Really warming up to the thought of Al Golden | The Boneyard

Really warming up to the thought of Al Golden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Meets most but not all of DBs criteria. Built a program. Head coaching experience. Northeast and Florida ties for recruiting. Only ? Is offensive capabilities.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's good enough to beat Temple, Memphis, Cincy, and Houston. So, he should be considered. He also has a ceiling. Everyone needs to decide if that's good enough. I'd be sure to do an ambition check. His next job might be his last.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'd totally be on board for Al Golden if he even wanted to be a head coach in college again. He's TE coach with the Detroit Lions right now... I'm sure our boys Edsall and Danny O. could talk up UConn and the program for us though... ; )

Reaction Score
I have a 24-hour bug or this would be a war and peace version of why Golden is a terrible choice.

I am a 22-year fan of UConn BBall and it's the only team I live and die with the past decade of life. I have a UConn mancave in my home in Florida and follow (but don't live and die at all) the Miami Hurricaned since we get tons of coverage and I grew up in the 80s when they were the ultimate villains. I tell u this so u know I have UConn football best interests at heart (we R all in CR boat together) and intimately followed the Golden Era at Miami.

Golden came in to Miami with tremendous fan support and apathy. Miami was being investigated for recruiting improprieties (as probably all SEC and Southern schools that focus on football probably should.) he had success at Temple, although later it appeared he feasted on primarily bad teams.

Golden had a binder that he often bragged about that was every detail of how to run a program. Some in the media said he got the job by virtue of that binder and his attention to detail which blew away UM brass after hiring a coach that was in over his head and did not Possess people skills at all in Randy Shannon (a fine DC though).

It was apparent he had no plans outside this vaccuum of Utopia over time. Even though Miami hasn't been good since the recruits of Butch Davis finished under Larry Coker, because it's South Beach and THE U., they have recruited pretty well (top 10-15 at worst) under the past decade with so many great HS programs in South Florida.

It became apparent very early when he was having issues with parents, not of scrubs but high character kids like Duke Johnson that played a ton and many others. More concerning, Alums saw the issues of a guy not commanding respect and not leading and were quickly banned from sidelines and access to the program.

Local HS coaches saw the staff play games with them by not being honest and not forging solid working relationships and soon wouldn't allow UM to recruit their players or at least push them elsewhere to a more healthy environment.

Fans (go to a UM message board and ask and of course u will hear from some crazies but the more-informed fans like a DogMania, Storrs South and Fishy on the men's bb board will tell u pretty much exactly what I am saying), quickly saw a deteriorating product that could only beat bad teams and Georgia Tech. Each year it seemed, the team quit on Golden. I remember they went into FSU game undefeated and lost close and then proceeded to pack it in for 6-7 games. It happened similar to this more than once. After Diaco Navy snafu, very similar except UM had all those So. Florida ballers. Inexcusable.

Despite all this, fans were willing to give him another year two years ago, provided he fire his friend from Penn State and DC Mark D'Onofrio, who took elite Miami defenses or at least very good and stopped attacking as UM has done for decades to a read and react unit that was giving up 5 and 600 yard games for 4-5 game stretches once the team quit and wasn't all that good to begin with. D'Onofrio was actually banned from recruiting at several schools that had been pro-Miami friendly over the years due to a variety of things.
Reasonable assistants had sideline altercations with him as well.

But he wouldn't. Instead he fully embraced the blame game he had sold for years eemi-successfully. Golden attacked Miami fans in the press on multiple occasions. Blamed them for the losses and culture deterioration. He blamed NCAA sanctions that were over and had largely been mitigated from early on. He blamed alumni, he blamed So Florida coaches, anyone he could find.

Over the last few years, any coach with a modicum of talent and a decent game-planner could hammer Miami. Miami admin is surprisingly not very football friendly from the Donna Shalala days. I know that is crazy for some of u to hear but the commitment to facilities and getting athletes admitted is improving under Richt and new AD but has been poor for years. They desperately wanted to keep him but 50+ blowout to Clemson and another bad year was enough with fans alumni and anyone outside the program seeing it clearly . (Kind of like Diaco in some ways)

Frankly Golden is a salesman, not really good at recruiting, but at schmoozing higher-up and lost respect of his teams repeatedly and burning bridges everywhere he was except his superiors. Plus, if u don't like bland offense, he was raised in Penn State football in the 1980s (3-yards and a cloud of dust), that does not work in today's game.

I hope it is now apparent and go dig for yourself on a UM board (CanesInsight is probably best) if u question anythung I posted.

Go Huskies and avoid Al Golden like the plague!

Reaction Score
Meets most but not all of DBs criteria. Built a program. Head coaching experience. Northeast and Florida ties for recruiting. Only ? Is offensive capabilities.

He took Randy to the woodshed more than a few times.

Reaction Score
He took Randy to the woodshed more than a few times.
He does not have good Florida ties, read my post, alienated MANY historically pro-UM schools in South Florida, burned tons of bridges.

He is an Al-batross

Reaction Score
I have a 24-hour bug or this would be a war and peace version of why Golden is a terrible choice.

I am a 22-year fan of UConn BBall and it's the only team I live and die with the past decade of life. I have a UConn mancave in my home in Florida and follow (but don't live and die at all) the Miami Hurricaned since we get tons of coverage and I grew up in the 80s when they were the ultimate villains. I tell u this so u know I have UConn football best interests at heart (we R all in CR boat together) and intimately followed the Golden Era at Miami.

Golden came in to Miami with tremendous fan support and apathy. Miami was being investigated for recruiting improprieties (as probably all SEC and Southern schools that focus on football probably should.) he had success at Temple, although later it appeared he feasted on primarily bad teams.

Golden had a binder that he often bragged about that was every detail of how to run a program. Some in the media said he got the job by virtue of that binder and his attention to detail which blew away UM brass after hiring a coach that was in over his head and did not Possess people skills at all in Randy Shannon (a fine DC though).

It was apparent he had no plans outside this vaccuum of Utopia over time. Even though Miami hasn't been good since the recruits of Butch Davis finished under Larry Coker, because it's South Beach and THE U., they have recruited pretty well (top 10-15 at worst) under the past decade with so many great HS programs in South Florida.

It became apparent very early when he was having issues with parents, not of scrubs but high character kids like Duke Johnson that played a ton and many others. More concerning, Alums saw the issues of a guy not commanding respect and not leading and were quickly banned from sidelines and access to the program.

Local HS coaches saw the staff play games with them by not being honest and not forging solid working relationships and soon wouldn't allow UM to recruit their players or at least push them elsewhere to a more healthy environment.

Fans (go to a UM message board and ask and of course u will hear from some crazies but the more-informed fans like a DogMania, Storrs South and Fishy on the men's bb board will tell u pretty much exactly what I am saying), quickly saw a deteriorating product that could only beat bad teams and Georgia Tech. Each year it seemed, the team quit on Golden. I remember they went into FSU game undefeated and lost close and then proceeded to pack it in for 6-7 games. It happened similar to this more than once. After Diaco Navy snafu, very similar except UM had all those So. Florida ballers. Inexcusable.

Despite all this, fans were willing to give him another year two years ago, provided he fire his friend from Penn State and DC Mark D'Onofrio, who took elite Miami defenses or at least very good and stopped attacking as UM has done for decades to a read and react unit that was giving up 5 and 600 yard games for 4-5 game stretches once the team quit and wasn't all that good to begin with. D'Onofrio was actually banned from recruiting at several schools that had been pro-Miami friendly over the years due to a variety of things.
Reasonable assistants had sideline altercations with him as well.

But he wouldn't. Instead he fully embraced the blame game he had sold for years eemi-successfully. Golden attacked Miami fans in the press on multiple occasions. Blamed them for the losses and culture deterioration. He blamed NCAA sanctions that were over and had largely been mitigated from early on. He blamed alumni, he blamed So Florida coaches, anyone he could find.

Over the last few years, any coach with a modicum of talent and a decent game-planner could hammer Miami. Miami admin is surprisingly not very football friendly from the Donna Shalala days. I know that is crazy for some of u to hear but the commitment to facilities and getting athletes admitted is improving under Richt and new AD but has been poor for years. They desperately wanted to keep him but 50+ blowout to Clemson and another bad year was enough with fans alumni and anyone outside the program seeing it clearly . (Kind of like Diaco in some ways)

Frankly Golden is a salesman, not really good at recruiting, but at schmoozing higher-up and lost respect of his teams repeatedly and burning bridges everywhere he was except his superiors. Plus, if u don't like bland offense, he was raised in Penn State football in the 1980s (3-yards and a cloud of dust), that does not work in today's game.

I hope it is now apparent and go dig for yourself on a UM board (CanesInsight is probably best) if u question anythung I posted.

Go Huskies and avoid Al Golden like the plague!

I think he is kind of like an Edsall. Good at a place like Temple or UConn, but bad at a place like the U that has riduculous expectations that nobody can live up to.

Miami doesn't have the facilities and has admissions standards to hurdle. It's not the same place it was in the '80s or even when Butch Davis.

Reaction Score
Every candidate who interviews knows the answer to this question is the most important.

"What is your offensive philosophy and who do you have in mind for an OC?" The potential coach will already have the right answer or the interview will be quick.

Reaction Score
He does not have good Florida ties, read my post, alienated MANY historically pro-UM schools in South Florida, burned tons of bridges.

He is an Al-batross

You sound vindictive. Miami has outrageous expectations. It's basically a program that has more in common with Wake Forest than Alabama these days.

Reaction Score
Golden will interview extremely well, he is a great salesman.

Miami has been bad over a decade by their terms, they wanted a guy that could get them back to the top but were content with progress. Please read my post. I could not stress reading it enough.

Reaction Score
Miami loves Richt, he lost a bunch of games this year. you can choose to ignore facts I posted. Ask about being not allowed in schools to recruit, ask about losing control of team multiple years, ask about staff physical fights. Look at his record vs FSU, Clemson, UNC, Va Tech, good teams.

So just assume I'm vindicative for whatever stupid reason - go to any Miami board and ask about him. Any message board has reasonable fans, u can sort through the crazies to that.

If a program is not elite for 10-15 years, expectations come down some. Ultimstely goal is to get back but fans have more patience than they did 10-15 years earlier.

I am passionate about UConn so the word has to get out when a guy is a total disaster. He fooled UM big time.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
What he did at Temple is one of the most impressive things I have ever seen in terms of revitalising a program that was terminal for eons. And he did it basically in three years with guys that weren't his recruits. And when he left, the program continued to do well which means he didn't leave the cupboard empty either.

As for his ceiling, I think of it as very different from FHCRE, due to lack of time. He left Temple before a ceiling was established (IMO).

I can't appreciate the complexities behind his performance at Miami but based on what he did at Temple, I'd sign up for Al big time.

Reaction Score
How about in the ACC?

Why do you make these posts where we both know you don't even believe your argument. Miami beating Maryland hardly means that the coach of Miami is better than the coach of Maryland. But I don't know what happened when they were both in the ACC because unlike many Edsall haters I never gave a rap how he did when he left.

Reaction Score
You sound vindictive. Miami has outrageous expectations. It's basically a program that has more in common with Wake Forest than Alabama these days.

They had zero expectations under Shalala. It's amazing how quickly Golden got the well deserved axe once she was gone. Now you have a legitimate coach for the first time in ten years with all the facilities anyone could ever want, especially when the new indoor football only facility comes on line. They even get to benefit from the incredible stadium upgrades that the Dolphins put in. The program is actually being run like a program that wants to win, which is exactly why Golden was fired.

Maybe he can do better in a different job, but I have seen him coach enough and listened to him talk enough to know that he is full of . He's a straight con man who got a lot of money that he just didn't deserve.

Reaction Score

He is an Al-batross
The guy is outright hated in many high schools down here. He was that bad.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I will never forget Shalala turning down the Big East offer of increased revenue in football basically as a reward for winning the league, bowl, etc. for a stable ACC revenue stream. Her name is not so welcome in these parts for obvious reasons.

Reaction Score
I will never forget Shalala turning down the Big East offer of increased revenue in football basically as a reward for winning the league, bowl, etc. for a stable ACC revenue stream. Her name is not so welcome in these parts for obvious reasons.

She was dishonest to say the least, and that is being kind. She left a mess behind her at Miami too if that makes you feel any better. God only knows what she will do next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom