Randy left and Susan came in | The Boneyard

Randy left and Susan came in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Susan H got the job right before the Fiesta Bowl . She looked to the guy who hired here , Larry McHugh, for approval on sports issues as she came in with no experience in those area, Since then McHugh has guided all of the major decisions on football. Think back to all of the decision , the fans , the big donors , etc... he has lost them all and Susan and the various AD's take the heat.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Susan H got the job right before the Fiesta Bowl . She looked to the guy who hired here , Larry McHugh, for approval on sports issues as she came in with no experience in those area, Since then McHugh has guided all of the major decisions on football. Think back to all of the decision , the fans , the big donors , etc... he has lost them all and Susan and the various AD's take the heat.

If this is true, then whose bright idea was it to hire her in the first place? The Board of Trustees, sure, and I assume the Governor has to sign off on that.

Since college presidents now run the NCAA and major CFB, you damn well better hire one that knows something about athletics and what it takes to run a successful program, including hiring the right people as ADs and coaches. She never should have been hired if she was completely clueless about athletics.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It really does appear that whoever has the President's ear regarding sports matters is dead weight. She could probably be better served reading Twitter or the Boneyard for better advice than some of the decisions that have been made in UConn athletics. Allowing the Paul Pasqualoni hire set off a spiral of self-destruction in our AD that will likely be too much to dig out of. Diaco's buyout clause is just the latest concrete shoe that is sinking us to the very bottom of the G5 river.

Reaction Score
It really does appear that whoever has the President's ear regarding sports matters is dead weight. She could probably be better served reading Twitter or the Boneyard for better advice than some of the decisions that have been made in UConn athletics. Allowing the Paul Pasqualoni hire set off a spiral of self-destruction in our AD that will likely be too much to dig out of. Diaco's buyout clause is just the latest concrete shoe that is sinking us to the very bottom of the G5 river.
You can't lay the Pasqualoni hire on her. Yes she had been "hired" by then BUT she didn't start in her title until June. At the end of the day there is 1 person who has signed off on these 2 hires, was involved in hiring her as president...and he ALSO had a hand in putting Phil Austin in the position as interim President when Hogan left for Illinois: Larry McHugh! Now it is well known that Hathaway was under SERIOUS heat from McHugh who wanted him fired...so to get himself in good graces he hired Pasqualoni and let him bring in DeLeone as OC..again to appease Larry. Let's all look back and ask this one simple question: What if Hathaway offered the job to Pasqualoni with the condition that he couldn't bring Deleone here as OC. What if he convinced him to keep Joe Moorehead as OC? We truly would have seen Joe's offense here because what he ran under Edsall wasn't even a shell of what he did at Akron or has done at Fordham and PSU. The search for Pasqualoni was a sham from the beginning. As soon as the CT HS Coaches wrote that letter, you know they also got in McHugh's ear. The minute that was done..it was P's job to turn down and everyone else's time to be wasted interviewing. I'd like to know this now...if Larry McHugh was so helpful passing info along from his old cronies why can't he set them straight on their failure?

Reaction Score
Cut the nonsense. Susan Herbst is the best "administrator" to ever set foot in Storrs. She's bringing this University to greater prominence than ever. And she'll turn the athletics around too. She's had some bad counsel from several self-interested folks. She'll fix it.
The size of the endowment, shape of the physical campus, number of federal research grants (see AAU) and leadership in important university positions (provost, AD etc) were abysmal when she showed up. Luckily she's a talented juggler.
She and Benedict will fix the athletic issues. The good news (really) is we've got some time before the next conference scramble. Put your money on SH.

Reaction Score
I agree with you 100 % .
Would give you a like but I do not like us sinking so low so I will just agree with you on this sinking vessel .. the whole situation sucks.

Dooley

Reaction Score
You can't lay the Pasqualoni hire on her. Yes she had been "hired" by then BUT she didn't start in her title until June. At the end of the day there is 1 person who has signed off on these 2 hires, was involved in hiring her as president...and he ALSO had a hand in putting Phil Austin in the position as interim President when Hogan left for Illinois: Larry McHugh! Now it is well known that Hathaway was under SERIOUS heat from McHugh who wanted him fired...so to get himself in good graces he hired Pasqualoni and let him bring in DeLeone as OC..again to appease Larry. Let's all look back and ask this one simple question: What if Hathaway offered the job to Pasqualoni with the condition that he couldn't bring Deleone here as OC. What if he convinced him to keep Joe Moorehead as OC? We truly would have seen Joe's offense here because what he ran under Edsall wasn't even a shell of what he did at Akron or has done at Fordham and PSU. The search for Pasqualoni was a sham from the beginning. As soon as the CT HS Coaches wrote that letter, you know they also got in McHugh's ear. The minute that was done..it was P's job to turn down and everyone else's time to be wasted interviewing. I'd like to know this now...if Larry McHugh was so helpful passing info along from his old cronies why can't he set them straight on their failure?

I'm not laying Pasqualoni or any of the bad decisions on her. I'm laying it on whoever is at UConn who has the President's ear over athletic decisions. The President's job is to raise money for the university, oversee operations and focus on academics. She's outstanding on the academic side. But whoever has her ear on the athletic side is pumping bad advice. If it's Larry McHugh, then Larry McHugh needs to be replaced.

Who knows - maybe having 3 ADs will be enough to push through McHugh and get to the forefront of Herbst's ear for sports related matters. Such as, we need to fire our dumpster fire of a head football coach and turn the page ASAP if we have any shot whatsoever of being P5 ready in 5 years.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Cut the nonsense. Susan Herbst is the best "administrator" to ever set foot in Storrs. She's bringing this University to greater prominence than ever. And she'll turn the athletics around too. She's had some bad counsel from several self-interested folks. She'll fix it.
The size of the endowment, shape of the physical campus, number of federal research grants (see AAU) and leadership in important university positions (provost, AD etc) were abysmal when she showed up. Luckily she's a talented juggler.
She and Benedict will fix the athletic issues. The good news (really) is we've got some time before the next conference scramble. Put your money on SH.

I love President Herbst. I don't love whoever has her ear on athletic matters. There seems to be a consistently poor advice pattern going on. If it's McHugh, then McHugh needs to be leapfrogged on the chain of command.

Reaction Score
I'm not laying Pasqualoni or any of the bad decisions on her. I'm laying it on whoever is at UConn who has the President's ear over athletic decisions. The President's job is to raise money for the university, oversee operations and focus on academics. She's outstanding on the academic side. But whoever has her ear on the athletic side is pumping bad advice. If it's Larry McHugh, then Larry McHugh needs to be replaced.

Who knows - maybe having 3 ADs will be enough to push through McHugh and get to the forefront of Herbst's ear for sports related matters. Such as, we need to fire our dumpster fire of a head football coach and turn the page ASAP if we have any shot whatsoever of being P5 ready in 5 years.
Larry McHugh is the one constant aside from Rachel Rubin that has been in her inner circle since she arrived on campus. He has also been the one who was directly involved in the hires of both AD's and both football coaches having been in on interviews with her when Manuel replaced Pasqualoni. To me he has over played his hand on the athletic side of things at UConn and instead of focusing on helping the school raise $$ for the endowment/athletics through his contacts has instead exerted his influence in athletic operations.

Reaction Score
I love President Herbst. I don't love whoever has her ear on athletic matters. There seems to be a consistently poor advice pattern going on. If it's McHugh, then McHugh needs to be leapfrogged on the chain of command.
His term is almost up...I was talking to @Jarhead_1775 about this the other day....IMHO it's time to start a grass roots campaign to replace him on the BOT.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
McHugh wanted Edsall to stay and thought he would have if Hathaway left earlier. He doesn't believe he would have left if that happened.

I put the blame on the lousy list of coaches were brought before by the firm UConn hired

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It's just sports that s&cks. LOL

C

Chief00

If this is true, then whose bright idea was it to hire her in the first place? The Board of Trustees, sure, and I assume the Governor has to sign off on that.

Since college presidents now run the NCAA and major CFB, you damn well better hire one that knows something about athletics and what it takes to run a successful program, including hiring the right people as ADs and coaches. She never should have been hired if she was completely clueless about athletics.

Agreed, she was clueless but with a huge ego.

Reaction Score
I'm not quite as confident as you are that she'll fix the athletics situation, actually nothing I've seen on that front so far brings confidence in that area.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

If you replaced the top 15 non-coaching positions in the AD with Boneyard posters you'd see massive improvement overnight.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Assuming you didn't lose all your money following your advice betting on Diaco....

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Benedict and his crew were brought in to fix the mess. No one expected Diaco to flame out in year 3, but as I have said in the past, it isn't the record which is disconcerting, it is the abandonement by UCONN nation of the football program which has the admin's attention. Diaco is taking attendance from 30k down to 10 k. That is too big a hit financially for the university and the fact that Diaco has lost credibility with every word that comes out of his mouth, will expedite action from Susan et al.

C

Chief00

Larry McHugh is the one constant aside from Rachel Rubin that has been in her inner circle since she arrived on campus. He has also been the one who was directly involved in the hires of both AD's and both football coaches having been in on interviews with her when Manuel replaced Pasqualoni. To me he has over played his hand on the athletic side of things at UConn and instead of focusing on helping the school raise $$ for the endowment/athletics through his contacts has instead exerted his influence in athletic operations.

I personally like McHugh and think he is a good guy. Maybe he was a little too close to Coach P - but if loyalty is your biggest fault - it is what it is. I don't blame him for Diaco - that was on Warde, the CYA firm Warde hired and Susan.
I do however think overall we have a weak BOT - we need less ex UConn players and political types and more top notch professionals.

Reaction Score
I personally like McHugh and think he is a good guy. Maybe he was a little too close to Coach P - but if loyalty is your biggest fault - it is what it is. I don't blame him for Diaco - that was on Warde, the CYA firm Warde hired and Susan.
I do however think overall we have a weak BOT - we need less ex UConn players and political types and more top notch professionals.
Oh then maybe you should clue him in to let all his cronies in the CT HS coaches Assoc know that their boy P and GDL got fired because they SUCKED! The fact that you like McHugh tells us all that we need to know about you. Thanks for playing now go back to the hoops board and spew your bulls**t.

Reaction Score
Susan should call the state prison, they have a guy in their system that did more for UCONN than anyone, it's unfortunate that he got himself in so much trouble in other endeavors. His name is John Rowland.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Considering how you rate performances of UConn's upper echelon administrators this is no surprise.

Yet top notch professionals are what you complain about within our administration.

Reaction Score
Considering how you rate performances of UConn's upper echelon administrators this is no surprise.

Yet top notch professionals are what you complain about within our administration.
He's a moron who suddenly has insider info on the football program after his Boys Calhoun and Drummond left. He likes Larry McHugh..says it all right there!

Reaction Score
Agree. Cronyism is not a good recipe for bold effective change in the thinking of an organization. Bringing outside directors onto a board can result in fresher, more innovative perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom