Rayshawn Phillips QB from Capital Prep in HTFD | The Boneyard

Rayshawn Phillips QB from Capital Prep in HTFD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looking at his highlights he looks, big, mobile, with a big arm. What I liked best was that he doesn't put max rpms on every throw. No idea what his grade situation is or if any one else is recruiting him, but does anyone know if we are looking him at all?

Could see Whipple getting involved with a kid like this.

Reaction Score
I don't know, but is anyone sure if somebody on the football staff monitors this board? It sure would be ridiculous if a poster finds a player, in-state or not, and none of our coaches learns about it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
6'3 220lbs c/o 2016... Reminds me of Syarcuse great Donovan McNabb a little...sprinkle in a little Cam Newton/RGIII.. He stands tall in the pocket... shows command, and can run with it if need be... What's there not to like about him?

IMO, we better be recruiting this kid... If not hard enough, and he ends up at a place like Syracuse, or RU, or BCU... I'd be peeved...

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
6'3 220lbs c/o 2016... Reminds me of Syarcuse great Donovan McNabb a little...sprinkle in a little Cam Newton/RGIII.. He stands tall in the pocket... shows command, and can run with it if need be... What's there not to like about him?

IMO, we better be recruiting this kid... If not hard enough, and he ends up at a place like Syracuse, or RU, or BCU... I'd be peeved...

What about Fordham and Stony Brook?

Reaction Score
Apologies if my sarcasm detector is not working, but a junior with no stars (yes, I know you'll say the star system means absolutely nothing), no offers that I can see, who plays class S football in the hotbed state of CT would be a Donovan Mcnabb/ Cam Newton like miss?

Reaction Score
I don't know, but is anyone sure if somebody on the football staff monitors this board? It sure would be ridiculous if a poster finds a player, in-state or not, and none of our coaches learns about it.

This staff knows who Phillips is... they have recruited Capital Prep previously.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about stars. Only way a CT kid is,getting rated is if they do the camp circuit thing like Cochran and Boyle did. Kid is intriguing, and I'm wondering if there was any contact on the recruiting front between the kid and us.

Reaction Score
Apologies if my sarcasm detector is not working, but a junior with no stars (yes, I know you'll say the star system means absolutely nothing), no offers that I can see, who plays class S football in the hotbed state of CT would be a Donovan Mcnabb/ Cam Newton like miss?

I'm just toughing on what I saw.. he looks like he can play... I'm not saying he's the 2nd coming of either player... but if you wanna take it that way do so... I bet he's a little more talented than the kids that were there when you and I were up in Storrs (late 80's to early 90's)...

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If we bring in another in-state QB, I think certain posters might spontaneously combust.

Reaction Score
We bring in, at best, kids listed as 3* QBs... which, so far, for us, hasn't shown a big difference from a kid with 0 to 2*... So, if we choose to consider this trend, and not make that jump to a 4 or 5*, how could a kid like this hurt? It's like we keep rolling the dice (ever since Dan O left us for the NFL) and keep crapping out... but one day (one day) we'll get the jackpot and cash in... one day....

Reaction Score
Athletic and good build, with decent touch on his throws, but i'm not really convinced on arm strength...

Reaction Score
Athletic and good build, with decent touch on his throws, but i'm not really convinced on arm strength...
....Or the level of competition. The Constitution State Conference is the weakest football conference in the state. Phillips certainly looks the part. He put up good numbers last season and led his team to the Class S Small Championship. Let's be honest Capital Prep plays no one. They faced two football teams with championship tradition last year, New London to open the season and North Branford to close it. Capital Prep lost to New London 10-0. Phillips was 8-23-69, 6 INTs, 0 TDs. They beat N.Branford for the Class S Small Title, 20-13. Phillips was 8-16-71, 0 TDs. Essentially, he threw for 2600 yards and 29 TDs against a bunch of bad tech school teams.

I highly doubt he's on the staffs list of potential QB recruits. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Phillips being offered a scholarship or as a preferred walk-on.

Reaction Score
....Or the level of competition. The Constitution State Conference is the weakest football conference in the state. Phillips certainly looks the part. He put up good numbers last season and led his team to the Class S Small Championship. Let's be honest Capital Prep plays no one. They faced two football teams with championship tradition last year, New London to open the season and North Branford to close it. Capital Prep lost to New London 10-0. Phillips was 8-23-69, 6 INTs, 0 TDs. They beat N.Branford for the Class S Small Title, 20-13. Phillips was 8-16-71, 0 TDs. Essentially, he threw for 2600 yards and 29 TDs against a bunch of bad tech school teams.

I highly doubt he's on the staffs list of potential QB recruits. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see Phillips being offered a scholarship or as a preferred walk-on.
I would hope he at least camps at the school. Physical tools look like they're there. Good info by you though, thanks.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys really have no clue about the levels oh high school football in the country. You go to many of these states and football coach is a full time position. Sometimes a few assistants are too. Not some history teacher cozying on the side. One reason CT kids aren't rated is they are almost universally untested with below average coaching.

Reaction Score
Some of you guys really have no clue about the levels oh high school football in the country. You go to many of these states and football coach is a full time position. Sometimes a few assistants are too. Not some history teacher cozying on the side. One reason CT kids aren't rated is they are almost universally untested with below average coaching.
The guy who mentioned Phillips to me, is a successful local FCS coach that is currently tied to the area. He was good enough to be offered the restricted earnings position by Edsall, when he interviewed for RB coach, a position that went to Terry Richardson. He played CFB for in California for Mike Belloti. He says the kid can play I believe him over some guy knocking a CT HS coach for no reason. CT isnt Texas when it comes to FB? No sheet, got any other pearls of wisdom to share.

A lot of CT kids have made an impact at UConn in FB. One that no one else offered just went in the first round. I have no idea what your post has to do with anything.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Any update on this kid's recruitment? Ideally we get Rose as a second QB and take a flier on Phillips similar to what we did with Bisack from Warde (F Ludlow) last class

Reaction Score
Any update on this kid's recruitment? Ideally we get Rose as a second QB and take a flier on Phillips similar to what we did with Bisack from Warde (F Ludlow) last class

Phillips is no longer at Capital Prep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger