Question on Shane Day comments on Boyle from signing day reception. | The Boneyard

Question on Shane Day comments on Boyle from signing day reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He said something like "I rated what I thought were the top 60 QBs in HS and had Tim rated #1."

But he never clarified, is this all QBs or just the UC targets?

Boyle reminds me of Matty Ice, I'll take that.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
He said something like "I rated what I thought were the top 60 QBs in HS and had Tim rated #1."

But he never clarified, is this all QBs or just the UC targets?

Boyle reminds me of Matty Ice, I'll take that.

doesn't matter, hes going back to the nfl next year. he came here thru a connection that p had. now he got passed over imediately without getting a shot.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but this was more of a talent evaluation rating.

As for Day, can't blame him if he gets back to the league or a bigger Conf. Huge $$.

Look at TJ Weist, signed for only $250k. Most OCs in top confs are > $500k. And NFL = $1m+.

The anomaly is PP somewhat. $1.5mm for this result?? Good for him I guess

doesn't matter, hes going back to the nfl next year. he came here thru a connection that p had. now he got passed over imediately without getting a shot.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Maybe, but this was more of a talent evaluation rating.

As for Day, can't blame him if he gets back to the league or a bigger Conf. Huge .

Look at TJ Weist, signed for only $250k. Most OCs in top confs are > $500k. And NFL = $1m+.

The anomaly is PP somewhat. $1.5mm for this result?? Good for him I guess

fwiw, i took it as boyle was rated #1 among the qbs that uconn offered, had on radar or saw in camps/visited. there are about 40 qbs in the class that are better than boyle so no matter what the quote was its a lie. we offered hackenburg so there u go right there. but hey, i have a guy telling me in another thread we dont lie, shoulnt lie becuase recruits see thru it and lieing is bad etc etc. fun times on here.

pj

Reaction Score
fwiw, i took it as boyle was rated #1 among the qbs that uconn offered, had on radar or saw in camps/visited. there are about 40 qbs in the class that are better than boyle so no matter what the quote was its a lie. we offered hackenburg so there u go right there. but hey, i have a guy telling me in another thread we dont lie, shoulnt lie becuase recruits see thru it and lieing is bad etc etc. fun times on here.

Lying is bad, he shouldn't have done it. There was no reason to say Boyle was rated #1 when he obviously wasn't. Just say he is a talented QB with great potential. No need to gild the lily.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Lying is bad, he shouldn't have done it. There was no reason to say Boyle was rated #1 when he obviously wasn't. Just say he is a talented QB with great potential. No need to gild the lily.

u should watch the dazzlers welcome to bc speach. lying is culture in this sport but some here want to play tea party and patty cakwe instead of play ball. everyday amazes me how small time uconn and its fans are.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
u should watch the dazzlers welcome to bc speach. lying is culture in this sport but some here want to play tea party and patty cakwe instead of play ball. everyday amazes me how small time uconn and its fans are.

HFD, settle down now. I agree with PJ that we should be relatively forthright with these young men, and that in no way, shape, or form qualifies me as "small time"...

pj

Reaction Score

There's always a way to get your point across without lying. You don't need to point out your weaknesses and you can play up your strengths and your competitors' weaknesses, but outright lying is a fool's game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There's always a way to get your point across without lying. You don't need to point out your weaknesses and you can play up your strengths and your competitors' weaknesses, but outright lying is a fool's game.

This!

If a coaching staff goes around blatantly lying all the time on the recruiting trail, that $#it will last for one year. Word gets out, and suddenly there is nobody around who trusts you anymore. I'm not saying that in reference to what Coach Day said about Boyle. He might honestly feel that way about him. I'm guessing it's unlikely, but I don't know. However, if a coaching staff goes out with the intention to deceive multiple 18-year olds along the trail, the word will get out...

Reaction Score
When he said that I was taken aback. I thought that he meant that he had looked at 60 kids. Not necessarily the best in the nation. But of the 60 he looked at, Boyle ranked numero uno. Who else is just speculation.

Reaction Score
He said #1 among his top 60.

But not encouraging to hear there are 40 higher ranked ones?

Reaction Score
He said #1 among his top 60.

But not encouraging to hear there are 40 higher ranked ones?
Do you know who HIS top 60 were ? We don't know who he looked at so we can't speculate.

Don't understand about 40 higher ranked ones? Who are they? How did the number 40 just suddenly appear in this conversation?

pj

Reaction Score
Don't understand about 40 higher ranked ones? Who are they? How did the number 40 just suddenly appear in this conversation?

Don't know. The 247sports composite ratings have Lagow #47 among pro-style QBs (http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=PRO) and his rating of 0.8272 would place him behind 34 DUAL QBs (http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Fo...ngs?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=DUAL), so he'd be the #81 QB nationally.

I think he's under-rated for various reasons, I think you can pretty much take it for granted that a Texas state 7v7 champ is going to be top 40 nationally, but the delayed signing may suggest a reluctance to compete which is a big negative if that's the case.

Reaction Score
Do these rankings really matter ? The winning superbowl QB played at Delaware - no ?

And the opposing qb played at Nevada.

Recent Super Bowl QB Alma Maters: Miami(Ohio) (Roethlisberger), Fresno State (Trent Dilfer), Northen Iowa (Kurt Warner).

Phil Simms played at Moorehead State.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
and none of those schools are uconn either guys. stop making excuses and get real. we ned to land the best kid we can every class.

either day looked at 60 qbs all form ct or he lied. its not hard to find a top notch qb. we offered a couple great qbs who went elsewhere no surprise. so i dont know how he could possibly say what he said.

Reactions: pj

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Phil Simms played at Moorehead State.
Well I can see how that name might be misleading to a high school kid.

Wait, it's spelled with two o's? So it doesn't mean...? Damn it!

Reaction Score
1st time that I saw Shane Day up close and in person. My comment to my son was "somehow I don't see Jay Cutler taking direction from someone so young looking". Going back to the NFL will take a little more effort than what we saw on the field last season. Hopefully he and the new OC can work better together.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well I can see how that name might be misleading to a high school kid.

Wait, it's spelled with two o's? So it doesn't mean...? Damn it!

It's actually spelled with one.

And Day was doing two things. Sticking his thumb in someone's eye and making it clear to the 200 people who follow UConn recruiting closely he knows what he did.

Reaction Score
1st time that I saw Shane Day up close and in person. My comment to my son was "somehow I don't see Jay Cutler taking direction from someone so young looking". Going back to the NFL will take a little more effort than what we saw on the field last season. Hopefully he and the new OC can work better together.
Jacki, Guess what. Cutler did!!

Reaction Score
Do these rankings really matter ? The winning superbowl QB played at Delaware - no ?

But he was beaten out in college and transferred.
Brady almost left Michigan in a similar fashion.

This is why you can't always say that college coaches play the best QB. They don't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom