Purvis has guts | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Purvis has guts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he plays hard, he just has zero basketball skills

There's a reason he was rated 166 by 247
FYI you always quote the composite number and call it the 247 number.

Reaction Score
He needs a Division 1 attitude. He has just had a ton of minutes dropped in his lap and he plays like it's his birthright. No excuse for a turd like yesterday. His shots may not be falling but he can still hustle. He reminds me of Marcus Cox.

The temperature of this take.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
facey only in recent games has shown an evolved skill set, that happens in basketball. sometimes, opportunity is fleeting. So its fair to change your view point on him, though in rp's case, he hasn't shown that sort of growth, there have been no glimpses. I think its clear adams facey and AB are the best and most important players for KO and the metrics back that.
yep - no glimpse in the Cuse game
UConn could have won without RP
And would have beaten Cinci in the AAC tourney without him or hang close to Kansas last year without him
My, my, we paint pictures with the broadest of brushes
RP is not the best player on this team but I will bet that he will show value as the season grows. I expected more from RP, no doubt.
I am not sure we can use the term growth with RP or KF - KF may have had it in him all along but didn't have the opportunity he has now - playing without a fear of the quick hook. After all he was Mr BBall in NY

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
New Rule:
Posters who trash a player (like Facet should n ed ever play again) cannot praise that player on BY until they have admitted they were wrong in a post.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
It's unreal the level with which people take their opinions on players...

I don't even want to glorify these terrible takes by mentioning them by name, but there are a lot in this thread...

C

Chief00

That scholarship was given in August when it was clear no other players would be joining the roster.

Does Calhoun know you lie so much? I bet he'd be disappointed.
You fail to see the big picture - August never should have happened - if you prioritize using different talent levels with Plan A, Plan B, Plan C etc - you get a guy even if it's a guy who otherwise be going to University of New Haven or Southern or coming from a Juco. A guy who is at least quick and can dribble and pass or a dude who can shoot.
Because you apparently don't have the ability to understand this simple concept doesn't mean I am lying to Coach - or any fan reading my post.
There may be an over concern with APR and that scares us away from some academic borderline guys?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You fail to see the big picture - August never should have happened - if you prioritize using different talent levels with Plan A, Plan B, Plan C etc - you get a guy even if it's a guy who otherwise be going to University of New Haven or Southern or coming from a Juco. A guy who is at least quick and can dribble and pass or a dude who can shoot.
Because you apparently don't have the ability to understand this simple concept doesn't mean I am lying to Coach - or any fan reading my post.
There may be an over concern with APR and that scares us away from some academic borderline guys?

Who cares about "never should've"? That's the reality of what happened. KO made plenty of effort to bring guys in during the Spring period and it didn't work out. Calhoun never missed on recruits?

Oh great, more APR stuff. It's almost as if you actively want us to get banned from the tourney again so you can call for the AD to hire George Blaney in KO's place.

C

Chief00

There's so much to "feeding the bigs" more than just a pass. Number one you have to have the angle, 2 you have to know how to feed the post, 3 the big needs to present himself as more than a stick figure and 4 you need to run a ply which helps the big present himself. I didn't see a lot of any of those and I know the guys we had left have little ability to pass the ball well. Honestly Vital is not bad, Rodney's not very good throwing it in there and we weren't left with much other than disarray after Jalen got clocked. I mean from my viewpoint which was the recliner, this team gutted it's way to OT and I love that. I was also upset they didn't get it to Facey but was also upset we didn't see Steve much because he was a difference on the offensive end ion the first half.

Have to agree for the most part due to what was left on the court Rodney did his best in the situation, played his butt off and that's all we can ask other than make a couple shots. He didn't, next!
I agree feeding the post from the guard position includes the complexities you mentioned. Getting it to Facey at the foul line then going high low to Steve on the other hand is something we should have at least tried. We did have a length advantage at certain positions.

C

Chief00

Who cares about "never should've"? That's the reality of what happened. KO made plenty of effort to bring guys in during the Spring period and it didn't work out. Calhoun never missed on recruits?

Oh great, more APR stuff. It's almost as if you actively want us to get banned from the tourney again so you can call for the AD to hire George Blaney in KO's place.

Of course Calhoun missed on recruits but he kept going down the list until he got someone. God bless KO for targeting top guys - I am 100% behind that - but the next plans down need to be actively worked concurrently.

When open ships happen two years in a row - yes you are doing something wrong.

As for George Blaney - do we miss him? Absolutely. He deserves a nice retirement - but yeah he knew a ton about basketball and basketball strategy. Anyone who ever talked basketball with him that knew anything would recognize that.

You seem almost paralyzed by APR - in fear of impacting it in any way.
Now Coach may have said in private that we are doing this to keep our APR up since we select a brain walk-on who is 99% likely to graduate. I won't go there of course - let's pretend the media line - great kid, hard worker for 3 years being rewarded. Either way wrong approach - with a better support system in place post Hathaway we should be willing to take academic risks on not only plan A guys but a Plan C guy if we strike out on plans A and B.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Guys like Samuel and Lubin? Do you realize we would have nothing to offer Hami now if we used all our scholarships?

Reaction Score
We'd politely tell guys like Lubin, T Sam or Vital to find a new home....fast.

Guys like Samuel and Lubin? Do you realize we would have nothing to offer Hami now if we used all our scholarships?

Reaction Score

People used to say the same stuff about players who became integral to winning at UConn. Think the same exact thing wasn't said about Hilton Armstrong?

Reaction Score
New Rule:
Posters who trash a player (like Facet should n ed ever play again) cannot praise that player on BY until they have admitted they were wrong in a post.

As a man that should come naturally no?:oops:

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
New Rule:

I was stupid enough to speak ill of Kemba Walker in '09. Anyone guilty of blasting a player this season should be willing to come forward and admit they were wrong (if proven so). Whoever you were wrong about, it couldn't be more embarrassing than my self-inflicted crow feast.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
New Rule:
Say a player stops doing what he is being criticized for and and one wants to note that. You're saying that one may not make that observation until one repudiates the critical post. So you would have to say you were wrong even though you were right. Do I have that correct? Of course your Facey example wouldn't affect me because I was saying he would be good this year during the pre-season.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

In the middle of the year, you think they'd kick kids off our team to add a recruit?

What are you talking about? What does that mean?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Say a player stops doing what he is being criticized for and and one wants to note that. You're saying that one may not make that observation until one repudiates the critical post. So you would have to say you were wrong even though you were right. Do I have that correct? Of course your Facey example wouldn't affect me because I was saying he would be good this year during the pre-season.

There is a difference between a critique of a player and saying they should be forced out or never leave the bench. Too many hear don't know the difference between feedback and trashing a kid.If you said a kid should not ever play again, you are wrong.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There's so much to "feeding the bigs" more than just a pass. Number one you have to have the angle, 2 you have to know how to feed the post, 3 the big needs to present himself as more than a stick figure and 4 you need to run a ply which helps the big present himself. I didn't see a lot of any of those and I know the guys we had left have little ability to pass the ball well. Honestly Vital is not bad, Rodney's not very good throwing it in there and we weren't left with much other than disarray after Jalen got clocked. I mean from my viewpoint which was the recliner, this team gutted it's way to OT and I love that. I was also upset they didn't get it to Facey but was also upset we didn't see Steve much because he was a difference on the offensive end ion the first half.

Have to agree for the most part due to what was left on the court Rodney did his best in the situation, played his butt off and that's all we can ask other than make a couple shots. He didn't, next!
I'm with @upstater on this. Auburn changed it's game plan to collapse the defense and dared UConn to start making 3's.

I was concerned about KF's ability to play man to man vs. the zone. Once Auburn changed their game plan he was essentially neutralized. He doesn't frame himself well to receive the ball, he doesn't have a back to the basket game, and he hasn't shown the ability to create with passes like Daniel Hamilton. He needs space to be effective.
I'm really impressed with the way he's improved, particularly on defense and against the zone, but there is no way I can state at this point in time he's the second best player on the team. Stats denote efficiency but they omit the nuances of the game.

Steve Enoch has a terrific back to the basket game and frames himself well to receive the ball. Would like him to finish better, but hopefully that will come. I'd like to see him pass the ball when he gets double teamed, but he's had so few opportunities so we'll see how he develops. Furthermore KF doesn't position himself well to allow it to happen. The big thing this game demonstrated is the liability of Steve on defense. Jared Harper struggled to complete his drives into the lane when Brimah was playing but scored almost every time when Steve was playing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Purvis had the ability to hit open 3s at a respectable clip last season, I'm not sure what has had happened to him this season. That's why I find this whole notion that he's being asked to do too much silly, you can make that case yesterday after Jalen went down but for the most part dude has been bricking open 3s for pretty much the majority of the season.
The whole season changes if he makes his 3's at the same pace as last season even if all the other mistakes and rotten luck for the team stayed the same. Rodney certainly improved his FT shooting. Gave the team a chance at the end of regulation with his FT's.

I don't believe the problem is with his shooting technique. Form appears to be the same as last season (unlike Brimah's foul shots). Something is holding him back. Not sure how much the loss of his god brother is impacting him but I'm sure there is some affect especially early in the season. Now it's probably compounding itself. Shooters need confidence and after a while you begin to doubt yourself which impacts shooting.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Way, This is the kind of post I was referring to. JS M could never post on Vital if he wins some games for us in the future.

It is the Accountability for Ash holes Act Previously these jerks both trashed a player as being unworthy then led f2f he cheering sec

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
OK, Ok, I get it. I get that Rodney is a nice human being and a fine representative of the University. Even on the BY I think that is the general consensus. So, from now on when we debate his basketball abilities we don't have to employ this caveat. He's healthy and we need him right now but as a fifth year senior he isn't very good. He's shooting 33% overall, 29% from the 3, his asst./to per game is +.1 . Against Auburn he shot 23%, 8% from 3, and his asst/to was -2. You can say he has guts, I would say --Man, Rodney had a s****y against Auburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom