"Pressure to stay at home" What and how? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Pressure to stay at home" What and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
People in Happy Valley would be devastated if only 80,000 showed up for a game.
There is 106,574 seating, many more still sitting outside tending the grills and watching the game on TV.
But you said Happy Valley environs had 40,000 residents and I assumed 50% would be at the game already so the descending is left to the 80,000 extras. (That is my story and I am sticking to it, as I never make mistakes.)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But you said Happy Valley environs had 40,000 residents and I assumed 50% would be at the game already so the descending is left to the 80,000 extras. (That is my story and I am sticking to it, as I never make mistakes.)

Now that's white!

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Yes - but I think most of those reports are antidotal.

My apologies for not being able to let this pass but: "anecdotal."

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My apologies for not being able to less this pass but: "anecdotal."
They may well be antidotal. We don't want anyone doting on anyone. Plus we clearly had the antidote to Oregon's running game. ucMiami may have been playing with us. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Is there evidence that(some/many) residents of SC are so passionate about WCBB that substantial pressure to remain local is being directed at Wilson? After all, many elite athletes matriculate out of state...just look at any top 25 DivI roster. Just wondering about the foundation(s) for the local pressure assumption.

As for “legacy”, she can’t do that alone.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is there evidence that(some/many) residents of SC are so passionate about WCBB that substantial pressure to remain local is being directed at Wilson? After all, many elite athletes matriculate out of state...just look at any top 25 DivI roster. Just wondering about the foundation(s) for the local pressure assumption.
Well local could (probably does) mean friends, relatives, coaches. Probably not necessarily pressure from Joe and Jane Schmoo as your walking through the mall.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Well local could (probably does) mean friends, relatives, coaches. Probably not necessarily pressure from Joe and Jane Schmoo as your walking through the mall.

I asked for evidence, not "could". I "could" just as easily say some friends and relatives and coaches suggest "How can you turn UCONN down?"...but I don't since I don't know.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I asked for evidence, not "could". I "could" just as easily say some friends and relatives and coaches suggest "How can you turn UCONN down?"...but I don't since I don't know.
I was explaining to you, it's not necessarily the "residents". If (IF) it exists, it most likely comes from coaches, friends, teammates, relatives. So in essence you are probably looking for the wrong evidence. Or looking for evidence in the wrong place. Basically you are asking the wrong question to get at the information you are after.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I was explaining to you, it's not necessarily the "residents". If (IF) it exists, it most likely comes from coaches, friends, teammates, relatives. So in essence you are probably looking for the wrong evidence. Or looking for evidence in the wrong place. Basically you are asking the wrong question to get at the information you are after.

hahaha...wrong 3 times...BoneYard strikeout.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
hahaha...wrong 3 times...BoneYard strikeout.
Ok ozzie, nevermind.

over-your-head-o.gif

Just trying to help you out.

Reaction Score
never criticize a man (recruit) unless you have walked a mile in his/her shoes
Why not? Cause when you have done so, you're a mile away and have an extra pair of shoes.:cool:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Why not? Cause when you have done so, you're a mile away and have an extra pair of shoes.:cool:

why not? You don't get the extra shoes UNLESS you have walked that mile....

HGN

Reaction Score
I believe that Wilson is getting a lot of pressure to stay local........A lot of it from friends and potential new teammates. Just think about it for a minute. How long has it been since a South Carolina native been the No.1 Recruit in the country in bb ? And if you have an aspiring basketball program nearby, well. And add to that one of her friends , Jatarie White , a post and ranked No.7 nationally , has chosen the Gamecocks , and you have pressure from that friend too. The Gamecocks also have Kaydra Duckett , g , # 32 , and Bianca Cuevas, g, #44 coming in. None of the Gamecocks recruits were recruited by Geno. From what I could find not even #7 White. Which player do you think would have chosen the Gamecocks if they were being recruited by UConn ?? Based upon recent NCAA Tournament performance history , Wilson could potentially raise the profile of the Gamecocks and might be able to get them one more level past where they have gotten before in The NCAA Tournament. Maybe to the Sweet-16..... Maybe. But thats about as far as it would go without help from other players because she can't do it alone.. ..... Take the case of EDD as an example.

Now take that same player and add her to the roster of the UConn Huskies, where she would have help at every position currently on that roster and coming in with her. And I see Final Four and a National championship. And a Top rate academic education as well.

With social media such as Facebook , Twitter , MySpace , and whatever out there , believe me she is getting pressure from all sides. But so far I think she and her family are handling it quite well.

JMHO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The situaion of EDD had nothing similar to the situation of A'ja Wilson.

HGN

Reaction Score
The situaion of EDD had nothing similar to the situation of A'ja Wilson.
Ice , I think it is very similar from the standpoint that they could not , or may not , be able to bring their school a NC alone. Not from pressure of staying close to home. EDD was an extreme talent , but she needed quality help around her to take Delaware to a NC. Quality help that was not on Delaware's roster.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
EDD never expected to bring Delaware a national championship. She was a realist about that whole aspect of her decision.

HGN

Reaction Score
EDD never expected to bring Delaware a national championship. She was a realist about that whole aspect of her decision.
I guess there are indeed different types of players out there.........Some who want the thrill of a FF and a NC in WCBB..... And some who just want to play WCBB.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Ice , I think it is very similar from the standpoint that they could not , or may not , be able to bring their school a NC alone. Not from pressure of staying close to home. EDD was an extreme talent , but she needed quality help around her to take Delaware to a NC. Quality help that was not on Delaware's roster.

Ice already made the point, but EDD's decision had nothing to do with thinking she might lead DE to an NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom