Purvis has guts | The Boneyard

Purvis has guts

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It wasn't his day but he kept pushing. Taking the shots. Being the focus after Jalen went down.

Guts.

The only chance we had was if his shots fell... he was willing to look bad to give us a chance to win.

Wish he was better.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
It wasn't his day but he kept pushing. Taking the shots. Being the focus after Jalen went down.

Guts.

The only chance we had was if his shots fell... he was willing to look bad to give us a chance to win.

Wish he was better.
Amen. In a perfect world he's just this era's Rashad, but because we struggled with recruiting so much from 2012-15 and with injuries this year, we're asking him to be Ray.

Reaction Score
still feel like he has the potential to turn it around this season. at the very least, his newfound consistency at the line is a sight for sore eyes.

it was hard to watch him play the point tonight without jalen or vital though. hope we won't have to see too much more of that...

Reaction Score
Amen. In a perfect world he's just this era's Rashad, but because we struggled with recruiting so much from 2012-15 and with injuries this year, we're asking him to be Ray.

Nah, just asking him to be a player that is conducive to winning, which for the most part he's not. He was arguably the worst player on the floor between both teams in the 2 opening Ls at home, just asking him to play at the level when he actually plays decent would've likely resulted in a 2-0 start.

Reaction Score
He may have guts but certainly doesnt have high bball IQ, going on fast breaks with 1 on 3 and losing the ball repeatedly or consistently turning the ball over as a senior. He took bad shots, anyone can hoist up a shot from beyond the arc.

I dont blame the loss on purvis, Ollie's offensive strategy is extremely puzzling at times. Facey and Enoch were making shots, yet we stopped giving them the ball at the end and settled on 3s from someone who was cold.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
RP's game consists of flat footed threes (when he makes them) and an occasional fast break basket. He has no handle and can't beat anyone off the dribble.

Reaction Score

Guts.

Wish he was better.

Right after the buzzer sounded after the missed 3 by rodney the first thing ollie did was walk over to him console/give a pat on the back and thank him for the effort he gave.

Rodney has his pitfalls but he always plays hard and tries even when this aren't going his way

Reaction Score
"Only chance we had to win is if Rodney's shots fell." That is a farce. KO was apparently telling him to feed the post and he goes and misses 12 3's.

Great, great kid, always competes and will be a terrific ambassador for the program. I so wish he was a better player. He has been put into positions he can't handle b/c all the injuries and roster construction in general so he can't be blamed for that. But I just wish after 5 years in college basketball he would understand his limitations.

Reaction Score
Even though Purvis was mostly terrible, like really terrible, I have to echo the sentiment of the OP. If 13 threes is too many, fine. I still want him shooting every time he's open. I'd rather him turn into a mindless chucker than whatever he's been the rest of his career, which is a guy who overthinks everything on the court and ends up dribbling his way into a turnover. Even if he only shoots 33%, those are shots that our dying offense needs him to take.

The 1 on 2 that resulted in an Auburn three right before the half was a back-breaker. Huge swing there.

Reaction Score
He may have guts but certainly doesnt have high bball IQ, going on fast breaks with 1 on 3 and losing the ball repeatedly or consistently turning the ball over as a senior. He took bad shots, anyone can hoist up a shot from beyond the arc.

I dont blame the loss on purvis, Ollie's offensive strategy is extremely puzzling at times. Facey and Enoch were making shots, yet we stopped giving them the ball at the end and settled on 3s from someone who was cold.
Its not the strategy, I get that ultimately the execution will fall on the coach but I think at this point based on KO's quotes the past few games and the way they played for a game and half that bombing away from 3 isn't how he would prefer they play.

Reaction Score
He is what he is. He has a lot of flaws/limitations in his game but I will never bash Rodney. Everything you can think of has gone wrong this season and he's been put into positions where he just isn't comfortable and it most likely won't translate into good basketball but he has never not played hard. We have had other kids in the past where when the going got tough they quit, Rodney has never done that. As frustrating as he is at times he represents the University well, plays hard and is a good teammate. He will do well in life.

Reaction Score
Its not the strategy, I get that ultimately the execution will fall on the coach but I think at this point based on KO's quotes the past few games and the way they played for a game and half that bombing away from 3 isn't how he would prefer they play.

The reality is we don't have much of anything now. We are basically playing with half the team we thought we were going to have.

Reaction Score

That quote is polar opposite of his giddiness on 2 ball victory last game. How do you praise your players for winning with the 2 point shot and the very next game 'allow' them to go 3 ball crazy?

I'd like to think that Ollie can recognize this (in game) and correct/stop it, especially knowing its not working. If not him then what the hell do the assistants do? Someone on the staff must have their eyes open!

So frustrating to watch those bombs missing left, right and center.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Consider that possibly, feeding the Biggs is much harder when you don't have a point guard in the game.

Did you folks think/ Rodney was going to turn into the consummate ball handler and assist machine? I like Rodney and didn't think that for a minute. He was the best dribbled we had with Gilbert, Adams and Vital out.

Adjust? How? It was in OT Vital fouled out. They tried to involve Jackson as a secondary ball handler. He was overwhelmed like a freshman in an overtime game. We had four Biggs in, two of whom were freshman

Reaction Score
Consider that possibly, feeding the Biggs is much harder when you don't have a point guard in the game.

Did you folks think/ Rodney was going to turn into the consummate ball handler and assist machine? I like Rodney and didn't think that for a minute. He was the best dribbled we had with Gilbert, Adams and Vital out.

Adjust? How? It was in OT Vital fouled out. They tried to involve Jackson as a secondary ball handler. He was overwhelmed like a freshman in an overtime game. We had four Biggs in, two of whom were freshman
Rodney didn't kill us playing PG. I was surprised that Auburn didn't put on a swarming press on him but Rodney didn't have a bunch of TO's.
Overall a gutty game by the team.

C

Chief00

Guts.

Wish he was better.

Even Chief00 needs some time to process this post.

C

Chief00

Then what you do is bench a guy when he jacks one up and we could do that if we did not waste a scholarship on a walk on as popular as that is in some circles.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Then what you do is bench a guy when he jacks one up and we could do that if we did not waste a scholarship on a walk on as popular as that is in some circles.

That scholarship was given in August when it was clear no other players would be joining the roster.

Does Calhoun know you lie so much? I bet he'd be disappointed.

Reaction Score
I love the kid but I consider it a selfish play when he hoists a three point brick when he should be getting the ball inside to our bigs.

Reaction Score
There's so much to "feeding the bigs" more than just a pass. Number one you have to have the angle, 2 you have to know how to feed the post, 3 the big needs to present himself as more than a stick figure and 4 you need to run a ply which helps the big present himself. I didn't see a lot of any of those and I know the guys we had left have little ability to pass the ball well. Honestly Vital is not bad, Rodney's not very good throwing it in there and we weren't left with much other than disarray after Jalen got clocked. I mean from my viewpoint which was the recliner, this team gutted it's way to OT and I love that. I was also upset they didn't get it to Facey but was also upset we didn't see Steve much because he was a difference on the offensive end ion the first half.

Have to agree for the most part due to what was left on the court Rodney did his best in the situation, played his butt off and that's all we can ask other than make a couple shots. He didn't, next!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
When Rodney is our best PG left, we all should have known we were in big trouble. He made a valiant effort, but just does not have the vision, composure, and handle to be a playmaker. Christian was worse. I think that the main criticism I would put out there was that last spring it was apparent to me that we were too shallow at PG and an injury to Jalen or Alterique could be crippling. If I could see that, anyone could see it. He brought in Vital, but he is clearly not a PG and we could have used a Sami even if an Austrie was not available. Having said that, we have suffered a "perfect storm" of bad breaks and hopefully the time on the court will help our remaining young guys grow as players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom