Ranking #3 Mike Nebrich | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ranking #3 Mike Nebrich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bob Diaco did not leave Notre Dame the way that "college coaches leave today." Moorhead didn't leave UCONN that way. Just wanted to add that. There is no generalization there to be made about the "way coaches leave".

Congrats again to Nebrich and Moorhead for coming out of the mess they found themselves in after Edsall left, and doing it very successfully, and putting up eye-popping offensive numbers at Fordham, and attracting pro-scouts. That mess, involved a completely underrecruited offense, and a coaching change with no direction, no fit, and being displaced from the get go - and still trying to make it work. Admirable, and I am truly happy for them coming out what they found themselves in from January 2, 2011 to December 2011 - the way they did. It was a mess, as far as I'm concerned, and nobody is going to define for me, what my words mean.

We fell off into a hole BECAUSE OF THE HIRING OF PASQUALONI - just so everybody knows where I stand, and I clarified that before once already too, right up there above this, that we are still trying to climb out of, and maybe, I should go into the basement and sacrifice a whole bunch of chickens, because tomorrow night would really be a great opportunity to get one of those WTF wins that can kickstart things going the right away, and sacrificing chickens to make it happen, makes about as much sense to me, as what we've been doing as far as game planning and game time decision making. Mostly, because I refuse to accept that this season is a throwaway season. Everything else about the direction we are going in, is positive. Except the game planning and decision making this season in game. Things tend to make sense, if you accept that it's a throwaway season. I do not accept it, and won't. I'd rather see a coaching staff, take what they have and do everything possible to get wins, week to week. Just me.

I will now take this cup of coffee that got pissed in this morning, and dump it out, and start anew.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Bob Diaco did not leave Notre Dame the way that "college coaches leave today." Moorhead didn't leave UCONN that way. Just wanted to add that. There is no generalization there to be made about the "way coaches leave"..

Assistant coaches and head coaches are two different animals.

Edsall left the program chock full of NFL players. Maybe not on offense, but nothing like what PP left in the cupboard

Reaction Score
Edsall did a magnificent job of building a College Football Program - from scratch (trailers). I'm going to vehemently disagree with any opinion that doesn't begin there. Subtle & specific criticism is appropriate. There was plenty to make you feel somewhat dyspeptic.

It's a far different job to take a solid tradition earned program to regular top. 25. He's trying that now - Jury's out.

Reaction Score
While on the topic of Nebrich, Tebucky Jones Jr is averaging almost 100 yards per game for them. Not sure what impact he would have had at UCONN, but its nice to see him having a good career. Word is his dad never liked PP and was looking to get him out of there.

Reaction Score
Assistant coaches and head coaches are two different animals.

Edsall left the program chock full of NFL players. Maybe not on offense, but nothing like what PP left in the cupboard

Nothing better to do than dredge up the cupboard bare crap huh? I suppose it's ok, to only recruit one side of the ball well? Our OL recruiting depth problem, which is the problem that we are struggling to fix right now goes back to 2007-2008 recruiting cycle. Edsall simply wasn't bringing enough in anymore. Kevin Friend and Steve Greene were the only 2 OL's signed in 2009. Kuracea, Bennett, and Masters were the only ones taken in 2008. 2010, Gus Cruz, Hansson, and Paull. 2011 - Gifford and Nwokeji. That's what Edsall left behind.

Pasqualoni was at least attempting to bring in adequate numbers on the OL. Diaco, did the same thing, and brought 5 OL's in his first class.

When two coaching staffs within 3 years come in and immediately identify the OL depth as a problem? Yeah - Saint Randy had nothing to do with that. We are climbing out of the hole that Pasqualoni created, by his management and coaching of the program, but cleaning up the OL, which we are sucking through right now - predates Pasqualoni the destroyer.

Reaction Score
Bob Diaco did not leave Notre Dame the way that "college coaches leave today." Moorhead didn't leave UCONN that way. Just wanted to add that. There is no generalization there to be made about the "way coaches leave".

Congrats again to Nebrich and Moorhead for coming out of the mess they found themselves in after Edsall left, and doing it very successfully, and putting up eye-popping offensive numbers at Fordham, and attracting pro-scouts. That mess, involved a completely underrecruited offense, and a coaching change with no direction, no fit, and being displaced from the get go - and still trying to make it work. Admirable, and I am truly happy for them coming out what they found themselves in from January 2, 2011 to December 2011 - the way they did. It was a mess, as far as I'm concerned, and nobody is going to define for me, what my words mean.

We fell off into a hole BECAUSE OF THE HIRING OF PASQUALONI - just so everybody knows where I stand, and I clarified that before once already too, right up there above this, that we are still trying to climb out of, and maybe, I should go into the basement and sacrifice a whole bunch of chickens, because tomorrow night would really be a great opportunity to get one of those WTF wins that can kickstart things going the right away, and sacrificing chickens to make it happen, makes about as much sense to me, as what we've been doing as far as game planning and game time decision making. Mostly, because I refuse to accept that this season is a throwaway season. Everything else about the direction we are going in, is positive. Except the game planning and decision making this season in game. Things tend to make sense, if you accept that it's a throwaway season. I do not accept it, and won't. I'd rather see a coaching staff, take what they have and do everything possible to get wins, week to week. Just me.

I will now take this cup of coffee that got pissed in this morning, and dump it out, and start anew.

HCBD, unless I'm way off, was not the head football coach at Notre Dame. How an assistant moves on has zippo to do with how a head coach moves on to a bigger program.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else notice all threads tend to regress into the same discussion/argument the longer a thread is alive??

These are the types of debates I generally sit out. Regardless of how Edsall left, the problem begins and ends with the hiring of P. you Jeff Hathaway.

Reaction Score
HCBD, unless I'm way off, was not the head football coach at Notre Dame. How an assistant moves on has zippo to do with how a head coach moves on to a bigger program.

Rather than change direction of the discussion, I would prefer you just admit that the 'what's the legal term - mindnumbingly idiotic - with all due respect" insult out of nowhere was unwarranted in response to what I wrote about Nebrich, and you read something into a simple comment I made, that wasn't there. Contrary to others around here, I do actually write, with the conscious effort, with all due respect, write the same things I would be comfortable saying directly to someone.

Reaction Score
You seem to be having a problem with me actually responding to what you say, as opposed to what you'd like responses to be. Each of my responses of you have been fairly directed to your words.

Have a nice day. I didn't do a 241 after Tulane because the game was so unwatchable that I couldn't even pay enough attention for three hours to observe anything meaningful. I admire anyone who can pay close enough attention.

Reaction Score
I understand the sentiment, but he left the way college coaches leave today. I don't like it and it has no place in what is supposed to be state run educational institutions, but it is what it is.

And Spackler wasn't talking about process -- Spackler was talking about what was left. Which was as good defensive talent as was in the conference, a solid OL and below average playmakers. Maybe we have a QB issue with Edsall, and maybe between Box and Nebrich moving to more of a spread we don't, We will never know. What we do know is that P utterly destroyed this program. And fixating on one single recruiting class that still had a month to go as more than a potentially down recruiting year is just disingenuous.

I hate to jump in to the fray, but I do dare you to name ONE other coach that left the way Randy did. I was a big fan while he was here, but I have never seen a more classless, clueless, thoughtless exit in my life. He took a bad process to dizzying new lows.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Regardless of how he left - he certainly didnt leave a MESS in my view - but what do I know, I am just a Bonehead poster on the Boneyard - like the rest of you.

Now - everybody kiss and make up, chest bump, whatever - but stop attacking one another - we are on the same team!!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Edsall left just like Diaco. One day he was at school A. The next he was at school B. That he didn't say goodbye personally doesn't really matter. They both had a day they left.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I hate to jump in to the fray, but I do dare you to name ONE other coach that left the way Randy did. I was a big fan while he was here, but I have never seen a more classless, clueless, thoughtless exit in my life. He took a bad process to dizzying new lows.

Well Kiffin at Tennessee was probably worse.

Reaction Score

Edsall's situation was somewhat unique because he stayed and wouldn't talk about leaving until the Bowl game. Unlike most of the scumbags in this sport, who at the first whiff of more money would be gone without worrying about the team trying to complete its season. See, e.g., Kelley, Brian. That created the timing pressure that Maryland felt it was under and imposed on him.

Had Edsall left the way he did in early December of that year, I'm with you. But the situation that so pisses many of you off was created because he refused to abandon his team for personal wealth until after it had comleted its season.

Reaction Score
Mike Nebrich is doing really well at Fordham in the offense that his head coach, and offensive coaches have put in place. He's earned himself the potential to play in the NFL, and Moorhead is well along in bringing a winning tradition back to the college football program that produced Vince Lombardi. I'm happy to see their success. I'm happy to see college football in New York City become popular again.

Reaction Score
Well Kiffin at Tennessee was probably worse.
No it wasn't, Kiffin talked to his team before reading his departure statement on the UT campus and notified the UT AD and president before that. He did it right, Edsall snuck out the back door.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Edsall's situation was somewhat unique because he stayed and wouldn't talk about leaving until the Bowl game. Unlike most of the scumbags in this sport, who at the first whiff of more money would be gone without worrying about the team trying to complete its season. See, e.g., Kelley, Brian. That created the timing pressure that Maryland felt it was under and imposed on him.

Had Edsall left the way he did in early December of that year, I'm with you. But the situation that so pisses many of you off was created because he refused to abandon his team for personal wealth until after it had comleted its season.

I think you are leaving out key parts of how he left. Like not talking to the team and not flying back with them (after he told Todman that he had to tell the team he was leaving). And.....it might have been better if he left in December...who knows how much he was focused on the bowl game. Maybe a coordinator could have had the team better prepared.

But...while I do think he could have handled his exit better...I am still an Edsall fan and appreciate everything he did for the program.

Reaction Score

He could have taken the team plane to Storrs, had a private team meeting explaining things and wishing his players well and then left quietly, instead he said great game guys we'll gettem next year stuff, oh btw I'm taking a later flight. He then flew straight to DC and his players heard it on the news. What he did stunk. To call it unique is a gross understatement.

Reaction Score
I think you are leaving out key parts of how he left. Like not talking to the team and not flying back with them (after he told Todman that he had to tell the team he was leaving). And.....it might have been better if he left in December...who knows how much he was focused on the bowl game. Maybe a coordinator could have had the team better prepared.

But...while I do think he could have handled his exit better...I am still an Edsall fan and appreciate everything he did for the program.
I too am still an Edsall fan for what he did for the program and the school, and I know why he left also, and do not blame him for that either, but the way he did it was just terrible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Thanks for the revisionist history lesson, Mrs. Edsall. He left a team on the tarmac, including his staff. He said nothing to them, leaving them to learn it about it through the media. Is it possible he stayed because he knew he'd never again get a whiff of 3 letters --- BCS? He could have left before the game (see e.g., Kelley, Brian) or a day or 2 after. But you're probably right, I am guessing UMd said, "be here by noon tomorrow, or we move on to e.g., Leach, Mike." Most institutions make major hiring decisions that way - ask Chappy.

I just said on another piece how I hate looking backward, so I'll move on and return you and Spackler to the mindnumbingly idiotic conversation I so rudely interrupted.

Reaction Score
Puppy4 - I hope that #27 gets back on the field soon, if not mistaken it's been longer than expected. Haven't seen anything on him in a month. I hope he completes his degree and is doing well off the field. Sincerely. When I'm sitting in the stands in December seeing the seniors off, hopefully not alone, but maybe so unless things change the second half of our season - he'll be among those that I'll be thinking of the good memories.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No it wasn't, Kiffin talked to his team before reading his departure statement on the UT campus and notified the UT AD and president before that. He did it right, Edsall snuck out the back door.

You are ignoring the rest of the stuff he did going out the door.

It's an odd obsession 4 years later. Nothing in the world changes if he tells the team personally. Unless you are one of the guys on the team why would you care anymore?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger