Questions on Verbal Commitments | The Boneyard

Questions on Verbal Commitments

Status
Not open for further replies.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I may be one of the few here that doesn't quite understand how verbal commitments work, so I'm hoping someone (looking at you Medic or Dynasty) can answer a few questions for me.

1. Is there a specific verbal commitment period or date by which all verbal commitments have to made by the prospective recruits and received by the school?
2. Can a school accept more verbal commitments than the number of scholarships it has/plans to offer in a given year?
3. What happens to scholarship offers made to prospective recruits when the school decides it has enough verbal commitments for a particular position/type of athlete?
4. Along those lines, are scholarship offers made to prospective athletes with the caveat that when the school receives the maximum number they plan to offer for a position/type of athlete?
5. Are athletes kept apprised of their scholarship status (i.e. are they informed when the number of verbal commits received by the school for their position is reaching the planned maximum)?

Thanks!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I may be one of the few here that doesn't quite understand how verbal commitments work, so I'm hoping someone (looking at you Medic or Dynasty) can answer a few questions for me.

1. Is there a specific verbal commitment period or date by which all verbal commitments have to made by the prospective recruits and received by the school?
No period or time for verbal commitments unlike signing day. Now there are quite periods, but players can still commit during those times.
2. Can a school accept more verbal commitments than the number of scholarships it has/plans to offer in a given year?
Yes they can and it happens more often with SEC schools and some other larger schools. UConn doesn't do that or at least hasn't in the past.
3. What happens to scholarship offers made to prospective recruits when the school decides it has enough verbal commitments for a particular position/type of athlete? They usual pull the offer from the player. The problem can be de-commitments and losing out on your next choice.
4. Along those lines, are scholarship offers made to prospective athletes with the caveat that when the school receives the maximum number they plan to offer for a position/type of athlete? My guess is yes but if someone comes along that is a must have then they are the exemption to the rules.
5. Are athletes kept apprised of their scholarship status (i.e. are they informed when the number of verbal commits received by the school for their position is reaching the planned maximum)? Yes they are but sometimes they are pulled without them knowing it. I know it happened a couple of times last year in the ACC and SEC. It is a lousy thing to do, but it does happen at times.

Hope that helps and if anyone has anything else, please add it.

Thanks!

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I was writing a response, but Bill beat me to the punch and covered everything spot on. Hope that answered your questions.

cttxus

Reaction Score
I was writing a response, but Bill beat me to the punch and covered everything spot on. Hope that answered your questions.
Thank you Dynasty!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Have we entered into the quiet period yet? When exactly does that begin?

Reaction Score
Have we entered into the quiet period yet? When exactly does that begin?

Yes - Dead Period

June 29, 2015 through July 12, 2015

Dead Period — Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits. But recruits can call coaches if initiated by recruit.

cttxus

Reaction Score
Yes - Dead Period

June 29, 2015 through July 12, 2015

Dead Period — Coaches are not permitted to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off-campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by recruits or to make phone calls to recruits. But recruits can call coaches if initiated by recruit.
Thanks Medic. And this link seems to have the 2014-2015 calendar of quiet and dead periods outlined pretty clearly.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ball-recruiting-periods-dead-quiet-evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom