Purvis | The Boneyard

Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've seen a Facey thread and a Durham thread. Perhaps people don't want to give Purvis his fair share of credit because he hasn't lived up the ridiculous expectations many had for him. But he deserves a thread. He caught fire at the right time for us last night and thank god he did or when Cuse was up 37-26 that could've been the nail in the coffin. After Cuse took that 11 point lead he had 11 points for us in a 6 minute span and gave us the lead 45-44. Hit all his FT and was huge on the boards as well pulling down 7. He's a roller coaster of a ride for sure (what the heck was that last second pull up NBA 3 pointer lol) but we needed him big time yesterday and he stepped up to the plate in the second half.

Reaction Score
Purvis deserves all the credit for yesterday's game, especially for the spurt in the 2nd half when they looked dead, but its not "ridiculous expectations" to expect a 5th year senior, former 25 recruit who has shown that he has talent, to average better than 6ppg on 26% shooting against Loyola Marymount, Boston University, Wagner, and Northeastern. Good grief man, if Vital puts up those numbers ok, its execusable, but its not crazy to expect better than that from Purvis.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He's as streaky as they come and I don't think that is ever going to change, but I am glad that he found his stroke for a few streaks yesterday because without that we had no chance.

Admittedly, I wanted to hunt him down and kill him when the floor swallowed him on that breakaway in the first half where you just knew he was going to lose it somehow once he made the decision to take it himself; he grew more and more out of control with each step until he apparently ran straight into the floor.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
2016-17 AAC player of the year - Rodney Purvis

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis can't dribble consistently... He is a spot up shooter we should treat him like one.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Purvis deserves all the credit for yesterday's game, especially for the spurt in the 2nd half when they looked dead, but its not "ridiculous expectations" to expect a 5th year senior, former 25 recruit who has shown that he has talent, to average better than 6ppg on 26% shooting against Loyola Marymount, Boston University, Wagner, and Northeastern. Good grief man, if Vital puts up those numbers ok, its execusable, but its not crazy to expect better than that from Purvis.
Also he ACC Rookie of the year. I don't know. It isn't going to change. He is a 2nd half guy. Oh well. I'll take it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One hot streak doesn't suddenly wipe all of those WTF bricks out of my mind. Three or four might do it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Who are the other 1 seeds, I wonder? Ater Majok? Oriakhi?
I wondered the same thing, and Majok came to mind for me, too; but I don't think he was here long enough to be most frustrating. Although certainly tops in terms of failing to meet great expectations.

I can't put AO on the list because he was instrumental in getting us #3. I don't like how he left, but I wouldn't call him frustrating.

Dyson would be up there for me. Amidah is in the running, too, imo. Gavin Edwards?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
BIG, BIG SHOUT OUT TO RODNEY!!!!!!!!

I understand the correlation between parameters for success and successful expectations. The problem is parameters aren't guarantees for anything. That's the beauty and ugliness of life.

People with high expectations have several options when those expectations aren't met. Personally I think it's a flaw in our character when we choose the option to skewer people when they're not met. And sadly too many of us find that need. We find ways to justify it. But I find it a greater flaw than stepping out of bounds or not being able to complete a fast break.

Holding back emotions is not healthy. But there is a boundary that is frequently crossed in this forum. We turn disappointment into wanting to hurt someone. If a player gets shoved and retaliates with a punch very few people would condone that behavior and only for a limited set of circumstances. We expect some control from them. And yet we often lack that same control.

We lose this game without Rodney. I couldn't be happier that he had this game. No one in this forum had greater expectations than Rodney going into this season. He was looking forward to playing against his "brother" in Maui and finishing up his college career on a high note. UConn can turn the season around, win the NCAA tournament and it still won't bring his "brother" back.

That is the thing that bothers me the most when I see people quickly turning on him and not applauding him when he does well. It's not wearing Husky glasses. It's basic human decency. Certainly many of us have our own life experiences that makes us sad, afraid, angry. But how it is fair that we place these emotions and the resulting needs that they create on individuals or groups outside of ourselves in order to fill our personal voids. Hoping expectations are met is different than insisting expectations be met. And IMO that is what has been done when I read the threads that skewered Rodney and come to this thread in which too few people can support.

Reaction Score
Purvis makes more bonehead plays than anyone else on the team. Sure, he hit a few shots, but his TO's, bad decisions, missed layups, and other errors overshadow a few made field goals. We'd be a better team if Ollie were to move on from Purvis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some people on this board were legitimately expecting a Buddy Hield jump. Cmon now

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Dyson would be up there for me. Amidah is in the running, too, imo. Gavin Edwards?
Rodney, Amida, Dyson, Stanley (should have been a 15/10 guy & a lotto pick), Marcus (could you at least pretend to give a s&*! about defense), Edmund & Kirk King were the ones I thought of. You could definitely talk me into Murray Williams, too.

Reaction Score
Some people on this board were legitimately expecting a Buddy Hield jump. Cmon now

I saw that, as well as the griping about him being excluded from preseason AA & conf teams and I thought they were crazy because I didn't think Purvis was worthy of that hype based on what we saw for 2 years. But that being said, I see nothing wrong with him getting criticized for his play this year, especially against midmajor teams where the team is going life and death at home while he's on the court taking a wet on himself. His play has been substandard even if you are just expecting him to play at the level he did last year against weak comp.

Reaction Score
Purvis makes more bonehead plays than anyone else on the team. Sure, he hit a few shots, but his TO's, bad decisions, missed layups, and other errors overshadow a few made field goals. We'd be a better team if Ollie were to move on from Purvis.

With no Gilbert or Larrier KO does not have the bodies to move on from Purvis, basically just have to bite the bullet and deal with him for one more season and then we move on to the next whipping boy.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I wondered the same thing, and Majok came to mind for me, too; but I don't think he was here long enough to be most frustrating. Although certainly tops in terms of failing to meet great expectations.

I can't put AO on the list because he was instrumental in getting us #3. I don't like how he left, but I wouldn't call him frustrating.

Covington Cormier, Doug Wrenn, Antric Klaiber, Ajou Ajou Deng, Phil Nolan?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Covington Cormier, Doug Wrenn, Antric Klaiber, Ajou Ajou Deng, Phil Nolan?
Cup is another one who wasn't here long enough imo.

He's also one of the players I was most wrong about. I thought he was going to be a good one.

Reaction Score
What about Scott Hazelton. I mean he barely played but the hype was huge.

Reaction Score
I saw that, as well as the griping about him being excluded from preseason AA & conf teams and I thought they were crazy because I didn't think Purvis was worthy of that hype based on what we saw for 2 years. But that being said, I see nothing wrong with him getting criticized for his play this year, especially against midmajor teams where the team is going life and death at home while he's on the court taking a wet on himself. His play has been substandard even if you are just expecting him to play at the level he did last year against weak comp.
Couldn't agree more. He deserves the criticism for his poor play thus far. But something I find to be reoccurring with Rodney over his career here is that many are quick to criticize, yet few are willing to give credit where credit is due when he performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom