Pretty good ESPN article on Brittney Griner | The Boneyard

Pretty good ESPN article on Brittney Griner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
LINK

Kate Fagen writes of the impact of the Brittney Griners to women's sports, highlighting the Baylor basketball star of course, and how detractors spin negatively when presented with the unique talents and determined drives to win...

"Women's basketball is maligned for not being as athletic as the men's game, but as women become more athletic, these players are often labeled unfeminine, and therefore unwatchable.

Feel free to pause here and scratch your head."

"Because of her skills and her unique abilities, Griner has added a dimension to the game that hasn't existed up to this point," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said during last year's Final Four.

I thought it a good read with much to ponder as we await the opening of the big dance. Enjoy

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Speaking of Fagen, why is she so anti-UCONN?? Anyone else notice that?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
no. I noticed her points about how there are huge differences in how these unique individuals are perceived depending upon gender which is the gist of the article.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
no. I noticed her points about how there are huge differences in how these unique individuals are perceived depending upon gender which is the gist of the article.

The article was good, yes. I am talking about her predictions and stuff from preseason. Seems like she always has something negative to say about UCONN.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The article was good, yes. I am talking about her predictions and stuff from preseason. Seems like she always has something negative to say about UCONN.

well I don't know about that stuff. I set this thread up to discuss the article (which has some really good points) and would rather not have it hijacked from something written previously. I checked this article and there is nothing derogatory about UConn in it.

Feel free to open another thread to discuss your issue if you wish.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thank you for posting. I loved the Navratilova and Mauresmo reference. I remember Hingis' comments and it made my blood boil. She simply couldn't stand losing to Mauresmo so she stooped to the lowest level trying to find an excuse for losing.

Women with highly athletic bodies and physical gifts are rarely embraced for the beauty that they bring to their sport while men are lauded.

I would love to know how Babe Didrikson was treated and what sort of prejudice she faced, if any.

Reaction Score
My problem with the Fagen article is that it says nothing about the women's game getting as rough and dirty as the men's as the women get bigger and more athletic. She mentions Griner's punch but nothing after that, like her deliberately pulling down Stef. The bumps and trips that happen as part of getting position are one thing; beating up on your opponent is another.

Anyone know if Shaq changed the men's game to be rougher? Do you think Brittany is doing that?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
The focus of the article is on how these uber athletes are viewed by the mainstream, fairly or unfairly, and, not just basketball athletes.

Reaction Score
The focus of the article is on how these uber athletes are viewed by the mainstream, fairly or unfairly, and, not just basketball athletes.

Pretty interesting article and some solid points. Overall, I feel like the fact that Baylor violated numerous rules, hundreds of times, to assemble the current Baylor team is regularly omitted from discussion about them. I don't see how that can be ignored. It is the elephant in the room for me.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
My problem with the Fagen article is that it says nothing about the women's game getting as rough and dirty as the men's as the women get bigger and more athletic. She mentions Griner's punch but nothing after that, like her deliberately pulling down Stef. The bumps and trips that happen as part of getting position are one thing; beating up on your opponent is another.

Anyone know if Shaq changed the men's game to be rougher? Do you think Brittany is doing that?

Actually, I think that's pretty much bull.... Anyone who's watched women's basketball and thinks that today's game is any more physical that the game Sue Wicks, Tammy Jackson, Lisa Leslie, Plennete Pierson and others played is simply not paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom