QB for next year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

QB for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Here was 2016:
  1. Anthony Brown (DT QB) - St John Vianney High School, Holmdel NJ (BC Commit 5/22/15)
  2. Mike Collins (QB) - New Canaan High School, New Canaan CT (UPenn Commit 5/29/15)
  3. Tyler Fleetwood (QB/WR) - Parkview High School, Lilburn GA (Miami Ohio 7/23/15)
  4. Steven Frank (QB) - Oswego High School, Oswego, Illinois (FAU Commit 12/5/15)
  5. Anthony Russo (QB) - Archbishop Wood Catholic High School, Warminster PA (Rutgers Commit 5/18/15>Decommit 1/11/16>Temple Commit 1/16/15)
  6. Jovani Haskins (QB/TE/DE) - Bergenfield High School, Bergenfield NJ (University of Miami Commit 1/29/16)
  7. Jordan Kitna (QB) - Waxahachie High School, Waxahachie, Texas (Michigan State PWO Commit 2/4/16)
Agree 110% on OL.
Just look at that list of guys we aimed for in 2016....3 of the 7 are listed at other positions other then straight QB. That just shows that he isn't looking for a true QB but some hybrid combination thing in the same mold as Davis, Rose, and Sherrifs. Look at how 2 of those 3 turned out.....and yes I know Rose was a personal issue and he wasn't going to even play QB here but it's just an example and I believe it was stated that he'd be given a shot possibly to play QB (my memory may be off on that one)

Reaction Score
Just look at that list of guys we aimed for in 2016....3 of the 7 are listed at other positions other then straight QB. That just shows that he isn't looking for a true QB but some hybrid combination thing in the same mold as Davis, Rose, and Sherrifs. Look at how 2 of those 3 turned out.....

those positions are usually just the ones on recruiting websites. they don't really mean anything

Reaction Score
Just look at that list of guys we aimed for in 2016....3 of the 7 are listed at other positions other then straight QB. That just shows that he isn't looking for a true QB but some hybrid combination thing in the same mold as Davis, Rose, and Sherrifs. Look at how 2 of those 3 turned out.....

Two (Fleetwood/Haskins)... Brown is Dual Threat (DT) which I stopped using as there was often a conflict between sites).

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Two (Fleetwood/Haskins)... Brown is Dual Threat9DT) which I stopped using as there was often a conflict between sites).
Thanks for the clarification. I just assumed that if they were listed as a possible position then they were being recruited at that position by one school at least. I know many of these kids play multiple positions in HS.

Reaction Score
Acknowledging the current coaching situation, Williams' initial play, strong likelihood Shirrefs moves on, and current #s of typically recruited QBs (not including a walk-on later granted a scholarship based on hard work), regardless of who ends up as head coach, OC, and QB coach, how does any reasonable individual argue against targeting a grad transfer QB? As tough a sell as it may be to prospective grad transfers, UConn needs more QBs for next season. Best scenario, a quality QB joins the Huskies, wins the job, and maybe Williams even gets his redshirt season. Yeah, yeah, I know, way too many what ifs ... yet dreaming helps improve the forecast.

Reaction Score
It all starts with the O-line. If you don't have the best O-line in the AAC then how can you even think to be invited into a P-5 conference? Start there and even Boyle could have won us 6 games this season(well that might be a stretch but 5 anyways). Williams might be good enough to QB at this level but you'll never know if the guys upfront can't give him time to execute. Nobody really knows how good Whitmer, Cochran, Sherrifs and now Williams could have been/will be because none were given a serviceable O-line.

Wish i could like this 100 times! Yes, UConn needs much better line play; Shireffs was killed b/c of the line.

Reaction Score
One of the most important games for our future will be played at 1pm Dec 3rd at Manning Field in Lynn MA when Everett meets Xaverian for the MA Division 1 High School Super Bowl Championship. Our incoming QB next fall, Jordan McAfee will be leading the Everett squad. I watched another MA Super Bowl a few years back when one of our running back recruits, Jordan Todman, ran wild for North Dartmouth in a losing effort. Anytime we have a star recruit named Jordan, we should all be paying attention! Look, we've hit the nadir and I'm happy to end this nightmarish season but McAfee (a great kid) just may be the genuine "QB of the future" for UConn. (BTW, McAfee is considered a better HS prospect than Donovan Williams.)
ps That same day my grandson Jack will be playing at Gillette Stadium in the Div 2 Championship as his 11-0 Marblehead squad meets Falmouth. That's where I'll be at 3:30pm--where Tom Brady plies his craft, but also listening to the 1pm Everett game.

Jordan McAfee - Football Recruiting - Player Profiles - ESPN

X's and O's: Everett QB Jordan McAfee could be something special for UConn

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
One of the most important games for our future will be played at 1pm Dec 3rd at Manning Field in Lynn MA when Everett meets Xaverian for the MA Division 1 High School Super Bowl Championship. Our incoming QB next fall, Jordan McAfee will be leading the Everett squad. I watched another MA Super Bowl a few years back when one of our running back recruits, Jordan Todman, ran wild for North Dartmouth in a losing effort. Anytime we have a star recruit named Jordan, we should all be paying attention! Look, we've hit the nadir and I'm happy to end this nightmarish season but McAfee (a great kid) just may be the genuine "QB of the future" for UConn. (BTW, McAfee is considered a better HS prospect than Donovan Williams.)
ps That same day my grandson Jack will be playing at Gillette Stadium in the Div 2 Championship as his 11-0 Marblehead squad meets Falmouth. That's where I'll be at 3:30pm--where Tom Brady plies his craft, but also listening to the 1pm Everett game.

Good luck to you guys. Who knows...maybe Jodi and I will find ourselves at Gillette. Was thing about taking her to the Wrentham outlets anyway.

Reaction Score
Graduate Transfer or juco should be in play for next year.
Like your thought for bolstering position ....
why we didn't go with Anderson after BS went down is baffling to me.
Was at the BC game seeing a 5th year grad transfer riddle us.....

Reaction Score
Tyler Davis

We have enough tight ends next year. Not enough QB's. Look for this move. I don't think anybody expected that BS might not be back. Remember BD said TD was too good to be standing around with a clip board in his hand. With Shirreff likely gone and McAffe being a frosh, Davis could be back in the QB mix. He has shown, size, quickness, leadership and heck he was 2-3 in passing this year!

Reaction Score
Like your thought for bolstering position ....
why we didn't go with Anderson after BS went down is baffling to me.
Was at the BC game seeing a 5th year grad transfer riddle us.....
No disrespect to GA, but he wasn't even a fulltime started at the juco level. In fact i believe he was 2nd string. If we go the juco route again we gotta secure a kidwith a little more ability.

Reaction Score
No disrespect to GA, but he wasn't even a fulltime started at the juco level. In fact i believe he was 2nd string. If we go the juco route again we gotta secure a kidwith a little more ability.
Agree KTUCK..... have to believe they are out there.... recruiting must be there and more importantly, Susan needs to get admissions to square up with the needs of the University and view the athletic department as a marketing tool for the University as a whole

Reaction Score

Good luck to your Grandson (saw Falmouth beginning of year - tough out).
Jordan third from right.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter who qb is without changes and significant ones to that feeble of an offensive line this O will never improve even slightly. Backs can't run and plays can't develop if line can't do their job and block.

OLs can only fail when you are not prepared on offense to make the defense pay. When teams become hyperaggressive and disrespect you, the OL will fail every time.

The coaches are incapable of preparing QBs.

Our QBs duck and run as soon as their first option is covered. They never step up into the pocket or move away from a directed pass rush. In fact, we have coaches who call blind run fakes into the mouth of outside rushers, repeatedly.

UConn might have the worst OL in the history of mankind. But you will not know if this is true until the team has coaches who know how to help QBs throw the ball to secondary receivers after buying an extra half-second in the pocket.

Reaction Score
Yes and the fact he's a terrible QB and can't make quick reads and decisions

Wish i could like this 100 times! Yes, UConn needs much better line play; Shireffs was killed b/c of the line.

Reaction Score
We need a QB that is paid to go to UConn, make us relevant and go to the NFL. We will get caught, sure, but we need to get on the map.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Our QB for next year cannot be on campus at this time. What we have in house is not nearly good enough no matter how many reps they get.

If we don't get a JUCO or 5th year senior we are absolutely screwed. DW is so far short of being a D1 QB at this time that he'll need another whole season on the scout team, maybe 2.

Reaction Score
The best QB at UConn is probably not even on the roster IMO

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'm going to defend Shirreffs. Admittedly, he is a flawed QB. However, even the best QBs get happy feet when they are constantly on the run. Our OL couldn't pass or run block against MAINE. Consistently in 3rd and long with a crappy line would make any QB dodgy. Shirreffs rarely had time to check down before he had to duck and run. Shirreffs was not the problem. The offensive woes were all on the OL. The OL regressed from last year to this year and I don't know if that is on the staff or the kids.

Reaction Score
I am not ready to push the ejector seat button on Donovan Williams just yet. For the time being he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. This year was a valuable learning experience that will give him a much better grasp of the offense over the Winter and Spring. So glad that he got the game experience starting now and not next year. Not saying he is going to be great or terrible. Just holding back for now. Most have already have determined he doesn't have it. Too soon to tell as far as I am concerned.

Reaction Score
I am not ready to push the ejector seat button on Donovan Williams just yet. For the time being he gets the benefit of the doubt from me. This year was a valuable learning experience that will give him a much better grasp of the offense over the Winter and Spring. So glad that he got the game experience starting now and not next year. Not saying he is going to be great or terrible. Just holding back for now. Most have already have determined he doesn't have it. Too soon to tell as far as I am concerned.

Agree that too early too tell, no one could function without an offensive line (that was slow and suspect), poor game time decision making and an inexperienced OC......
DW was coming off an injury and, IMO, never got comfortable and never got his feet under him. It does not mean I agree with the Redshirt coming
off either.... just giving any benefit of the doubt on his future ability a backseat right now.... let's see how the young lad develops....

Reaction Score
The fact that people are writing off Williams after three games in his true freshman season is why I can't take most of you seriously.

He shouldn't be written off, but he shouldn't be counted on to be ready to play next year. Need to have someone else in mind, and if Williams makes great strides this offseason and wins the job than even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom