Practice Players | The Boneyard

Practice Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Geno was talking about the male practice players during the coaches show last night. He said it all started with Jen Rizzoti's boyfriend (now husband). Why is this the first I've heard of this?

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno was talking about the male practice players during the coaches show last night. He said it all started with Jen Rizzoti's boyfriend (now husband). Why is this the first I've heard of this?
I had not heard that either.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure that Geno is referring to the practice of using Male players at UCONN and of those male players Jen’s boyfriend/husband was the first. The actual practice of using male players goes back to Cathy Rush at Immaculata as documented in the movie Mighty Macs. Geno had a direct connection to this practice long before he was ever associated with UCONN. One of the players on those Immaculata championship teams was Judy Martelli wife of Phil Martelli- St Joseph’s men basketball coach. Phil and Geno coached high school ball together…. There is hardly any coaching success originating from the Philadelphia area that has more than 1 degree of separation from Cathy. Muffet McGraw has zero degrees of separation since she was a regular at Cathy’s Future Stars camp every summer before ND. Pat Summitt occasionally made an appearance. Debbie Ryan ran most of the drills at camp and of course Debbie coached Dawn Staley & Tonya Cardoza at UVA …. Mighty Macs is a great movie for those of you that have not seen it. If you have not seen it when you do try and pick out all the innovations that Cathy brought to the women’s game. It is a great little exercise. Using male practice players was among them as was women BB players lifting weights- I know, common place now but back then it was, perish the thought!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
On a related subject, teams who face UCONN are often confuzled because of the speed at which UCONN plays and we frequently hear "it's impossible to replicate the speed with which UCONN plays at in our practices".

No offense to women, but a team of male practice players who are similar in size to UCONN's players (5'7" to 6'4"), should easily be able to replicate the speed, no? Men are generally faster and stronger so I would think elite teams who use male practice players could also simulate a UCONN offense or defense... (not withstanding our 3 point shooting)...

Reaction Score
I thought all teams have male practice players now? I thought this was standard practice at least amongst the major conference teams and top 25 regulars?

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
On a related subject, teams who face UCONN are often confuzled because of the speed at which UCONN plays and we frequently hear "it's impossible to replicate the speed with which UCONN plays at in our practices".

No offense to women, but a team of male practice players who are similar in size to UCONN's players (5'7" to 6'4"), should easily be able to replicate the speed, no? Men are generally faster and stronger so I would think elite teams who use male practice players could also simulate a UCONN offense or defense... (not withstanding our 3 point shooting)...
Almost every video I've seen of practices includes sessions against the male players. Its commonly known and Geno has made no pretense about it. I'd be surprised if any serious team didn't use them at this point.

Reaction Score
There was a fairly big discussion of this several years ago, when the NCAA investigated the practice. Most elite coaches use male practice players. Some, however, feel that it takes away from development of the lesser female players whose role as "practice player" is usurped by the guys. (The NCAA was worried this was the case widespread.)

Ironically, one coach who felt this way and said she doesn't use male players: Jen Rizzotti.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Almost every video I've seen of practices includes sessions against the male players. Its commonly known and Geno has made no pretense about it. I'd be surprised if any serious team didn't use them at this point.
Until you start to factor in the $$$. Male practice players are typically not there out of the goodness of their hearts Some sort of stipend is usually involved. It could be anything from reduced tuition, to free sneakers, food, etc . The NCAA limits compensation also. I don't know by percentage of top 25 schools who has male practice players but my Daughter played D1 basketball on a team that qualified for tournament one year and her school did not use male practice players.

Reaction Score
Until you start to factor in the $$$. Male practice players are typically not there out of the goodness of their hearts Some sort of stipend is usually involved. It could be anything from reduced tuition, to free sneakers, food, etc . The NCAA limits compensation also. I don't know by percentage of top 25 schools who has male practice players but my Daughter played D1 basketball on a team that qualified for tournament one year and her school did not use male practice players.
You've alluded to an issue about which I've often wondered, and about which I remain somewhat confused, especially after reading the old NYT article referenced elsewhere on this thread. While I can well understand the satisfaction that one might derive from playing hoops with players of UConn's caliber, it would seem that the emoluments offered, and the apparent restrictions placed on those emoluments by the NCAA, leave a fairly paltry level of recompense for all the hours and all the hard work. I would at least expect some form of tuition forgiveness...does anyone on the Board know specifically what the policy is at UConn?

Reaction Score
You've alluded to an issue about which I've often wondered, and about which I remain somewhat confused, especially after reading the old NYT article referenced elsewhere on this thread. While I can well understand the satisfaction that one might derive from playing hoops with players of UConn's caliber, it would seem that the emoluments offered, and the apparent restrictions placed on those emoluments by the NCAA, leave a fairly paltry level of recompense for all the hours and all the hard work. I would at least expect some form of tuition forgiveness...does anyone on the Board know specifically what the policy is at UConn?

Taken from the below linked Bloomberg Business dated March 11, 2011:
NCAA rules prohibit the men from receiving financial assistance for participating, so the most they are allowed to get is practice apparel. At UConn, where Nike Inc. is spending $46 million over 10 years to outfit teams, the 15 members get shoes, Dri-FIT undershirts, socks, shorts, jerseys and the occasional sweatsuit and jacket.

They also get their basketball fix, which otherwise might have gone unmet once they got to college and weren’t good enough for the men’s team.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-hones-connecticut-s-edge-for-ncaa-tournament

Reaction Score
ALL. Jonny come latelys. Pay attention. Jen does have men practice plyerers sometimes. Sully also is one of them.Sometimes. The UCONN men practice players are not a new Phenomenon. They have used them from the begining.Sully (Jen's Husband) was a practice player and that is how they met. Now, to be a UCONN practice player is pretige. There are brothers and cousins and friends that want to be UCONN WBB practice players. They actually have to try out to be on the pracitact squad.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-hones-connecticut-s-edge-for-ncaa-tournament
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/05/s...-these-men-lots-of-guts-but-little-glory.html

A couple of great quotes in these articles. My favorite from Maya Moore-who else!
“If one of them {Male practice players} hits me in the mouth or something, it’s on,” Moore says.

Also got to love the total dedication to the team of these men.
"And yet, at last year's women's Final Four in Atlanta, while Taurasi and her teammates were in luxury hotel rooms, UConn's male practice players were at a budget motel on the outskirts of town, having reserved two $59 single rooms in which they would sleep six. The women flew to Atlanta. The men drove 12 hours through the night."

Reaction Score
Until you start to factor in the $$$. Male practice players are typically not there out of the goodness of their hearts Some sort of stipend is usually involved. It could be anything from reduced tuition, to free sneakers, food, etc . .

Reduced tuition or other financial benefits are not allowed. Only some very minor perks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
These guys all played in high school but were not good enough for scholarships. If they were not in organized practices they would be playing pick-up games on any free court they could find. They like the structure and the 'purpose' and feeling part of a team even if they don't get to play the games. It is not that different from being a walk on on any college team. Except at Uconn you are part of a national championship caliber program.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Also, what gets missed by some is that male practice players aren't at every practice and aren't practicing for the entire practices either. They are a tool in the coaches tool box to be used for specific reasons. And some years they are more required than others if a team is down a few players. There have been years at Uconn where the team struggled for 10 healthy players. Hard to run five on five drills with 8 players!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
My information when we were around the program at Rutgers agrees with everything said. Little glory and less compensation, but very useful. As someone said, they are part of practices, so the time commitment - while doubtless substantial in its own way - isn't as major as actual sports participants, however, they do need to meet eligibility requirements.

As to someones earlier point on replicating team speed - Rutgers is another team whose speed and pressure defense is very difficult for lesser teams to replicate in practice. Always a strong advantage the first time Rutgers played a team.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
There was a fairly big discussion of this several years ago, when the NCAA investigated the practice. Most elite coaches use male practice players. Some, however, feel that it takes away from development of the lesser female players whose role as "practice player" is usurped by the guys. (The NCAA was worried this was the case widespread.)

Ironically, one coach who felt this way and said she doesn't use male players: Jen Rizzotti.
That's interesting. If anything, that may promote less excellent players from attending that school and go elsewhere, which could lead to more parity!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Brian Williams reported on it when HE was a UConn male practice player.
1408386244000-BRIAN-WILLIAMS.jpg

"I remember it like it was yesterday. Sweat was flying everywhere, obscuring your vision. Bodies jostled and bumped as they pursued the ball. Suddenly I took an elbow from Bascom and new I was going to go down. In the distance I heard Geno's voice, a staccato clarion call entreating the players to give more, more, more..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom