Promotion and relegation | The Boneyard

Promotion and relegation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The concept of relegation and promotion as practiced in Europe can be really exciting. It would be great but I guess there is little chance of something like that taking hold here. I am a Bayern München fan but last year I started taking an interest in a lower level team - Jahn Regensburg - a bit of a yo-yo team that has been has high as second division. Last spring Jahn were struggling to remain in the Third Bundesliga while they played their last season inan old stadium. They have some good support and their new stadium looks great, but they ended up being relegated to the 4th division Regionalliga Bayern (not to be confused with 5th division Bayernliga). After five games this year they have 15 points and are alone in first place so if things keep going this way they should be back in the Third Bundesliga next year. Reserve/U-23 teams for three First Bundesliga and three Second Bundesliga clubs play in their Regionalliga so there is a lot to pique one's interest even at this level.

Reaction Score
Love relegation/promotion set up of European leagues. I usually will select a team or two from the League Championship to pull for thru the season for promotion. This season, once again, it's Derby County and Nottingham Forest (and I'd love to see Fulham get back to the EPL).

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Would love to see Derby County and Middlesbrough be 2 of the 3 to move up.

Reaction Score
We have Promotion in U.S. Soccer. You give Don Garber a hundred million bucks and you get promoted. We also have relegation, but it's called rebranding, see the Houston Dynamo and Chivas USA.

Reaction Score
Love relegation/promotion set up of European leagues. I usually will select a team or two from the League Championship to pull for thru the season for promotion. This season, once again, it's Derby County and Nottingham Forest (and I'd love to see Fulham get back to the EPL).

I like QPR.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for Leeds. Mostly because a big Leeds fan used to sit behind me at FB games.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Good for them. It's gotta start somewhere so why not at the NPSL level. What do those clubs have to lose at this point? If NASL joins them, it's a giant boon for them! Is USL considered the "second tier" over NASL? Is that only because they're linked with MLS? I always thought NASL was considered second tier. Will be interesting to see where this goes...I do think though that it's a start but it will be super challenging for a NPSL team to be promoted under their proposal of a two leg playoff between the NPSL champ and the NASL last place team....

On a side note, they said that a clubs B squad couldn't be in the same league. Is this true in the major European leagues? I believe Barca and Bayern had their B teams at one point in the second tier leagues. If those teams won somehow, could they not be promoted? It would make sense.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not sure this will work. NPSL is Div IV, along with PDL. NASL is Div II. In between them is the USL, Div III. They are kind of trying to jumping a level there.

And no, the B teams are not eligible for promotion to the Div 1 in Europe.

Reaction Score
Not sure this will work. NPSL is Div IV, along with PDL. NASL is Div II. In between them is the USL, Div III. They are kind of trying to jumping a level there.

And no, the B teams are not eligible for promotion to the Div 1 in Europe.
In Germany I'm pretty sure the highest they can go is 3 Bundesliga.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Maybe it was in Spain I saw it then, not Germany

Reaction Score
Maybe it was in Spain I saw it then, not Germany
In Spain, teams of the same Club (A and B squads) cannot be in the same division. The B team (the reserve team) can be promoted up to the Segunda Division, but not La Liga. If they did finish in a place to be promoted, they would remain in Segunda and my understanding is the next team down would get promoted.
B teams are pretty common in Spanish football. Barca, Real, and many others all have B teams in various lower leagues. I'm surprised BPL hasn't gone that route, and had their U21 teams converted to B teams and playing against 1st and 2nd division leagues week in and week out.

Reaction Score

That's right. The design and rules of their system display many of the characteristics for which the Germans are well known. The II. Mannschaften (second/reserve teams) can compete no higher than the third division and I think there can be no more that four reserve teams in the Third Liga in any season, although this season it looks like there at just three reserve teams in the Third league. In the fourth division Regional Leagues you can have up to seven reserve teams, but a reserve team can not play in the Regionalliga unless its parent team is at least as high as the Second Bundesliga. (Regionalliga Bayern has six reserve teams right now). I am confident that Jahn Regensburg will be promoted next year back into the Third league; however their reserves, now playing in Bayernlliga North (5th division) would not be allowed to move up unless the first team is ever able to reach the Second Bundesliga, which they have done in the past for short periods of time. (Reading up on this has been a fun way to get some practice in German.)

Reaction Score
Good for them. It's gotta start somewhere so why not at the NPSL level. What do those clubs have to lose at this point? If NASL joins them, it's a giant boon for them! Is USL considered the "second tier" over NASL? Is that only because they're linked with MLS? I always thought NASL was considered second tier. Will be interesting to see where this goes...I do think though that it's a start but it will be super challenging for a NPSL team to be promoted under their proposal of a two leg playoff between the NPSL champ and the NASL last place team....

On a side note, they said that a clubs B squad couldn't be in the same league. Is this true in the major European leagues? I believe Barca and Bayern had their B teams at one point in the second tier leagues. If those teams won somehow, could they not be promoted? It would make sense.

Division status in American soccer is somewhat less meaningful than virtually anywhere else because of no pro/rel. As far as I can tell, all it does is determine seeding in the US Open Cup.

NASL is DII for now. USL is pushing for DII status so there will either be two DII leagues or NASL will go down, which would be absurd because they have far better attendance and spend more on players.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Division status in American soccer is somewhat less meaningful than virtually anywhere else because of no pro/rel. As far as I can tell, all it does is determine seeding in the US Open Cup.

NASL is DII for now. USL is pushing for DII status so there will either be two DII leagues or NASL will go down, which would be absurd because they have far better attendance and spend more on players.
Thanks. I knew that it was basically worthless but I also have seen places where they view NASL as the second tier. I'm sure USL's relationship with MLS with bring it into the view as being Tier 2 but that's worthless, as you said. Will be interesting to see if this NASL/NSPL thing comes to fruition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom