Random thoughts after the Duke game | The Boneyard

Random thoughts after the Duke game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For whatever they are worth, if anything, just a few things that occurred to me after I turned the TV off.

-- One of the most entertaining games in a long time. Duke stayed in it for a while, which made it all the more interesting. Those UConn runs, though...weren't they something?

-- Ever notice how it takes Tuck a while to get into the game? The first couple of plays where she is around the ball she tends to do things like lose passes or miss chippies. This changes dramatically as the game progresses, and she is a very valuable player, but I believe in every game I've seen this year, she has had early trouble.

-- Jefferson is like a different person now. Maybe it's the ponytail, as suggested in another post, but she was just wonderful in this game. Those 3s nailed the coffin shut.

-- Not playing Gabby until late in the game probably was a v wise thing, given the configuration of Duke's tall trees.

-- Maybe some day Kaleena and Breanna will have first halves in which the shoot well. Let;'s all hope that happens soon.

-- Speaking of things that should happen soon, as the team grows into itself, let's hope we continue to see more of those extra passes that make the baskets look so easy and make the opponents hang their heads.

-- Did you see how big Chong's eyes got as she spied the ball in Williams's hands? She recognized easy pickins, grabbed it, went down the court and scored. A thing of beauty.

-- Cannot wait for the SC game.

-- Sometimes it looks like the others deliberately avoid passing inside to Kiah. There was one point where Kaleena had the ball and Kiah was wide open -- no one within miles -- and calling for the ball. Kaleena seemed to look that way and then passed it outside. Sigh. They absolutely have to figure that one out.

-- Elizabeth Williams may never reach her potential, whatever that is, but she seems a truly classy player. She could play for my team any time.

-- Duke's Stevens looks like the real deal to me. Could be the centerpiece of some fine teams in the future.

-- If there ever were a player that UConn confused and frustrated more than Duke's Greenwell, I don't know who she might be. The kid looked lost, lost, lost all night, playing against people who play the game 10 miles an hour faster than her top speed.

Reaction Score
By the time Williams realized what happened, Chong practically had the ball in the hoop on the other end. Everyone looked as stunned as if a first baseman had just pulled off the hidden ball trick.

Reaction Score
I think it was Morgan Tuck who had the ball when Kiah was wide open under the basket. I'm not going to swear to it, though.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think it was Morgan Tuck who had the ball when Kiah was wide open under the basket. I'm not going to swear to it, though.

I was sitting on that end of the court and it was Morgan who didn't pass into Kiah. The crowd was very vocal on that one!

Reaction Score
Good observations, tc...not sure what Morgan was thinking on the no pass to Kiah...I love Moriahs take charge attitude...I know that's what the team needs from her, and she can deliver like no one else...I'm starting to think that Breanna and K just eventually wear the frenetic defenses thrown at them down...which is kind of amazing...I see no conditioning limitations for K, she wears out 2 opposing players by the end of each game..Kia and Morgan are just superb...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It was Morgan that didn't pass to a wide open Kiah. The ball was passed around a couple of more times and it got to Kiah and she fumbled it for a Turnover. Morgan should have passed the ball and it would have been an easy layup for Kiah.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought Kiah was going to get a three second call on that - she was the ONLY player in the paint for an eon and no one passed her the ball (Tuck.)

And I love when Geno puts Moriah on a tall guard! Happened last year against ND with McBride and tonight with Greenwell - she just totally frustrates them with speed, quickness, and denial.

Agree about Williams - she has not had any success against Uconn but she strikes me as just a upright citizen.

It should be very interesting to see Duke next year with some guards - they are going to struggle against strong defensive teams this year - interesting that they blew out KY and the 40 minutes of dread, but then I don't actually think they are that good defensively - they can create havoc but a team that doesn't get flustered can pick them apart.

Reaction Score
Morgan and Stewie - their whole lives they have been scorers and when they needed baskets they could go inside. Now they've come to UCONN hey are being challenged to become passers at times from the perimeter and not just at the high post. We see when Stokes gets the ball outside - it is a hot potato and her instinct is not to look inside and Tuck an Stewie are much more offensively gifted but it's not their comfort zone to consistently look inside to make a "quality-decision" pass.

It will take time- can't wait to continue to see the progression.

Reaction Score
For whatever they are worth, if anything, just a few things that occurred to me after I turned the TV off.

-- If there ever were a player that UConn confused and frustrated more than Duke's Greenwell, I don't know who she might be. The kid looked lost, lost, lost all night, playing against people who play the game 10 miles an hour faster than her top speed.

I can think of maybe one, Sierra Calhoun.
In 30 Mins: 0-8 in fg's, 2 assists, 2 rebounds, 3 turnovers and a total of ZERO points.

Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread but it applies here also!

The fact that UCONN has beaten ACC foes 27 straight times and Duke 9 straight shows their dominance over what's reported to be one of the top conferences in the nation!
The game went as predicted, what ended as a 31 point win should have been 40+! UCONN had 16 turnovers, 12 at least was unforced errors where UCONN threw the ball away or to Duke! That's why the 1/2 score was only UCONN 33/DUKE26! UCONN's defense smothered Duke and took the ball away at ease! It seemed that UCONN missed more than 7 freethrows, they've shot 64% and 66% from the FT line the last 2 games! Which could be a problem down the road!
Rebecca Greenwell 6'1" had 4 points all on 4-4 from the FT line hounded mostly by MoJeff all 5'6" of her making RG a no factor!
The Duke player that opened my eyes was Azura Stevens that young lady is going to be quite a handful by the time she graduates!
Now to our favorite topic, Elizabeth Williams, congrats on her best game of the 4 vs UCONN with 15 points and 8 RB's! But again she did nothing to give Duke a chance to win the game! 15 meaningless points that ended in a 31 point defeat for the Blue Devils, but she had help! The saving grace for EW was except for the inspirational Miss Stevens no other Dukie stepped up to give the Blue Devils a chance to win the game! As in the SoCar game Duke finds a way to throw the game away! Taking a 7 point 1/2 deficit and giving up 50 points in the 2nd 1/2! Coach P coaches well enough to be just a little above average! I think she is wearing out her welcome in Duke country!
A truly great player takes her team on her shoulders and makes a difference, MoJeff was such a player tonight! 18 points (mostly in the 2nd 1/2/5 steals/4 assists/2 turnovers/2 RB's ! MoJeff has 42 points in the last 2 games! Another player that led her team was M. Tuck with 13 points and 7 RB's/3 assists! Kiah Stokes didn't go crazy but still changed the tempo/outlook of the game when she came in! 4 points/6 RB's/ 4 BLK's! Giving a powerful presence in the middle that changed Duke's inside game!
They are 2 teams going in different directions. Duke is rapidly becoming Stanford East!
I called for 84-48 and it finished 83-52! I was compared to Mr. Positive, our own TonyC because of the prediction, I am truly humbled to be mentioned in the same sentence as TonyC! Go Huskies, keep kicking butts and taking names!

Reaction Score
I do not know why anyone would want to play for JPM. She is an underachiever, and throws her team under the bus all the time - plus makes stupid comments all the time.

Next year they will have more talent, however I doubt they will be much better - team chemistry, and playtime will be problematic

Reaction Score
Bria's a beautiful young woman! She could be in the Cover Girl commercial's or something like that ( You listening advertising industry?).

Stef looks great...just in a different way.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I posted this on another thread but it applies here also!

Now to our favorite topic, Elizabeth Williams, congrats on her best game of the 4 vs UCONN with 15 points and 8 RB's! But again she did nothing to give Duke a chance to win the game! 15 meaningless points that ended in a 31 point defeat for the Blue Devils, but she had help! The saving grace for EW was except for the inspirational Miss Stevens no other Dukie stepped up to give the Blue Devils a chance to win the game! As in the SoCar game Duke finds a way to throw the game away! Taking a 7 point 1/2 deficit and giving up 50 points in the 2nd 1/2! Coach P coaches well enough to be just a little above average! I think she is wearing out her welcome in Duke country!
A truly great player takes her team on her shoulders and makes a difference,
They are 2 teams going in different directions. Duke is rapidly becoming Stanford East!!

Williams scored 10 of her points in the first half, which kept Duke within striking distance. That point seems to get lost in your post, which has an agenda about Williams. She kept Duke in the game in the first half.

As for the Stanford comment, I do not get it. Stanford just beat UConn and has made five recent Final Four appearances (going off memory here). Duke has not made the Final Four since Goestenkors was the coach. Duke would be lucky to be "Stanford East" at this point.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn playing Duke is the same as Charlie Brown trying to kick the football that Lucy is holding.
You know the result will be the same, a UConn rout and Lucy moving the ball away at the last second. Might as well add in JPM blaming the players to the same category.

Reaction Score
Williams scored 10 of her points in the first half, which kept Duke within striking distance. That point seems to get lost in your post, which has an agenda about Williams. She kept Duke in the game in the first half.

As for the Stanford comment, I do not get it. Stanford just beat UConn and has made five recent Final Four appearances (going off memory here). Duke has not made the Final Four since Goestenkors was the coach. Duke would be lucky to be "Stanford East" at this point.

CanrnCrz1974- - - I was saying that the UCONN loss has proven over time to be UCONN lost that game, Stanford didn't win it! If UCONN played as it has recently they would beat the TREES by 30+ points! Duke has been exposed as maybe not as good as first glance just as Stanford has from preseason to date! I was NOT talking about Stanford before this year! When they won vs UCONN on Dec. 17th the "talking suits" were singing their praises as a powerhouse and now has been exposed as a not top 25 team!

Reaction Score
I thought Kiah was going to get a three second call on that - she was the ONLY player in the paint for an eon and no one passed her the ball (Tuck.)

And I love when Geno puts Moriah on a tall guard! Happened last year against ND with McBride and tonight with Greenwell - she just totally frustrates them with speed, quickness, and denial.

Agree about Williams - she has not had any success against Uconn but she strikes me as just a upright citizen.

It should be very interesting to see Duke next year with some guards - they are going to struggle against strong defensive teams this year - interesting that they blew out KY and the 40 minutes of dread, but then I don't actually think they are that good defensively - they can create havoc but a team that doesn't get flustered can pick them apart.

Williams had 15 points and 8 rebounds against a Uconn team with some pretty good down low defenders and rebounders. Some would consider that a successful night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom