Realignment talks starting again... | The Boneyard

Realignment talks starting again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here comes the Big 12. They are the conference I think is most likely to grab UConn, since the ACC "Big Shots" clearly seem scared of UConn's powerful Basketball programs. The biggest drawback (apart from travel) is The Rent, but it was designed with expansion in mind...

Big 12 to begin exploring expansion candidates

Reaction Score
The ACC has been scared of UConn for 20 years now. What other school has won eight basketball titles during the Obama presidency? UConn has won half of the basketball titles over the last eight years. You think the ACC wants us throwing them out of their own party?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The ACC has been scared of UConn for 20 years now. What other school has won eight basketball titles during the Obama presidency? UConn has won half of the basketball titles over the last eight years. You think the ACC wants us throwing them out of their own party?

I think you put too much importance on CBB when it comes to making a conference decision. In the grand scheme of things, CBB has about as little impact on this decision than Mulkey has style and fashion sense. Football is king and it all boils down the the all mighty $$$.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Here comes the Big 12. They are the conference I think is most likely to grab UConn, since the ACC "Big Shots" clearly seem scared of UConn's powerful Basketball programs. The biggest drawback (apart from travel) is The Rent, but it was designed with expansion in mind...

Big 12 to begin exploring expansion candidates

If that's what you want to believe then more power to you.

Reaction Score
... Mulkey has style and fashion sense.

She's admitted that she has absolutely no fashion sense at all, and that it is her friends that lay out her outfits for her. NOW...she may need to look into some of these "friends"... :p

Personally, I relish the idea of a NC game, UConn vs Baylor, with Mulkey wearing the Lamé jacket!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Does expansion with teams like UConn, Cincinnati and Houston help the Big 12 or do they remain the weakest of the Power 5. If only the Big 10 ....

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
No offense to Mulkey but I would much rather see Sherri Coale on the sideline. She's about 20 years my senior and don't tell my wife but you know what I mean....

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
But for the most part, the other "interested" teams offer something between decent and not-so-hot as football programs. Part of the discusssion will be about who is likely
to --become-- good soonest. Why not the Huskies in that case? And if it IS about money (and it is), UConn puts the B12 squarely in the NYC and NE markets, with one of most recognized brands in the East and elsewhere.

Yes, Baylor and Oklahoma will evicerate UConn is football... at first. There is no power conference in which similar football struggles would be absent. But that may not be the key criterion.

Reaction Score
I think you put too much importance on CBB when it comes to making a conference decision. In the grand scheme of things, CBB has about as little impact on this decision than Mulkey has style and fashion sense. Football is king and it all boils down the the all mighty $$$.
I hear what you're saying, but many teams in P5 conferences have terrible football teams. They've just been terrible at the D-IA level longer than us. We may have a short FBS history, but it's not like we haven't made progress since moving up. Look at the last five or six seasons, which admittedly haven't been great for which everyone bags on us, but we've beaten football powerhouses such as Rutgers a couple of times, Maryland, Houston (last year), ND, Pitt, South Carolina, and Louisville, went to a Fiesta Bowl, and put a whole bunch of players in the NFL. Given the little amount of time and money we've had at this football level, there are certainly worse programs in the P5 conferences doing a lot less with a lot more. The reality is for most of the teams that are currently in P5 conferences, they are simply lucky to be grandfathered in, and I'll bet those same schools know they'd be screwed in a contraction scenario. From an overall athletics standpoint and academic standpoint, UConn easily holds its own against the P5 schools and would be in the top half of those schools not even counting its media market which is bigger than more than half of the P5 schools' markets. If conference commissioners could swap one of their teams for UConn, I'd bet they'd do it in a heartbeat.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No offense to Mulkey but I would much rather see Sherri Coale on the sideline. She's about 20 years my senior and don't tell my wife but you know what I mean....

Sherri Hot-As-Coale

Reaction Score
Personally I think UCONN would be a better fit in the BIG 10, but beggars can't be choosers!
The BIG 12 gets a big boost if UCONN comes in representing the East/NYC region!
I do like Baylor, TX, IA St., OKLA, OKLA St., KS St., WVA, KU & TCU.
They have some pretty good WCBB coaches in the BIG 12.
One negative is the WBB Conference Tournament is usually held in KC, MO so no Mohegan Sun!
I think the BIG 10 is quietly regretting it's choice of Rutgers as it's East Coast/NYC area representative! If they allow do-overs Big 10 might chose UCONN!
UCONN though football is lower the rest of the athletics are top notch and would be a plus partner in the league!
Football and $ do rule the roost, but UCONN is improving and if they have another + year will bring FB to the table also with Bob Diaco an up & comer as FB coach!
TX has their own TV Network do they give that up for a BIG 12 Network?
Just throwing things out there and see what sticks.........

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
UConn has to guarantee expansion of the Rent to 60,000+ for 1917 plus an annual "home game" in the Meadowlands to showcase the conference in NYC. Also conference access to New England TV market (little competition, unlike Texas, California or SEC turf).

If the Big 12 adds 4 (to 14 from present 10) that makes for East and West Divisions to lessen travel and set up E vs. W championship game.

Worth a shot.

Reaction Score
Looking long term, it seems pretty obvious that Texas and Oklahoma will eventually bolt that conference, most likely for the Big Ten (although I don't know if Oklahoma qualifies academically). Without those two behemoths, that conference will need to be creative to remain a power conference. At that point, the Big 12 could conceivably expand to 16 teams in order to market itself as a national conference. In that scenario, as many as 4-6 AAC teams would become members; UConn, with its close proximity to ESPN and the NY and Boston metro areas would certainly be included. Five 16-team conferences leaves 80 high-powered football programs; shouldn't that really be enough to satiate everyone?!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
She's admitted that she has absolutely no fashion sense at all, and that it is her friends that lay out her outfits for her. NOW...she may need to look into some of these "friends"... :p

Personally, I relish the idea of a NC game, UConn vs Baylor, with Mulkey wearing the Lamé jacket!
And a feather boa. Geno though has to wear a Seersucker suit and a straw hat.

Reaction Score
Just saw on the local news, Orlando, Fl, that UCF is building a new campus downtown, and is being considered by the B12 for 2018. Anyone else have info on this. UCF??

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think the Big 12 needs to add a couple of teams. To make it a stronger conference. The football conference championship game cancelled after the last teams left the Big 12. The two need it to bring in more money. I would be curious to see what schools are interested in going ton the Big 12.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But for the most part, the other "interested" teams offer something between decent and not-so-hot as football programs. Part of the discusssion will be about who is likely
to --become-- good soonest. Why not the Huskies in that case? And if it IS about money (and it is), UConn puts the B12 squarely in the NYC and NE markets, with one of most recognized brands in the East and elsewhere. Yes, Baylor and Oklahoma will evicerate UConn is football... at first. There is no power conference in which similar football struggles would be absent. But that may not be the key criterion.
The concept of a NYC or NE market for CFB is a myth IMO. If you draw a 250 mile circle around NYC there is not a college football program (PSU?) that has perennially ranked in the top 20/25 of CFB or has figured in the National championship picture for how long? 30 years. 40 years. Never. If such a market exists it would have been highly exploited before now.

Reaction Score
I agree with ETT that expansion has nothing to do with CBB.When the P5 conferences were set it was all about CFB and not the other sports.The NCAA were worried about losing the revenue from those 5 conferences if they broke off from the NCAA in football and started there own association.As for basketball being a P5s.The AAC has won 6 of 8 National Championship since 2013.Coaches talk on both sides men and women CBB about being a P5 school and try to sell that to recruits,LOL.Power 5 is College Football and the other sports are just along for the ride.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Can't see the B12 accepting UConn, as UConn is so far out of their Geographic Fan Base. They'll accept schools like Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati prior to UConn despite the academic standings of UConn and BB Prowess. IMHO the B10 and ACC are the better fit for UConn.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I get excoriated on this Board for making the same observation, every time this question is posed and this discussion results.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying, but many teams in P5 conferences have terrible football teams. They've just been terrible at the D-IA level longer than us. We may have a short FBS history, but it's not like we haven't made progress since moving up. Look at the last five or six seasons, which admittedly haven't been great for which everyone bags on us, but we've beaten football powerhouses such as Rutgers a couple of times, Maryland, Houston (last year), ND, Pitt, South Carolina, and Louisville, went to a Fiesta Bowl, and put a whole bunch of players in the NFL. Given the little amount of time and money we've had at this football level, there are certainly worse programs in the P5 conferences doing a lot less with a lot more. The reality is for most of the teams that are currently in P5 conferences, they are simply lucky to be grandfathered in, and I'll bet those same schools know they'd be screwed in a contraction scenario. From an overall athletics standpoint and academic standpoint, UConn easily holds its own against the P5 schools and would be in the top half of those schools not even counting its media market which is bigger than more than half of the P5 schools' markets. If conference commissioners could swap one of their teams for UConn, I'd bet they'd do it in a heartbeat.
Your premise makes no sense, all of the P5 conferences had the opportunity to invite UConn and have not. Uconn's FB program just isn't very attractive and entry into the NY/NJ market was better effected by Rutgers, as the B1G has shown. Most P5 schools have a long history of conference affiliation, even the bad teams, i.e. Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota. The B1G wouldn't trade any of those teams for UConn on any day, even in your contraction scenario. The driver of expansion/realignment is CFB and no matter how many CBB Natty's Connecticut wins, unless and until it vastly improves its football program it won't be a candidate for P5 expansion.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Personally I think UCONN would be a better fit in the BIG 10, but beggars can't be choosers!

I think the BIG 10 is quietly regretting it's choice of Rutgers as it's East Coast/NYC area representative! If they allow do-overs Big 10 might chose UCONN!
UCONN though football is lower the rest of the athletics are top notch and would be a plus partner in the league!.

To the first point yes, and heck yes. The B10's addition of Nebraska had been mulled for a long time, but the Rutgers add was, I think, impulsive and mistaken. Leading to your second point, the Rutgers coaching scandals, litigation, cheating, etc., were felt all the way out here on the prairie. And, as it turns out, they haven't been terribly successful in sports anyway. It was a headscratcher.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The concept of a NYC or NE market for CFB is a myth IMO. If you draw a 250 mile circle around NYC there is not a college football program (PSU?) that has perennially ranked in the top 20/25 of CFB or has figured in the National championship picture for how long? 30 years. 40 years. Never. If such a market exists it would have been highly exploited before now.

The NYC/NE Market - if measured by numbers of tv sets - is most definitely there. It sustains 3 NFL, 3 MLB, 3 NBA, and 3 NHL pro teams. Revenues come from tix and TV. The issue is not a weak market but lack of a product (we're talking NCAA CFB) that generates appeal to this vast and potentially lucrative market - 6 states + NYC.

The Big 10 mistakenly put their chips on Rutgers to reel in the NYC market but did not anticipate the malfeasance that afflicts the RU Administration.

The ACC would be a better fit for UConn. So would the Big 10. But the Big 12 door seems to be opening, so UConn AD Benedict must now stick his foot in to keep it ajar.

Meanwhile, we can hope. Better yet, fill The Rent every Saturday.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom