QB for next year | The Boneyard

QB for next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe I should let he meltdown continue before asking a questions about next year but what the hell does UConn do at QB next year. We have no depth. We better go shopping at the JUCO store or pull in a transfer.

The problems is if Diaco really believes his own nonsense he won't pursue upgrading the position with a Juco or transfer.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter who the QB is. We'll win two games at the most.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter who qb is without changes and significant ones to that feeble of an offensive line this O will never improve even slightly. Backs can't run and plays can't develop if line can't do their job and block.

Reaction Score
D.Williams looks like he has solid athletic skills but shows very little in QB skills. I blame a lot of this on throwing him out there raw with our horrific offensive schemes and putrid OL. Wouldn't give up on him just yet. An offseason of development under a good QB coach could help significantly.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm so disgusted by this position and where we have gone with it.....so looking at what Diaco did with this position we have seen....

1) Started off with some crazy @$$ QB 1a and 1b non sense.
2) CC ends career early and rightfully so. We have CW/TB for rest of season
3) Brings in Tyler Davis as recruit, Garrett Anderson via JUCO, and Bryant Sherriffs via transfer.
4) TB is terrible and CW is what he is. Anderson makes one memorable throw and that's it.
5) Brings in Williams and Rose
6) Rose leaves program before season even starts
7) Davis moved to TE before season starts
8) BS gets injured and is done for season even though the kid gave his all
9) DW finishes season abysmally

So we have seen him bring in a JUCO who barely played, a QB who left, another QB who was moved to TE, and another QB who was told he wouldn't be a QB so he left and came here.

Now we're left with a few walk ones, DW, and possibly the kid who committed, if he stays committed? You have got to be kidding me. This position is such a dumpster fire it's unreal. I know the line has issues but even if they were good, this position would still be a mess going into next season. WTF is going on?!?

Reaction Score
It all starts with the O-line. If you don't have the best O-line in the AAC then how can you even think to be invited into a P-5 conference? Start there and even Boyle could have won us 6 games this season(well that might be a stretch but 5 anyways). Williams might be good enough to QB at this level but you'll never know if the guys upfront can't give him time to execute. Nobody really knows how good Whitmer, Cochran, Sherrifs and now Williams could have been/will be because none were given a serviceable O-line.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thinking about next season makes my head hurt.

Along with QB I see huge holes and I don't think this guy knows how to recruit either. I see a total lack of team speed. I see nothing to stretch the field on offense and we have absolutely no speed at the edges of our defense. What Walsh was doing on the field over Lovenberry is a complete mystery to me. But that's another matter.......I guess.

Reaction Score
There are five quarterbacks due to return. Do they all stink?

Reaction Score
5? whered you find 5? oh you must count the walk ons. Technically we're looking at 4, in the Fall of next year when the Mcafee verbal becomes official in February.
So we got 3 going into the Spring if nobody transfers.

Thats not enough competition IMO. That needs to change.

Reaction Score
I still like Williams' potential. There's a lot to like as much as people here either don't see it or don't want to acknowledge it.

edit: that being said, he'll need a good QB coach to improve.
Lineberg aint the answer. When Diaco talked about his staff switching to the spread a few games into this season, and they were learning on the job, we were f@*ked then. He gets paid all that $$$ and didnt properly prepare this team for the season. smh.
He needs to get an OC in here that knows WTF he's doing. Enough with the learning on the job crap.

Reaction Score
Every good offense starts with the line. Skill positions mean NOTHING with a terrible line. Why every team doesn't address this is beyond me. Alabama has been dominating CFB for a decade because they've committed to recruiting and developing an O-line, the Cowboys have built a massive wall through the draft now two rookies get to look like Troy Aikman and Emmit. Talent helps but it really starts with coaching, look at the Pats dumpster fire at Oline last year until they brought in the right guy now the line is strong with virtually the same roster.
Now as for QB well we recruit FCS players so what do you expect when it comes to talent level? UConn clearly can't recruit the position well so I think the anger needs to be directed at the fact our offensive line gets progressively worse probably due to horrid coaching not just poor talent.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If you're counting BS, don't. No chance he comes back. So DW and three walk ons? Yeah it's not good.....

Reaction Score
I'm so disgusted by this position and where we have gone with it.....so looking at what Diaco did with this position we have seen....

1) Started off with some crazy @$$ QB 1a and 1b non sense.
2) CC ends career early and rightfully so. We have CW/TB for rest of season
3) Brings in Tyler Davis as recruit, Garrett Anderson via JUCO, and Bryant Sherriffs via transfer.
4) TB is terrible and CW is what he is. Anderson makes one memorable throw and that's it.
5) Brings in Williams and Rose
6) Rose leaves program before season even starts
7) Davis moved to TE before season starts
8) BS gets injured and is done for season even though the kid gave his all
9) DW finishes season abysmally

So we have seen him bring in a JUCO who barely played, a QB who left, another QB who was moved to TE, and another QB who was told he wouldn't be a QB so he left and came here.

Now we're left with a few walk ones, DW, and possibly the kid who committed, if he stays committed? You have got to be kidding me. This position is such a dumpster fire it's unreal. I know the line has issues but even if they were good, this position would still be a mess going into next season. WTF is going on?!?
say what you want guys but he doesnt value the QB POSITION the way he needs to. If he did Verducci would've never been hired as OC in the first place.

You know sometimes I wonder of the powers that be think that us UConn football know absolutely nothing about football. Just at thein state HS level. We have a clue. We're just forced to get behind really really bad decisions being made up top. Really bad.

Reaction Score
It all starts with the O-line. If you don't have the best O-line in the AAC then how can you even think to be invited into a P-5 conference? Start there and even Boyle could have won us 6 games this season(well that might be a stretch but 5 anyways). Williams might be good enough to QB at this level but you'll never know if the guys upfront can't give him time to execute. Nobody really knows how good Whitmer, Cochran, Sherrifs and now Williams could have been/will be because none were given a serviceable O-line.
Didn't see this post before i ranted but yeah spot on. Don't address the O-line than might as well drop the program

Reaction Score
Now as for QB well we recruit FCS players so what do you expect when it comes to talent level?.
If you're counting BS, don't. No chance he comes back. So DW and three walk ons? Yeah it's not good.....

Bisack was awarded a scholarship this year so it's 2+2 pending NLI Day (McAfee).

It's not so much recruiting FCS talent - it's getting them to commit and come here (and yes, current offensive scheme doesn't scream "come here to go to next level")

Here are what I had for QB targeted and offered for 2017 and where they "committed to":
  1. Jack Coan (PS QB) - Sayville High School, Sayville New York (Wisconsin Commit 3/24/16)
  2. Kasim Hill (PS QB) - Gilman High School, Baltimore MD (Maryland Commit 4/9/16)
  3. Kenny Pickett (DT QB) - Ocean Twnshp High School, Oakhurst New Jersey (Temple Commit 4/9/16>Decommitt 5/16/16>Pitt Commit 6/4/16)
  4. Collin Smith (QB/RB/Safety/Athlete) - Ligonier Valley High School, Ligonier, PA (WVA Commit 6/14/16)
  5. Rob King (Safety/QB/Athlete) - Father Judge High School, Philadelphia PA. (Temple Commit 7/1/16)
Here was 2016:
  1. Anthony Brown (DT QB) - St John Vianney High School, Holmdel NJ (BC Commit 5/22/15)
  2. Mike Collins (QB) - New Canaan High School, New Canaan CT (UPenn Commit 5/29/15)
  3. Tyler Fleetwood (QB/WR) - Parkview High School, Lilburn GA (Miami Ohio 7/23/15)
  4. Steven Frank (QB) - Oswego High School, Oswego, Illinois (FAU Commit 12/5/15)
  5. Anthony Russo (QB) - Archbishop Wood Catholic High School, Warminster PA (Rutgers Commit 5/18/15>Decommit 1/11/16>Temple Commit 1/16/15)
  6. Jovani Haskins (QB/TE/DE) - Bergenfield High School, Bergenfield NJ (University of Miami Commit 1/29/16)
  7. Jordan Kitna (QB) - Waxahachie High School, Waxahachie, Texas (Michigan State PWO Commit 2/4/16)
Agree 110% on OL.

Perfect Hair

I saw Diaco drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vics
Reaction Score
say what you want guys but he doesnt value the QB POSITION the way he needs to. If he did Verducci would've never been hired as OC in the first place.

You know sometimes I wonder of the powers that be think that us UConn football know absolutely nothing about football. Just at thein state HS level. We have a clue. We're just forced to get behind really really bad decisions being made up top. Really bad.

Ding, ding, ,ding, we have a winner. Any coach that comes out and says his starting QB is not a key starter....well that tells you all you need to know about how he views the position. His viewpoint is only cemented by his delusional comments about Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom