Pre-Season All-American team | The Boneyard

Pre-Season All-American team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I believe that the (meaningless) pre-season All-American wcbb team comprises Stewie, Kaleena, Moriah and Jewell (Loyd). If you agree, who's the fifth player?

And if you don't agree, name your five.

I have an ulterior motive for posting this that I will explain later.

Comments, please.

Reaction Score
Harrison or EWilliams
Stewart
KML
Lloyd
Jefferson
I agree, except that I think you're being too modest for your player. I'd be pretty surprised if Williams ended up more deserving than Harrison.

Reaction Score
A lot of the usual suspects graduated. Elizabeth Williams by default. She will be replaced by someone from South Carolina at the end. They will become our main competition. New tools for Dawn Staley: 1)Wilson. 2) Jatarie White, a top-5 center from Charlotte. 3) Kaydra Duckett 5-9 guard from SC powerhouse Dreher. In addition to picking up the top regional players, she also landed a point guard from NYC.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Harrison or EWilliams
Stewart
KML
Lloyd
Jefferson
Add in Tiffany Mitchell's name as a possibility. Maybe Brittany Boyd (Cal) also. Alaina Coates did pretty well last year, a possibility? Not a lot of known players out there this year.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Tiffany Mitchell was an AA last year so she might get a preseason spot on 1st team.

Maybe:

Harrison
Stewart
KML
Loyd
Mitchell

Then Jefferson on 2nd team. FWIW, I think Jefferson belongs on the 1st team list. Just predicting.

Reaction Score
They will never put 3 players from the same team on the pre-season team, which I agree, is meaningless. I also doubt very highly that KML will be on the first team, even though she belongs there.

Mitchell
Loyd
Jefferson
Stewart
Williams

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Based on KML's season last year, they won't put her on 1st team in the preseason. Which is dumb. But those "awards" are meaningless in the preseason anyway.

Reaction Score
MoJeff - Lieberman finalist as a sophomore. Not sure how you leave her off the list.
Stewie - Well, she's Stewie. Makes the list.
KML - What school wouldn't give up their wing or sg for KML? Stats low from short season so maybe someone else gets the nod. She's on my list.
Jewell Loyd - Great player. Makes my list.
Williams or Harrison - Probably. I hope a center comes forward this year..... maybe named Kiah?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Harrison should be one of the top centers.

Reaction Score
I believe that the (meaningless) pre-season All-American wcbb team comprises Stewie, Kaleena, Moriah and Jewell (Loyd). If you agree, who's the fifth player?

Comments, please.
Kia Stokes

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
My Top Five (in no particular order):
Breanna Stewart (UConn) - "Duh" (could not find a clip with Lisa Kudrow/Michele Weinberger actually saying, "Duh," but you get the point)

Tiffany Mitchell (South Carolina) - AP All-America Third Team; SEC POY; top returner on a team that should be ranked #2 in the preseason

Jewell Loyd (Notre Dame) - AP All-America Second Team; ACC Tournament MVP; All-ACC Defensive Team

Isabelle Harrison (Tennessee) AP All-America Honorable Mention; SEC Tournament MVP

Kaleena Mosqueeda-Lewis (UConn) - 13.5 points and 2.5 made threes per game on 41 percent shooting from three...when she was dealing with a multitude of injuries; incredibly versatile forward who also averaged nearly 5.5 rebounds per game and had a 2:1 A/TO ratio. Look at her numbers from her sophomore year, where she averaged nearly 18 points per game, while shooting 53 percent from the floor, 39 percent from three, and nearly 90 percent from the line. Expect a return to those numbers.

Others considered:
Moriah Jefferson (UConn)
Elizabeth Williams (Duke)
Brittany Boyd/Reshanda Gray (California)
Allisha Gray (UNC)
Kaela Davis (Georgia Tech)
Rachel Banham (Minnesota)
Aleighsa Welch/Alaina Coates (South Carolina)
Jazmine Davis (Washington)

Notes, Tidbits, and Random Observations:
1) I went with Harrison over Elizabeth Williams because of the point guard issues. Tennessee has Ariel Massengale back from injury (who was a great playmaker; she only played in 19 games, but racked up 110 assists; her return will mean the ball will be fed to Harrison quite a bit). With Williams, Duke is missing Alexis Jones and has to rely on a career backup combo guard in Ka'lia Johnson. Plus, teams will be able to double down on Williams because outside of Rebecca Greenwell, none of the expected Duke starters has any outside shot or is a reliable threat from three.

2) With Alexis Jones and Diamond DeShields sitting out this year because of transferring (and Jones is injured), the list of potential candidates is noticeably shorter. If healthy and not transferring, those two would have been viable Preseason AA candidates, with DeShields a near-lock for any top five players.

3) With Cal, Boyd and Gray are kind of a combo deal. They are great returning players and should lead Cal to the top of the PAC 12, but they also must go above and beyond, with the graduation of Afure Jemerigbe and Gennifer Brandon, who were the #3 and #4 players for the Golden Bears last year.

4) Kaela Davis and Allisha Gray had incredible first seasons and both are their respective teams' returning leaders. But both were #2 players last year and must step into the shoes of the departed #1 players - Ty Marshall (graduation) and Diamond DeShields (transfer).

5) The last time Stanford did not have at least one player on the WBCA (née State Farm and Kodak) All-America teams was 2001. The last time an Ogwumike was not on that team was 2009. But both will happen this year.

6) Some teams are going to be highly rated/regarded, but are comprised of "players by committee" rather than individual stars - Texas A&M, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. For those teams, the sum is much greater than the individuals parts.

Reaction Score
My Preseason Top 5 (in no order):

G Jewell Loyd, Notre Dame
G Rachel Banham, Minnesota
W Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, UConn
F Breanna Stewart, UConn (POTY)
C Isabelle Harrison, Tennesee

Reaction Score
MoJeff - Lieberman finalist as a sophomore. Not sure how you leave her off the list.
Stewie - Well, she's Stewie. Makes the list.
KML - What school wouldn't give up their wing or sg for KML? Stats low from short season so maybe someone else gets the nod. She's on my list.
Jewell Loyd - Great player. Makes my list.
Williams or Harrison - Probably. I hope a center comes forward this year..... maybe named Kiah?
Kiah will be everything you hope--she now has the confidence and Geno's nod which is big to her, Kiah has been working with her Bro and Dad and her chemistry with the team is great. If this isn't true I'll owe you one thin dime.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Thanks to all for your thoughtful responses.

As some of you know, I maintain a friendly, respectful and private correspondence by email with a sportswriter in a major city whose specialty is wcbb. Last year, when he published his pre-season wcbb AA team, I chided him for including Simmons and ignoring Hartley. Needless to say, we did a little friendly back-and-forth about this as the season wore on.

So this year it is "my turn," in a sense and I thought it only reasonable that I seek some expert testimony before sticking my neck out.

Just so you know, I'm staying with my first four (Stewie, Kaleena, Moriah, and Jewell) and adding Harrison. I will acknowledge others on the cusp like Williams, Davis, Gray, Banham and especially Mitchell as players poised to be honored -- but not yet.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Comments, please.

Kristina Higgins :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it may be unlikely, but I'm wondering if any frosh will make a huge splash--Brianna Turner, A'ja Wilson, Recee Caldwell, Gabby Williams, et al.

Reaction Score
It will be very hard to put 3 from same school on first team. There are better scoring points than MoJeff, but in the UConn scheme she doesn't need to score. She just doesn't turn the ball over and creates more defensive chaos then any point I've seen in today's wcb.

If KML is left off, it should be very motivational.

Reaction Score
As a Cal fan, I'd give PF Reshanda Gray a slight edge for the accolades over her teammate PG Brittany Boyd. Each has had the same achilles heal the previous 3 years—foul trouble for Gray, streaky shooting for Boyd.

No way F/C Alleyne from Oregon puts up numbers like she did last year with Westhead gone as coach. Good player, but Harrison, Williams, Gray, Stokes, Coates, and perhaps some other at better.

UW's Jazmine Davis's soph teammate Kelsey Plum is probably the better player between the two already.

I think Rachel Banham from Minnesota will be a very high WNBA draft pick. Definitely good enough to make an AA team, but it depends on her team's record this year.

Samantha Logic of Iowa is another PG to keep on eye on.

I think Jordin Canada will be the bigger rookie star for UCLA (over Recee Caldwell).

I think the sky is the limit for A'ja Wilson. But Dawn has a lot to work with so she might not fully unleash Wilson right away.

Ohio State's Kelsey Mitchell might put up the most cumbersome numbers of the freshman class.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Tyler Scaife & Kahleah Copper should be in the mix.

I believe Scaife will challenge for B1G POY also.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'd give PF Reshanda Gray a slight edge for the accolades over her teammate PG Brittany Boyd. Each has had the same achilles heal the previous 3 years—foul trouble for Gray, streaky shooting for Boyd.

Ahem.

Achilles' heel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member