Post, Guard, or Both?? | The Boneyard

Post, Guard, or Both??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know there has been talk that Geno will only take one more committ for the class of 2016. So it he just looking for a post? Or will he take a guard if a post does not committ? Basically I am wondering if the guards that are on the recruiting list are even still under consideration for Geno and company.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the full court press is on the two post players Cox and McCoy. I suspect that if say Ionescu or Chou wanted to commit, Geno would be happy to have them, but it seems the coaches are not really pursuing them at this point. That is just an impression from the dribs and drabs of leaks that get out.

Reaction Score
I am concerned about guard depth. Gabby and Courtney still have a lot to prove before I would count on them contributing against good competition at the guard position. Soniya really needs to work hard this summer.

Reaction Score
I know there has been talk that Geno will only take one more committ for the class of 2016. So it he just looking for a post? Or will he take a guard if a post does not committ? Basically I am wondering if the guards that are on the recruiting list are even still under consideration for Geno and company.
Who are you basing this theory on? If he has two top notch players who want to commit he will take them both. Personally I would not mind a class of four, and every now and then five. We have room.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I am concerned about guard depth. Gabby and Courtney still have a lot to prove before I would count on them contributing against good competition at the guard position. Soniya really needs to work hard this summer.

Me, too. I really want Ionescu. (plus a big)

Reaction Score
We're short on both, doomed.

Reaction Score
One of each, but no projects. Our walkons are just as good as any projects.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One of each, but no projects. Our walkons are just as good as any projects.
I love "our" walkons, great hustle, better story=to Rudy of ND fame, but for the most part we are talking about UCONN signing another guard or post or both ranked in the top 25 of all HS basketball players. Our walkons are simply not at that level, not even close.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well let's see.

In 2016-17
4/5 - Tuck, Butler, Boykin, Irwin, along with if needed Collier, Williams, Samuelson
1/2 - Chong, Nurse, Dangerfield along with Ekmark, maybe Samuelson, Williams?, Collier?
Ok for that year

Not sure if Williams, Samuelson, Collier will end up as 3/4's, 4/3's or 3/2's? Don't see any of them as a 2/3.

In 2017-2018
4/5 - Butler, Boykin, Irwin, along with Collier, Williams, Samuelson
1/2 - Nurse, Dangerfield, Espinoza-Hunter, along with Ekmark, maybe Samuelson, Williams? Collier?
plus any other recruits from that year
A little light, but could get by.

So really for the 2016 recruiting class, we really don't "have" to get anyone. But, it would still be very nice to bring in a big and a guard. And I hope Geno and Co are still looking that way.

Any combo works for me
Cox/Ionescu
McCoy/Ionescu
Holmes/Ionescu
Cox/Chou
McCoy/Chou
Holmes/Chou
Cox/Slocum
McCoy/Slocum
Holmes/Slocum

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Meyers - considering that KML was used as a guard for some extended minutes this past season, I certainly see Samuelson in that role as well. I believe defensively she will be quicker than Kaleena, and her extra size will allow her to play half a step further off and still threaten the jump shooter, and when beaten be more of a threat to cause problems from a trail position. Offensively her outside shooting can easily fit a guard profile and her size is a match-up nightmare.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers - considering that KML was used as a guard for some extended minutes this past season, I certainly see Samuelson in that role as well. I believe defensively she will be quicker than Kaleena, and her extra size will allow her to play half a step further off and still threaten the jump shooter, and when beaten be more of a threat to cause problems from a trail position. Offensively her outside shooting can easily fit a guard profile and her size is a match-up nightmare.
Sorta. I agree they might be used the same way. I suspect they will. Although I could see KLS posting up a lot more than KML did.

Although with Stokes, Stewart, Tuck, KML and Jefferson on the floor (which happened a bit in the NCAA's), KML is essentially the 2, she really didn't play a 2 as in bringing the ball up the floor and such. But then really when you have Jefferson at the 1, you don't really need a second guard.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorta. I agree they might be used the same way. I suspect they will. Although I could see KLS posting up a lot more than KML did.

Although with Stokes, Stewart, Tuck, KML and Jefferson on the floor (which happened a bit in the NCAA's), KML is essentially the 2, she really didn't play a 2 as in bringing the ball up the floor and such. But then really when you have Jefferson at the 1, you don't really need a second guard.
I always think Uconn positional definitions mean more on defense than on offense - with Tuck and Stewart being comfortable in the mid-range to three and centers like Dolson as well, the movement and possibilities are endless on offense - the question is more, who is comfortable guarding the arc on defense against quick wing/guards if you do not have a traditional two guard team on the floor. Morgan is surprisingly good at that, Stewart with her length is not bad, and KML was pretty good as well. I think Collier with quickness and Lou with length will do OK of the freshman - and I am leaving Boykin out just because I do not know her game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom