Potential postgrad transfer watch 2017/18 v2.0 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Potential postgrad transfer watch 2017/18 v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Waste of time. This team doesn't need a graduate transfer.

There's already too much 'new' on the team - with the injured players and current recruits, we're already bringing in at least six new players next year. That's going to be chaotic enough.
Sorry Fish but on this one you're all wet!!
I would take the Russian kid from Rice - his stats are crazy good
Him and Larrier as bookends

Reaction Score
I think this is right. With the typically front-loaded schedule the pressure's already going to be on Ollie to have a whole group of new guys ready to go. Didn't play out all that well this season.
I don't agree with not bringing in a grad transfer, I think we should. But agree that there will be pressure to get off to a fast start next year. But there's one major difference going into this year vs next year. We're not losing our best player and that'll help a ton early on

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't agree with not bringing in a grad transfer, I think we should. But agree that there will be pressure to get off to a fast start next year. But there's one major difference going into this year vs next year. We're not losing our best player and that'll help a ton early on
We lose the top three rebounders however.

Reaction Score
We lose the top three rebounders however.
Fair point, which is why I want a grad transfer big. Just my opinion, but it's a lot easier to try and integrate someone like that in and have them pick up the slack in rebounding compared to trying to find someone to take over the primary scoring role like this season

Reaction Score
Durham seems like a really nice classy respectful young man and I like him.

However, what has he shown us that leads anyone to think that he can be a real contributor and impact player for us next season?

He is very thin, seems physically weak and gets pushed around. I'm not convinced he can handle the big time college game from a physical perspective. I am not counting on much from him and am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score

However, what has he shown us that leads anyone to think that he can be a real contributor and impact player for us next season?

He is very thin, seems physically weak and gets pushed around. I'm not convinced he can handle the big time college game from a physical perspective. I am not counting on much from him and am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
Cut the kid some slack. He's coming off 2 acl tears, I expect improvement next year but am not at all surprised with the hesitation or lack of muscle.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Mobley with 23 points/7 rebs last night in a 20-point win over St. Louis. 6/13 from 3.

Reaction Score
Mobley with 23 points/7 rebs last night in a 20-point win over St. Louis. 6/13 from 3.
They got Jaylen Adams back, who is great in his own right. Definitely relieved some pressure from Mobley. I haven't watched the Bonnie's lately, but I'm sure Mobley has played a lot of hero ball.

Reaction Score
As previously mentioned, UConn needs to start fast, which has been a problem recently. Thanks to the AAC, they have more opportunities for bad losses than good wins in league play. Unfortunately, all the opportunities for good wins come in November and December, so they can't take their time jelling as a team. Too many new faces make that early cohesion less likely.
However, we are witnessing first hand the dangers of not using all of the allotted scholarships - usually teams lose scholarships as a penalty, they don't give them up voluntarily. The grad transfers offer the ability to fill the roster without locking up a spot for several years, so from that aspect it's better than giving the last two scholarships to marginal recruits, which is about all they can hope for at this point. All things considered, if they get transfers who can contribute, I would rather risk some early cohesion problems, as opposed to being worried about if the team will have enough players left to finish out the year.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

He has better touch than any big we've had in a long time. He's going to be nasty once he bulks a bit. I'm more worried about Enoch starting next year than Durham.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
He has better touch than any big we've had in a long time. He's going to be nasty once he bulks a bit. I'm more worried about Enoch starting next year than Durham.
My big hope is that sophomore year Durham can replicate senior year Facey. Enoch, however, worries me.

Reaction Score
We lost our one-and-done so I don't see why people are so opposed to getting one of these kids and especially if they will play in a spot that is a gaping hole for us in the foreseeable future. Did people not want to land Diallo because we had too many new faces?

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Found another...

Jalen Hayes, Oakland: 6-foot-8, 220 lb PF who redshirted his freshman year and is now a 4th year junior. He averaged 13/8.5/1 last season and is at 15/7/1 this year, with .7 blocks per game. on 55/44/72 shooting splits. Went for 18/5 against Northeastern, but he fouled out quick against the only two P5 teams Oakland played this year (12 mins vs. Sparty, 16 mins vs. Georgia). On the other hand, he went for 12/7/2 in a nice win over a very good Valpo team.

I don't think he's exactly what we need (that 44% 3-point shooting has come on very few attempts), but if it comes down to it I wouldn't hate kicking the tires.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Obinna Oleka, Arizona State: 6-foot-8, 230 lb PF who's averaging 13.5/10.5/1.2 on 45/25/70 shooting splits. Also averages .7 blocks and 1.2 steals per game. He's like Cassell in that he spent two years in JuCo but only played for one of them, and then enrolled as a junior in school but with 3 years of eligibility.

He may not transfer, but A) ASU are very bad, and B) they have 6 other big men between their freshman, sophomore and incoming classes. Wouldn't be horribly surprising if Hurley decided it was time to turn the program over to the kids, since the upperclassmen have not gotten it done this year.

Reaction Score
Obinna Oleka, Arizona State: 6-foot-8, 230 lb PF who's averaging 13.5/10.5/1.2 on 45/25/70 shooting splits. Also averages .7 blocks and 1.2 steals per game. He's like Cassell in that he spent two years in JuCo but only played for one of them, and then enrolled as a junior in school but with 3 years of eligibility.

He may not transfer, but A) ASU are very bad, and B) they have 6 other big men between their freshman, sophomore and incoming classes. Wouldn't be horribly surprising if Hurley decided it was time to turn the program over to the kids, since the upperclassmen have not gotten it done this year.

Saw him a little last night, tough kid who does make a difference physically and can score around the rim. Moves people in the lane too which I like, very noticeable and someone who would be a very nice fit. Doesn't block shots but who cares if they play man defense and get rebounds. Could play the 5 with is space eating size too no doubt.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Trevor Thompson, Ohio State: 7-foot, 240 lb C who's putting up 10.7/9.3/.5 with 1.8 blocks on 59/00/72 shooting splits. He plays about 23 minutes per night, and you may remember him from our game against tOSU from earlier this year. Spent his first year at Virginia Tech and has mostly been a starter the last two years in Columbus.

Will he transfer? I sincerely doubt it. But that team is going nowhere fast and there are 3 centers behind him -- one in each class -- including a big, 4-star recruit coming in.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Marin Maric, Northern Illinois: 6-foot-11, 250 lb C who's putting up 13.4/7.4/.8 and .8 blocks per game for a half-decent, 12-7 mid-major. He's from Croatia, and redshirted his freshman year after breaking his foot 5 games in. No injuries since then.

Kid will probably have offers to play professionally in Europe, and will certainly be welcome back to NIU next year if he wants to do a 5th year.

Reaction Score
Thompson would be ideal.

In my opinion, anybody who balks at the prospect of a grad transfer or two is mad. We're 8-11. We need to add more good basketball players. If the young kids are good enough, they'll earn their minutes. Complacency is the last thing we need, whether it be scrimmages during practice or guys fighting to stay on the court during games. Kids like Larrier who are immensely talented but indifferent to playing defense need to be pushed. I have no interest in seeing Enoch on the court next year at all unless he is significantly better and if Vital can't hit shots or Gilbert's size becomes a problem, they can sit, too. This isn't a charity and we'd be fools to turn down high quality players from quality leagues like the A-10 who would pants our current players if given the chance. Jalen's the only guy on this team you can pencil in for 35 minutes next year.

Reaction Score
Trevor Thompson, Ohio State: 7-foot, 240 lb C who's putting up 10.7/9.3/.5 with 1.8 blocks on 59/00/72 shooting splits. He plays about 23 minutes per night, and you may remember him from our game against tOSU from earlier this year. Spent his first year at Virginia Tech and has mostly been a starter the last two years in Columbus.

Will he transfer? I sincerely doubt it. But that team is going nowhere fast and there are 3 centers behind him -- one in each class -- including a big, 4-star recruit coming in.

Would love him for a year!

Reaction Score
If the staff can add a guy who can rebound and provide a little post scoring they should do so in a heart beat.

The staff is not stupid they will do what they can to make the team more competitive.

Frankly, anyone who wants to pass on an experienced big man because we already have enough "new" guys coming in is insane.

Reaction Score
Marin Maric, Northern Illinois: 6-foot-11, 250 lb C who's putting up 13.4/7.4/.8 and .8 blocks per game for a half-decent, 12-7 mid-major. He's from Croatia, and redshirted his freshman year after breaking his foot 5 games in. No injuries since then.

Kid will probably have offers to play professionally in Europe, and will certainly be welcome back to NIU next year if he wants to do a 5th year.
Grad transfers should be used to fill holes because the recruits we had penciled in are either falling short or left prematurely. It feels like our biggest hole is at the 5. This kid would fill that nicely. There are others listed here but, you know, our conference sucks so there is no way a kid would leave a P5 school for UConn, right? That is the narrative, correct?

This kid seems like a perfect fit but, for some reason, I doubt we will reach out to him.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

In a heartbeat.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I feel like we could use a grad transfer for next yr, but prob not the following yr, but maybe.

Thompson is EXACTLY what we need. A guy who doesn't demand the ball, but is capable if given the chance and is long but strong and a good area rebounder.

He would buy Durham another year of seasoning. He'd also make it possible for the freshman to not play that much unless they merit playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom