PP's Contract and Buyout Clause | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PP's Contract and Buyout Clause

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the truth is mired somewhere in the middle of all the speculation. I also think the underclassmen that are there and the recruits committing this winter will represent better next season and the next crew will represent better than them. I don't buy that it's the coaching staff. I think it's just a matter of giving them a couple years to get the ball rolling.

Reaction Score
I think the truth is mired somewhere in the middle of all the speculation. I also think the underclassmen that are there and the recruits committing this winter will represent better next season and the next crew will represent better than them. I don't buy that it's the coaching staff. I think it's just a matter of giving them a couple years to get the ball rolling.

I respect your opinion. But you're making it sound as if P and staff took over an expansion team, rather then the defending Big East conference champions.

Reaction Score
Do you have any background in making judgments on the hiring and firing of head coaches at the BCS level?

From the Uconn website:

Here's the address: http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/011411aae.html

CONTRACT PERIOD: The term of the contract is January 14, 2011 through December 31, 2015.

SALARY/PUBLIC RELATIONS AND MEDIA APPEARANCES: The contract calls for an annual base salary, as well as, annual payments for institutional public relations and media appearances. The following is a year-by-year summary of those payments:

Period Base Salary Public Relations and Media Fees Total
January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $350,000* $1,150,000 $1,500,000
January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012 $375,000 $1,225,000 $1,600,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $400,000 $1,300,000 $1,700,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $425,000 $1,375,000 $1,800,000
January 1, 2015-December 31, 2015 $450,000 $1,450,000 $1,900,000

In the event that the University terminates the contract for any other reason than just cause as defined by the contract, the Coach shall be entitled to continue to receive the following payment in full satisfaction of the University's obligation to the Coach.

January 14, 2011-December 31, 2011 $1,250,000
January 1, 2012-December 31, 2012 $1,000,000
January 1, 2013-December 31, 2013 $750,000
January 1, 2014-December 31, 2014 $600,000
January 1, 2015-August 1, 2015 $400,000

My feeling is that Warde has to give PP one more year. Through the 2013 season. There will be some serious damage to the program by then, and he will have to put a stop to it. The buyout will be $1,000,000, maybe less if PP takes it all up front.

Reaction Score
I respect your opinion. But you're making it sound as if P and staff took over an expansion team, rather then the defending Big East conference champions.
Which doesn't always mean anything. Look at auburn. What was your point exactly.

Reaction Score

Not sure how it could not have been much more of an expansion project.

BE conference champions that:
  • lost the nations 4th leading rusher early to the NFL
  • the backup RB couldn't get a break getting into a UConn grad program and transferred, leaving a RS Soph who tore up his knee in the offseason, a RS frosh that started the spring in the doghouse for smoking different things, and little else
  • the starting QB (even with all of his warts) graduated, leaving 2 walk-ons, a soph who transferred when a walk-on beat him out, a redshirt frosh, and a true frosh
  • the leading receiver failed out for the semester
  • the oline graduated 2 starters and last but not least, the starting, all conference fullback.
  • the defense lost 2 starting and 1 backup linebackers
  • the returning d-end hurt his ankle / knee in camp, missing half the season
  • the returning safeties were so hapless they were beaten out by redshirt froshes a few games into the season
For all the talent that remained (Teggert, Kash, Griffin, Blidi, Gratz Sio, Reyes & Martin, Trevardo, etc.), I think we can all agree that the cupboard was bare at far too many key spots. As much as I dislike the play calling, I am pleased that the roster depth seems to have been shored up with the last 2 classes.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Gate, every major college football team in the country, starting with Alabama on down, can give you a similar version of that same list. The point is that the infrastructure was place. PP was NOT starting from scratch. Factoring in turnover, injuries, etc, it's fair to measure his record vs. nonconference teams against Edsall's and it's clear he has failed to meet that standard.
People can keep undervaluing and lowballing what Edsall did but saying it over and over (like Mitt Romney's sons) doesn't make it true. And by the same token how people can declare "the recruiting is better" based on the flawed star system without seeing the talent on the field is, at best, a little premature.

Reaction Score
240px-Gil_Thorp_2011-10-17.gif
Also, did you guys ever stop and think that maybe, just maybe, the coaching staff didn't want to pummel the AD's last school and they purposely put on the breaks so that a lot of folks behind the scenes could save face? And for that you want to get rid of these guys? Maybe the truth is this staff has more class than a lot of you deserve.

It definitely makes sense that the state that gave the high school football world the 'Jack Cochran' 50-point rule would continue to innovate and lead the charge to give big-boy NCAA football the 'George DeLeone' 17-point rule.

I'd like to welcome Gil Thorp to this little self-created unofficial group of whiny, bitchy 'bloggers'.

Reaction Score
So, I guess a bunch of Coach P's relatives must post here now too.

Reaction Score
It must be mid-week. . . HCPP is getting the sympathy vote - "Can't fire him after only a year and a half", etc, etc. By 3 p.m. on Saturday, the tone may change back to what it was at 3 p.m. last Saturday. The longer HCPP stays at UConn the more damage that will be caused to the program . . . just saying. It was NOT a good hire.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Have you guys ever stopped to think that just maybe it's the talent that needs to catch up to the coaching and not the other way around?

Yes and I dismissed the thought as ridiculous. If this program had just a small hint of forward progress after a year and a half you might have a valid point. Instead it's taking on water.

Reaction Score
Yes and I dismissed the thought as ridiculous. If this program had just a small hint of forward progress after a year and a half you might have a valid point. Instead it's taking on water.
There was once a day when SEC football programs used to be lowly... Just saying.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Have you guys ever stopped to think that just maybe it's the talent that needs to catch up to the coaching and not the other way around? [/quote]

Not for a second. It's not about the Xs and Os. It's about the Jimmys and Joes.

As coaches, I would expect them to put their players in the best possible position to succeed. You can shave just so much off the corners of a square peg to fit into a round hole, but at the end of the day it still won't fit properly.

I liken it to the movie, We Are Marshall? Instead of making his undersized, under-talented team stand toe-to-toe with their opponents, he installed a Veer (Triple Option. Think: Eric Crouch era Nebraska) to help minimize mismatches.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't think UConn should have revamped their entire offense in either the spring of 2011, or 2012. I do think the coaches' schemes (especially in college) should be flexible enough to take advantage of their teams' abilities in any givien year.

Reaction Score
It must be mid-week. . . HCPP is getting the sympathy vote - "Can't fire him after only a year and a half", etc, etc. By 3 p.m. on Saturday, the tone may change back to what it was at 3 p.m. last Saturday. The longer HCPP stays at UConn the more damage that will be caused to the program . . . just saying. It was NOT a good hire.

No, you can't fire him after a year and a half. You may not be able to fire him at the end of the year. He may qualify for three years. But the writing looks to be on the wall. Depending on the record, he probably gets a third year. At 5-7 he probably gets one more bite at the apple. At 4-8, I don't know. Susan Herbst does not look like a patient person to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom