Realignment talks starting again... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Realignment talks starting again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your premise makes no sense, all of the P5 conferences had the opportunity to invite UConn and have not. Uconn's FB program just isn't very attractive and entry into the NY/NJ market was better effected by Rutgers, as the B1G has shown. Most P5 schools have a long history of conference affiliation, even the bad teams, i.e. Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota. The B1G wouldn't trade any of those teams for UConn on any day, even in your contraction scenario. The driver of expansion/realignment is CFB and no matter how many CBB Natty's Connecticut wins, unless and until it vastly improves its football program it won't be a candidate for P5 expansion.
My point was that P5 slots are valuable and are rarely available, not to mention there's theoretically a finite number of them, but most of them are taken by boat anchor schools that get those slots simply because they've been in the conference since the beginning of time and can't be kicked out. Put UConn in a P5 conference today and we're in the top half academically, top half in terms of TV markets, at the top in hoops, and there's a good chance we wouldn't be the worst football program. You don't think a conference commissioner would swap one of their deadbeat schools for us if it were possible? I guess I think too highly of UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The NYC/NE Market - if measured by numbers of tv sets - is most definitely there. It sustains 3 NFL, 3 MLB, 3 NBA, and 3 NHL pro teams. Revenues come from tix and TV. The issue is not a weak market but lack of a product (we're talking NCAA CFB) that generates appeal to this vast and potentially lucrative market - 6 states + NYC.

The Big 10 mistakenly put their chips on Rutgers to reel in the NYC market but did not anticipate the malfeasance that afflicts the RU Administration.

The ACC would be a better fit for UConn. So would the Big 10. But the Big 12 door seems to be opening, so UConn AD Benedict must now stick his foot in to keep it ajar.

Meanwhile, we can hope. Better yet, fill The Rent every Saturday.;)
The TV sets in and around NYC/NE are perfectly cable of and already do broadcast college football, therefore there is no lack of product. Additional college football content from UCONN or Rutgers etc. does not create a new market it simply provides new product to a fixed market. Any new product must be competitive in the market. Competiveness =$$$ for product owners-which is why I say someone would have figured out (improved or created) such a product by now. Despite the malfeasance of the Rutgers administration, do you believe that UCONN can create a better CFB product than Rutgers or Maryland?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My point was that P5 slots are valuable and are rarely available, not to mention there's theoretically a finite number of them, but most of them are taken by boat anchor schools that get those slots simply because they've been in the conference since the beginning of time and can't be kicked out. Put UConn in a P5 conference today and we're in the top half academically, top half in terms of TV markets, at the top in hoops, and there's a good chance we wouldn't be the worst football program. You don't think a conference commissioner would swap one of their deadbeat schools for us if it were possible? I guess I think too highly of UConn.
Dead beat is in the eye of the beholder, but based on the number of conference additions and subtractions that have happened in P5 it would appear that no P5 conference commissioner would make your proposed swap.
BC for UCONN in ACC?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can one of the moderator please move this thread to the realignment board. There are some very well informed posters over there than are more than willing to school us.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 expands, it will be all about Division I football and that means the front runners for expansion are UCF, Cinncinatti, BYU and Colorado State. UConn does not impress the Power 5 with their football team. Men's Basketball might enter into the equation a wee little bit but not enough to sway a no to a yes ........

and let's face it..... women's athletics are completely at the mercy of the men's football prospects.

From an economics standpoint it makes some sense the men's and women's athletics be in the same conference .... women's athletics would be better served if they had there own conference.

CFB and the Power Fives have ruined intercollegiate athletics all for the sake of the dollar. And now that Power 5 schools can write their own rules it will get even worse.

Reaction Score
I have a theory. I think one or two schools have gone to the B12 commissioner and said they were leaving the conference. They agreed to keep it quiet until replacement/additional schools are identified.

The reason I think this is because they just had a big meeting a few months ago and the conclusion was they would stand pat. Something is going on outside the public eye that would cause this quick turn around.

Reaction Score
Can one of the moderator please move this thread to the realignment board. There are some very well informed posters over there than are more than willing to school us.
Mods should probably clear out every thread that starts with "OT."

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Despite the malfeasance of the Rutgers administration, do you believe that UCONN can create a better CFB product than Rutgers or Maryland?

Can UConn do it? Now, no. Ultimately, they must!

That's the formidable challenge facing AD Benedict and FB Coach Diaco. It's why they were hired.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
The concept of a NYC or NE market for CFB is a myth IMO. If you draw a 250 mile circle around NYC there is not a college football program (PSU?) that has perennially ranked in the top 20/25 of CFB or has figured in the National championship picture for how long? 30 years. 40 years. Never. If such a market exists it would have been highly exploited before now.

Also, a lot of the CFB fans in the NYC area aren't fans of Northeastern/New England schools...

Reaction Score
... do you believe that UCONN can create a better CFB product than Rutgers or Maryland?

Put them on a level playing field with conference revenue/exposure/perception and there is no doubt they can, Outside of the Pasqualoni years/after effect - UConn football more than held their own on the field (and own wins against both).

Reaction Score
I think the BIG 10 is quietly regretting it's choice of Rutgers as it's East Coast/NYC area representative! If they allow do-overs Big 10 might chose UCONN!
If we never go to the Big Ten, they will definitely regret it.

Reaction Score
Rutgers also is in New Jersey and up here in the Northeast it is a hotbed for D1 football recruits.It is and only has been about football.If CBB had any pull do you really think the Big East would have broken up?The BE would have 7 of the 8 NC since 2013.It is all about FB.Yes Uconn made the Fiesta Bowl but lost by 40 to an average Oklahoma team by there standards..

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
You just lack the basic understanding of what drives decision-making in the NCAA, look at the expansion/realignment over the past 5 years. UConn hasn't even been discussed by any conference and it's because their FB program isn't relevant. Your statement that Connecticut is in the top half of TV Markets is confusing, I don't know exactly what point you're attempting to convey. If you're saying that because it's in the NY/NJ market then I think I understand. Improve the FB program significantly, the way the WCBB has improved, and there will be opportunities.

Reaction Score
Rutgers also is in New Jersey and up here in the Northeast it is a hotbed for D1 football recruits.It is and only has been about football.If CBB had any pull do you really think the Big East would have broken up?The BE would have 7 of the 8 NC since 2013.It is all about FB.Yes Uconn made the Fiesta Bowl but lost by 40 to an average Oklahoma team by there standards..
We lost the Fiesta Bowl 42-20, I believe. I love how people keep denigrating UConn football... as if we're 0-60 over the last five seasons. Did you know we've even beaten the mighty ND? Go look at the list of teams we've beaten. Lots of biiiiiiig P5 schools on that list. I'd say we would more than hold our own in a P5 conference because we've already beaten many of those teams we'd be playing against regularly. Also for such a crappy football program, it sure does put its share of players into the NFL. Go have a look at the list of schools with most alumni playing in the NFL.

Reaction Score
You just lack the basic understanding of what drives decision-making in the NCAA, look at the expansion/realignment over the past 5 years. UConn hasn't even been discussed by any conference and it's because their FB program isn't relevant. Your statement that Connecticut is in the top half of TV Markets is confusing, I don't know exactly what point you're attempting to convey. If you're saying that because it's in the NY/NJ market then I think I understand. Improve the FB program significantly, the way the WCBB has improved, and there will be opportunities.
We get it, you dislike UConn. Go troll your own team's board.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
If we never go to the Big Ten, they will definitely regret it.
The B1G is about to sign its 2nd TV Contract with Fox Sports, it is projected to be over $500 million and around $44.5 million per school, by Commissioner Jim Delaney. If that's regret, please put me down for some.

Reaction Score

I was at that game, and it was closer than the score .... it was a final score of 48-20 and 14 of does point where crazy int. return for TD by OK

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Put them on a level playing field with conference revenue/exposure/perception and there is no doubt they can, Outside of the Pasqualoni years/after effect - UConn football more than held their own on the field (and own wins against both).
But isn't putting the cart before the horse though? Before I put them in a conference with revenue sharing and level playing field don't they have to prove they can add something to that conference? The ACC snub might have been enemies of UCONN or politically driven. But the Big 10 doubled down on Rutgers and Maryland while bypassing UCONN. What accounts for these snubs?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We lost the Fiesta Bowl 42-20, I believe. I love how people keep denigrating UConn football... as if we're 0-60 over the last five seasons. Did you know we've even beaten the mighty ND? Go look at the list of teams we've beaten. Lots of biiiiiiig P5 schools on that list. I'd say we would more than hold our own in a P5 conference because we've already beaten many of those teams we'd be playing against regularly. Also for such a crappy football program, it sure does put its share of players into the NFL. Go have a look at the list of schools with most alumni playing in the NFL.
I'm not trying to denigrate UCONN football but in a made for TV event, at Yankee's stadium, when you are trying to impress P5 commissioners, UCONN cannot lose to Army and expect to remain viable contender for a P5 conference.

Reaction Score
But isn't putting the cart before the horse though? Before I put them in a conference with revenue sharing and level playing field don't they have to prove they can add something to that conference? The ACC snub might have been enemies of UCONN or politically driven. But the Big 10 doubled down on Rutgers and Maryland while bypassing UCONN. What accounts for these snubs?

You asked "do you believe that UCONN can create a better CFB product than Rutgers or Maryland". The answer is yes. The Rutgers/Maryland decisions were based on cable boxes and markets - not what happens on the court or on the field.

Reaction Score
I know it was 48-20 and yes they lost to an average Oklahoma team by their standards.They have beaten some decent teams but they also lost a few to teams that they shouldnt have.This thread is about realignment and that means College Football.

Reaction Score
UConn resides in the #30 media market in the country just ahead of Columbus OH and just below Nashville and San Diego hence my comment about it being in a bigger TV market than half of the P5 teams. In addition to that, Connecticut is also a small part of the NYC media market. Drive northeast of campus and you will find yourself in the Boston media market which is #8. I thought TV markets were a consideration for this realignment thing at one point?

Reaction Score
The reason I think this is because they just had a big meeting a few months ago and the conclusion was they would stand pat. Something is going on outside the public eye that would cause this quick turn around.

The turnaround was the ACC announcement that it had a start date for its TV network. That will make the B12 the only P5 conference without its own network. To keep up financially, the B12 needs to expand.

Reaction Score
The B1G is about to sign its 2nd TV Contract with Fox Sports, it is projected to be over $500 million and around $44.5 million per school, by Commissioner Jim Delaney. If that's regret, please put me down for some.
The University of Connecticut actually wins games. How's that for facts?

I guess $$$ mean more to you than embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom