RB Laray Smith | Page 2 | The Boneyard

RB Laray Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If he wants to pursue both Track and football how can he choose any school in his top 3 over Uconn? The track program is top notch one of the best in the country. The football program is an up and coming program he can help get to the next level, and we have had many past football players do both most notably Kashif Moore. Come on Laray!

im not trying to be a party pooper here but gere it is:
-we have a good track program and do well for who we compete vs
-we are not a eilte progrma on a national level
-he has top program type speed not mid level. he would be the king here day 1 on campus...
-as far as i know cuse is not either but maybe im wrong
-indiana is a national program, like top 25 type program in track

so as far as schools who offer big time track nd will let him play fball, indiana has the highest program level in both sports.

this is why i have been harping on him and joking about other things like bomb threats. its going to take a couple yarders here to band together and plan out a all out assult on airports and the indiana campus this weekend. so who is with me?!?!?!

note to ct police and fbi-i am for real :eek:

Reaction Score
Sounds like he never got the offer he wanted (Oregon).

Reaction Score
Yup... Two key comments:

"He’s also hoping to gain the attention of Florida and Oregon in the next few months, schools where he’d like to play both sports."

"The picture could become clearer — or murkier — when he runs the indoor nationals March 8-10 at the Armory in Manhattan. A good performance there could attract more college scholarship offers in track, giving Smith, already confused, even more options to mull"

I don't get it. His track numbers are well known I'm sure within the track community. What's 1 indoor meet going to do to change that? If he's confused after this week it will come down to a purely emotional trigger imho. I don't blame him for wanting FL and Oregon attention. In those 2 sports everybody does but UConn still has a lot to offer..

Reaction Score
Facts just don't back up the "elite track program" speed for Smith. Our RB commit Josh Marriner has multiple 55m times that are faster than Smith. Marriner is also bigger. Smith is not one of these Florida Players that are truly elite on the track. I would be giddy with a Smith commit, but just pointing out the incorrect speed perceptions.

By bigger I mean Ray Rice low center of gravity type big at 5'9" 190 while Smith is 6'1" 180.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Kids fall through the cracks in the last week. Let's see what shakes out while we keep the door open for him to actually commit if he's ready. If not, move on.

pj

Reaction Score
Smith has elite speed from 100m to 400m. Make no mistake, he is fast. If he focused on shorter distances he would be exceptionally fast there too. Marriner is also extremely fast, but Marriner has focused his training in football and has optimized his body for football and running over football distances.

Smith is a diamond in the rough football wise. He has a clear path to a professional track career, football has the potential to be worth more money but the risks of failure are higher; he has to develop as a receiver, runner, and avoid injury. I can see why it is a tough call for him. Similarly I can see why Oregon and Florida will be reluctant to devote a football scholarship to him, there's no guarantee he'll develop as a football player.

He should follow his heart and do what he loves. I hope that turns out to be football at UConn.

Reaction Score
Smith doesn't run the 55m, he competes in 200 and 400 - like comparing apples and oranges in a track meet.

Smith was named a track All-American at the USATF Junior Olympics in the 200 and 400 meters in July. Then earlier this month, he registered the fastest 300 and 400 meter times in the country for a high school runner.

Thanks for the details. I am not a track guy, but I just looked at the shorter distance times as that is what is applicable to the football field. Given his 400M times, I am surprised he hasn't had more scholly interest from his track performance. Seems like the odds of him committing to UConn are slim. at least until he fully assess the interest from better track schools.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the details. I am not a track guy, but I just looked at the shorter distance times as that is what is applicable to the football field. Given his 400M times, I am surprised he hasn't had more scholly interest from his track performance. Seems like the odds of him committing to UConn are slim. at least until he fully assess the interest from better track schools.

I'm sure he has plenty of interest from schools for track, but if he wants to be a dual-sport athlete, then that narrows down the possibilities because the school will have to have a good football program and want him for football (because he will automatically count against the football scholarship limit).

Reaction Score
A fully funded division 1 track program has 12 scholarships to offer. There aren't a lot of track scholarships to give out in any given year across the land.

now football on the other hand........

Reaction Score
Added bonus, the UConn student section can chant Laray, Laray, Laray, the way Mets fans use to cheer for Jose Reyes, when he scores TDs. Think he will get that at Indiana?;)

Reaction Score
Let's seal the deal with Laray, we have a great track and field program too.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that come Signing Day we are going to have to impose a one-month moratorium on PP bashing throughout the entire BY forum.

BTW it's a testament to the future of our university that despite CR issues, we are still taking it to Cuse and BC on the recruting trails. I know all the commits aren't official yet, but seems like good times are ahead folks.

PP is recruiting big, Ollie has the team lined up for a monster season next year, women's hoops just dominates, hockey is going up, soccer is damn good, our baseball team puts 3 prospects in the top 40 in MLB, lacrosse getting off the ground, the state is pumping research money into UConn big time.
We are a monster that our local rivals won't keep down no matter how hard they try

Reaction Score
I get the feeling that come Signing Day we are going to have to impose a one-month moratorium on PP bashing throughout the entire BY forum.

BTW it's a testament to the future of our university that despite CR issues, we are still taking it to Cuse and BC on the recruting trails. I know all the commits aren't official yet, but seems like good times are ahead folks.

PP is recruiting big, Ollie has the team lined up for a monster season next year, women's hoops just dominates, hockey is going up, soccer is damn good, our baseball team puts 3 prospects in the top 40 in MLB, lacrosse getting off the ground, the state is pumping research money into UConn big time.
We are a monster that our local rivals won't keep down no matter how hard they try

Love the attitude and confidence. I'm a little too neurotic to jump on board fully, but, still, love it.

pj

Reaction Score
Happy Friday everyone. Looks like Laray and Chasz Wright will be visiting this weekend.

I know you posted the same information twice so everyone would give you two likes for it. It worked!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Are we sure this kid is coming?

Twitter has him here and in Indiana.

Reaction Score
Are we sure this kid is coming?

Twitter has him here and in Indiana.

No clue... Dez sez he's coming but I'm seeing the same conflciting info you are.

Maybe doing a doubleheader... Indiana today - UConn tomorrow?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm willing to bet there are several factors in play here
1) there is a rumor of prep school needed, this could effect schools bringing him in for a visit
2) dez tweet was what started this mess today. he could be right, but he said weekend not friday. laray could be in indiana today and sunday at uconn type deal.
3) trip to indiana would be a official so he will stay there over night, so sat is a no go with uconn imho, sunday is possible
4)dez could be reading this weeks visitos sheet or getting read that sheet by a uconn source. laray had booked a unofficial here for this weekend but they indiana came along this week. completely possible the uconn list does not have last minute changes and dez is just unaware of whats actually going on
5)dez could ahve inside info, laray does need prep so indiana backs off last minute and uconn is helping him get to prep somewhere during his visit...

like i said earlier, a lot of things in play. we shall see. hes a hour and a half ride up the highway, we will figure it out. if he picks indaian its becuase they are a serious track program and nothing more. its uconn if both matter and cuse or uconn if he has to prep(which he leans to help with prep school choice and so on).....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom