POLL: which of the following would you most like to be true in 2015-16? | The Boneyard

POLL: which of the following would you most like to be true in 2015-16?

Which of the options below would you most want to be true in 2015-16?

• Natalie Butler starts and is at minimum a dependable post

Votes: 47 39.2%
  • Moriah Jefferson makes a serious run at NPOY

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • Saniya Chong becomes a 50-40-80 shooter from FG-3PG-FT

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • Gabby Williams plays significant minutes every game, including in the Final Four

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • De'janae Boykin has the most productive year of the three freshmen

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Courtney Ekmark is healthy all year and makes at least something of a sophomore leap

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Other (something in the same range of likeliness that I'd want to happen even more)

Votes: 10 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
There are many things we know will be true next season. For instance, we know Stewie will play at the game's highest level; she's the two-time reigning NPOY. We know Morgan Tuck will put on a first-team AA-caliber performance; she did it last season and is even more likely to be recognized as such next one. We know KLS will live up to her #1 national high school ranking; kids with such ranks tend to do just that.

Conversely, some things are too much of a stretch to suggest they will happen next season. Kia will be incrementally better, but WBCA AA is unlikely. Lawlor and Pulido, with all due respect to them, are probably going to have the same (far along the bench) roles they've had the past two years, so I'm not going to suggest otherwise.

Rather, what I've posted in the poll are some things that might happen but might not. Of the possibilities I've suggested, which would you most want to be true? Which best helps the cause of all the aspirations we have for the 2015-16 season? Alternatively, which would you simply enjoy seeing the most?

Reaction Score
I always hope for no injuries (for any player on any team), and a UConn championship. But beyond that I voted for the Gabby one, and it was between that and Natalie, having Natalie be good will be more important for the overall team, but I think Gabby is really fun to watch so I want to see her play a lot. I think she could to, getting to play in the NC game was a big vote of confidence in her, so I wouldn't be surprised for her to play more.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
One thing that will be interesting is to see what happens with Gabby's rebounding success next season, if only a per minute basis as it approached extraordinary levels for her as a freshman. But the situation could be different when she is no longer spending a large part of her time on the floor with Kiah. On the one hand they were both competing for rebounds and seemed to get most of the boards when they were on the floor together, but Kiah's job was to get the ones in the paint and she also attracted the other team's top rebounders around her, while Gabby gobbled them up from a little further out and to the side of the basket and she watched for where the ball was going to carom to get in position. It may be there will not not be a huge difference with Butler next year filling Kiah's role in much the same way.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think having Jefferson at a NPOY level would give us the best chance at a NC. Two players playing at that level? We did pretty good last time that happened. (Charles and Moore split them in 2010, pretty good year)

Reaction Score
I would like to check "all of the above", but I sincerely hope that Morgan gets All-American this coming year. IMO, she was robbed by our depth this year. And schools could only nominate 3, I think.
I believe she makes a run a NPOY next season. Only problem she has is Breanna will get more attention on and off the court. Along with Moriah they will be the best recruiting class ever.... anywhere.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I chose the Saniya option - though it would be more attractive if you threw in some increase in defensive skills. I didn't want to waste my vote on the apparently popular Natalie option, because that is a lock and then some. The Boykin option was a real puzzler, since it seemed to require putting the hex on Collier and Samuelson! Having Saniya as a more than steady PG or SG sub would be very good. An option I could have also gone for would be having Kia Nurse's scoring efficiency go up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Chose the Natalie option as I think that is the clearest route for Uconn to be the NC again.

1. If Moriah is truly a NPOY candidate that means Stewart has fallen short of her potential.

2. If Boykin is the most productive of the three freshman, what happened to/with Collier and Lou?!

3. If Gabby does not meet those goals it is probably the result of others stepping up big time.

4. Chong - she was pretty close to that this past year, and does the team really need it?

5. Courtney - certainly hope this is true, but again, does the team really need it?

6. Other - HistoryMajor nailed that one.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I also chose the Natalie option, but I think maybe for other reasons - Of course we want to see ALL the options come to pass in one way or another but...

I think having a really productive Natalie is the most important piece in helping this team be even more fearsome next year than this past year. And if you are asking for just "one" option and that the other 5 do not come to pass, then I think Natalie is the most important piece of the ones you mentioned.

In other words - if Moriah JUST stays as good as she was this year and does not challenge for NPOY...
If Boykin is the least of the 3 incoming recruits...
If Gabby, Chong and Emkarm only play like they did this year...

If all the other things "happen" as I mentioned, we will be even stronger favorites IF Butler EARNS a starting role and plays like she deserves it...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Chose the Natalie option as I think that is the clearest route for Uconn to be the NC again.

1. If Moriah is truly a NPOY candidate that means Stewart has fallen short of her potential.

2. If Boykin is the most productive of the three freshman, what happened to/with Collier and Lou?!

3. If Gabby does not meet those goals it is probably the result of others stepping up big time.

4. Chong - she was pretty close to that this past year, and does the team really need it?

5. Courtney - certainly hope this is true, but again, does the team really need it?

I agree with a much of this and disagree with a bit of it.

In 2010, Maya and Tina both won NPOY awards a year after Maya enjoyed a clean sweep. Such a precedent implies Mo could make a run without Stewie falling short of her goals.

If Boykin is the most productive, it could mean she has an unexpected monster freshman season- a huge bonus because I imagine Lou and Collier would have been every bit as good as predicted.

I agree wholeheartedly on Natalie B.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I agree with a much of this and disagree with a bit of it.

In 2010, Maya and Tina both won NPOY awards a year after Maya enjoyed a clean sweep. Such a precedent implies Mo could make a run without Stewie falling short of her goals.

If Boykin is the most productive, it could mean she has an unexpected monster freshman season- a huge bonus because I imagine Lou and Collier would have been every bit as good as predicted.

I agree wholeheartedly on Natalie B.
Good response! And yeah - those could happen, but ... the team wouldn't need them, and the likely reason would be because the negative occurred and not the positive spin.
And Moriah as a guard will be 'devalued' compared to an equally impressive forward/center on the same team - Tina as a center forced her way into the conversation with Maya the forward. The MVP of the final four is an example of that this year. Moriah would have to clearly be outplaying Stewart and even then incumbency would still have some sway.

Reaction Score
The one that I care the least about is Saniya and what she achieves. I like her and I think she's a great teammate and I hope she improves and helps the Huskies in a multitude of ways but it seems that there are always people that try to focus more on her success than that of other valued kids who deserve at least as much attention. It almost seems to be an obsession for some. I agree that she's supplied some important minutes from time to time but I almost think that some people bought into the way some services rated her prior to her arrival in Storrs and feel that at some point she'll prove she was worthy of that rating. I'm inclined to think she won't but will have had a "nice" career and contribute in her own way to more UConn titles. Isn't that enough????

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
As others have said, I think it would be best of these options for Butler to shine Stewie and Morgan would be the biggest beneficiaries of this on many levels.

Reaction Score
There are many things we know will be true next season. For instance, we know Stewie will play at the game's highest level; she's the two-time reigning NPOY. We know Morgan Tuck will put on a first-team AA-caliber performance; she did it last season and is even more likely to be recognized as such next one. We know KLS will live up to her #1 national high school ranking; kids with such ranks tend to do just that.

Conversely, some things are too much of a stretch to suggest they will happen next season. Kia will be incrementally better, but WBCA AA is unlikely. Lawlor and Pulido, with all due respect to them, are probably going to have the same (far along the bench) roles they've had the past two years, so I'm not going to suggest otherwise.

Rather, what I've posted in the poll are some things that might happen but might not. Of the possibilities I've suggested, which would you most want to be true? Which best helps the cause of all the aspirations we have for the 2015-16 season? Alternatively, which would you simply enjoy seeing the most?

ALEX: nifty post. Find all your polls interesting, but especially liked this one

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
When I look at these options, and the crazy potential of how good next year's team might be, I have a fantasy wish that the games could be extended from 40 minutes to 60 minutes so that most of it could come true.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Other-no serious illnesses or injuries. Otherwise, whatever else happens, I see #11 on the horizon. This is a great team personality wise, talent wise, & battle tested as well. Injuries are a significant concern just coz of the way many of the teams played Stewie.

Reaction Score
I would like to check "all of the above", but I sincerely hope that Morgan gets All-American this coming year. IMO, she was robbed by our depth this year. And schools could only nominate 3, I think.

Hi CGG: as is often the case am on the same page with you: "I'd like one of each, please, and gift-wrapping would be superfluous." :):)

Reaction Score
I agree--however I would change the "minimally" in Butlers listing to Steff like because I believe she shall. Also Ekmark I hope she , Chong and Gabby to become the impact players we all expected from them--they have the potential or Geno would not have them on his team.
I only wish we could have selected more than one. Morgan deserved an All American this year--in ALL the truly big games she was a difference maker--and played against players 2 to 7 inches taller than herself--in the Tx game she was AWESOME.

Reaction Score
I agree--however I would change the "minimally" in Butlers listing to Steff like because I believe she shall. Also Ekmark I hope she , Chong and Gabby to become the impact players we all expected from them--they have the potential or Geno would not have them on his team.
I only wish we could have selected more than one. Morgan deserved an All American this year--in ALL the truly big games she was a difference maker--and played against players 2 to 7 inches taller than herself--in the Tx game she was AWESOME.
The one that I care the least about is Saniya and what she achieves. I like her and I think she's a great teammate and I hope she improves and helps the Huskies in a multitude of ways but it seems that there are always people that try to focus more on her success than that of other valued kids who deserve at least as much attention. It almost seems to be an obsession for some. I agree that she's supplied some important minutes from time to time but I almost think that some people bought into the way some services rated her prior to her arrival in Storrs and feel that at some point she'll prove she was worthy of that rating. I'm inclined to think she won't but will have had a "nice" career and contribute in her own way to more UConn titles. Isn't that enough????

You hit upon a year to year failure of our media hyping certain players--it sets out expectations for them (sometimes) much too high. Saniya and Ekmark are victims of that hype. They are good players and at time can be great players (Saniya has proven that(Stanford)). When they don't perform to hyped expectation we expect more. It is the media's failure and OUR failure as fans to expect greatness out of very good players. I just hope Boykin, Collier and KLS don't become victims to unrealistic expectations.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Which 6-9 player did she play against?

Reaction Score
You hit upon a year to year failure of our media hyping certain players--it sets out expectations for them (sometimes) much too high. Saniya and Ekmark are victims of that hype. They are good players and at time can be great players (Saniya has proven that(Stanford)). When they don't perform to hyped expectation we expect more. It is the media's failure and OUR failure as fans to expect greatness out of very good players. I just hope Boykin, Collier and KLS don't become victims to unrealistic expectations.

1. NPOY announcement is for the NC winners==and who on those teams deserve it is a bit of a crap shoot if that team is loaded with talent--this year 4 players could have been NPOY. Stewie won't be slighted if Moriah gets it.
2. Most productive does not mean the other two don't play great and get lots of PT
3. PT for Gabby isn't about minutes, it's about impacting the game, and she'll do that.
4. Experience of Chong will trump her, in some games, to the 3 newbies
5. I agree --however Geno loves a 3 ball shooter who is accurate--never have too many of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom