Randy Edsall’s first season fractured Maryland football; can he repair it? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Randy Edsall’s first season fractured Maryland football; can he repair it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i think this team showed a lot of heart in sticking with the season this season and last. if you remember at one point one of the louder posters here predicted a 2 win season for us last year. i think we also showed a lot of heart in the Cinci game. we dug a big hole, and with it being the last game of the season, on the road, with no bowl eligibility, it would have been very easy to pack it in, but we actually made a game of it and i think the players deserve a lot of credit for that.

Everybody deserves a lot of credit for that, players and coaches.

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that the uconn roster is filled with high character guys that work their tails off to be successful. They definitely have that "never say die" attitude. Other programs, and Maryland is one of them, have more talent but not nearly the character that we do. Look at the bowl game against South Carolina a few years ago. They were much more talented but didn't have the will to win at that point in the season. As much as everyone wants to bash Edsalls recruiting classes, they are filled with guys who want to work hard and be the best they can be.

You can do both things at the same time you know, build up rosters with players of both qualities all wrapped up in a nice package - highly talented, and highly motivated players of good character.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wow, read the comment section. And you think the Boneyard was hard on Edsall.

Yeah, wow. One guy is taking MD football out of his will. Hey sportsart, why don't you go over there and shoot your boy some love?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, wow. One guy is taking MD football out of his will. Hey sportsart, why don't you go over there and shoot your boy some love?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the type of people that have real money to leave when they make a decision like that post it on a newspaper website :).

Reaction Score
ERIC PRISBELL
Do you need an image makeover?

RANDY EDSALL
No, I don't need an image makeover.

Randy doesn't realize that everyone in Maryland hates him.

Randy's responsibility is to win football games (which he didn't do well this year), its not whether fans and media like him. If he went 10-2 and was the same old Edsall, do you think we would see this much hatred? Bill Belichek is a miserable coach, but I would guess Patriot fans are very happy with him, whereas Cleveland fans probably do not have great memories.

I do find it hard to have sympathy for Edsall, though. This is the risk you run when jumping ship. Sounds like the players were used to a drastically different culture under Friedgen, and when someone came in with strict rules, it didn't go over well.

Reaction Score
anybody else think it's time to start an Edsall only forum? Seems to work for the realignment talk. Rehashing the past, debating RE's strong and weak points and reveling in his misery takes a lot of the oxygen out of this room.

Sept. 15 at College Park is not going to be a layup. Far from it.

Reaction Score
Row row row your boat right on up the stream merrily,merrily,merrily until the fans they don't scream! For your !kin job! I give him til mid season next yr. Buh bye!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
“The perception of who Randy Edsall is is not who I am,” Edsall said. “It is not who I am.”

Mr Third Person, at it again. "It wasn't me enacting all those rules, it was that Randy Edsall guy. That's not who I am."

Reaction Score
Edsall on Edsall: "Randy Edsall is a pure football genius, that's who Randy Edsall is!"

Reaction Score
There is no doubt that the uconn roster is filled with high character guys that work their tails off to be successful. They definitely have that "never say die" attitude. Other programs, and Maryland is one of them, have more talent but not nearly the character that we do. Look at the bowl game against South Carolina a few years ago. They were much more talented but didn't have the will to win at that point in the season. As much as everyone wants to bash Edsalls recruiting classes, they are filled with guys who want to work hard and be the best they can be.

Yeah but . . . I'd rather have more talent. South Carolina has gotten better since the Papa Pizza Bowl . . . UConn?? Talent vs character? If you are gonna give the edge to one or the other . . . go with talent. Character can be worked on once they are on campus.

Reaction Score
anybody else think it's time to start an Edsall only forum? Seems to work for the realignment talk. Rehashing the past, debating RE's strong and weak points and reveling in his misery takes a lot of the oxygen out of this room.

i'm hoping that we kill them in that game and hopefully that will bring some kind of closure to this. at this point everybody pretty much knows what everybody else's thoughts are on Edsall so we really don't need to rehash them, but it is the offseason so there's not much else to discuss. i'm looking forward to the look a like thread leading up to the game

Reaction Score
The Edsall love on this board was out of the park. I recall one poster saying he couldn't imagine or want anyone except Edsall as the UConn coach.

Edsall was considered "great" here because of the low expectations. He did a good job. But anyone who looked saw the flaws, vanilla offense, blaming players, playing not to lose, inability to close on recruits, paranoid rules, PR disaster. What we're seeing now is Randy Edsall unplugged. He can't point to trailers and say this is where we were. He has to point to the future and say this is where where we're going.

I believe Edsall never talked about UConn's bright future because he didn't believe in UConn. He thought he took the program as far as it could go. For years, Randy had been looking for the first job away from Storrs that would have him. Maryland took him. Good for them.

Reaction Score
The Edsall love on this board was out of the park. I recall one poster saying he couldn't imagine or want anyone except Edsall as the UConn coach.

Edsall was considered "great" here because of the low expectations. He did a good job. But anyone who looked saw the flaws, vanilla offense, blaming players, playing not to lose, inability to close on recruits, paranoid rules, PR disaster. What we're seeing now is Randy Edsall unplugged. He can't point to trailers and say this is where we were. He has to point to the future and say this is where where we're going.

I believe Edsall never talked about UConn's bright future because he didn't believe in UConn. He thought he took the program as far as it could go. For years, Randy had been looking for the first job away from Storrs that would have him. Maryland took him. Good for them.

Not much to disagree with here. Your post is on target. Bottom line is Randy took the program as far as he could. Taking it to the next level - outright BE championships, winning records against most or all BE opponents, noteworthy OOC wins, better bowls on a regular basis, frequent Top 25 appearances, etc. - was going to require a different coach. Is PP that guy? Time will tell.

Reaction Score

Wow, one poster thought he was great. Big sample size. No one thought UConn
built the Rent, Shenkman, Burton because of Randy Edsall. He was charged with making the program competative within the conference, that is not having low expectations or believing in Uconn. You didn't like his style, too bad. You said it "He did a good job" Lets move on.

Reaction Score

As I said at the beginning of the post, "Interesting end of season article on the woes of FUCRE. I know some are tired of reading about him...so don't." Maybe I should have added the warning "...unless you fear all the oxygen in this room will be consumed." :)
I usually only post articles or ask questions that I think will generate some discussion. Interestingly enough, this one has. But if they don't, I don't consider it a waste of oxygen nor am I offended. However, when they do, I usually get some truly interesting insights, and hopefully others do too.
ruskin - Thanks for contributing. :D

Reaction Score
Wow, one poster thought he was great. Big sample size. No one thought UConn
built the Rent, Shenkman, Burton because of Randy Edsall. He was charged with making the program competative within the conference, that is not having low expectations or believing in Uconn. You didn't like his style, too bad. You said it "He did a good job" Lets move on.

No he was not charged with that. Lew Perkins hired him and said exactly..."Here's the keys to the car, there's no owner's manual." UConn was not going to join the big east until the 2005 season, and when he was hired, if I recall correctly, the plans to joing the big east were not even agreed upon yet. 7 years after he was hired we joined. We actually joined a year early b/c of the Miami mess.

There were zero expectations for Randy Edsall to be successful when he was hired. Zero. He was charged with running a football program with outdated and inadequate facilities, having just come out of the folding of the Yankee Conference after some 50+ years of existence or whatever. While the rest of the athletic department was working on building the infrastructure for upgrading to division 1-A football and figuring out what conference we would play in (we were A-10 for a while) and eventually joining the big east conference. He was given integral say in the development of that infrastructure, the buildings, the facilities, the stadium grounds. He had absolutely no experience recruiting for a football program at the d-1A level regularly, aside from selling himself and the concept of building a program from scratch, which is how he landed Dan Orlovsky. Without Orlovsky, this program is not anywhere close to where it's at today. Players build programs, not coaches. THat is all fact. The fact that he was so closely involved in building those fantastic facilities, is what made it so maddening, at least for me, to see him fail to go out and really recruit hard once they were built.

When it came time to continue the success in recruiting, after 2007 or so, as we began to win games regularly as a member of the big east, his recruiting fell off dramatically, and he also began regularly, and actively looking for jobs elsewhere. Fact.

My opinion is that either he felt like he finished the job he was hired for in the mid 2000s, and wanted out at that time, or that as stated elsewhere, he simply didin't believe UConn could achieve anything more than he already managed, or he simply was unable to adapt and modify his basic recruiting pitch, in that the program was already built, there was nothing left to sell, except himself, and that's what he did sell when recruiting - not UConn, but himself.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
there was nothing left to sell, except himself, and that's what he did sell when recruiting - not UConn, but himself.

I agree, his ego wouldn't allow him to sell the school or the facilities. Randy was all about Randy. Why are our football facilities still such a secret?

Reaction Score

THe proverbial throw up in the mouth, but I agree. I'll just add, and i've written this many times, I would have liked to see Edsall stay, and actually change and get out there on the recruiting trail and take the program up another notch from where he brought it. Wasn't to be, and to my knowledge, even though eh was actively purusing other coaching jobs for a few years, Maryland was the first real job offer he got beyond the interview stage.

Reaction Score
No he was not charged with that. Lew Perkins hired him and said exactly..."Here's the keys to the car, there's no owner's manual." UConn was not going to join the big east until the 2005 season, and when he was hired, if I recall correctly, the plans to joing the big east were not even agreed upon yet. 7 years after he was hired we joined. We actually joined a year early b/c of the Miami mess.

There were zero expectations for Randy Edsall to be successful when he was hired. Zero. He was charged with running a football program with outdated and inadequate facilities, having just come out of the folding of the Yankee Conference after some 50+ years of existence or whatever. While the rest of the athletic department was working on building the infrastructure for upgrading to division 1-A football and figuring out what conference we would play in (we were A-10 for a while) and eventually joining the big east conference. He was given integral say in the development of that infrastructure, the buildings, the facilities, the stadium grounds. He had absolutely no experience recruiting for a football program at the d-1A level regularly, aside from selling himself and the concept of building a program from scratch, which is how he landed Dan Orlovsky. Without Orlovsky, this program is not anywhere close to where it's at today. Players build programs, not coaches. THat is all fact. The fact that he was so closely involved in building those fantastic facilities, is what made it so maddening, at least for me, to see him fail to go out and really recruit hard once they were built.

When it came time to continue the success in recruiting, after 2007 or so, as we began to win games regularly as a member of the big east, his recruiting fell off dramatically, and he also began regularly, and actively looking for jobs elsewhere. Fact.

My opinion is that either he felt like he finished the job he was hired for in the mid 2000s, and wanted out at that time, or that as stated elsewhere, he simply didin't believe UConn could achieve anything more than he already managed, or he simply was unable to adapt and modify his basic recruiting pitch, in that the program was already built, there was nothing left to sell, except himself, and that's what he did sell when recruiting - not UConn, but himself.

Carl,
UConn board of trustees approved of an upgrade in '94, Mansfield voted down the stadium in '97. Kraft left Roland holding the bag in 4/99, the Rent was approoved later that year.. Perkins wanted us in the Big East in the early 2000's I believe it was by 2002. He was hired to transition us into the BE. Of course there were expectations. His recruiting classes did not get worse. Your sense of history is almost always suspect.

Reaction Score
As I said at the beginning of the post, "Interesting end of season article on the woes of FUCRE. I know some are tired of reading about him...so don't." Maybe I should have added the warning "...unless you fear all the oxygen in this room will be consumed." :)
I usually only post articles or ask questions that I think will generate some discussion. Interestingly enough, this one has. But if they don't, I don't consider it a waste of oxygen nor am I offended. However, when they do, I usually get some truly interesting insights, and hopefully others do too.
ruskin - Thanks for contributing. :D
Didn't mean my post to be a personal shot at KP, and my apologies if it read like one. Obviously Edsall continues to be a big topic on this board (people like to slow down to look at car wrecks) and the intent isn't to censor that talk, although I don't see anyone making a new point that will change anyone's mind on RE. Just thinking a sub-board for all things Edsall might work as well as the realignment one seems to be if you want to come here for UConn news and talk. For example, the FUCRE board could take all the latest Maryland transfer news, how Fridge was a better recruiter than Edsall, etc. etc. The Baltimore-Washington press is very aggressive and I suspect there's a lot more RE articles on the way.

Reaction Score
History books are always suspect. Depends who's writing them and why. Nothing you wrote changes anything I wrote. The initial talks of upgrading really started in 1990-1991 and then got shelved for a while. So what that the board approved the upgrade? He was hired with the knowledge that we were transititioning from 1-AA to 1-A and that the big east conference was the desired destination. Because Perkins wanted us in teh big east in the early 2000s doesn't mean much. Somebody up there in storrs very recently wanted us in the ACC too. As for recruiting classes post 2007, they weren't getting stronger. I do not agree that the charge that Edsall was hired with was to make us competitive within the conference, which is what you initially said, and that's what I was responding too. Are you really saying the Perkins hired him in 1998 exactly 13 years ago today I believe, to make us competitive in teh big east conference?

Reaction Score
Duncan, for the record, since you questioned it, I've looked to verify, and the board of trustees vote to upgrade to 1-A, came by a 16-1 majority at a session in mid october 1997. Not 1994. Mansfield didn't vote the on campus facility down until 1998. I wrote in my original response that I wasn't sure if the plans to join the big east were in place at the time Edsall was hired in December 1998, but indeed they were. The big east extended invites to Villanova and UConn to upgrade football and join the conference in 1997, with a december 31 decision deadline, which was why the vote was approved in october that year. Skip Holtz was originally charged with the transition job.

So, I'm wrong, it's very much possible that Edsall was charged with building a team that would be competitive in the big east conference.

Reaction Score
History books are always suspect. Depends who's writing them and why. Nothing you wrote changes anything I wrote. The initial talks of upgrading really started in 1990-1991 and then got shelved for a while. So what that the board approved the upgrade? He was hired with the knowledge that we were transititioning from 1-AA to 1-A and that the big east conference was the desired destination. Because Perkins wanted us in teh big east in the early 2000s doesn't mean much. Somebody up there in storrs very recently wanted us in the ACC too. As for recruiting classes post 2007, they weren't getting stronger. I do not agree that the charge that Edsall was hired with was to make us competitive within the conference, which is what you initially said, and that's what I was responding too. Are you really saying the Perkins hired him in 1998 exactly 13 years ago today I believe, to make us competitive in teh big east conference?

Any coach we were to hire/retain at that time was going to be their goal.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8313847.html

That what was stated from the consultant from the SEC during and as an argument for the upgrade it. I believe it recides in the same article from which you quoted.

Reaction Score
This post needs more likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom