QB for next year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

QB for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with writing anybody off. It's about the level of competition at the position on this team. Should be maximized to push him or whomever to be the best option for the good of the team. If we don't we limit overall team growth on thd football in real games. So far I don't think anybody here can argue against me that we're not that good at producing truly productive/consistently productive QBs up in Storrs.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Williams will be fine. Don't blast him after 3 games in the hot seat.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We need a QB that is paid to go to UConn, make us relevant and go to the NFL. We will get caught, sure, but we need to get on the map.

How much you think it'll take to get both CJ Lewis and Tarik Black as a tandem?

Reaction Score
No disrespect to GA, but he wasn't even a fulltime started at the juco level. In fact i believe he was 2nd string. If we go the juco route again we gotta secure a kidwith a little more ability.
No ill intent to good citizen Anderson, but his 1 important completion was fortunately a poorly defended tossed turtle. A far more skilled, grad transfer QB with some actual game experience may be ideal, especially if dream boy's so good Williams gets a full RS year and Everett, MA QB Jordan McAfee signs with UConn and gets a full RS year next season. Lots of ifs ...

Reaction Score
We need an "Orlovsky" in terms of decision making, arm strength, quick release and courage under pressure. And a QB coach who can coach up a "spread QB". We currently have a power formation coaching staff trying to employ "spread QB" principles. That's called "fitting square pegs into round holes" thinking.

Reaction Score
We need an "Orlovsky" in terms of decision making, arm strength, quick release and courage under pressure. And a QB coach who can coach up a "spread QB". We currently have a power formation coaching staff trying to employ "spread QB" principles. That's called "fitting square pegs into round holes" thinking.
Which was embarrassing. I just don't understand how that doesn't get addressed during the off season

Reaction Score
I am not ready to push the ejector seat button on Donovan Williams just yet. For the time being he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. This year was a valuable learning experience that will give him a much better grasp of the offense over the Winter and Spring. So glad that he got the game experience starting now and not next year. Not saying he is going to be great or terrible. Just holding back for now. Most have already have determined he doesn't have it. Too soon to tell as far as I am concerned.

he has not shown even a glimpse that he has it.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I know it doesn't count for much, given his terrible accuracy, but Williams does throw a nice spiral.

The harsh reality we're facing is a Williams, McAfee off-season battle. Which basically means it's Williams' job to lose.

I do think Williams deserves more than three games, with the RB coach as his OC, in his true freshmen season, too prove he doesn't belong.

Although I like the 6'4 McAfee, I'm a guy who likes his QB tall and slow.

Reaction Score
One of the most important games for our future will be played at 1pm Dec 3rd at Manning Field in Lynn MA when Everett meets Xaverian for the MA Division 1 High School Super Bowl Championship. Our incoming QB next fall, Jordan McAfee will be leading the Everett squad. I watched another MA Super Bowl a few years back when one of our running back recruits, Jordan Todman, ran wild for North Dartmouth in a losing effort. Anytime we have a star recruit named Jordan, we should all be paying attention! Look, we've hit the nadir and I'm happy to end this nightmarish season but McAfee (a great kid) just may be the genuine "QB of the future" for UConn. (BTW, McAfee is considered a better HS prospect than Donovan Williams.)

ps That same day my grandson Jack will be playing at Gillette Stadium in the Div 2 Championship as his 11-0 Marblehead squad meets Falmouth. That's where I'll be at 3:30pm--where Tom Brady plies his craft, but also listening to the 1pm Everett game.

Jordan McAfee - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

X's and O's: Everett QB Jordan McAfee could be something special for UConn

Division 1 – Xaverian versus Everett in the Division 1 Super Bowl in Lynn on Saturday at 1:00 PM. Wow, what a game. They already met back in September with Xaverian coming out on top in a close 17-14 win but this Everett offense has improved dramatically since that game having scored over thirty five points in every game since the end of September. Not only do they have U Conn bound QB Jordan McAfee running their offense but they also have a number of running backs and wide receivers including Marvens Fedna, Chris Jenkins, Mike Sainristal and Jason Maitre that can contribute at a high level. The problem is they will be going against the Xaverian defense which is the best in the state with stars like Brown bound DE Cal Flanders, LB AJ Ryan, LB Colin Lama and DB Mehki Henderson. If McAfee can throw against the Hawks defense they could generate enough points to pull the upset.

Division 2A – Marblehead versus Falmouth at Gillette at 3:30 PM. In a match-up of unbeaten teams, can QB Nick Couhig, RB Mike LaFrange and the Clippers finally give Marblehead a game? The Magicians have dominated every game they have played this season but the Falmouth offense has been consistent as they have racked up wins over good competition. That being said, look for Marblehead TE Andy Clough and WR Derek Marino to power the Marblehead offense to a win.

Reaction Score
Either We land a JUCO or 5th year or Sheriffs comes back. Maybe both but we aren't going into next year with a true Frosh a 2nd year player and a couple of walk ons. Not happening. Maybe we catch a break and land somebody.

Reaction Score
It's a definite Shireffs isn't coming back? We really need a grad transfer or a juco to compete for job. DW needs to show a ton of improve the just to be mediocre. How did this happen?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Probably regretting concerting 3 QBs to receiver right about now...

Reaction Score
Just look at that list of guys we aimed for in 2016....3 of the 7 are listed at other positions other then straight QB. That just shows that he isn't looking for a true QB but some hybrid combination thing in the same mold as Davis, Rose, and Sherrifs. Look at how 2 of those 3 turned out.....and yes I know Rose was a personal issue and he wasn't going to even play QB here but it's just an example and I believe it was stated that he'd be given a shot possibly to play QB (my memory may be off on that one)
High school QBs are often the best athletes on their team. Darius Butler was a high school QB. They are highly desired and recruited because they can move to many other other positions if they don't work out at QB.

Diaco did this with Davis (although I think he pulled the trigger much too fast on that move.)

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
No way Sheriffs comes back to UConn after this debacle this season... My money's on Williams, or a transfer... Who is somewhere else in FBS right now and not happy with playing time/sitting the bench/coaching changes that could play immediately? We need another Witmer honestly. Just a kid who can do just enough to get by- beef up our O-Line and get our ground game moving again...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Given all the absurd praise put on DW by wacky Bob, who on the outside thinks they have a real shot if they come. Reason #23432 Bob should not be allowed to talk to the media at this point.

Reaction Score
High school QBs are often the best athletes on their team. Darius Butler was a high school QB. They are highly desired and recruited because they can move to many other other positions if they don't work out at QB.

Diaco did this with Davis (although I think he pulled the trigger much too fast on that move.)

Have you actually watched when Davis has thrown the ball on the fake FGs? His arm strength makes BS look like Roger Clemens.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
QB is the king
Benching BS was not right
DW? Hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors