R.I.P Calvin Peete | The Boneyard

R.I.P Calvin Peete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calvin Peete was the most successful African-American golfer on the PGA Tour before Tiger Woods. The winner of 12 tournaments died earlier this week at the age of 71, WSB-TV in Atlanta reported.

Peete's death was confirmed by the PGA Tour.

Peete finished fourth on the PGA Tour money list after winning four tournaments in 1982. He had multiple-win seasons in 1983, '85 and '86.

Peete overcame a broken arm as a child -- it was never set correctly -- to become one of the most accurate drivers on the PGA Tour. He won the Vardon Trophy in 1984 with the lowest scoring average on the tour.

BY_Calvin_Peete.jpg

[LINK]

Last edited:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Always enjoyed watching him play - as you say, incredibly accurate driver of the golf ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cal followed Charlie Sifford and raised the bar.

Talk about making lemonade out of lemons--he used that slightly misshapen arm to his advantage to drive the ball straighter than all of his contemporaries.

RIP, Cal!

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Wonderfully accomplished player...learned golf at 24...yikes! Along with Charlie Sifford and Lee Elder, Calvin was an historically important
African American player...they had direct links to Tiger.

BTW: I see in the Boston Globe today that the U.S. Open will probably come to The Country Club in Brookline, Ma.
Not a done deal yet but it sounds close. The course hosted the Open in 1963...1988...the Ryder Cup in 1999 [with the brouhaha on the 17th green] and many top amateur tournaments. I have had the pleasure of being in galleries there...it is a beautiful piece of property...very New-England-y. It is not real long by today's standards
but the head of the USGA is positive that it would be a great test for the Open...bombers off the tee included. Hope it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom