Rapid Decline of BC Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rapid Decline of BC Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
BCU is a fish out of water in the ACC. If you want to play in the ACC, why on earth would you go to Boston? That is a major reason for their decline.

Ironically, UConn in the ACC would help them by making the ACC relevant in New England. Not that that I lust over the ACC, it is a hollow conference. I think the BE is just fine especially since we're in a position to dominate it. The B10 would be my dream conference.

Reaction Score
BCU is a fish out of water in the ACC. If you want to play in the ACC, why on earth would you go to Boston? That is a major reason for their decline.

Ironically, UConn in the ACC would help them by making the ACC relevant in New England. Not that that I lust over the ACC, it is a hollow conference. I think the BE is just fine especially since we're in a position to dominate it. The B10 would be my dream conference.

Really thought the first part of your post made sense. UConn in the ACC would help BCU, but also Syracuse & Pitt by giving them a larger northeast presence.

Reaction Score

Somebody buy me a lottery ticket. and check the sky for pigs with wings. I agree. UConn in the projected ACC lineup would do more then make New England market relevant, it would give them NYC.

But that's not what the leadership at Boston College wants. I said it before, I'll say it again....It'd be scared tless if I was attached to Syracuse, with Boston College being the only home and home scheduling partner they've got going forward. Pittsburgh has close connections to the mid-atlantic region, Syracuse and BC? ruh-roh. Enjoy that paycheck, because it's going to get harder and harder for the athletic department moving forward.

Football is a sport that can be spread out, the way that the Big EAst has, and survive and actually thrive, scheduling all 4 time zones for football will be big deal for the big east - we can get more games on TV, to a wider audience.

Entire athletic departments don't work that way, which is why big east expansion around football, and addition of entire athletic departments, since 2010, has involved going into areas of the country that are all major transportation hubs via air travel, and have at least two scheduling partners within close proximity.

I hope that the UConn contingent at MSG does give Syracuse a nice hand, after we beat them on Thursday afternoon. It will be very strange to not see the Orangemen at MSG in the future. But we'll get used to it right quick.

Reaction Score
Interesting to note that on an ESPN poll more people in Massachusetts look forward to the Big East tournament than the ACC tournament, by a margin of 41% to 33% with over 4,000 votes. Someone pass that on to the BE offices. Out of all new England states, only Maine cares more for the ACC than the BE. All are wide margins, except for NH, 37%-36%. Maine is 42%-35%, in favor of the ACC.

Big East tournament is the third most popular tournament, nationwide. B1G at #1 and ACC at #2.

I think Maine has 3 people that are interested in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Interesting to note that on an ESPN poll more people in Massachusetts look forward to the Big East tournament than the ACC tournament, by a margin of 41% to 33% with over 4,000 votes. Someone pass that on to the BE offices. Out of all new England states, only Maine cares more for the ACC than the BE. All are wide margins, except for NH, 37%-36%. Maine is 42%-35%, in favor of the ACC.

Big East tournament is the third most popular tournament, nationwide. B1G at #1 and ACC at #2.

Interesting polls. Especially the national aspect. Not surprising to me that New England numbers are that way, and most of the population of Maine lives in the Portland, southern coast area, and if you did a study, you'd find a lot of people there that are ACC alumni - having gone south for warmer climates during college, and then come home after college.

What would be interesting to see as a follow up, would be the actual viewership data collections. My hypothesis, would be that even though nationally, the Big East tournament shows up third in the polls, according to wherever this came from......because of simple population density, actual viewership of the big east tournament would exceed the others. Especially semifinals and championship games.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Out of the fear of becoming Providence, BC has become the DePaul of the ACC.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
It'd be scared tless if I was attached to Syracuse, with Boston College being the only home and home scheduling partner they've got going forward. Pittsburgh has close connections to the mid-atlantic region, Syracuse and BC? ruh-roh. Enjoy that paycheck, because it's going to get harder and harder for the athletic department moving forward.

A liittle known fact making the rounds at the tourney is that in the history of Big East football, Syracuse has finished in LAST PLACE more than any school; including Temple.

Reaction Score
A liittle known fact making the rounds at the tourney is that in the history of Big East football, Syracuse has finished in LAST PLACE more than any school; including Temple.

Reaction Score
Well, in their defense, they had more chances!;)

Reaction Score
If there was a Vegas line on who has more wins in a given year, I think the men's hoop team would favored by 4 over the gridiron gang.

This year they combined to amass 13 wins.

Reaction Score
By the way, those combined 13 wins are tied with Texas Tech for dead last among BCS schools.

Reaction Score
First BC- next up Pitt and Cuse to crash when they leave.

Some of the comments to the article which are below the story hit BC's problem right on the head about the lack of any rivalries for them within the ACC. I suppose Cuse might help and become a BC rival in a couple of years, but UCONN into the ACC is still the key to making their leaving the Big East work.

Ha ha one of the highlights of every morning at work is going for a coffee and walking by Boston College fans and hearing nothing from them about any college athletics. They are in consequential in just about any meaningful sport and they know it.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Love seeing BC fail miserably. Let's all just hope our Men's BBall program doesn't sink to a horrific level starting next season if this ban holds and recruiting is impacted. Plus if Calhoun decides to hang it up we may find ourselves lost for awhile.

The article seems to blame the AD as the problem and thankfully UConn seems to have solved that issue with our recent hire. However, let's not be so quick to revel in BC's downfall when our basketball team's might be on the horizon.

(Sorry to be a buzz kill but the implications of this tourny ban s*** scares me)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BCU would probably still be pretty good if they didn't fire their coach out of spite. Flipper showed him.

Reaction Score

Big Ten/Eleven/Twelve has a tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul