PP is not playing around on the recruit trail! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PP is not playing around on the recruit trail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hate to make references to previous UConn coaching administration (I'd put this on an Edsall sub-board there was one) but don't think it's fair to say it "burned bridges" with instate contacts. IMO RE got stiffed by a lot of the old boy CT HS coaching frat early on for whatever reason (jealousy, feeling their best players were 'too good' for UConn). When UConn did finally complete move to I-A RE wasn't the bigger man and held grudge against the coaches who big-timed him. If bridges were burned both sides lit the match. PP got 40 percent of state BCS recruits, which is an improvement. Now would like to see HS coaches produce more than five of those a year.

Reaction Score
I know it's a bit off topic, but after the Louisville game if I were coach PP I would have immediately sat down with SOS and had a very long talk.

I have watched a lot of college football over the years, and I have never seen a set of receivers perform like that throughout the course of an entire game. By the end of the game I had completely gone past angry into a place of total bewilderment.

Reaction Score
Yeah he is the recruiting coordinator...he also has a recruiting area he is responsible for like the rest of the Asst's. He has extra duties as the recruiting coordinator.
I agree with what you are saying...I was just pointing to the list of recruits that was posted to reinforce that he needs to go all the way around. You see that a lot...a guy is a GREAT recruiter but an average to slightly below average position coach. His assets as a recruiter far outweigh his deficiencies as a coach and he is around for a LONG time. In Matt Cersosimo's case I think you can easily show that his deficiences in all areas of his job (coaching, recruiting coordinator, recruiter) are enough that he should have been shown the door when Edsall left!

Reaction Score
Here is a good description of a Recruiting Coordinators duties from an article on Recruiting-101.com. They interview the Recruiting Coordinator from FSU.
http://recruiting-101.com/football-...their-relationship-in-the-recruiting-process/

I have to say this...when Edsall hired Matt back in 2007 I was excited. I figured he would be the guy to start to reel in the CT kids...ESPECIALLY with his dad still in the coaching ranks. By the time Edsall left I had seen enough between the on field performance and lack of developement of the wr's, and his job as a recruiter. Then I happened to read the article I linked above about being a Recruiting Coordinator; now I truely believe he has to go!

Reaction Score
Hate to make references to previous UConn coaching administration (I'd put this on an Edsall sub-board there was one) but don't think it's fair to say it "burned bridges" with instate contacts. IMO RE got stiffed by a lot of the old boy CT HS coaching frat early on for whatever reason (jealousy, feeling their best players were 'too good' for UConn). When UConn did finally complete move to I-A RE wasn't the bigger man and held grudge against the coaches who big-timed him. If bridges were burned both sides lit the match. PP got 40 percent of state BCS recruits, which is an improvement. Now would like to see HS coaches produce more than five of those a year.
I agree Ruskin...I don't think Rob Ambrose helped Edsall one bit when he blew off Sean Marinnan of Xavier when he asked him to take a look at some tape of Amari Spievey either.
One thing I have always wondered about Edsall and the CT hs coaches is this...he was db coach at Cuse when P was lb coach. When P got the Cuse job Edsall left for BC....I don't think there was a lot of love lost between the 2 of them...that good old boy network you mentioned shunning Edsall LOVES P..and all of the sudden that network is supporting P for the UConn job?

Reaction Score
Dan my problem with the CT hs recruiting issue is that the Asst that could/should be able to bring these kids home is going on his 7th season here and hasn't produced much if anything at all.

I found the following "blind" ad. It's an SEC school, for sure. I don't know if the "title" at UCONN is similar, although many of the duties seem generic.

"1. Identify prospects through all sources available (coaches, services, and Internet); 2. Maintain, coordinate and update video library a. Contact coaches to obtain film; b. Utilize video from Services; c. Obtain video from the internet. 3. Create highlight videos of all recruits in XOS system; 4. Recruiting Website a. Keep updated information on site; b. Obtain up to date highlights from the web. 5. Assist with summer camps (organize one-day visits and camp); 6. Maintain/update recruiting books (general and individual); 7. Design, produce and coordinate weekly recruiting mailings a. Top players from recruiting coach, head coach and position coach; b. Monthly letters to parents; c. Generic mailing to junior recruits; d. Mass camp mailings. 8. Weekly e-mails to all prospects from head coach, recruiting coach, position coach; a. In-season – congrats on last game, mid-week motivation, good luck on next game; b. Off-season – links, camp updates, motivational, campus info. 9. Monitor chat lines for all info; 10. Weekly recruit update of previous game info; 11. Liaison with Recruiting Radar; 12. Other duties assigned by head coach."

My question is: Does the UCONN position require require territorial responsibility? As a follow-up, when would the person have time?

Reaction Score
Cersosimo definitely has a recruiting territory...I have seen his name mentioned in the past by recruits in Scout and Rivals articles mentioning prospects. I am going to assume his territory isn't as big as the others because of his other duties.

I found the following "blind" ad. It's an SEC school, for sure. I don't know if the "title" at UCONN is similar, although many of the duties seem generic.

"1. Identify prospects through all sources available (coaches, services, and Internet); 2. Maintain, coordinate and update video library a. Contact coaches to obtain film; b. Utilize video from Services; c. Obtain video from the internet. 3. Create highlight videos of all recruits in XOS system; 4. Recruiting Website a. Keep updated information on site; b. Obtain up to date highlights from the web. 5. Assist with summer camps (organize one-day visits and camp); 6. Maintain/update recruiting books (general and individual); 7. Design, produce and coordinate weekly recruiting mailings a. Top players from recruiting coach, head coach and position coach; b. Monthly letters to parents; c. Generic mailing to junior recruits; d. Mass camp mailings. 8. Weekly e-mails to all prospects from head coach, recruiting coach, position coach; a. In-season – congrats on last game, mid-week motivation, good luck on next game; b. Off-season – links, camp updates, motivational, campus info. 9. Monitor chat lines for all info; 10. Weekly recruit update of previous game info; 11. Liaison with Recruiting Radar; 12. Other duties assigned by head coach."

My question is: Does the UCONN position require require territorial responsibility? As a follow-up, when would the person have time?

Reaction Score
Here is the break down of that list not counting 2012 kids.
Kamal Abrams- work in progress...developement tied directly to Cersosimo's coaching ability
Tebucky Jones Jr- See above
Byron Jones-I will give Cersosimo this one
Greg McKee-Won't even go there...arrested again this past wk...Cersosimo gets a pass here
David Kenny-GREAT athlete...good specials player...too small to see field at lb
Jerome Williams-Transferred
Arron Bagsby-Transferred
Marcus Campbell-I will score that a win for Cersosimo...although didn't complete 4 seasons
CJ Marck-Transferred

So out of the 9 kids Cersosimo is credited for on Rivals not counting Norris 3 have Transferred, 1 never played a game because of serious legal trouble, 1 is a starter on D, 1 although a good special teams player will most likely never see the field as a lb because of his size, 1 was a productive d starter who had his career derailed by injuries and grades, and 2 are directly tied to his coaching abilities. As an asst coach/recruiting coordinator fir a NCS level football team...this recruiting record is flat out horrible!

I think you need to change Bagsby to a success. He played a LOT here and only transferred when he was a RS senior.

Reaction Score
I think you need to change Bagsby to a success. He played a LOT here and only transferred when he was a RS senior.
Ok...I'll give you that one...still really doesn't change anything. If you want to say that about Bagsby you can say the same about Jerome Williams. Bottom line...They still transfered before they used up their eligibility.

Reaction Score
Kamal Abrams- work in progress...developement tied directly to Cersosimo's coaching ability
Greg McKee-Won't even go there...arrested again this past wk...Cersosimo gets a pass here
Arron Bagsby-Transferred
Marcus Campbell-I will score that a win for Cersosimo...although didn't complete 4 seasons
CJ Marck-Transferred

So out of the 9 kids Cersosimo is credited for on Rivals not counting Norris 3 have Transferred, 1 never played a game because of serious legal trouble, 1 is a starter on D, 1 although a good special teams player will most likely never see the field as a lb because of his size, 1 was a productive d starter who had his career derailed by injuries and grades, and 2 are directly tied to his coaching abilities. As an asst coach/recruiting coordinator fir a NCS level football team...this recruiting record is flat out horrible!

Since 2007 here are the numbers recruits that went to BCS schools followed by the number we signed.
2007- 7 kids signed with BCS schools 1 with UConn (Marcus Campbell)
2008- 9 kids signed with BCS schools 1 with UConn (Eric Kuraczea...transferred)
(I'm not going to count Sio Moore since he was recruited out of Apex HS in Apex NC)
2009- 11 kids signed with BCS schools 3 with UConn (Trevardo Williams, Mike Osiecki, and Marcus Aiken who has since transferred)
2010- 10 kids signed with BCS schools 2 with UConn (Byron Jones, Tebucky Jones Jr.)
2011- 7 kids signed with BCS schools 2 with UConn (Max DeLorenzo, Sean McQuillian)
(I got the above info from what has been posted here by HuskyDan)
I didn't include 2012 because without DeLeone we don't get those 2 kids.
Cersosimo...with the ties he should have to CT high school football because of what I mentioned in one if my above posts...should do a LOT better than getting 3 kids from Ct (Marcus Campbell, Byron Jones, Tebucky Jones Jr.) out of 44.
I think this can show that Cersosimo's ability to recruit may actually be worse than the coaching job he has done with the wr's...or at least as bad!

We averaged 22 recruits per class since 2007 MC has been at nearly 1.67 per season or 8% of the number of recriuts we bring in, hardly failure here. we're not getting all the kids in CT, nor would I personally want them. I feel good about the ones we do get, but I also know that kids that come from a more competitive HS football regions will in turn help us WIN. BTW if I exclude 2012 as well those numbers go up 2.44 per year and 11%.He is responsible for a region, not CT solely, he just has to set them up, coaches P and D need to knock them down. Of the 44 you list how many would you have actually wanted to land? half? more/less?

If no one is listed as a recuiter for a recruit anywhere how does one assume he was or wasn't involved? I think the recruits he has brought in have contributed to the team development, are there misses, yeah, and only people looking in the hindsight crystal ball would have seen it. In comparison how has the receiving corps performed since it was his position to coach? I agree he should be moved but not because of his recruiting efforts.

Don't ignore the significance that some of the "transfers" you list had while here, for instance;
Bagsby played significantly for 3 seasons here, and by all accounts was forced out of his final year
Jerome Williams played well for us and was expected to compete for a starting spot this past season but had injury issue set him back, with the over recruiting his PT will be impacted and decided to transfer, can hardly be considered a failure

Sportart - if you want to go back and read (noticed you use that in other threads, so...) you will notice that I said the list was only of the recruits that committed, I did this because I'm not gonna sit and cry over the ones that didn't come, or ponder about the unknown ones, I realize the list is hardly complete. I want to know; of the ones that we know of that coach Sos was involved with, are they contributing to the team in a meaningful way?

Reaction Score
Ok...I'll give you that one...still really doesn't change anything. If you want to say that about Bagsby you can say the same about Jerome Williams. Bottom line...They still transfered before they used up their eligibility.
But you have to factor in why they transferred, it wasn't like the Kurezca or Endres who burned every chance they were given.

Reaction Score
Jerry because he is the recruiting coordinator he basically runs the recruiting show. Did you check the link I put up? I would take 2/3's of the CT kids that went elsewhere. I am no dummy...I know it is imperstive we recruit NJ, PA, GA, and south FLA for us to be competitive. You bring up relationships...how can a guy like P close on a relationship if it isn't there to close on. I know some of those transfers played some quality minutes for us...I can also tell you Bagsby made Jerome Junior look like an All-American with his tackling and defensive reads. Williams got a raw deal with the injury bug. A few dynamic staff hires can change around recruiting in a second...just look at Rutgers when Schiano hired Hafley and Cignetti. I just don't think Cersosimo is a dynamic recruiter. I think he is avg at best...add that to being a poor position and it is time for him to be sent on his way. I also think Perkins was a poor replacement for Lakatos.
We can agree to disagree on Cersosimo as a recruiter. I think his job as wr coach is enough to see him sent packing. One thing I do know is this...we have a new AD on the way. An AD who has ZERO ties to P or ANY of this staff, who has been charged with over seeing successful flagship athletic programs. If P decides to live or die with this staff as is...and we don't win 8+ games in the next 2-3 years...it really won't make a difference because they will all be gone...just like should have happened when P got hired.

