PP is not playing around on the recruit trail! | The Boneyard

PP is not playing around on the recruit trail!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
we have a offered 2014 S from VA. yea thats right not 2013, but 2014

Quin Blanding-6'1, 190. he has several bcs offers already and is a UVA lean. UVA for those who don't know has turned things around very quick. they are keeping the best kids home and away from VT, doing a great job down there in a recruit filled area. It will be tough to get home growns out of VA in the future. UVA is one of those schools(md/unc among others) i would love for UConn to be with in some type of conf. prob is they play in the acc with duke/bc/cuse/pitt/wake/miami:D.

i will be coming out soon with my 2013 offers list and kids to watch...stay tuned

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
The results weren't quite there this year, but I am really liking the recruiting plan that I am seeing. We are definitely trying to get in early, and be in with a higher caliber of athlete.

Reaction Score
The results weren't quite there this year.

I don't want to start another recruiting debate, so I will politely say that I believe time will prove you and the very biased ranking system wrong.

Reaction Score
i think this was a pretty darn good recruiting year for us.
PP had a couple things working against him:
1. he didnt have the extra time last year to start looking at the 2012 kids. he was still in the NFL
2. we didnt have a great year on the field in 2011

despite these, i think he did a great job of upgrading size & speed in the class. and he filled the holes that needed filling (in some cases like QB, over-filled...which is great).

only time will tell, but i think were gonna like this class in a couple years.

Reaction Score
There's a 2014 RB right down the road in Ansonia we should offer TODAY!!!!

Reaction Score
Why not shoot for 2015 Tell the kids we will be playing Navy by then.

Reaction Score
We have to be fair to the new coaching staff as far as recruiting goes. It takes time to build relationships, and it looks like COach P and the staff are doing just that. It is really helped with previous relationships from his time at Syracuse. We got a couple kids from schools that continually churn out BCS players. That is a very good thing.

Reaction Score
what makes me laugh is the self-important CT HS coaches who made such a big deal about 'endorsing' Pasqualoni for job produced FIVE BCS recruits this year. Give PP credit, he got 2 of them, including the Gatorade POY. And PP seems to have recruited elsewhere OK. . . . Our local 'legends' need to do a little less endorsing and a little more coaching

Reaction Score
We have to be fair to the new coaching staff as far as recruiting goes. It takes time to build relationships, and it looks like COach P and the staff are doing just that. It is really helped with previous relationships from his time at Syracuse. We got a couple kids from schools that continually churn out BCS players. That is a very good thing.

I will cut P, DeLeone, Brown and White slack...BUT the rest of them no slack what so ever! Our future recruiting success depends on the relationships that these guys build with the recruits . Relationships that P can close on to bring these kids in to the program. For us to make that leap recruiting wise P may have to make some staff changes plain and simple.

Reaction Score
I will cut P, DeLeone, Brown and White slack...BUT the rest of them no slack what so ever! Our future recruiting success depends on the relationships that these guys build with the recruits . Relationships that P can close on to bring these kids in to the program. For us to make that leap recruiting wise P may have to make some staff changes plain and simple.

Add 1 large dose of reality. Splash on liberally..

Reaction Score
what makes me laugh is the self-important CT HS coaches who made such a big deal about 'endorsing' Pasqualoni for job produced FIVE BCS recruits this year. Give PP credit, he got 2 of them, including the Gatorade POY. And PP seems to have recruited elsewhere OK. . . . Our local 'legends' need to do a little less endorsing and a little more coaching

What is even funnier is that our recruiting coordinator/wr coach Matt Cersosimo is the grandson of a famous CT hs football coach and the son of a long time respected CT HS coach who played his hs ball in CT. He should be our lead CT recruiter or share CT with John Wholley who also played his hs ball in CT. We should have an in with Cersosimo's homegrown connections. But fact of the matter is P and DeLeone landed those 2 CT kids. That I find EXTREMELY LAUGHABLE!!!!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i'm not saying it was a great year in ct for uconn, but it wasn't a bad one either. it WAS a bad year for ct kids going bcs overall but not for what uconn could manage. next year will have 10ish ct kids going bcs. atleast 6 already have bcs offers. how many kids with b10 offers from ct prep schools did we ever get before? in both cases we were in the final decision, thats making stides imho.
why i say it wasn't a bad year?

casey/rennick-both going to uconn. they both goto PUBLIC schools in ct. dobbs(ansonia-milford) would have been a 3rd to add to this list. casey hadd a iowa and bc offer and was ct poy for haterade, thats a quality in state recruit. rennick had a temple offer and threw our bcs letters in the mail. thats a good recruit.

golden/smith were both prep school kids. those coaches i don't think were part of the group. the public schools ARE on board with PP and uconn these days, just give it some time. what you will see now is the private schools who play in public leagues also sway in uconn favor(xavier, fairfield prep etc)....those schools over the years have sent kids everywhere else, its time we start raking kids in. i think were looking at 4-6 public kids going bcs next year. right now 1 is a soft bc commit(family up there/some type of connection-thats not something u can beat most times). lets see what happens with him and the others...and btw, we have offered 3 of those 6 kids with bcs offers as of right now also. the next 2 years in a row i think there will be atleast 1 4* recruit in a public school, lets see how we do with those kids.

Reaction Score
Dan my problem with the CT hs recruiting issue is that the Asst that could/should be able to bring these kids home is going on his 7th season here and hasn't produced much if anything at all.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i hear you on that and i do think some changes need to be made. im just not so sure how much pull he has in the final stage. he may have got kids attention but RE may have turned kids right back off. now he may do the same but PP closes on kids instead of buring bridges. lets see what happens next year at xavier and hyde among others. if we don't go 75% on publics and 50%(ballpark %'s) on preps then i think its def time for a change in ct recruiting for the staff. fwiw this year we went 3 for 3 on verbal commits on bcs kids to uconn from public schools(2 of them made it here). so something changed this year with the same guy recruiting ct this year, no?

Reaction Score
Yeah DeLeon recruits CT....I'm not even sure what area Cersosimo is responsible for. P better be very careful with when he pulls trigger with changing this staff. His next boss has no ties to him an a directive from Pres Herbst to run an athletic dept with successful major sports programs. Either way the guys like Cersosimoo that need to go will not be around.

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but don't the assistant coaches do most of the initial relationship building and then the HC comes in during the last 12 months or so to close the deal, especially the blue chippers? We had most of our old coaches stick around when PP came.

I don't see to recall recruits for any teams talking about how the HC was the guy they bonded with first.

PP already had the coaching contacts. So...

Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure you will, but don't the assistant coaches do most of the initial relationship building and then the HC comes in during the last 12 months or so to close the deal, especially the blue chippers? We had most of our old coaches stick around when PP came.

I don't see to recall recruits for any teams talking about how the HC was the guy they bonded with first.

PP already had the coaching contacts. So...

Exactly what I have been saying Sportstart...if we want to improve our recruiting it is time to make some changes in the staff P kept when he took the job.
I did a search of a recruiting coordinator's job description not too long ago. Here is what I found: A recruiting coordinator is reaponsible for assigning recruiting territories to the Asst coaches and is responsible for compiling and maintaining the big board of potential recruits, scheduling recruiting visits, coordinating the overall recruiting effort in addition to his own recruiting duties.
Think it is time for a new recruiting coordinator?

Reaction Score
Exactly what I have been saying Sportstart...if we want to improve our recruiting it is time to make some changes in the staff P kept when he took the job.
I did a search of a recruiting coordinator's job description not too long ago. Here is what I found: A recruiting coordinator is reaponsible for assigning recruiting territories to the Asst coaches and is responsible for compiling and maintaining the big board of potential recruits, scheduling recruiting visits, coordinating the overall recruiting effort in addition to his own recruiting duties.
Think it is time for a new recruiting coordinator?

I agree with you but my point was directed at those who said PP needed more time to build relationships with recruits.

I agree we need coaches who can recruit better.

Reaction Score
Rivals has Cersosimo credited for;
(this is only the commits back to 2007 given that was his first year recruiting for us)
  • Elijah Norris - 2012
  • Kamal Abrams - 2011
  • Byron Jones - 2010
  • Tebuckey Jones - 2010
  • Greg McKee - 2010
  • David Kenney - 2009
  • Jerome Williams - 2008
  • Arron Bagsby - 2007
  • Marcus Campbell - 2007
  • CJ Marck - 2007
Just saying, I would definitely be more concerned with the performance of his players at the position he coaches than his ability to recruit, one is clearly ahead of the other!

Reaction Score
BS. he's been out of it for years. no way that picks right back up immediately.

PP said..."We have the ball to start the 2nd half"......I guess you're right

Look...PP has a pretty good class coming in...I think better than what we've had. The bottom line is it would take an Urban Meyer or Schiano to land the big time players at the end of the year. Randy was chastized for not closing the deal for these type players.

While PP may close a few in the future UConn is probably not going to be a destination for the "elite"

I do think PP is going to do a much better job than RE did in recruiting. Let's see how he coaches them up. Hope he hasn't lost that, being away for so long. (grin)

Reaction Score
Rivals has Cersosimo credited for;
(this is only the commits back to 2007 given that was his first year recruiting for us)
  • Elijah Norris - 2012
  • Kamal Abrams - 2011
  • Byron Jones - 2010
  • Tebuckey Jones - 2010
  • Greg McKee - 2010
  • David Kenney - 2009
  • Jerome Williams - 2008
  • Arron Bagsby - 2007
  • Marcus Campbell - 2007
  • CJ Marck - 2007
Just saying, I would definitely be more concerned with the performance of his players at the position he coaches than his ability to recruit, one is clearly ahead of the other!

Here is the break down of that list not counting 2012 kids.
Kamal Abrams- work in progress...developement tied directly to Cersosimo's coaching ability
Tebucky Jones Jr- See above
Byron Jones-I will give Cersosimo this one
Greg McKee-Won't even go there...arrested again this past wk...Cersosimo gets a pass here
David Kenny-GREAT athlete...good specials player...too small to see field at lb
Jerome Williams-Transferred
Arron Bagsby-Transferred
Marcus Campbell-I will score that a win for Cersosimo...although didn't complete 4 seasons
CJ Marck-Transferred

So out of the 9 kids Cersosimo is credited for on Rivals not counting Norris 3 have Transferred, 1 never played a game because of serious legal trouble, 1 is a starter on D, 1 although a good special teams player will most likely never see the field as a lb because of his size, 1 was a productive d starter who had his career derailed by injuries and grades, and 2 are directly tied to his coaching abilities. As an asst coach/recruiting coordinator fir a NCS level football team...this recruiting record is flat out horrible!

Since 2007 here are the numbers recruits that went to BCS schools followed by the number we signed.
2007- 7 kids signed with BCS schools 1 with UConn (Marcus Campbell)
2008- 9 kids signed with BCS schools 1 with UConn (Eric Kuraczea...transferred)
(I'm not going to count Sio Moore since he was recruited out of Apex HS in Apex NC)
2009- 11 kids signed with BCS schools 3 with UConn (Trevardo Williams, Mike Osiecki, and Marcus Aiken who has since transferred)
2010- 10 kids signed with BCS schools 2 with UConn (Byron Jones, Tebucky Jones Jr.)
2011- 7 kids signed with BCS schools 2 with UConn (Max DeLorenzo, Sean McQuillian)
(I got the above info from what has been posted here by HuskyDan)
I didn't include 2012 because without DeLeone we don't get those 2 kids.
Cersosimo...with the ties he should have to CT high school football because of what I mentioned in one if my above posts...should do a LOT better than getting 3 kids from Ct (Marcus Campbell, Byron Jones, Tebucky Jones Jr.) out of 44.
I think this can show that Cersosimo's ability to recruit may actually be worse than the coaching job he has done with the wr's...or at least as bad!

Reaction Score
Do you guys really think Rivals has a list of every player SOS ever recruited? Really...?

While I'm sure because of his other duties he recruited less than others I find it hard to believe recruiting sites have a full list.

Reaction Score
Do you guys really think Rivals has a list of every player SOS ever recruited? Really...?

While I'm sure because of his other duties he recruited less than others I find it hard to believe recruiting sites have a full list.
They only list the asst recruiting the player when the player tells them. I was just going through the list of players he put up. I do know he was lead recruiter for Quanzell Lambert the lb who signed with Rutgers.
As far as recruiting duties...he has an assigned recruiting area just like the rest of the Asst.

Reaction Score
They only list the asst recruiting the player when the player tells them. I was just going through the list of players he put up. I do know he was lead recruiter for Quanzell Lambert the lb who signed with Rutgers.
As far as recruiting duties...he has an assigned recruiting area just like the rest of the Asst.

I thought SOS is the recruiting cooridinator....

I've seen many UConn recruits that have no recruiter listed, even after committing. I get that all we have to go by is the recruiting sites...but c'mon...some kids don't even realize they don't have an offer from a school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom