Possible 5th Yr Transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Possible 5th Yr Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
None at all. We're not talking about 85 FB schollies, we're talking hundreds of ath schollies. Somehow, its seemingly ok to bumpo 1% of the enrollemnt every year for undergrads, but not ok to take in a few 5th yr transfers. That kind of thinking will keep UConn in the AAC.
If the kid can qualify let him otherwise forget it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While I'm ready to snap when they don't admit someone who can really help..

This is a marginal player who was involved in a huge academic scandal.

So I think I'll wait before I pick up a torch and organize a mob.

Reaction Score
Tell me how Calhoun's "removal of principles" turned out again?

Huh? I am talking about concepts like athletes should not get extra hours to get a meal (when practice interferes) or receive tutoring help (when they were on the road all of the time). Believe it or not in circa 1985 if athletes missed the 4 to 6 pm eating hours in the dorms they were SOL. That was the old UConn - backwards and self- sabotaging as a matter of principle. Get it now?

Reaction Score
Yes we should preoccupy ourselves with one football transfer going to grad school, and play for only one year, and cause upheaval in all of our Grad Programs. And I am small minded. Wow
You were the one that got all worked up about him taking a spot from someone's non-athlete kid. I'm just saying let both in. You somehow think that will cause UConn grad programs to self-destruct. I'm not sure 'small-minded' covers it now.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Huh? I am talking about concepts like athletes should not get extra hours to get a meal (when practice interferes) or receive tutoring help (when they were on the road all of the time). Believe it or not in circa 1985 if athletes missed the 4 to 6 pm eating hours in the dorms they were SOL. That was the old UConn - backwards and self- sabotaging as a matter of principle. Get it now?

This thread isn't about eating hours. It's about the possibility of a 5th-year transfer getting admitted to a graduate program. With that in mind, I construed your post to mean "removal of principles" as bumping athletes through admissions who had no business being anywhere near a collegiate classroom at all (which Calhoun did from time to time). Which, as we found out several years ago, can blow up in one's face.

Reaction Score
You were the one that got all worked up about him taking a spot from someone's non-athlete kid. I'm just saying let both in. You somehow think that will cause UConn grad programs to self-destruct. I'm not sure 'small-minded' covers it now.
Like I said if the kid qualifies and is as good or better than others who did not make it, then fine.

Reaction Score
Let's be real here. BC, say whatever you want about it, is a strong academic school and yet Addazio found a way to take 7 or 8 fifth year transfers and the BC basketball coach 3. It was a joke that Robbie Frey, by all accounts a good kid along with being a great player, could not get into grad school for his particular program. This is an area which UConn needs to fix and it may take action by someone like Susan Herbst who is able to see the big picture. Remember almost 30 years ago when Calhoun, Casteen and company helped tear down some of the "principled" obstacles to athletic success? I consider this in the same category.
Do not put Robbie Frey in the mix on this one. He went to a school in Penn because it automatically qualified him to teach in that state upon graduation. His mom and dad both signed a post here written to explain the reason behind the transfer.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Do not put Robbie Frey in the mix on this one. He went to a school in Penn because it automatically qualified him to teach in that state upon graduation. His mom and dad both signed a post here written to explain the reason behind the transfer.
This is the truth that no one wanted to accept. Robbie picked up a year by going to a Pennsylvania college as opposed to UCONN towards his firs position. It was a tough choice, but he was thinking about life after football.

Had nothing to do with Coach P, UCONN admissions,etc.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes it was a total coincidence that Frey went back to PA after the news broke he wasn't admitted to grad school.

He wanted to play Division II football as a senior after scoring a TD in the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
Robbie also ended up in Atlanta Falcon training camp as an UDFA. If he wanted to go straight into teaching why take that detour?

His actions show that he wanted to go to the next level. Don't see how leaving UConn was a good move if that was the plan. More here than meets the eye.

Reaction Score
This is the truth that no one wanted to accept. Robbie picked up a year by going to a Pennsylvania college as opposed to UCONN towards his firs position. It was a tough choice, but he was thinking about life after football.

Had nothing to do with Coach P, UCONN admissions,etc.[/QUO

He did not fit with P's plans. Leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Very simple math. There was not a hint of a rumor of a thought that Frey wouldn't be back to be our starting TB before HCRE left. Unless they changed the rules to qualify for teaching in PA after the date of the Fiesta Bowl, the facts speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
Very simple math. There was not a hint of a rumor of a thought that Frey wouldn't be back to be our starting TB before HCRE left. Unless they changed the rules to qualify for teaching in PA after the date of the Fiesta Bowl, the facts speak for themselves.

My son had a long conversation with Robbie's fiancée at a bar the night before the Fiesta bowl. She said that Robbie was not happy with the playing time he got. So take it for what it's worth. I liked Robbie and thought that he should have gotten more playing time too. Ah well water under the bridge now.

Reaction Score
You're all right... There was something else. Power of the triangle. We have all been victims.

Reaction Score
More than a hint.

Reaction Score

My view ... Edsall would have talked Frey into the last year as the Stud RB we needed. Frey wasn't seduced by PP. McCown gave us none of the push Robbie would.

Reaction Score
All they need to do is support another grad. Why is that so hard? Do they have chairs already bolted to the floors in each class?

This is a very good point. Any department would be glad to have the extra line if the student was halfway capable, especially in this day and age.

The only reason I can think of, assuming the administration is willing to fund the extra line, is that other departments might start grousing.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 10:41pm via TweetDeck
There will be no Bob Diaco and Eilar Hardy reunion as former Notre Dame safety headed to Bowling Green

HARDY HEADED TO BOWLING GREEN
It wasn't too long ago that UConn was listed as one possible landing spot for former Notre Dame safety Eilar Hardy, based in large part on the fact that Diaco coached him at Notre Dame.

However, Hardy announced on his Twitter account that he was transferring to Bowling Green.

HardyNextDoor
@Ice_4xIcey

I will be headed to Bowling Green to play with my brothers @PrimeTimeLewis & @marc_mention4 lets put on for the
36-20e3.d5f6270f0a.png
. Blessed opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member