We averaged 22 recruits per class since 2007 MC has been at nearly 1.67 per season or 8% of the number of recriuts we bring in, hardly failure here. we're not getting all the kids in CT, nor would I personally want them. I feel good about the ones we do get, but I also know that kids that come from a more competitive HS football regions will in turn help us WIN. BTW if I exclude 2012 as well those numbers go up 2.44 per year and 11%.He is responsible for a region, not CT solely, he just has to set them up, coaches P and D need to knock them down. Of the 44 you list how many would you have actually wanted to land? half? more/less?

If no one is listed as a recuiter for a recruit anywhere how does one assume he was or wasn't involved? I think the recruits he has brought in have contributed to the team development, are there misses, yeah, and only people looking in the hindsight crystal ball would have seen it. In comparison how has the receiving corps performed since it was his position to coach? I agree he should be moved but not because of his recruiting efforts.

Don't ignore the significance that some of the "transfers" you list had while here, for instance;
Bagsby played significantly for 3 seasons here, and by all accounts was forced out of his final year
Jerome Williams played well for us and was expected to compete for a starting spot this past season but had injury issue set him back, with the over recruiting his PT will be impacted and decided to transfer, can hardly be considered a failure

Sportart - if you want to go back and read (noticed you use that in other threads, so...) you will notice that I said the list was only of the recruits that committed, I did this because I'm not gonna sit and cry over the ones that didn't come, or ponder about the unknown ones, I realize the list is hardly complete. I want to know; of the ones that we know of that coach Sos was involved with, are they contributing to the team in a meaningful way?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

take that and send it to susan and tell her its important. she will take care of the rest.:D

Reaction Score
Arron Bagsby-Transferred
CJ Marck-Transferred

Since 2007 here are the numbers recruits that went to BCS schools followed by the number we signed.
2007- 7 kids signed with BCS schools 1 with UConn (Marcus Campbell)
2008- 9 kids signed with BCS schools 1 with UConn (Eric Kuraczea...transferred)
(I'm not going to count Sio Moore since he was recruited out of Apex HS in Apex NC)
2009- 11 kids signed with BCS schools 3 with UConn (Trevardo Williams, Mike Osiecki, and Marcus Aiken who has since transferred)
2010- 10 kids signed with BCS schools 2 with UConn (Byron Jones, Tebucky Jones Jr.)
2011- 7 kids signed with BCS schools 2 with UConn (Max DeLorenzo, Sean McQuillian)
(I got the above info from what has been posted here by HuskyDan)
I didn't include 2012 because without DeLeone we don't get those 2 kids.
Cersosimo...with the ties he should have to CT high school football because of what I mentioned in one if my above posts...should do a LOT better than getting 3 kids from Ct (Marcus Campbell, Byron Jones, Tebucky Jones Jr.) out of 44.
I think this can show that Cersosimo's ability to recruit may actually be worse than the coaching job he has done with the wr's...or at least as bad!

The rivals data is not exactly accurate. Coach SOS's recruiting area is South Jersey. He was Kash's primary recruiter as well as Scott Schultz. I've never even met Coach Lakatos. There's a possiblity that one of SOS's WRs may get drafted in this draft. That would be 2 of his WRs drafted in the last 3 drafts. He's doing something right.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The rivals data is not exactly accurate. Coach SOS's recruiting area is South Jersey. He was Kash's primary recruiter as well as Scott Schultz. I've never even met Coach Lakatos. There's a possiblity that one of SOS's WRs may get drafted in this draft. That would be 2 of his WRs drafted in the last 3 drafts. He's doing something right.
Thanks for posting. What was your opinion of him as a recruiter? Obviously he must have done something right to get Kash on board.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. What was your opinion of him as a recruiter? Obviously he must have done something right to get Kash on board.

Mets1090,
Coach SOS made an immediate impression on Kash. UConn came in late in the recruiting process. Kash was already being recruited by Coach Bradley at Penn St, Coach Susan at Rutgers and Coach Deleone at Temple. Coach SOS did a hell of a job convincing Kash that UConn needed him to help build something special at UConn and that Kash was a priority for UConn and not just a back up plan. The other schools were asking Kash to wait and see what happens with the 5 and 4 star WRs they were waiting on. UConn's pitch in 2007, from Coach SOS and Edsall was that Kash could play a roll in helping UConn win Big East championships during his eligibility.
That vision and those goals were accomplished.

Reaction Score
Mets1090,
Coach SOS made an immediate impression on Kash. UConn came in late in the recruiting process. Kash was already being recruited by Coach Bradley at Penn St, Coach Susan at Rutgers and Coach Deleone at Temple. Coach SOS did a hell of a job convincing Kash that UConn needed him to help build something special at UConn and that Kash was a priority for UConn and not just a back up plan. The other schools were asking Kash to wait and see what happens with the 5 and 4 star WRs they were waiting on. UConn's pitch in 2007, from Coach SOS and Edsall was that Kash could play a roll in helping UConn win Big East championships during his eligibility.
That vision and those goals were accomplished.
Thanks for sharing that info Rock. Your son is a class act! Looking forward to seeing him play on Sundays next year.

Reaction Score
Always a breath of fresh air when you post Mr. Moore. Actual knowledge of the situation is so appreciated when hearing all the speculation about what may have occurred! Thanks for that.
I don't know whether we have the right people in place to land the type of players we want to recruit. However, it will continue to be an uphill struggle to recruit top level players against perrenial top programs. That's what makes what Rutgers is doing very special. They are keeping top in-state kids home and winning some of those battles. I've always felt that I didn't care if our players came from CT or Florida - as long as we got the best players we could get. However, it is special to have top level in-state players play in their home state.
I think the Coach is well aware of the talent level he wants and needs to advance our status as a program. So is Madame President. It's possible that there will be changes in some of the assistants once the new AD is in place and I've sure Coach will likely be involved in deciding where we can improve the staff. We have a lot to overcome. Lack of FB tradition, conference issues, style of play, overall fan support and economic support, etc.
Hopefully, the style and attractiveness of play will be the first thing that turns around and that winning a very high % of our games results. If the conference issues can then be feasibly addressed to our advantage that would be another huge step forward in being able to recruit well. A greatly improved BE contract would certainly help the conference, but how about our success vs. other conf teams? Several years of sustained success in this conference or a move to another more stable conference would also tend to strengthen our hand in recruiting. With the disadvantages we have going for us, players have to find a reason to come here not available in other places that are more high profile. Playing time, specific position they want to play, and the chance to achieve individual and team honors might be some of those things. I noticed that Malik Golden chose PSU even though he was recruited as a DB rather than a WR. In the future, hopefully we can keep that level of player here even though the RENT doesn't compare with Happy Valley.
Coach will need time to begin to really ratchet up our recruiting level. It will likely be incremental improvement rather than huge jumps. I'm not sure that we really need any huge jumps to compete here, because last year we were a big time QB away from being a very solid team. If we have found that player in our recruits, I think we will see a greatly improved offense result from that. Recruits want to go to teams that play exciting, attractive football and WIN. Sorry for the long-winded rant. I want us to be big-time in every way but it is so hard to be patient and wait for that to occur. Last year's offense was painful to watch at times and was not the "explosive" offense we were told was planned. Recruiting well means getting the players most needed to address your short and long term needs as a program. I hope we are well on the way in the short term and that long term will begin to be addressed this year.

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing that info Rock. Your son is a class act! Looking forward to seeing him play on Sundays next year.

So maybe you can scale back the vitriol on Sos, FDNY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom