PSA for the Diaco Haters | The Boneyard

PSA for the Diaco Haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Per Michael Tarbutt's twitter account, Diaco has cancelled practice and announced a team field trip to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Game, set, match for Diaco.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
  1. A public service announcement (PSA) or public service ad, are messages in the public interest disseminated by the media without charge, with the objective of raising awareness, changing publicattitudes and behavior towards a social issue.
I am changing minds and spreading the Good News, one thread at a time. Also, meant to have this in the regular football sction not recruiting--my bad.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
I'm aware of what a PSA is... This isn't going to change the mind of the "negative" posters. They don't care what Diaco does as long as he wins games.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think this may actually cause the folks with negative opinions of Diaco to dislike him even more...taking away practice time with a hugely important game in Week 1. I don't think of it like that, but other people will. No offense OP but I don't think that this title was well thought out.

Reaction Score
This says to me that this team has met and exceeded all of the goals he set after the first scrimmage....and for pre-season training camp. This wasn't a feel good every one gets a trophy meal that's for sure.

Reaction Score
This says to me that this team has met and exceeded all of the goals he set after the first scrimmage....and for pre-season training camp. This wasn't a feel good every one gets a trophy meal that's for sure.
That's one way to look at it, but don't forget that he skipped a practice last year to take the team to six flags, and we all know how that team turned out. I hope that you're right, but I'll believe that the goals were exceeded based on the way the team looks on the field Sept. 3rd and beyond.

Reaction Score
Do you believe that one caused the other?
No not at all. In fact I think it's a good thing to get away from the field for team chemistry purposes. Just pointing out the fact that these things may not be as much of a reward as they are an attempt to boost morale of guys who have been grinding hard for the past few weeks.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Totally agree with blue93. Being a senior at UConn, I can speak to the fact that the food is God awful and that the players are eating at the same dining hall as I am. To have the opportunity to get off campus and enjoy a steak dinner is invaluable. Second, in personal conversations players have mentioned how excruciating off season workouts and summer camp has been...they've never been worked this hard. Third, doing things like this shows that Diaco cares about his guys and being a 'players coach' can go a very long way in recruiting. One summer practice will not make a winning team, but developing a team of good friends who love each other goes a long way.

Reaction Score
Totally agree with blue93. Being a senior at UConn, I can speak to the fact that the food is God awful and that the players are eating at the same dining hall as I am. To have the opportunity to get off campus and enjoy a steak dinner is invaluable. Second, in personal conversations players have mentioned how excruciating off season workouts and summer camp has been...they've never been worked this hard. Third, doing things like this shows that Diaco cares about his guys and being a 'players coach' can go a very long way in recruiting. One summer practice will not make a winning team, but developing a team of good friends who love each other goes a long way.
In talking to Matt Balis at the season tkt holder bbq..he said that this is the hardest he has ever worked a team in his career. He said that i due to the tough schedule they have this year. It is not a surprise in the least to me that the kids have said this.

Reaction Score
Diaco doesn't have haters, he has doubters. Everyone has given him a pass on year one, but some believe the jury is out on whether he could coach. Move on from the divisive non sense.

Reaction Score
I love the idea, the only problem is he should have taken them to Grants so they could have the mouthwatering steak with the garganzola cheese melted just perfectly on top.
And maybe an ice cold Tangueray 10 and tonic pre-meal for the assistant coaches before you break out that really good Argentinian malbec

Reaction Score
Burton food is much better than the average dining hall.

Reaction Score
Burton food is much better than the average dining hall.
Reportedly, today's average dining hall food is dramatically better than a decade or a few ago. That's not setting the bar too high, but it may be a wake up call "... spreading the Good News, one thread at a time." ;)

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or he's given up and wants to get a good meal in before the sheet hits the fan....

I kid, I kid....

We go out and crush Nova, everyone feels good about this. We get our asses handed to us and look unprepared, the 'in over his head" comments will start coming a bit early this year. I'm not sure how the OP thinks that Ruth Chris field trip is somehow a determinate factor but whatever...

Full disclosure I'm undecided about HCBD. We haven't had a chance to fully evaluate the guy. I hope he'll become our beloved, but somewhat wacky, long term coach. I am deeply concerned that he'll be an example of the Peter Principal in action. Hopefully the first three games pull me off the fence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are coming no matter what he does from a subset of posters on here. First arguable tactical decision someone doesn't agree with and it will cascade.

Of course it will. The "I can do better" know it alls thought that HCRE was incompetent. Before they were shown what results UConn will achieve when it actually has an incompetent coach.

HCBD did plenty to criticize last year, but given that he had zilch for experienced talent and zilch for depth, it is not fair to judge him based on the criticisms. On the other hand, giving him a pass for last year is different than pretending he proved anything last year. The guy has, to date, proven nothing. Hopefully, when we start 2-0, the reality will be different.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
2-0 gets me to mid Oct before any real panic can set in. These are important games.

As for dining hall food, if your chicken comes in any form other than am overcooked "breaded" disk, you shouldn't be complaining too much.

It was bad back in the day. Raiding the Hostess Thrift Store was a nutritional upgrade.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course it will. The "I can do better" know it alls thought that HCRE was incompetent. Before they were shown what results UConn will achieve when it actually has an incompetent coach.

HCBD did plenty to criticize last year, but given that he had zilch for experienced talent and zilch for depth, it is not fair to judge him based on the criticisms. On the other hand, giving him a pass for last year is different than pretending he proved anything last year. The guy has, to date, proven nothing. Hopefully, when we start 2-0, the reality will be different.
I don't know that people though FUCHRE was "incompetent." I think the consensus was that he'd taken us as far as he could (...BCS bowl bid...not too shabby). What I think people did not realize was how far we could slide.

FWIW, if we could go back to P5 (6) membership, annual bowl games with occasional shot a good bowl, I'd take it, in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
you don't take about 100 out for dinner on the spur of the moment. And you certainly don't go to a good restaurant without significant upfront warning and planning. It is also a reservation you do not cancel without significant cost. This was a planned event by BD and his staff. Just like Six Flags was last year. It is not a bad thing (it is a good thing to do) but to suggest it is a reward that came up at the last minute is not accurate at all. And it is not something new that just Uconn does and it is something other Uconn coaches have done (maybe not a steakhouse but there was always something fun/off campus done with te teams).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
2-0 gets me to mid Oct before any real panic can set in. These are important games.

As for dining hall food, if your chicken comes in any form other than am overcooked "breaded" disk, you shouldn't be complaining too much.

It was bad back in the day. Raiding the Hostess Thrift Store was a nutritional upgrade.
The red fish was blazin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99