Poll: most satisfying regular season win of the past five years? | The Boneyard

Poll: most satisfying regular season win of the past five years?

What's your most satisfying *regular season* Uconn win in the past five years?

• South Carolina Feb 2015

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Notre Dame Dec 2014

Votes: 46 54.1%
  • Duke Dec 2013

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Stanford Dec 2012

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Texas A&M Dec 2011

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Florida State Dec 2010

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's hard to pick only seven options (including one for "other") in a poll like this, but, I thought it was worth posting. Above in the poll are three separate #1 vs. #2 matchups, a rivalry game, a rout of the defending national champs at the time, and win #89 in a row. Or maybe there's been another game in the past half-decade that did it for you even more.

Vote and discuss!

Reaction Score
I went with ND because of that little run of last second success the Floppers had against UConn and the animosity between the programs. It's just so nice to pound them into submission.

Although I must admit, waxing the No.1 team in the nation in front of one of the best home crowds I've ever witnessed at a UConn game wasn't too shabby.

Reaction Score
The Stanford one broke their home winning streak, right? Both were top 5 I believe.
That was a big one.

But if we include the post-season, not sure anything has topped the shear joy of beating ND in the 2013 F4.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Note Dame NCAA Semi Final 2013, after losing the three close games that season!!!! That was the one - all the others are definite 2 nds!!! That was our NC game really- and we all knew it!

Reaction Score
This was not in the timeframe under discussion but there was a very satisfying regular season win vs. UNC. Does anyone remember the context? I was at the game and I remember it feeling like a huge win but I can't remember the exact context. Would have been somewhere in the dark days between DT and Maya. I just remember feeling like we really needed a win against a good team. We got down in the first half IIRC and came back strong to win.

Reaction Score
The Stanford one broke their home winning streak, right? Both were top 5 I believe.
That was a big one.

But if we include the post-season, not sure anything has topped the shear joy of beating ND in the 2013 F4.
I will vote for this one! as UCONN had lost to them three times in the same season.

Reaction Score
ANY win against ND. As soon as the refs quit going for the flops, ND had no plan B.

Reaction Score
Note Dame NCAA Semi Final 2013, after losing the three close games that season!!!! That was the one - all the others are definite 2 nds!!! That was our NC game really- and we all knew it!
Absolutely! You nailed the one I'd vote for.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
For regular season games, I'm very partial to the 65-64 win over Baylor in 2010. First, I have always assumed that Mulkey's interest in playing UConn in a four game series was to get the Huskies while she had Griner and Sims. In Griner's freshman year, she was dominated by Tina Charles, and Uconn won easily but the next year Tina was gone and Baylor expected a convincing win. Plus, the (eventual 90-game) winning streak was in progress. Next, I really felt that Geno outcoached Kim especially in the last minutes when Mulkey wasted a timeout that she badly needed later. The huskies, down 56-48, closed the game 17-8. Who says the Huskies can't win the close ones? So, for me it was satisfying on multiple levels, rather than on just one, such as a beat-down of another rival.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
That was a big one.

VG- u and I are in the zone- that Stanford game- was it the one in Htfd? We were close at halftime? Up or down a point or two? I may be going back too far?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
For regular season games, I'm very partial to the 65-64 win over Baylor in 2010. First, I have always assumed that Mulkey's interest in playing UConn in a four game series was to get the Huskies while she had Griner and Sims. In Griner's freshman year, she was dominated by Tina Charles, and Uconn won easily but the next year Tina was gone and Baylor expected a convincing win. Plus, the (eventual 90-game) winning streak was in progress. Next, I really felt that Geno outcoached Kim especially in the last minutes when Mulkey wasted a timeout that she badly needed later. The huskies, down 56-48, closed the game 17-8. Who says the Huskies can't win the close ones? So, for me it was satisfying on multiple levels, rather than on just one, such as a beat-down of another rival.
That is a perfect take on that game. Stef could only go 3-4 minutes at a time. Samarie Walker fouled out, but really kept BG off the boards and away from the hoop for 3/4 of that game. That game & the streak is what helped etch As freshmen, Stef & Bria in Geno's heart forever! That was bigger than the other games in the original post- I agree!

Reaction Score
This was not in the timeframe under discussion but there was a very satisfying regular season win vs. UNC. Does anyone remember the context? I was at the game and I remember it feeling like a huge win but I can't remember the exact context. Would have been somewhere in the dark days between DT and Maya. I just remember feeling like we really needed a win against a good team. We got down in the first half IIRC and came back strong to win.
Agree, we beat them by 30 in their own gym with dozens of sky blue "We're #1" banners in the stands. Glorious!

Reaction Score
Agree, we beat them by 30 in their own gym with dozens of sky blue "We're #1" banners in the stands. Glorious!
No. I Looked it up. The one I'm talking about we were down 11 at the half and won by 11. Mel and Kalana had just gone down with injuries in the preceding f days or weeks, and NC had beaten us three times in a row.

Reaction Score
No. I Looked it up. The one I'm talking about we were down 11 at the half and won by 11. Mel and Kalana had just gone down with injuries in the preceding f days or weeks, and NC had beaten us three times in a row.
Of course the one you're talking about was damned sweet too Sonny!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Well, 80% of the votes have gone to two games from this season. Obviously, there are different directions in which this season could go. That being said, if those convincing wins over Notre Dame and South Carolina proved to be en route to UConn's 10th national championship season, suffice it to say 2014-15 will be VERY memorable.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
In that Carolina game you reference with the injuries, Lorin Dixon played a huge role in the win....I'm guessing
it was the best in her UConn career....had maybe 14 points...solid floor game. That type of performance did happen with Lorin but not with much regularity. Still....in a big game...she came up big.

Reaction Score
In that Carolina game you reference with the injuries, Lorin Dixon played a huge role in the win....I'm guessing
it was the best in her UConn career....had maybe 14 points...solid floor game. That type of performance did happen with Lorin but not with much regularity. Still....in a big game...she came up big.
Thanks. Had forgotten that.

Reaction Score
This game definitely one of the best! This was only the 2nd game of the season, and everyone knew Baylor was coming back better, and yes, the Streak was going to be challenged. Electric atmosphere all around. Maya played super (30 pts), Tiffany put in 16, and UConn had a lead for a while, but Baylor came back strong to take the lead. In the last few minutes, freshman Bria Hartley had 8 points, including 2 unbelievably clutch 3's. Right then we all knew she was entirely ready to be a Husky, with a lot more greatness to come. Eking out a 1-point victory the Streak continued on, making possible the breaking of UCLA's 88 game streak. Forever grateful to Bria for those tres. Yea, the ole guy came win the close ones! ;->

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The 2015 game is the most satisfying because it exposed the present silliness of SCar as #1 and the belief that great athletes automatically make a great team and that the SEC is incredibly tough making teams tough. Not so. The SEC just plays the RPI game better than most.

Generally, for me the most recent big game is the most satisfying.

Reaction Score
For another non-regular season game and is not in the last 5 years, was the semi-final win in 1995 over Stanford after VanDeVeer said she had 5 Nykesha's on her team, like it was no big deal that she didn't get Nykesha. "Sour grapes"? But we stomped them in that game. Even then, she predicted Tennessee would beat UConn in the finals. It took a long time after that before I respected the Stanford coach. Now that she continues to schedule UConn, I've gained respect for her.

And if we go outside the 5 years but keep to regular season it would have to be the first win over Tennessee in Jan 95.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom