Post? 4? 5? | The Boneyard

Post? 4? 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't care what you call her. To me she is rebounds, blocks, assists, second chance points, third chance points and much more. She will ensure that the NC stays or comes back to it's rightful home, UCONN.

Reaction Score
Lets distinguish between offense and defense. On offense, I've read where she prefers to start play from the perimeter and that has been confirmed by the video thats available. . Azura's 3pt% last year(.358) and overall shooting %(.535) were higher than Stewies soph year. That's good company to be in. If she draws out the opposing big then Gabby , KLS and NC will have a field day around the basket. My sense is that she doesn't want to post up, high or low...ala Dolson.
On defense...can't imagine her not playing the 4 or 5. One of Stewie's most effective developments in her last two years was the way she rotated to provide weak side help. The ability of our guards and forwards to play up close and personal depends somewhat on understanding that there is help if you get beat. Can't imagine Geno not taking advantage of that length and mobility on defense.
Azura, given her rare physical attributes and strong, yet developing, skill sets will make her teammates collectively better.

Reaction Score
Natalie can play the 5, Azura the 4, Katie Lou the 2, Crystal the 1 and Gabby and Napheesa play the 3. On defense you can have Katie Lou play the 3 and Gabby and Napheesa play the 2.

CoachBill

Wise Eye
Reaction Score
chrissaran - might want to consider that going into the 2017/2018 season.... Kia Nurse will have been a 3 year starter and Geno favorite (esp for her Defense, Toughness )

cannot envision that Nurse would not be a starter again in her Senior year.

also envision the Geno would favor the Frontcourt versatility, mobility ( both ends ) that Azura would provide as the "Center" (technically ) and Katie Lou or Napheesa defending 4's.
In the same mold as Stewie playing the 5 & Tuck at the 4

Dangerfield & Nurse backcourt

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As some of you know, I have never liked this rigid 1-2-3-4-5 designation of players' positions. Recently a basketball writer in The Globe suggested a system to categorize positions that I really like. Here goes:
Ball-Handlers: Kia, Saniya, Crystal, Molly, Tierney.
Wings: Lou, Courtney.
Swings: Gabby, Napheesa.
Bigs: Nat, Kyla.​

Obviously, lots of flexibility rnabling Coach to "go big" or "spread the floor." One BH must be PG.

Looking ahead, Lexi will likely be a Wing, Azura a Swing, and I'm uncertain about Andra.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
As some of you know, I have never liked this rigid 1-2-3-4-5 designation of players' positions. Recently a basketball writer in The Globe suggested a system to categorize positions that I really like. Here goes:
Ball-Handlers: Kia, Saniya, Crystal, Molly, Tierney.
Wings: Lou, Courtney.
Swings: Gabby, Napheesa.
Bigs: Nat, Kyla.​

Obviously, lots of flexibility rnabling Coach to "go big" or "spread the floor." One BH must be PG.

Looking ahead, Lexi will likely be a Wing, Azura a Swing, and I'm uncertain about Andra.
I still like the 'relaxed' use of 1-5 designations because they indicate the relative strengths of the players on the court at any given time - seldom do you have two guards that are equally adept scorers, seldom do you have two players on the court at wing/forward that are equally comfortable defending a power forward, etc. a player like Maya may be a 4 in one line-up and a 3 in another and may even be shifted to a 2 in another, but by designating her with a number in the line-up it gives a good indication of how she integrates into the team at one end of the court or the other. Locking a player into a number designation doesn't work, nor does it necessarily define everything she does, but it still works pretty well.
Even when Muffet was running a four out offense last year, on defense there were pretty clear indications of defined roles for those four players.

Reaction Score
This discussion over who's a 1,2,3,4,5, is irrelevant. When you run a motion offense (as UConn does) each player must feel comfortable anywhere on the court. Sure some players handle the ball to a greater extent than do others but all in all players need to be able to face up or play with their backs to the basket. It's what makes them so hard to guard.

Reaction Score
I don't care what you call her. To me she is rebounds, blocks, assists, second chance points, third chance points and much more. She will ensure that the NC stays or comes back to it's rightful home, UCONN.
Actually she plays 4,5,6 and at times 7. 6 is score keeper, 7 Ref.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This discussion over who's a 1,2,3,4,5, is irrelevant. When you run a motion offense (as UConn does) each player must feel comfortable anywhere on the court. Sure some players handle the ball to a greater extent than do others but all in all players need to be able to face up or play with their backs to the basket. It's what makes them so hard to guard.

This lesson must be taught again and again. Actually we all know it by heart, but love to argue and the old is she a 3, 4 or 5 debate is such a stand by we cannot pass it up!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This lesson must be taught again and again. Actually we all know it by heart, but love to argue and the old is she a 3, 4 or 5 debate is such a stand by we cannot pass it up!
Even while running a motion offense there are still fairly clear distinctions on defense and some pretty clear distinctions on offense.

Reaction Score
Natalie can play the 5, Azura the 4, Katie Lou the 2, Crystal the 1 and Gabby and Napheesa play the 3. On defense you can have Katie Lou play the 3 and Gabby and Napheesa play the 2.

OK, call me old-fashioned. But I'm used to "point guard, shooting guard, forward, center. Could someone briefly bring me up to date with the "1,2,3,4,5" positions?

Sorry for the ignorance.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno clearly stated back at an alumni gathering in November in Hartford that he prefers players who are multi-position. He does not subscribe to the old 1-2-3-4-5- designations.

The motion offense needs versitle players to succeed. Stevens will play inside and outside, as will Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Natalie and Irwin. This is what makes defending UCONN so difficult.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, call me old-fashioned. But I'm used to "point guard, shooting guard, forward, center. Could someone briefly bring me up to date with the "1,2,3,4,5" positions?

Sorry for the ignorance.
Point guard (1)
Shooting Guard (2)
Small Forward (3) Sometimes called a Wing
Power Forward (4) Sometimes called a Post
Center (5)
Many people are confusion versatility-the ability to play more than one Numbered position with the idea that the numbers are outdated or no longer required. Gabby for example came to UCONN as a Guard and has not played the Guard position in the past two years. The numbers are essential & used to draw up plays.

Reaction Score
Just a bit off topic....
Although AZ can't play this year, we are all appreciative of the impact she will make on practice. Originally, I thought it would help make Natalie a more nimble, competitive defender and perhaps shooter as well. And it likely will.
But the more I think on it, the more I believe that Lou will improve the most by having AZ against her. Lou will be our active "big" this year (active meaning mobile, distinguished from Natalie unless she surprises greatly to the upside), and will need to be far more aggressive inside. She's also going to have to work much harder to get open outside Practicing against AZ could be just the thing she needs.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno clearly stated back at an alumni gathering in November in Hartford that he prefers players who are multi-position. He does not subscribe to the old 1-2-3-4-5- designations.

The motion offense needs versitle players to succeed. Stevens will play inside and outside, as will Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Natalie and Irwin. This is what makes defending UCONN so difficult.
That is all very nice in theory, but having Gabby or Natalie or Napheesa more than 15 ft from the basket on offense does not 'threaten the defense' at all - in fact it allows their defenders to play off and provide help defense closer to the basket. Napheesa and Gabby I am sure will be working on extending their range this summer and next year, but Natalie, like Stef before her will likely never be a real threat beyond the foul line extended. If they want to shoot from 20 ft, a defense will consider that a winning proposition.
Being able to play Morgan and Stewart as defensive post players the last two years was a luxury few teams ever enjoy based on their offensive ability to threaten from beyond the arc.
Motion offense does not require that everyone play every position on offense or be interchangeable - Moriah and Kia spent zero time trying to post up in the paint. What it requires is that within the areas on the floor where players can be effective, they are not stationary, but constantly moving to set picks, flashing to open areas, etc. and making the defense shift and respond to different options.

Reaction Score
Since the press release has been calling AZ a 6'6 Center, but she was listed as a G/F on her Duke bio, any chance she's listed as a G/F/C one the roster is updated for next season ?

Reaction Score
Since the press release has been calling AZ a 6'6 Center, but she was listed as a G/F on her Duke bio, any chance she's listed as a G/F/C one the roster is updated for next season ?
or the ubiquitous and ambiguous "W".

Reaction Score
*once

Reaction Score
I'm still pinching myself that we got AS. Everything I read prior didn't seem like we had a shot for her. I'm a huge fan of guard play, passing and the ability to shoot the ball. Geno's teams in my view have always tried to strive for this which is why I love watching them play so much.
1-- When AS comes -- we're going to have two very tall players that can shoot from 3 extremely well. How do you defend size that can shoot 3's when you have very good ball movement? Also, AS gives us size in the paint with an ability to defend big centers.
2-- They can also pass and put the ball on the floor.
3-- With these two players with size they put the power low post teams in a conundrum. They'd have to risk defending Collier or Gabby with their post.
4-- In two years if they can develop consistency from 3, we'd have not only a great offense but totally insane.
5-- With Nurse in her sr year she'll have a summer in which she isn't pushing it for her country. More rested.
6-- We're going to have Dangerfield's sophomore jump.
7-- This doesn't include every other player we'll have. I don't want to understate this. I'd be very surprised if at least one if not 2 or 3 etc become darn good/ very reliable.
8-- I can't even contemplate if we get Walker. Can you imagine how awesome it would be to have Gabby/Collier/Walker? Are you kidding me? And this is just a MINOR point.
9--Then you balance that off with a great backcourt and two terrific tall shooters? The great backcourt makes the wings better which makes the tall shooters better and the tall shooters will be such a threat that they'll make the wings better which makes the guards better!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm giddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10 - KLS is not "just" a shooter. She is a shooter in the KML mold yet she can get off her shots easier than KML. This means she has the capability of becoming even more prolific from 3 than The Great KML.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
hoophuskee - most of the world's national teams have to qualify in the odd years for the even year Olympic or WC competitions so it ends up being a yearly commitment - USA last had to play a qualifying tournament in 2007 after they won Bronze at the WC in 2006. So Kia is likely to be playing next summer as well for her NT.

Reaction Score
hoophuskee - most of the world's national teams have to qualify in the odd years for the even year Olympic or WC competitions so it ends up being a yearly commitment - USA last had to play a qualifying tournament in 2007 after they won Bronze at the WC in 2006. So Kia is likely to be playing next summer as well for her NT.

Wow- okay. Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
My first post. I'm not all that familiar with this site just yet, but here goes.

Briefly, if I may....numeric basketball positions (1,2,3,4,5) have long been part and parcel of basketball vernacular, thus are quite relevant. Referencing player positions, with its attendant roles and responsibilities, in widely accepted basketball parlance (the numeric positions), spells out in more explicit terms the characteristics and intricacies of the game.

Letter positions (PG,SG,SF,PF,C) are similarly relevant, and used interchangeably.

The variables lie in the interpretation and utilization of each position, which can overlap among those with knowledge of the game. Ideally, but not always, teams are more balanced and effective when formed as proximate to the 1-though-5 model, depending on coaching methodology and player attributes. Many times, coaches have to make do with what they have, compensating where they can. Or form unconventional lineups if it makes for a more competitive team, or a more favorable match up.

Some coaches may outwardly claim to not rely on or utilize numeric or letter positions, but most do, and all invariably subscribe to them in some form or in their own way.

Reference has also been made on other facets, such as versatility within a motion offense, etc. that I'd like to chime in on at another time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom