Realignment talks starting again... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Realignment talks starting again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was there (I'm an Oklahoma alumnus) and I wasn't squirming. I was wondering why UCONN got invited to the Fiesta Bowl in the first place.
Ya too much alcohol will create a false aura of invincibility in some people.
Thank you for your interest in UConn Athletics and goodnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
No one here thinks it has anything to do with CBB. What we think is that it can only help in some measurable way because what UConn has with respect to CBB (men's + women's) doesn't exist anywhere else on the planet. Football-wise, over the past six seasons UConn is 29-45 (.392) overall, 2-9 (.182) vs. ranked teams, and 7-13 (.350) vs. teams that are in P5 conferences today. Not a great football record, but I'm betting that if you look at the bottom of the P5 conferences there are teams as bad or worse over the same time period. Teams from schools not nearly as good academically as UConn and teams with a media market that is nowhere near the value of UConn's.
I think Uconn will get there and I really Like Diaco but If they continue to improve.How long will he stay at Connecticut?What happens if his school from the Big Ten comes calling?Remember Warde Manuel.Look what happened when Edsall left.You can blame the new coach but he did have a proven track record with Syracuse.Most wins in Big East history.Does he stay and brings the football team into a great football program like the 2 Hall of Fame Coaches that achieved that Or does he run like Edsall did.

Reaction Score
What does that even mean? UConn actually wins games, they're aren't even in the top 5 of the AAC in FB. That's a fact!!
Yeah, right now. We have a 6-6 record vs oh-so-great Rutgers since going FBS. That's a fact. Another fact is you have Greg Schiano now, too.

Man, Ohio State fans... Enjoy your trips to New Jersey!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, right now. We have a 6-6 record vs oh-so-great Rutgers since going FBS. That's a fact. Another fact is you have Greg Schiano now, too.
Chances are OSU fans are going to enjoy their trips anywhere because they have a pretty good football team to watch when they get there.

Reaction Score
If Delaney and his massive ego had it to do over again, it might not be UConn that gets picked (who knows?), but I am of the opinion that Rutgers would not be the first choice.
And you are not alone. Even amongst those who work for the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
But for the most part, the other "interested" teams offer something between decent and not-so-hot as football programs. Part of the discusssion will be about who is likely
to --become-- good soonest. Why not the Huskies in that case? And if it IS about money (and it is), UConn puts the B12 squarely in the NYC and NE markets, with one of most recognized brands in the East and elsewhere.

Yes, Baylor and Oklahoma will evicerate UConn is football... at first. There is no power conference in which similar football struggles would be absent. But that may not be the key criterion.
Actually, WVU has not been eviscerated by the football powers of the Big 12. True, they haven't competed for a conference title as of yet, but they aren't the conference door mats either. UCONN used to be a challenge for WVU when we played them. The huskies could be competitive fairly quickly. And remember, just about anyone can beat Kansas in football.;)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I think Uconn will get there and I really Like Diaco but If they continue to improve.How long will he stay at Connecticut?What happens if his school from the Big Ten comes calling?Remember Warde Manuel.Look what happened when Edsall left.You can blame the new coach but he did have a proven track record with Syracuse.Most wins in Big East history.Does he stay and brings the football team into a great football program like the 2 Hall of Fame Coaches that achieved that Or does he run like Edsall did.

I mean this in a friendly way since I'm interested in reading what you have to say. Please, hit that space bar after typing a period. It will make your posts so much easier to read. (Same for question marks and exclamation points.)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Actually, WVU has not been eviscerated by the football powers of the Big 12. True, they haven't competed for a conference title as of yet, but they aren't the conference door mats either. UCONN used to be a challenge for WVU when we played them. The huskies could be competitive fairly quickly. And remember, just about anyone can beat Kansas in football.;)

I specified Baylor and Oklahoma. I said nothing about on-again-off-again WVU.

Reaction Score
The ACC has been scared of UConn for 20 years now. What other school has won eight basketball titles during the Obama presidency? UConn has won half of the basketball titles over the last eight years. You think the ACC wants us throwing them out of their own party?
Sorry but i don't think the ACC is scared of U Conn. They added Louisville and Syracuse and they are great programs. U Conn men won a few titles but they have been up and down since Calhoun left The women's game has no factor in choosing a team to add to their conference . We all know women get a raw deal when it comes to these things. Football is and always has been the meal ticket and the Huskies football program is not very good. That is why U Conn ended up in the AAC to begin with. North Carolina and Duke are not afraid of U Conn in men's basketball trust me. Id love to see U Conn in the ACC. Their football program is no worse then a N.C. State Wake Fores or Boston College and their basketball programs are better. They need to be in a power conference. Not so much the women basketball program because they can play who ever they want pretty much. But for the men's football and Basketball program .

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Sorry but i don't think the ACC is scared of U Conn. They added Louisville and Syracuse and they are great programs. U Conn men won a few titles but they have been up and down since Calhoun left The women's game has no factor in choosing a team to add to their conference . We all know women get a raw deal when it comes to these things. Football is and always has been the meal ticket and the Huskies football program is not very good. That is why U Conn ended up in the AAC to begin with. North Carolina and Duke are not afraid of U Conn in men's basketball trust me. Id love to see U Conn in the ACC. Their football program is no worse then a N.C. State Wake Fores or Boston College and their basketball programs are better. They need to be in a power conference. Not so much the women basketball program because they can play who ever they want pretty much. But for the men's football and Basketball program .

I tend to agree with this. Geographically, culturally and athletically, the ACC is hands down the best fit for UCONN.. but at this point, that'll probably never happen.

If I had my way they'd be there.

Reaction Score
I was half kidding, but seriously, the ACC is a basketball league. Why let a program in that's going to crash your party and then throw you out of it?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I'll take up for my friends down in Raleigh. NC State definitely has a better football program than UCONN. They have a really nice stadium with great facilities...
They sell out most of their games... have a strong season ticket base.. and average close to 57,000 at home games, and they go to bowl games more often than not. Plus if you think about it..... a QB that barely got playing time at NC State... transferred to UCONN and became a starter last season. State's biggest problem is they play in the same division as Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville, and they play UNC every year. Plus this season they also play Notre Dame and Miami.

I'd say that Connecticut's program is about the same level as Syracuse..... I'd put them around 10th if they were in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I'll take up for my friends down in Raleigh. NC State definitely has a better football program than UCONN. They have a really nice stadium with great facilities...
They sell out most of their games... have a strong season ticket base.. and average close to 57,000 at home games, and they go to bowl games more often than not. Plus if you think about it..... a QB that barely got playing time at NC State... transferred to UCONN and became a starter last season. State's biggest problem is they play in the same division as Florida State, Clemson, and Louisville, and they play UNC every year. Plus this season they also play Notre Dame and Miami.

I'd say that Connecticut's program is about the same level as Syracuse..... I'd put them around 10th if they were in the ACC.
The ACC has one program that is regularly relevant: FSU. Then there are a handful of other teams that make a little noise every 5-10 years. It's really not that great of a football conference. It doesn't have the tradition of the B1G, and isn't even on the same planet as the SEC. It's a league known for its basketball. If most of the teams in the P5 weren't grandfathered in, they'd be in the same boat as UConn trying to make their case based on things other than football.

Reaction Score
UConn didn't play their A game but probably played better than you thought they were capable of and maybe UConn and their offense had something to do with the Sooners looking like they were playing their C game. More to do with your own perceptions on how the game would go though a couple of events late in the game turned a relatively close game into the point spread that you mentioned that suggested a blowout game.

I always felt that Edsall stopped, or lost interest in, coaching the team in the second half. I was at the game also.

As for Pasqualoni, Syracuse fired him due to losing so many games, they also warned us about hiring him. Thanks Hathaway.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score

Just in case you missed it, Houston and BYU are the two schools that the Big 12 is focused on taking. As far as having Schiano, I believe he'll be great in C-Bus as he has much more talent than he had in Piscataway or in Tampa Bay. I do get to a couple of road games every year and I always enjoy the trips, because tOSU generally wins.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I get what Butch is saying, I think. The B10 made a mistake when it selected Rutgers, and they know it. That they have made big TV money since then doesn't make it less of a mistake. It just eliminates the most feared consequence. But, there are other consequences. While Maryland has not been outstanding since the expansion, neither have they been an embarrassment. The same cannot be said of Rutgers. If Delaney and his massive ego had it to do over again, it might not be UConn that gets picked (who knows?), but I am of the opinion that Rutgers would not be the first choice.
I didn't know that you were capable of reading the mind of Jim Delaney, but okay. The truth of the matter is at the time of the B1G's expansion there were options other than Rutgers, just as there are now. The B1G chose them despite your misgivings and hindsight. While Rutgers has been an also-ran and shows no sign of being an upper echelon team, that was known when they were selected. However you are entitled to your opinion and opinions vary.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
We can argue this issue back and forth ad nauseam and we'll all hold our own opinions and rationales, but history both past and current has shown all of us that unless and until Connecticut significantly improves its Football program, membership in a P5 Conference isn't viable. As little as 5 years ago the University of Houston was in the same situation, two years ago they hired Tom Herman and turned their entire program around and now they'll be in the Big 12 in a year. It can and does happen.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The ACC has one program that is regularly relevant: FSU. Then there are a handful of other teams that make a little noise every 5-10 years. It's really not that great of a football conference. It doesn't have the tradition of the B1G, and isn't even on the same planet as the SEC. It's a league known for its basketball. If most of the teams in the P5 weren't grandfathered in, they'd be in the same boat as UConn trying to make their case based on things other than football.

Who said anything about the ACC being the best conference? I just stated that UCONN's program would be ahead of only Boston College, Wake Forest, and maybe Syracuse in the ACC right now.

And about the whole "grandfathered" thing...... to paraphrase the esteemed rapper Kurtis Blow... Those are the Breaks

Reaction Score
We can argue this issue back and forth ad nauseam and we'll all hold our own opinions and rationales, but history both past and current has shown all of us that unless and until Connecticut significantly improves its Football program, membership in a P5 Conference isn't viable. As little as 5 years ago the University of Houston was in the same situation, two years ago they hired Tom Herman and turned their entire program around and now they'll be in the Big 12 in a year. It can and does happen.
Houston, despite having its greatest football season ever last year, still couldn't even beat lowly UConn, so I'd pump the brakes a bit on claiming that they are sooooo much better than we are.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It is worth a read.

UConn has four men's national basketball championships since 1999, 11 women's national championships since 1995. UConn had revenue of $72.16 million, easily the most among non-Power Five schools, more than five Power Five. UConn is pouring draft picks into the NBA, NFL, MLB and WNBA. UConn has won two national field hockey titles, is a contender in a number of sports and is exactly the kind of Olympic sports school that would benefit a Big 12 Network.

Reaction Score
It is worth a read.

UConn has four men's national basketball championships since 1999, 11 women's national championships since 1995. UConn had revenue of $72.16 million, easily the most among non-Power Five schools, more than five Power Five. UConn is pouring draft picks into the NBA, NFL, MLB and WNBA. UConn has won two national field hockey titles, is a contender in a number of sports and is exactly the kind of Olympic sports school that would benefit a Big 12 Network.
Apparently we're not allowed into the club until our football team can be competitive on a regular basis with Ohio State and Alabama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom