Potential Big Ten/Big East Basketball Challenge | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Potential Big Ten/Big East Basketball Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
NY/NJ? Maryland/DC?

Maryland is now LESS attractive to DC and Baltimore kids, not more. Georgetown is now less attractive too. I think MD is now on the outside while that talent will get funneled to the ACC. Actually, UConn and Syracuse have been very active in Maryland over the years, often snagging the best Maryland recruits like Carmelo, Rudy Gay, Josh Boone. NY/NJ? Based on Rutgers? Have you actually seen their bball?

Coach K. knows what he's talking about in this instance. He is exactly right. The B1G has historically played a very ugly brand of bball, and unless things change quickly, you're going to be hurt badly by the ACC. UConn and Syracuse will continue to recruit NY heavily. I don't see how the B1G imagines any opening whatsoever there.

Based on what?

He's suggesting that the new schools give them greater access to recruit those areas. Maryland is better than having no presence in the Baltimore / DC corridor, and Rutgers is better than having no team in NJ/NYC. Of course, beating a crap team in a city where no one watches them on TV is of limited value, but Delany doesn't seem to care about that.

Reaction Score
I think it depends on whether ESPN retains its TV primacy. Obviously they are going to be pushing the ACC all the time. But if Fox gets traction, the B1G will be competitive. Of course they would benefit from having UConn, Kansas, Texas if they can get them.

This is a good point. And ESPN is really pushing it with how much they charge cable to carry their glut of networks. I read earlier today that live sports programming makes up $35-40/month of the cost of your monthly cable TV bill, out of the total of $69-99 that most carriers charge for the TV portion of your bill.

Reaction Score
Still can't believe you guys dismiss it. Fees jumped from $1.45 to $2.50 with the addition of UConn. You act like that's nothing. NOT to mention the fees landed SNY on Basic. Not to mention the fact that additional cable systems picked itup. When you get 8+ ratings for bball and .4 for Mets, what the hell do you think people are paying for? Do you know anything about Conn. and the popularity of the Mets? We went through this before in the last thread. My God, what the hell is wrong with you people? The most hard-headed people out there.

Why did UConn sell its rights to the BE? Because it didn't want to join the MAC?

You ask the weirdest questions. Why is Michigan sharing with Northwestern?

True or false - the prices of all live sports programming increase every time they are up for renewal?

Reaction Score
True or false - the prices of all live sports programming increase every time they are up for renewal?

They weren't up for renewal.

Second, cable systems put SNY on basic, when it was on an upper tier before.

Third, cable systems picked it up when they didn't even have SNY.

Four, UConn gets 8 ratings while the Mets do .4

Five, UConn bball kicks Cuse bball off the air on SNY not only in Conn. but everywhere SNY is shown.

http://syracusefan.com/threads/looks-like-the-prov-game-will-be-tape-delayed.40752/

Reaction Score
He's suggesting that the new schools give them greater access to recruit those areas. Maryland is better than having no presence in the Baltimore / DC corridor, and Rutgers is better than having no team in NJ/NYC. Of course, beating a crap team in a city where no one watches them on TV is of limited value, but Delany doesn't seem to care about that.

DC is ACC territory. Kids there are not going to be flowing to the midwest unless they go to Md.

I just can't even imagine how adding Rutgers helps the B1G with NYC recruits.

Reaction Score
Another golden nugget that should be posted in the AD's office. Maybe we can get Pacino to record it, like Any Given Sunday.
I really don't think he cares as he probably already looking for his next gig. Superstars are always in demand.**
The more things that come to light regarding the AAC media deal the more incompetent the UConn leaders look.
My guess is they took the short term monetary windfall figuring in three 3 years neither of them will be around. I original thought they had assurances of being somewhere else. But our president seems real comfortable were we are. Maybe she angling for the Tulane presidency.**
Guess who gets left holding the bag.
Why does the music from Camalot echo through my head when I think about UConn athletics.

**sarcasm
I will indicate the use of figures of speech to avoid stupid rebuttals

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
The B1G fears ACC basketball. The idea that playing schools that have been irrelevant in basketball for 20 years or more is going to help it on the East Coast is absurd. Not going to happen. B1G ball right now is experiencing an upsurge with Indiana, Ohio St., Michigan St, Michigan looking good. But the next recruiting cycle is only 3 years or so. Who knows what's going to happen then when the sheen on the current coaches might wear off from yet another postseason failure for the conference. If the ACC starts dominating, it won't be pretty. The B1G can show all the bball it wants on the BTN but eyes will be glued to the ACC instead.
To be clear...not my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#