Poll Which Three Players Should UConn Nominate for WBCA AA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll Which Three Players Should UConn Nominate for WBCA AA

Which 3 PLayers should UConn Nomnate for WBCA All Amercian Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Watch the last 8 seconds of the first half in the maryland game. An AA doesn't make a dumb pass like that. If Uconn can only have 3 on the list then kia doesn't deserve to be on it. She should be much better then she is. Ask yourself this question, would kia make the usa national team?

Reaction Score
Watch the last 8 seconds of the first half in the maryland game. An AA doesn't make a dumb pass like that. If Uconn can only have 3 on the list then kia doesn't deserve to be on it. She should be much better then she is. Ask yourself this question, would kia make the usa national team?

Of course she wouldn't. But at this point in time, neither would any of the other players on our team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kia is there for the rings. Everything else is just a distraction.
Not really. What at stake in these nominations are not rings. What at stake is the opportunity to get your name and number up here.
CfZGliyUUAA2aa2.jpg:large

That is hardly a distraction.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
@bizarro aj that is a rather bizarre question. We are talking about 2017 AA nominations. There is not a college player ANYWHERE that would make USA National Team.

Reaction Score
Obviuosly all four should be nominated. I hope we all agree on this!

But since we can only have three, its Lou, Pheesa and Gabby. And I'll leave it at that.
I certainly agree that all four deserve a nomination and who says we can't nominate all of them? I know, I know, it's somebody's or something's rule but that doesn't mean it has to be mindlessly followed. Send all four names and let them deal with it. What's the worst that can happen? UConn isn't included? Their loss, not ours. Sometimes you just gotta take a stand (remember the '72 Olympic basketball team).

Reaction Score
Each of these players are excellent and brings needed positives to the team. They are all essential. The goal for UConn is for all four of them to play great every night. For the most part they have done that.

I did not base my vote entirely on stats. I also did not base my vote on who has the best chance of being named All American. I looked at the nomination by the team as the (first) honor and asked: "Who deserves that honor."

For me Katie Lou and Napheesa are the no-brainers. They are the offensive glue. They have performed every game. Katie Lou's offensive game is at All American status and the rest of her game is getting better and better. Napheesa is one of the best all around players in the country. She scores, she defends and blocks shots, she rebounds. I cannot imagine how these two don't get the nod. These two are the only two on the team who can consistently score even when they are guarded (as opposed to hitting the open shot). Napheesa is the best at this. If you give her the ball in the low block she will score. She doesn't need a screen or to be left wide open. She will score no matter what.

So for me it came down to Kia and Gabby. Kia's offensive numbers are slightly better but in every other way Gabby is more important to the team. Her defense is essential (we have no one else who can guard the centers as effectively), she leads the teams in assists, she blocks shots, she had great energy and appears to be a team leader. I think we should not underestimate the physical pounding she absorbs every game from much bigger players. I don't think Gabby would be voted All American because the voters will focus on her scoring average. But in my view, she deserves the honor of the nomination from the team in recognition of her outstanding, selfless play.

So I voted, Gabby, Katie Lou and Napheesa.

Reaction Score
Not really. What at stake in these nominations are not rings. What at stake is the opportunity to get your name and number up here.

I agree, which is why I am one of only 3 to vote for the two Juniors, Kia and Gabby, and one sophomore, Pheesa, who's game is more well-rounded than Katie Lou's (at this point). KL will have two more tries at AA and I'm sure that she will eventually earn that distinction. Plus, if it's the UConn coaching staff that makes the nomination then there's a good chance that factors other than scoring will affect their decision.

Reaction Score

If Gabby doesn't get on the wall I'll be mad just like everyone would have been if Tuck didn't.

Reaction Score
@bizarro aj that is a rather bizarre question. We are talking about 2017 AA nominations. There is not a college player ANYWHERE that would make USA National Team.
My point is, just because she is on the Canadian national team does not mean she is a great player. She is a good player and uconn would've still won the last 2 NCs without her.

Reaction Score
With there being at least 3 AA teams, one that names 5 players AP, and one WBCA, that names 10 players, and another that I can't recall, all 4 of our players can be named AA's when all is said and done! I agree with huskeynut and RegisteredUconn above, name all 4 and let the talking suits pick 3! #4 will definitely be named by the WBCA thereby all 4 getting up on the UCONN HUSKIES OF HONOR!
IMHO Kia, Pheesa, KLS, and Gabby are 4 of the top 5 players in the country, if the powers that be can't or won't understand that then it's their loss.

Reaction Score
...This was the Katie Lou poll---notice every category without her got fewer number--...

When you take 4 things 3 at a time there is only 1 combination where each one is left out. Each player is left out of one of the choices. The one that got the most votes is the one absent Kia. As I wrote above, it was very hard leaving Kia out. She may be this teams MVP or "glue", but compared to the other 3 she doesn't rise to the level of AA.

Having taken that stance, I'm glad she doesn't play for an opponent. I'm even happier that Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby don't either.

Reaction Score
When you take 4 things 3 at a time there is only 1 combination where each one is left out. Each player is left out of one of the choices. The one that got the most votes is the one absent Kia. As I wrote above, it was very hard leaving Kia out. She may be this teams MVP or "glue", but compared to the other 3 she doesn't rise to the level of AA.

Having taken that stance, I'm glad she doesn't play for an opponent. I'm even happier that Lou, Pheesa, and Gabby don't either.
I had no disagreement with your choices---those were YOUR choices--your poll--your way--my comment was just that a comment---
My comment on Kia was based on---in one game and from then on--I took notice of the things KIA was doing--i'm still impressed. Her numbers in total may never equal that of Napheesa or Katie Lou--but I'm not sure Uconn would be without a loss--if she didn't play every game.
I have no issue with the way you presented your poll or your reasoning--

Reaction Score
I did it by seniority, juniors and then Katie as slightly more impactful than Napheesa.

To me, the big thing is getting Kia and Gabby on the Wall, by being an AA. The former being the much greater honor. Napheesa will certainly be an AA next year.

It will always bother me that Kelly is not there.

Reaction Score
bizarro first I will start with I don't care for this thread as it forces fans to say something negative about players on the team. Having said that I understand the premise, facts are facts and it is what it is. :) I will say though and not attacking you here, this comment is a bit slanderous and silly. Why is a bad pass from anyone that Geno felt had to play all 40 minutes of the game considered dumb? At the pace UConn plays the game mistakes are going to happen.
Am I saying Kia deserves AA status? No, but the fact she could not make the USA National team takes absolutely nothing away from how important she is to this team.
She should be much better than she is? :confused: Again no slander but I have to take Geno's opinion before I trust in yours. He has her on the floor more minutes than any other player on the team. She must be doing something right.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html#TEAM.IND

Reaction Score
If we're dealing with feelings, we nominate only TWO: Gabby and Kia, because they're juniors. We make a statement of principle. If we can't nominate 4, we don't have to nominate 3, and this way there is logic to inclusion and exclusion (and Lou and Pheesa are sure-fire to be selected over the following 2 yrs).

But if we're just trying to get as many AA's as possible this year regardless of hurt feelings, I'm afraid Kia is the one to eliminate. Is she essential to the team? Of course. But we are the experts, and the unwashed, ignorant authorities who don't participate in the BY will likely see it otherwise. She is less "glitzy" than the other 3.

But I'm not voting. And: what the hell are we going to do next year? Nominate the whole team?

Reaction Score
After the first few games Kia has gotten better and better. But I still agree that unless there are some significant changes by the end of season the other three have contributed more overall. Kia has another year, and as a senior I think she will merit more consideration if she keeps going and gets even better. But I bet the others continue to improve as well.

Reaction Score
I had no disagreement with your choices---those were YOUR choices--your poll--your way--my comment was just that a comment---
My comment on Kia was based on---in one game and from then on--I took notice of the things KIA was doing--i'm still impressed. Her numbers in total may never equal that of Napheesa or Katie Lou--but I'm not sure Uconn would be without a loss--if she didn't play every game.
I have no issue with the way you presented your poll or your reasoning--

Perhaps I'm misreading your reply, but this is not my poll. I'm just one of, at this moment, 156 responders. You suggested that all of the choices that didn't include Lou received the fewest number of votes. I was simply pointing out that there was only one choice that didn't include Lou just as there was only one choice that didn't include Kia. At this moment out of 156 respondents, 132 have selected the latter choice. I wouldn't characterize the poll as the "Katie Lou Poll".

Reaction Score

LOL! This is so ridiculous. I'm sure there are 8 seconds of Maya, Diana, Stewie, and Sue that don't look so good either. So 8 seconds of bad basketball and "no Team USA for you!". I don't think she qualifies for Team USA anyway but Kia will make the Canadian National Team. Oh yeah, she's already on it. I don't really expect Kia to be an All-American nor do I expect she'll make the Wall of Honor. She's too busy being unselfish, distributing the ball, and just helping the team win through leadership. Hey, we all know that without those offensive numbers she doesn't stand a chance (right?). But I love her game and her composure on the court. I just feel this thread was a (not so) subtle way to discredit her selection to the Mid-Season Wooden Team (0r whatever you call it) by a BY'er who felt Gabby was being slighted (which she is) and obviously it worked. I just don't see what other purpose this poll serves. I really hope our women do not read The Boneyard. Especially Kia.

Reaction Score
I certainly agree that all four deserve a nomination and who says we can't nominate all of them? I know, I know, it's somebody's or something's rule but that doesn't mean it has to be mindlessly followed. Send all four names and let them deal with it. What's the worst that can happen? UConn isn't included? Their loss, not ours. Sometimes you just gotta take a stand (remember the '72 Olympic basketball team).

That's a tough one because we would not be undefeated if any one of the four did not play this year.

Reaction Score
Kia makes too many mistakes for a junior and her scoring is not consistent enough for her to be an AA. Gabby, Collier and KLS are uconns AA this season.

This is bizarro. I'm not saying you're wrong for excluding her. Just your reasons are bizarre. I'm with the others who think we should have 4 nominees at the moment. Limiting a team is dumb imo.

Anyhow, regarding your points. Kia has a better efg% than Gabby. There are some that go by fg% - but fg% alone doesn't address efficiency. Going 4 for 10 from three is more efficient than going 5-10 from 2. As a result, Kia scores more than Gabby. And Kia is a better passer. She may be behind Gabby in assists but she has less turnovers too.

I'm not saying Kia is better. Just think your comment about mistakes imo is wrong and your mention of scoring is wrong in comparison to Gabby. I think the point is, you get more frustrated with Kia which is fine. Everyone has different likes etc. But it's not what you said above.

Reaction Score
News flash: Kia is the glue. Her raw numbers mean "no way" for first team, but for me one of our youngsters can wait. I suspect she will not be put up because it has to do with mindless stats, but her value to this team is incalculable. OBTW check out the 48th and 49th points scored the other night. Now that Geno knows she has a 6th gear he'll want it all the time.
Wrong! Gabby is the glue and the heart and soul of this team. No comparison.

Reaction Score
This is bizarro. I'm not saying you're wrong for excluding her. Just your reasons are bizarre. I'm with the others who think we should have 4 nominees at the moment. Limiting a team is dumb imo.

Anyhow, regarding your points. Kia has a better efg% than Gabby. There are some that go by fg% - but fg% alone doesn't address efficiency. Going 4 for 10 from three is more efficient than going 5-10 from 2. As a result, Kia scores more than Gabby. And Kia is a better passer. She may be behind Gabby in assists but she has less turnovers too.

I'm not saying Kia is better. Just think your comment about mistakes imo is wrong and your mention of scoring is wrong in comparison to Gabby. I think the point is, you get more frustrated with Kia which is fine. Everyone has different likes etc. But it's not what you said above.
Kia's numbers look better because the attention of most teams is on the BIG 3. She is drawing no where near the attention of the others the vast majority of the time but I acknowledge that she does deserve credit for taking advantage of that. She's shown more discipline this year than she had in the past and she's not nearly as prone to drive to the rim totally out of control as she used to. She reminds me a bit of Kelly Faris in the fact that her offensive game has evolved in the latter stages of her time in Storrs. I think losing KLS or Gabby or Napheesa to foul trouble or heaven forbid, injury, would have more of a devastating effect on this team, not that Kia's loss wouldn't be a big one. I think Kia is a really good player but not of All-American caliber.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom