Poll Which Three Players Should UConn Nominate for WBCA AA | The Boneyard

Poll Which Three Players Should UConn Nominate for WBCA AA

Which 3 PLayers should UConn Nomnate for WBCA All Amercian Team

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
UConn can only nominate 3 players for the WBCA All American Team. Who should the team Nominate? I"m only going to include the Core 4 as Geno has referred to Katie Lou, Kia, Gabby and Napheesa.

I'm wondering how Geno and the Coaches will make the decision.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
News flash: Kia is the glue. Her raw numbers mean "no way" for first team, but for me one of our youngsters can wait. I suspect she will not be put up because it has to do with mindless stats, but her value to this team is incalculable. OBTW check out the 48th and 49th points scored the other night. Now that Geno knows she has a 6th gear he'll want it all the time.

Reaction Score
News flash: Kia is the glue. Her raw numbers mean "no way" for first team, but for me one of our youngsters can wait. I suspect she will not be put up because it has to do with mindless stats, but her value to this team is incalculable. OBTW check out the 48th and 49th points scored the other night. Now that Geno knows she has a 6th gear he'll want it all the time.

Hear, hear!

Reaction Score
Wow - responses including Kia only 22% in the early balloting

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For the record, whatever answer you pick is wrong, like the "Kobiashi Maru" training excercise on Star Trek. Just like Captain Kirk, I choose to beat this challenge by rigging the system. Lou, Pheesa & Kia for WBCA AA's & Gabby for AP AA and NDPOY.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
My poll and I voted #1. The only reason is that Kia and Gabby are Juniors and Katie Lou has the higher scoring average. Also, I think that's what the coaches will do.

The coaches are in the same position they were a couple of years ago, when it was KML, Stewie, Moriah and Morgan. KML got the nod over Morgan because she was a Senior.

Coaches are in a no win situation. With the Core 4 returning and with the addition of Stevens, next year will be worse. Crystal may also break into the starting lineup and she might be added to the mix if she plays great.

Reaction Score
I picked the fourth option because I can't leave off my favorite player Gabby!!!! And of course Lou and Collier are great too. Kia is a great player too but she can be nominated next year.

Reaction Score
Really tough call for me to have Kia as the odd man out but Lou and Pheesa are no-brainers and Gabby is the best overall player in the country. What doesn't she do on the court? About the only thing she rarely does is shoot from beyond the arc. I bet she's working hard on that as well. With Stevens available next year, I'd like to see Gabby take over for Saniya in the backcourt. I think that's where she'll have to play in the pros.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I still say she is the MVP.

Reaction Score
This seems like a needless thread with an agenda. Obviously the three other players are flashier and generally put up better numbers than Kia so the outcome was pretty much a no-brainer. But consider this. UCONN is a well oiled machine for the most part. Bench one of these four players for a game and assess the overall effect. I'm sorry but the machine doesn't function nearly as effectively without Kia on the floor. Geno calls her "steady Eddie" and there's a reason she plays the most minutes. Now, having said that I admit it would be equally difficult to eliminate Lou, Gabby, or Napheesa. They're all great. Tough choice. But I agree with Mr. Mahler, Kia is the MVP, or at least mine.

Reaction Score
It's difficult to decide on which of the four to leave off the nominations. To put selection into perspective, imagine how hard it would have been to pick only 3 from the 2002 team. Bird, Taurasi, Jones, Williams, Cash.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't want to diminish the virtues of the other three, but Kia Nurse is the ultimate glue player that every coach would kill for, and without which no team can have any significant success. One of the main reasons why a team like Ohio State seems to flounder despite so much talent is because they have no Kia Nurses on their team. (And one reason why I think they were a better team last year, despite being less stacked with talent, was because Cait Craft was their Kia Nurse-type player.)

If the current win streak belongs to any one player in its entirety, it would be Kia, who became a starter precisely after the Stanford loss and has remained one ever since.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If the goal of this exercise is to pick the 3 players that would ultimately win the vote of the actual AA committee, wouldn't you chose the 3 "flashiest" nominees? It is a "popularity" vote in the end so nominate the most "popular". If even the BY members think #4 is most deserving (i.e popular), that is the "slate" you should submit for nomination. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Kia makes too many mistakes for a junior and her scoring is not consistent enough for her to be an AA. Gabby, Collier and KLS are uconns AA this season.

Reaction Score
Kia makes too many mistakes for a junior and her scoring is not consistent enough for her to be an AA. Gabby, Collier and KLS are uconns AA this season.

Mistakes? Kia makes fewer mistakes than pretty much any other player on our team, in my opinion. Now she does fail to execute on offense from time to time, with missed bunnies or problematic drives to the basket that can lead to turnovers, so I agree with your comments about her scoring. This has historically been an challenge for her, but she's been a lot better about it in recent games.

I could go on and on about why I also believe she is the indispensable glue player for our tam. Here's just one example: Against Maryland, late in the game when we were in big-time foul trouble, and they were scoring at will on layups and in the paint, Kia ran the point to perfection. She calmed everybody down and created a perfect rhythm/pace that allowed her her team to hang on and grind out the win. It's a strong possibility that we would not have won without what Kia did for us in the forth quarter of that game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

More than agree!! Your point? You just got to watch Kia.
This was the Katie Lou poll---notice every category without her got fewer number--
Kia--maybe, just maybe, isn't an AA (she is after all AlL Canadian)--her number tell you nothing. If you don't take the time to watch her --you'll miss those little (big) things she does to make it possible for the scorer to score. How many times in how many games--has Kia used her hockey background to be the Uconn enforcer--oops there goes another defender plant!!
(Rocky the YOU above is the generalized YOU--not specifically YOU---do YOU get it? You'all)

Reaction Score
Mistakes? Kia makes fewer mistakes than pretty much any other player on our team, in my opinion. Now she does fail to execute on offense from time to time, with missed bunnies or problematic drives to the basket that can lead to turnovers, so I agree with your comments about her scoring. This has historically been an challenge for her, but she's been a lot better about it in recent games.

I could go on and on about why I also believe she is the indispensable glue player for our tam. Here's just one example: Against Maryland, late in the game when we were in foul trouble and they were scoring at will in the paint, Kia ran the point to perfection, calming everybody down and creating a perfect rhythm/pace that allowed her her team to hang on. It's a strong possibility that we would not have won that game without what Kia did for us in the forth quarter.

Aw---you're only saying that cuz you're a fellow Canuck!! (read my reply to Rocky's posting)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Obviuosly all four should be nominated. I hope we all agree on this!

But since we can only have three, its Lou, Pheesa and Gabby. And I'll leave it at that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This seems like a needless thread with an agenda.
Not needless at all, this is very real. UCONN (any school) can only nominate a maximum of 3 players for WBCA AA team. Two years ago we had an identical situation when KML, Stewie, and Morriah Jefferson were nominated and Morgan Tuck was not. It is going to happen again this year because the rules have not changed. The one significant difference in two years ago at least 2 of the four (Stewie & KML) were already AA. This would be the first time for Kia, Napheesa, Gabby & KLS.

Reaction Score
Not needless at all, this is very real. UCONN (any school) can only nominate a maximum of 3 players for WBCA AA team. Two years ago we had an identical situation when KML, Stewie, and Morriah Jefferson were nominated and Morgan Tuck was not. It is going to happen again this year because the rules have not changed. The one significant difference in two years ago at least 2 of the four (Stewie & KML) were already AA. This would be the first time for Kia, Napheesa, Gabby & KLS.
Kia is there for the rings. Everything else is just a distraction.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom