Ranking #3 Mike Nebrich | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ranking #3 Mike Nebrich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
gioff23 said:
Boyle's operating under his 3rd HC and 3rd OC since arriving 15 months ago. Before lableling a teenager a failure, which is what some here take great pride in, you might want to see if he can develop in ONE system. And I never understood the fixation with the laundry list of QBs that quit. If they found a better place to play and go to school, good for them.

I think you are missing the point. Why would very talented kids not want to compete for the job?

They must see that QB is not a position of strength for us. Yet they run for the hills at the first sign of adversity.

Places like USC seem to recruit 5 deep at all skill positions and have less attrition.

To your other point-nobody wants Boyle to fail. And maybe our expectations were too high. But we are seeing terrible execution from him. And it isn't system. He is throwing to the other team. I have no idea what the problem is.

Reaction Score
Boyle's operating under his 3rd HC and 3rd OC since arriving 15 months ago. Before lableling a teenager a failure, which is what some here take great pride in, you might want to see if he can develop in ONE system.

And I never understood the fixation with the laundry list of QBs that quit. If they found a better place to play and go to school, good for them.

I am not sure he will fit in BD's system. Based on recruiting we appear to be going to top an option offense. We cannot ask the offense to learn 2 systems.

Reaction Score
More misses than hits at QB. Mike Box, Casey Turner, Billy Cundiff. We whiffed on too many QBs. Nebrich was a huge P blunder. He was clearly talented. He burns his redshirt, then proceeds to give him almost no playing time in favor of a less talented, upper classmen walk on. I thought it was part of the whole empty cupboard storyline. Should have developed him at all cost.
I remember all the locked threads, posters arguing with each other to no end about Nebrich sitting, P coached in the NFL "so you think you know more than he does" stuff. Who was the poster whose handle started with a "p"? He almost got banned as I recall for overly beating the Nebrich drum, not to mention myself as well.

Reaction Score
I am not sure he will fit in BD's system. Based on recruiting we appear to be going to top an option offense. We cannot ask the offense to learn 2 systems.

No idea where this comes from. I think the coach has been pretty clear on where he wants the O to go. I've never heard the word option uttered. If you are thinking he wants a mobile QB, that's different (and not option). We do not appear to be recruiting dual threat QBs.

Reaction Score
Of all the QB's that came through since DO, Nebrich was the one who best met my eye test. Moved well in the pocket & threw a decent ball. I do not recall overwhelming arm strenght/zip, but he threw a nice ball.

TB has the arm strength & tools to be a good D1 QB, from what I have seen. The decision making & accuracy have not been seen on game day consistently, but I hesitate to judge any QB too harshly based on the lack of protection. TB needs to get reps until it 'clicks'.

TB should be getting 50% of the reps in practice & 30% of the reps in the game - with opportunity to stay on the field if he & the team compete well. There will be no December practice.
PP was an , wanted Carson Palmer for UCONN's QB, which was never happening. Everyone else would sit if they didn't measure up in PP's eyes. Anyone who was short, mobile, and green had no shot under Paul Pissbologna. God help the Seahawks if PP was their coach when they got Russell Wilson. Even when he played at UCONN, and I went to a lot of the practices, Nebrich reminded me a lot of Matt Grothe.

Reaction Score
I remember all the locked threads, posters arguing with each other to no end about Nebrich sitting, P coached in the NFL "so you think you know more than he does" stuff. Who was the poster whose handle started with a "p"? He almost got banned as I recall for overly beating the Nebrich drum, not to mention myself as well.
Looking back on that, I think it was almost a stall tactic by P. Almost a "you see, the most talented QB left on the roster was an unathletic walk on" built in excuse. A coach P's age should have never arrived with a "program building" mentality, instead it should have been lets win ASAP, future be damned. He sucked on so many levels.

Reaction Score
If Mike Nebrich was playing QB, and Joe Moorhead was coaching the offense, UConn would be in a very different place right now.

Hell, if Joe Moorhead was handed the HC job when Edsall left, I think we'd be in a very different place right now.

This. But PGDL was Hathaway's idea of a splash hire.

Reaction Score
Boyle's operating under his 3rd HC and 3rd OC since arriving 15 months ago. Before lableling a teenager a failure, which is what some here take great pride in, you might want to see if he can develop in ONE system.

And I never understood the fixation with the laundry list of QBs that quit. If they found a better place to play and go to school, good for them.

Too early to label him anything other than young, inexperienced and probably bewildered.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be having this discussion if Casey Cochran hadn't gotten concussed...he was the answer to the QB question for the next three years and would've bridged the gap until new QB recruits came in. The thing is, next year the QB situation may not improve. In fact, there's a real good chance it may, unbelievably, get worse before it gets better.

And the O-line can be worse too next year with two senior starters graduating. It may be 2016 before the offense puts more than 20 points on the board against an FBS opponent.

Reaction Score
What list? A list that would matter would be of quarterbacks who were good against high level competition. That list does not exist.

Nebrich is the closest to that... and he rolls up numbers against Georgetown and Lehigh.

Tim Boyle has been abysmal in his time at UConn. If he transfers to the Patriot League who cares?

Whoa there. Last year, Nebrich put up 320 yards (23-36, 2 TD's) against Temple and 400 yards (37-50, 4 TD's) against Towson; our only common opponents. One win, one loss.

As an aside, the (long) article (link below) was in Sunday's Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...chael-nebrich-bronx-burning-article-1.1979123

But remember. According to GDL, all he could do was, "run around and make plays." When your staff thinks that's a bad thing, well, we all saw the result. Still seeing them, in fact.

Reaction Score
Whoa there. Last year, Nebrich put up 320 yards (23-36, 2 TD's) against Temple and 400 yards (37-50, 4 TD's) against Towson; our only common opponents. One win, one loss.

As an aside, the (long) article (link below) was in Sunday's Daily News.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...chael-nebrich-bronx-burning-article-1.1979123

But remember. According to GDL, all he could do was, "run around and make plays." When your staff thinks that's a bad thing, well, we all saw the result. Still seeing them, in fact.

Very happy for the kid and Coach Moorhead. Two people that really came out of the mess that Edsall left behind and have shined. We're 4 years later, still trying to clean up and climb out of the hole we fell into. I think it would do all UCONN football fans good, to read about the Fordham offense, and watch some other football besides UCONN for a while, just to get an idea of what good football actually looks like. Hell you can go to high school games and watch better offense. The numbers Nebrich is putting up in Moorhead's offense are impressive.

Reaction Score
Very happy for the kid and Coach Moorhead. Two people that really came out of the mess that Edsall left behind and have shined. We're 4 years later, still trying to clean up and climb out of the hole we fell into. I think it would do all UCONN football fans good, to read about the Fordham offense, and watch some other football besides UCONN for a while, just to get an idea of what good football actually looks like. Hell you can go to high school games and watch better offense. The numbers Nebrich is putting up in Moorhead's offense are impressive.

Your fixation with blaming Edsall for this mess is -- what is the legal term -- mindnumbingly idiotic. With all due respect.

Reaction Score
Your fixation with blaming Edsall for this mess is -- what is the legal term -- mindnumbingly idiotic. With all due respect.

Try some reading comprehension counselor.

"Very happy for the kid and Coach Moorhead. Two people that really came out of the mess that Edsall left behind and have shined. We're 4 years later, still trying to clean up and climb out of the hole we fell into."

Moorhead, and Nebrich were most definitely left in a "mess" caused by Edsall, and were left behind, displaced, not fitting - and came out of it well. We most definitely fell into a hole, that was caused by Hathaway hiring Pasqualoni, that we're still trying to climb out of 4 years later. Sorry I didn't make that clear enough for you.

Reaction Score
Try some reading comprehension counselor.

"Very happy for the kid and Coach Moorhead. Two people that really came out of the mess that Edsall left behind and have shined. We're 4 years later, still trying to clean up and climb out of the hole we fell into."

Moorhead, and Nebrich were most definitely left in a "mess" caused by Edsall, and were left behind, displaced, not fitting - and came out of it well. We most definitely fell into a hole, that was caused by Hathaway hiring Pasqualoni, that we're still trying to climb out of 4 years later. Sorry I didn't make that clear enough for you.

My reading comprehension is fine. Edsall did not leave behind a mess. Edsall left behind a roster of mentally tough kids coming off a conference championship. There was no mess until P was hired and, for three years, lost too many of Edsall's kids, didn't physically build up and teach up the ones who stayed and didn't keep the talent level up in his 2.5 recruiting seasons.

Reaction Score
My reading comprehension is fine. Edsall did not leave behind a mess. Edsall left behind a roster of mentally tough kids coming off a conference championship. There was no mess until P was hired and, for three years, lost too many of Edsall's kids, didn't physically build up and teach up the ones who stayed and didn't keep the talent level up in his 2.5 recruiting seasons.

You need to take your rose colored glasses off regarding Edsall once in a while. We were 3-4, had gotten smoked by Louisville 26-0 in 2010, before some players got up in the locker room, and essentially said: "Jazz wouldn't have this.", comining of the 2009 season, and the team went on that 5 game run to the Fiesta Bowl - which gave Edsall his out he'd been looking for since 2007. There is no doubt that Edsall would have found a way to squeak out the 6-6, 7-5 seasons with the roster moving forward in 2011, but the recruiting problems we have now, and have had for the past few years, that we are JUST now coming out of, started in 2008. The talent level that Pasqualoni's program recruited is on the field right now, so if you don't like insulting current players, I would keep your mouth shut about that. The strength and conditioning coach, that everyone loved and Pasqualoni kept along, was fighting cancer from up through Jan 2014, and was declining steadily in his energy and performing up to standards for a few years, except nobody knew about it, because he never told anyone what he was going through. Pasqualoni should never have been allowed to bring Deleone on board with the program, and had Hathaway had any idea about anything, he would have made the hiring conditional on not hiring Deleone. We've been over this before. The only unit, on the field, that has been a recruiting disaster, and continues to be, for what we have now - 6 years after Edsall started bailing on recruiting - is the OL - Deleone's group. Pasqualoni treated college players like professionals, and did it with an antiquated bully style of coaching that does not relate to 21st century college athletes. They fell apart, but if you think that is entirely the fault of the coaching staff, and the players had no responsibility themselves, you are sorely mistaken.

Edsall screwed this program, the way he left it in the dark, with a progressively declining recruiting since 2008, and a class as of December 2010, that had less then 10 players, when we needed the full 25, mostly on the offensive side of the ball, just to be up to adequate numbers. Diaco is recruiting like hell, as did Pasqualoni, simply in a numbers game to catch up where Edsall had let it fall off regarding the NLI yearly signing cycle. Nebrich, was one of those players that was left in that mess, as was his primary recruiter, and relatively new coach hired by Edsall - and left behind by Edsall - Moorhead.

Perhaps that's ok with you, the way that Edsall left, erased anything good I have to say about the guy, except that he knew how to build a team that could win games at Rentschler field.

Good lord, all I did was compliment a player and a coach, about finding a way out of the mess that Edsall left behind, and do well for themselves and you come out of the woodwork at me. Have a nice day counselor.

Reaction Score
Though UCONN's situation after he left was not all FHCRE's fault, in the sense that he rode his horse outa Dodge in the middle of the night, he certainly did leave a mess. No team meeting, no recommendations to Hathaway or Herbst about Morehead OR incoming recruits, nothing. If UCONN was his wife and his players were his kids, it's a clear case of abandonment.

Reaction Score
Though UCONN's situation after he left was not all FHCRE's fault, in the sense that he rode his horse outa Dodge in the middle of the night, he certainly did leave a mess. No team meeting, no recommendations to Hathaway or Herbst about Morehead OR incoming recruits, nothing. If UCONN was his wife and his players were his kids, it's a clear case of abandonment.

I understand the sentiment, but he left the way college coaches leave today. I don't like it and it has no place in what is supposed to be state run educational institutions, but it is what it is.

And Spackler wasn't talking about process -- Spackler was talking about what was left. Which was as good defensive talent as was in the conference, a solid OL and below average playmakers. Maybe we have a QB issue with Edsall, and maybe between Box and Nebrich moving to more of a spread we don't, We will never know. What we do know is that P utterly destroyed this program. And fixating on one single recruiting class that still had a month to go as more than a potentially down recruiting year is just disingenuous.

Reaction Score

At the end of the day, a man's gotta do what's best for him and his family.. Edsall did just that.... Can't blame him for that... he probably saw what everyone here seems to see when it comes to Hathaway, a guy that put himself in a situation that was clearly over his head...

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, a man's gotta do what's best for him and his family.. Edsall did just that.... Can't blame him for that... he probably saw what everyone here seems to see when it comes to Hathaway, a guy that put himself in a situation that was clearly over his head...
I thought UCONN was his family. He actually said that once!!!!

Reaction Score
I understand the sentiment, but he left the way college coaches leave today. I don't like it and it has no place in what is supposed to be state run educational institutions, but it is what it is.

And Spackler wasn't talking about process -- Spackler was talking about what was left. Which was as good defensive talent as was in the conference, a solid OL and below average playmakers. Maybe we have a QB issue with Edsall, and maybe between Box and Nebrich moving to more of a spread we don't, We will never know. What we do know is that P utterly destroyed this program. And fixating on one single recruiting class that still had a month to go as more than a potentially down recruiting year is just disingenuous.

Stop trying to tell me and others what I'm thinking. Go back and re-read the post I responded to Fairtides article. You are the one that responded with this crap. You didn't like the word "mess" and have attributed all this meaning to it, and accused me of a fixation - I haven't written about Edsall or Pasqualoni in months - don't care about either of them.

The program degenerated to a level that led to the longest winless streak in something like 50 years of UCONN football. You talk about players that were not developed and had no talent - well Diaco's staff has had 10 months of calendar time, which is a hell of a lot less actual player contact time with this roster, and our defense - with the players that were mostly recruited by Pasqualoni - is top 20. They will get tested tomorrow, as to whether or not that is an illusion. You';re going knock down Pasqualoni, you should give credit where it's due too. The condition of the practice facility was a disaster, but the walls were still standing. Destroyed is a strong word - for where we are at right now. A hell of a lot stronger than "mess". As for recruiting, I can't even begin to start an explanation if you think that what I wrote is focused only on one recruiting class. Fail to reading comprehend again.

Stick to the View - you're good at it - and people miss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom