Questions For The BY's "Old Guard" | The Boneyard

Questions For The BY's "Old Guard"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
For those who possess long term memories of UConn WCBB, I have a few questions.

1) When was the last time that a game that was not for the NC trophy generated so many posts and threads on the BY as did this week's Huskies v. Turtles?

2) When was the last time UConn was ranked number one at this point or later with a team that was as underestimated (for a while) as the current team?

3) When, if ever, was there such a large infusion of talent waiting in the wings comparable to the fall 2017 arrivals?

4) Does Gabby's game resemble any Husky from the past? To my eye, she is a unique talent.

I await my schooling.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
2) 1995? :) Maybe '02-'03 or '03-'04.

3) the '97-'98 season with Sue, Tamika, Ashja, Swin, and Kiersten waiting? The '98-'99 season turned out to be disappointing and problematic after Sue's injury but the '99-'00 season was, obviously, amazing. UConn was the top-ranked AP team start to finish -- even after losing a game. That's my best comparison in terms of both quality AND size.

4) I agree that Gabby is a unique talent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

1) When was the last time that a game that was not for the NC trophy generated so many posts and threads on the BY as did this week's Huskies v. Turtles?

2) When was the last time UConn was ranked number one at this point or later with a team that was as underestimated (for a while) as the current team?

3) When, if ever, was there such a large infusion of talent waiting in the wings comparable to the fall 2017 arrivals?

4) Does Gabby's game resemble any Husky from the past? To my eye, she is a unique talent.

I await my schooling.

Most regular season TN games were as big as any national championship game back in the day (in the height of the rivalry). Never been the same since.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I can only answer one of BigBird's questions:

The 1998 TASSK Force (which became TASS as Kirsten Walters's body betrayed her, IIRC) was long considered the greatest recruiting class ever and was certainly widely anticipated. Meanwhile, everyone expected the moon of the 2012 trio, who delivered that celestial body comprehensively. Four NCs, two undefeated seasons, and the top three picks of the WNBA draft? Ridiculous.

I do think 2017 is a tremendous onfusion of talent that will complement beautifully the three classes preceding it. Good times ahead will only add to great times happening now.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Oh, Gabby? With her build and basketball savant characteristics, she doesn't remind me of anyone I've ever witnessed. That's a compliment, not a criticism...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fun set of questions:

1. Definitely the Tennessee games were much bigger that this. And I would say that a couple of the Baylor games during Griner's time and definitely the ND games during the last 6 years. And probably Duke in the years when they flirted with the #1 ranking with Beard. The famous game in Cameron. And I guess South Carolina as the #1 seed in our first meeting. And Rutgers in the Cappie days. (And of course the game that never happened is probably the biggest of all - the Uconn/TN game that didn't happen because Pat cancelled the series.)

2. The obvious correlation is to the 2002-03 team which no one believed could continue winning and yet went undefeated in the regular season, lost in the BE tournament to Villanova and then went on to win the middle of the threepete. But you could also say the 2012-13 year when the big three were freshman but couldn't beat ND or Baylor and didn't get the #1 ranking until the final season poll. But for 'low expectations 2002-3 and this year are tops for the same reason - 2002 graduation of Sue Swin Tamika and Asjha - all taken in the first 6 WNBA picks, and 2016-17 with the big three going 1,2,3.

3. Agree with Alex and Wally - TASSK - Sue Bird was the bottom of that barrel as Kirsten was expected to be the replacement for Rita and Sue to be a nice back-up plan. And the class of Maya and Lorin, and the triple class of Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson were both seen as pretty special. (Maya was so highly regarded that PS went ballistic.) And while it didn't turn out that way, the class of EDD, CD, TH, and HB was anticipated in the same way.

4. The only two that come anywhere close are Kalana Greene and Tiffany Hayes - KG pre knee surgery is only a vague memory now, but she was lightening quick and a good leaper and played a similar undersized post position. Tiffany Hayes won a national SPAARKS competition in HS, has speed, arial ability, and the same ability to finish near the rim against much taller competition - still remember her driving int0 Griner a few times with success. But neither comparison is great - Gabby's vertical must blow both of them away. The final comparison I would make is to Moriah! We don't think of it because she gives up another 4-5 inches in stature to Gabby and an added 3 or 4 inches in arm length, but Moriah might actually have a greater elevation from the floor, has more speed, and could do the same kind of miraculous fronting of much taller post players - she had a couple of steals of entry passes into Imani Stafford that remind me of Gabby's work this year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The final comparison I would make is to Moriah! We don't think of it because she gives up another 4-5 inches in stature to Gabby and an added 3 or 4 inches in arm length, but Moriah might actually have a greater elevation from the floor, has more speed, and could do the same kind of miraculous fronting of much taller post players - she had a couple of steals of entry passes into Imani Stafford that remind me of Gabby's work this year.

Only thing I'd disagree on. I mean, you don't become a world class high jumper by not having a ridiculous vertical. Moriah is an amazing athlete, no doubt (Lorin Dixon had a hell of a vertical too). But Gabby's athleticism is accentuated because of her size. I mean, measurables aren't in a vacuum. For example, how high can Moriah reach on her vert vs Gabby? It's not close. Moriah was definitely quicker, in a vacuum, but the athleticism of those you are playing against is a factor there.

Reaction Score
2) The 02-03 team reach AP and Coaches #1 in week 13.
Ten years later, the 12-13 team reached AP and Coaches #1 (briefly) in week 9.
This year's team became AP #1 in week 5 and Coaches #1 a week later.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Only thing I'd disagree on. I mean, you don't become a world class high jumper by not having a ridiculous vertical. Moriah is an amazing athlete, no doubt (Lorin Dixon had a hell of a vertical too). But Gabby's athleticism is accentuated because of her size. I mean, measurables aren't in a vacuum. For example, how high can Moriah reach on her vert vs Gabby? It's not close. Moriah was definitely quicker, in a vacuum, but the athleticism of those you are playing against is a factor there.
No question Gabby attains a much greater height, but she is also lifting a much greater weight and I suspect her elevation off the floor for her feet is not significantly different from Moriah's - that still gives her 8+ inches of greater reach which is not in doubt. That was what I was trying to say - if you measure their leaping reach and subtracted their standing reach the result I suspect would be pretty much the same.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I await my schooling.
I may be part of the "middle aged" guard, as my knowledge of the prior millennium is somewhat limited. Some responses, partly off the wall and early serious:

1. Possibly some ND games of 2, 3, or 4 years ago.

2. The 2002-3 team if it was #1 at this point in the season. It might not have been on this date.

3. We have had some great talent infusions, including the 1998 TASSK group (3 Olympians), 2008 group (EDD, Tiffany, Caroline pre-injury, and Heather), 2010 (Stef, Bria, Samarie, et al.), and 2012 (top-3 draft picks), but I think 2017 is the best group in terms of quality and quantity. Both Azura and Megan are strong NPOY candidates. And there are SIX of them!

4. She is unique. She reminds me a little of Nykesha without the shooting range. A bit like Kalana Greene and David Thompson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom