Potential Blockbuster trade....Sox-Dodgers?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Potential Blockbuster trade....Sox-Dodgers??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Only if you begin from the assumption that Red Sox management / ownership is incapable of dealing with anything but self-motivated saints on their roster. I think Mattingly and his staff are falling all over themselves with laughter at the idea of picking up Gonzalez and Beckett for this year and adding Crawford next year. The Dodgers improved quite a bit with this deal.

They aren't paying these guys out of your pocket, so stop crowing about bad contracts. The same people that GAVE THEM those bad contracts are still running things in Boston, so there is no reason to think they would suddenly learn how to spend money wisely now.
Only rody could portray this as a bad deal for the Sox. They were in 4th place with these guys and salaries, can't be much worse without them but now more able or likely to make new moves and even if it's the same dumb money/decision makers they aren't going to be wrong every time. If the Dodgers are laughing its a nervous laughter as they just pushed all of their chips into the middle of the table and at least two of their new 'cards' are jokers.

Reaction Score
Only rody could portray this as a bad deal for the Sox. They were in 4th place with these guys and salaries, can't be much worse without them but now more able or likely to make new moves and even if it's the same dumb money/decision makers they aren't going to be wrong every time. If the Dodgers are laughing its a nervous laughter as they just pushed all of their chips into the middle of the table and at least two of their new 'cards' are jokers.
Only in the fevered minds of Red Sox fans is "can't get any worse" the same as "better".

Gonzalez is one of the best hitters in baseball. Losing him will hurt. Period. Crawford is a helluva player. Unfortunate that he was bad in 2011 then hurt for another year.

Again, the assumption here is that the same people that signed these bad contracts have now seen the light and in the future will not sign contracts like they did with DiceK, Lackey, Crawford, Gonzalez, Drew, and Beckett's extension.

Reduced payroll is only a POTENTIAL gain. And when offset by actual losses, I guess you guys have to have something to feel good about.

Reaction Score
Oh and lets not ignore the incredible FUNG WAH here. This should end ANY future discussion about which team and which fan base throws their players under the bus more often and faster.

Case dismissed.

Reaction Score
Oh and lets not ignore the incredible FUNG WAH here. This should end ANY future discussion about which team and which fan base throws their players under the bus more often and faster.

Case dismissed.

I knew when you couldn't read a simple stat sheet correctly you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed, but jeez are you even able to walk and chew gum at the same time?

Reaction Score
I knew when you couldn't read a simple stat sheet correctly you weren't the sharpest tool in the shed, but jeez are you even able to walk and chew gum at the same time?
Whatever you say, there, retard.

Who are you again and why should I care ?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This is not a bad deal for the Red Sox - they'd basically built a very expensive team that wasn't very good. Now, they have a much less expensive team that isn't very good.

Of course, the people who built the very expensive very bad team are the very same people who are still in charge, so there's that.

From the Dodgers' perspective...

1) duck*. They must have a ton of freaking money.
2) They must not get NESN in Los Angeles.

Not sure how this is going to work out for them - that is a ton of freaking money for players who have failed their way out of a big market. There's a lot of 'ifs' here....if Carl Crawford recovers well and is over the terror he seemed to feel in Boston, if Josh Beckett gets the NL bump that AL pitchers seem to get when they move over and if AG starts playing like the AG who signed the bazillion dollar deal with the Sox. And if all three players stop being dickheaded malcontents...

My guess is that this will be just a step below the Herschel Walker deal on the trade failure scale.

Reaction Score
This is not a bad deal for the Red Sox - they'd basically built a very expensive team that wasn't very good. Now, they have a much less expensive team that isn't very good.

Of course, the people who built the very expensive very bad team are the very same people who are still in charge, so there's that.

From the Dodgers' perspective...

1) duck*. They must have a ton of freaking money.
2) They must not get NESN in Los Angeles.

Not sure how this is going to work out for them - that is a ton of freaking money for players who have failed their way out of a big market. There's a lot of 'ifs' here....if Carl Crawford recovers well and is over the terror he seemed to feel in Boston, if Josh Beckett gets the NL bump that AL pitchers seem to get when they move over and if AG starts playing like the AG who signed the bazillion dollar deal with the Sox. And if all three players stop being dickheaded malcontents...

My guess is that this will be just a step below the Herschel Walker deal on the trade failure scale.
No complaints about Gonzalez's performance; he is leading the majors with RBIs RISP. None of these guys are worth what they are getting but at least Gonzalez performed without a lot of lineup protection. Beckett helped pitch them to a championship and Crawford seemed like a good overpriced signing at the time. The people who built this bad team also put together teams that won 2 World Championships so as a long suffering Sox fan I appreciate what they did. It seems that they are developing a Tampa Bay type strategy but we'll see.
The players friendship with Francona and the hiring of nut to replace him created a lot of the turmoil and it didn't help that Lester and Beckett the bed.

Reaction Score
The problem with Jacoby is not that the Sox don't want him. With Boros as his agent there will be a bidding war after next year. If a bidding war ensues it is likely that he will go somewhere else and the Sox will end up with at best a draft choice. If they can package him up with someone and get back a Felix Hernandez or similar I would be very happy and you would still be a fan.

Scott Boros is his agent?? I forgot that he was an agent of his. I hope the Red Sox - if they trade Jacoby - would get back a stolen base threat, along with some draft choices and maybe a pitcher. I would love to see how Matt would do at Fenway this year. (Bring Matt up in September, since it is a lost year this season.)

Reaction Score
Only if you begin from the assumption that Red Sox management / ownership is incapable of dealing with anything but self-motivated saints on their roster. I think Mattingly and his staff are falling all over themselves with laughter at the idea of picking up Gonzalez and Beckett for this year and adding Crawford next year. The Dodgers improved quite a bit with this deal.

They aren't paying these guys out of your pocket, so stop crowing about bad contracts. The same people that GAVE THEM those bad contracts are still running things in Boston, so there is no reason to think they would suddenly learn how to spend money wisely now.

The person who gave them the money is running the Cubs!

Reaction Score

Case dismissed.
You are as much as anyone saying that they got rid of bad contracts and made mistakes. So at best you should park your Fung Wah in the same lot and avoid the highways as your mirrors don't enable you to see your path of destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom