Jim Harbaugh at Stanford out of HS, Put up huge numbers at Junior college 3 years remaining
Casey Cochran QB 6' 1" BC also offered. Record setting QB in HS

Joe Williams RB 6' 205 with 4.45 speed. Had interest from Clemson and Oregon.

Jordan Floyd S 6'2" 4.5 Speed. Had an offer from Maryland
Michael Marder S 6' 1'' 180
Obi Melifonwu S 6' 4'' 195

Neil Shortell TE 6' 3'' 250 Blocking TE

Shakim Phillips WR Transfer from Boston College, ranked top HS player in NJ his senior year, 3 years eligibility remaining
Bryce McNeal WR Transfer from Clemson, Two Years of eligibility remaining. Ranked as 10th WR in nation his senior year in HS
John Green WR WR 5' 11'' 4.46 speed
Neally Cunningham WR 6'2''
Ricky Gutierrez WR 6'2'' had an offer from Kansas

Reaction Score
By my count, only 21 of those count towards the class of 2012.
Indeed bro... we still have a some surprises coming come NSD.. 2 days til Christmas in February....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
nice mets, to add:

hicks had offers from several area schools(cuse/pitt/ruty)
casey-iowa offer
gutz-minn offer
puyol was top rated in fl, not nation
norris-kst offer
battles-usf offer

thats what i can remember

i was going to do something like this on signing day and keep a tab of guys who are official. maybe i'll do a sign day thread with updates for the board as paper comes rolling in.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i count:
5 transfers
2 walkons so far officially
25 commits(4 of which are jan kids(casey/wit/joe will/tx kid) which menas they can be 2011 kids)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
if u add navy/ucf offers becuase they are upgrading then there are a bunch to add. also about 10 of our guys had temple offers...but i like keeping it to bcs.

Reaction Score
if u add navy/ucf offers becuase they are upgrading then there are a bunch to add. also about 10 of our guys had temple offers...but i like keeping it to bcs.

I think leaving out non-BCS offers is folly. Every year tons of players get drafted from non-BCS schools. Some non-BCS coaches are very good at spotting talent.

For instance, Doc Holliday at Marshall offered Neally Cunningham. You think ol' Doc knows a thing or two about talent? I certainly do.

Reaction Score
FWIW: When I talk about anythign money related to football, that's the only time that the BCS/AQ terminology is relevant. I hate the terminology, becasue it confuses people about college football. It's got nothing to do with competition.

When I talk about anything competition related, actual players, performance, games etc......anything BUT money......it's all about competing at the division 1-A level in intercollegiate athletics. If a school qualifies for 1-A level of competition, that's some pretty high level competition.

The only thing adding the letters BCS does to anything, is provide a category as to income derived from athletics.

Reaction Score
That said, I believe that the recruiting class of 2012, and by extension - the makeup of the 2012 roster, when they stand shoulder shoulder in line on the field, will clearly not be mistaken for anything else, but a roster of division 1-A football players.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The only thing adding the letters BCS does to anything, is provide a category as to income derived from athletics.

And attract better recruits which subsequently increases the competition level.

Reaction Score
Offer list :

Bockeloh - Air Force
Cochran - BC, Iowa
Whitmer - 2010 - Illinois, Arizona, Stanford, Iowa St, 2012 - Memphis, Kent St
Joseph Williams -
Battles - USF
Bryan -
Clax - MD, ASU, Minnesota, Rutgers (unclear), Temple
Cunningham - Marshall
Floyd - Marshall, MD, Temple
Green - FIU, Buffalo
Gutierrez - Buffalo, FAU, FIU, Kansas, Middle Tennessee
Hicks - Temple, also, according to his hometown paper - Pitt, RU, MD, SU
Lanier -
Levy -
Marder -
Melifonwu-
Myers - Akron, Buffalo, Penn State, Temple
Norris - Buffalo, KState, Kent St, Marshall, MD, Tulane
Puyol -Middle Tennessee
Rugg - Buffalo, Temple, Ohio
Samra -
Sylva - BC, Buffalo
Vinci - Navy
Jhavon Williams - FAU, Kentucky, Marshall, New Mexico
Shortell -

Reaction Score
And attract better recruits which subsequently increases the competition level.

Nope, otherwise Duke and Indiana would be much better football programs than Boise State and TCU right?

I agree, that having more money flowing into your program every year, makes it easier to recruit.

Look - understand the sport. Every single division 1-A football program is a BCS team. That's the truth. Every 1-A team has a chance of competitng for a national championship....on paper.

In reality, it's the money that flows through the 6 AQ conferences vs. the 5 non-AQ conferences that is the only thing about the BCS that trully matters.

Is it easier to recruit, when you've got a giant operating budget? Yup. See Greg Schiano.

Reaction Score
We've been through this before, unless I see Hy-Tek meet manager times in print or something similar, anything you see has to be assumed to be hand timed and hugely variable and probably not accurate.

That said, I don't know anybody that's going to be advertising sub 4.4 40 speeds and not be able to turn on the burners in a straight run.

If what I recall about this kid is correct, he was a top Florida track athlete at one time but blew out knee or ankle or something in H.S. DOn't take that for gospel, I might be talking about my a**, but if I'm right, as long as he's healed well, and can still turn on the jets - he's a fast one.

I have no idea what methods and modes that Edsall had when it came to evaluating speed, but I do have an idea how D.Brown and P operate, and if a kid can point in a high profile track meet, and he's at all interested in football, he'll be on the radar.

Reaction Score
Talking out of your behind there Carl, lol. Green has not any injury problems that have been reported. And as I mentioned, 4.46 Nike Sparq is legit. As is the 10.81 100m (Division 16 track meet, FL).

Reaction Score
My bad, I stand corrected. Apologies Carl. At any rate, obviously he's all the way back, running sub 4.5 40's and sub 11 second 100's.

Adding much needed speed to the outside. With Williams being a senior, I think Green can RS get stronger and be a nice follow up for 4 years to come, just faster. Not sure if he participated on ST's in HS but a guy with his speed could be great in the return game.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
nick williams next to john green on kickoffs next year?!?!?!?! then when willaims leaves, newsome and john green!!!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have no idea what methods and modes that Edsall had when it came to evaluating speed, but I do have an idea how D.Brown and P operate, and if a kid can point in a high profile track meet, and he's at all interested in football, he'll be on the radar.

I would imagine that Edsall used a stopwatch.

There were plenty of track stars under Edsall from Branch to Campbell to K. Moore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom