Proposed changes in College Soccer | The Boneyard

Proposed changes in College Soccer

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I've wanted this, and it would lead to six more regular season games, which is a plus.

Reaction Score
I've wanted this, and it would lead to six more regular season games, which is a plus.

I like the idea, also; but, logistically it maybe some issues:
  1. Additional costs, especially if this impacts DIII and DII in addition to DI
  2. Field Availability as many college hand-over soccer fields to the lacrosse teams in the spring
  3. Poor weather from November through April could negatively impact the ability of northern schools, like UConn, to compete, basically the second coming of NCAA baseball (UConn could at least use that snazzy indoor football practice field)
  4. Academics as this is soccer, not football and basketball, and thus the NCAA may look at a 'year round' sport to be out of alignment with the NCAA's amateur/academic mission

Reaction Score
In order to have any hope of staying relevant, Division I Men's Soccer must lengthen the season. As a developmental system it has fallen too far behind. Even the MLS Draft has become somewhat of a joke with it turning out very few players with the potential to play at the top level in the US. The rest of the players are already subject to "homegrown" claims like Jordan Morris.

And let's face it, if you play a full collegiate career then by that age you should be an established professional, so the college program needs to follow a calendar that mirrors a professional calendar.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like the idea, also; but, logistically it maybe some issues:
  1. Additional costs, especially if this impacts DIII and DII in addition to DI
  2. Field Availability as many college hand-over soccer fields to the lacrosse teams in the spring
  3. Poor weather from November through April could negatively impact the ability of northern schools, like UConn, to compete, basically the second coming of NCAA baseball (UConn could at least use that snazzy indoor football practice field)
  4. Academics as this is soccer, not football and basketball, and thus the NCAA may look at a 'year round' sport to be out of alignment with the NCAA's amateur/academic mission
Basketball runs over 2 semesters. And I think spreading out the games would benefit the players academically, instead of making the fall season practically a write-off academically due to the time constraints put on the players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom