Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football

In the last two football seasons, how many games have you watched start to finish?

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • 1-5

Votes: 47 18.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • More than 10

Votes: 38 15.2%
  • Every possible game

Votes: 92 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've watched a few games here and there, but I haven't watched a single game start to finish in quite some time.

My bad. I see you are certainly a big supporter of all things UConn. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Y'know what's funny? I was going through the revived beach thread and there was your one contribution from a year ago... another badmouth of your home state. You may not post much, but when you do...

Well, the CT beaches are far, far behind the quality of the RI and Cape Cod shores. I don't think that's up for argument.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano (Character)

Come on, really? This is almost worse than saying that university president comb through the comment sections of online articles about CR to form their opinions on which schools to accept.
When I say that Big12 presidents voting on candidates won't want to make an unpopular decision amongst their constituents, and that those opinions are reflected online, is that really what you think I said? That I think university presidents will be combing through comments? I'd counter that the real issue here is your ability to interpret words properly before making these passive aggressive posts. I'm dissapointed in you Stairmaster.

Reaction Score
How can you possibly say it is not spin? You wrote; "27 (14%) haven't watched a SINGLE minute" when the actual poll question was; "how many games have you watched start to finish". That by definition is spinning, you took responses that said not watching any full games into never watching whatsoever! The poll is even biased. For the top end you have to watch every game start-to-finish, but classifying for bottom end is much easier - lots of people tune in & out of games or for 4th quarters only or tune out once games are blowouts. A more fair poll would have said:
How many football games have you watched over past two years?
0 - have watched no UConn football at all
1-5 watched all or part of less than 5 games
6-10 watched most of 6-10 games
10+ watched all or parts of 10+ games
Essentially all - watch games start to finish when available on TV or live

I mean I'm a rapid UConn basketball fan, but I certainly haven't come close to watching ALL games over the past two years, its somewhat a function of TV coverage, but I'm closer to 50% of the total minutes played than 100%

Your polling was biased towards the negative AND you spun the results by mis-characterizing not watching full games into not watching at all. Yet given all that bias, a sizable majority are watching.

That's fair. I guess I did blur the "watched a game start to finish" and "watched a single minute". All I was trying to see is how many people on the basketball board care at all or how much they care about the football program.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
When I say that Big12 presidents voting on candidates won't want to make an unpopular decision amongst their constituents, and those opinions are reflected online, is that really what you think I said? I'd counter that the real issue here is your ability to interpret words properly. I'm dissapointed in you Stairmaster.

Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it.
Also, "Constituents"? This isn't U.S. presidential politics; university presidents aren't elected by students or alumni. The BoT hires them because they trust said president to effectively steward the university's operations and oversee many different areas (athletics, R&D, fundraising, faculty issues). They are not truly accountable to anyone besides the BoT (and maybe some other big-time donors). If you interviewed most B12 presidents, I doubt you'd find one who'd say they were taking polls of their fanbase into account when making their decisions.

Bottom line, there's no recall process for disgruntled knuckleheads who comment on Tramel articles. They don't control whether presidents stay on or not. Therefore the idea that, let's say, Burns Hargis has to look and see what OSU homers are posting on newsok.com in order to make his decision is a load of bull. Presidents don't reflect the fanbases because they a) are smarter than most homers on the internet, and b) have access to much, much more information regarding different candidates than any of these homers.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I never said UConn football sucks. I said College football sucks. Im not even a big Pro football fan for that matter.

Mens hoops
Hockey (pro and college)
Baseball
NBA

.Pro Football
.College Football

is my sports hierarchy. That's just me as a person though. No indictment on UConn.
My favorite is women's beach volleyball. I love watching sports where athletes gives us their all.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Lb6Gh.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wow...this one devolved fast. It's like having to live through some bizarre internet version of the Lord of the Flies whenever this group all lands in one thread.

For the record, I watch all the games I can, which is not all the games. I'll be in New Orleans for Cincinnati. Sorry if I spend my time in NOLA doing something besides trying to find a bar that gets CBSSN. Lucked out with Maine on Thursday since I'm off to Vermont the next day. Thought I'd miss that one too. So I said 6-10.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, the CT beaches are far, far behind the quality of the RI and Cape Cod shores. I don't think that's up for argument.
True, but I always thought it was because Long Island blocked the waves. I guess I missed all the tampon applicators.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I will say this much:

I love UConn football. Absolutely love it. Way more so than UConn basketball (and I could not care less about the women's team). I'm a college football guy through and through.

That being said- the game day experience at UConn truly does not resemble a real collegiate game day experience. I'm not trying to spark a major debate on this topic, but going to other schools that have emphasized football for much longer and been around much longer would give a better idea of what a "true" game day experience should look like. Go to a game at LSU/Penn State/Nebraska/Ohio State etc and you'll see what I am referring to. The closest thing in the northeast to this I'd say is PSU or Army. Never been to a Rutgers or Syracuse game but can't imagine Cuse having a great environment in that grotesque pathetic excuse for a stadium of theirs.

UConn's football "experience" was often run much like a pro team. This is often the way the entire UConn AD has run all sports programs. Part of the reason that college fans like college ball is that it is different from professional sports. These are kids were talking about. Its supposed to be fun. They're supposed to make mistakes. It's supposed to provide insane highs and then two seconds later rip your heart out. Its supposed to be nostalgic. We already miss on a LARGE part of this experience by not having the stadium located on campus (I know the logistical issues I'm just speaking from an experience stand point). This means we need to do a more than excellent job incorporating the band, the student body, and other arms of the University such as the Alumni Association into the game day experience in order to try to replicate this as much as humanly possible. For the most part, we did the exact opposite. We hired a crappy corny DJ to pump in random music that had nothing to do with the University, we charged students to travel to the games, there were zero efforts from the AA to organize tailgates/reunions/celebrations surrounding the games. The only people that went were the true "UConn" fans, or those that were interested in supporting winners. Even the stadium itself, while it has great views, leaves plenty to be desired. Parking lots can be insanely far, the tailgating is heavily monitored to essentially ensure you have a moderate amount of fun but not too much (no throwing the football- really?).

David Benedict understands this in a way that neither of his predecessors did and immediately took action on changing a MULTITUDE of things surrounding the game day experience in order to try to change this narrative. Diaco started this through the Husky Walk/Entrance into the stadium through the stadium/having the team sing the fight song with the band after the game ends, but Benedict is taking this to the level it needs to be taken to. I can absolutely understand why @Deepster wouldn't have enjoyed attending the games. No matter how much I love UConn and UConn football, the game day experience left a lot to be desired. If you're going to ask someone to donate thousands to the program and spend 6-7 full days out of a year on UConn football, that experience has to be worth it every single time, or else fans will come and go after a while because they are not being entertained. I look forward to seeing how these changes to the game day experience that Benedict has implemented work as the season goes on this year and I hope that people attend games and find out for themselves. Go Skies!

Reaction Score
Bumped this one after the last football game. Wonder what the poll numbers would look like now?

Reaction Score
Bumped this one after the last football game. Wonder what the poll numbers would look like now?

Guessing we'll never find out as long as Diaco is still coaching because you'll be lucky to have anyone look at a thread on football - disgusting and embarrassing that this is what they're allowing to be thrown out there. Not on the kids as much as the staff mainly HCBD.

Reaction Score
Zero point zero. Maybe 5 minutes of total TV time over 2 years.
I went to one game last year though.

In my defense, it's not just UConn . I hate college football. I've hated college football since the 70s . I'd rather be washing dishes than watching college football. I simply don't have the time or money to invest in something that brings me zero joy.

And yell at me , but know that I had season tickets for a few years that I let lapse last year. I tried, I bought in to the "this is the path to UConns seat at the big table where they belong" spiel. I cannot anymore. My life schedule and family needs don't allow it, nor do I want to do it.

If basketball eventually dies because of college football so be it. If thats the way this world works then good riddance, I'm past caring about any of it other than what time the next men's game is.

Since I moved south 20 years ago, you can't help but watch college football. I hated college football when I lived in CT. Florida high school for example is ten notches about CT HS football. HS and college football in the northeast just plain sucks. What colleges are good in the northeast? None. Penn State does not count as it is more midwest than northeast.

Reaction Score
Since I moved south 20 years ago, you can't help but watch college football. I hated college football when I lived in CT. Florida high school for example is ten notches about CT HS football. HS and college football in the northeast just plain sucks. What colleges are good in the northeast? None. Penn State does not count as it is more midwest than northeast.

Best football program in the Northeast is Temple. Think about that.

Reaction Score
If they don't fire the s--thead who is currently coaching our football team I will never watch another UConn football game. Any good will Herbst has built up would be thrown in the enormous hole and buried along with our football program

Reaction Score
Zero point zero. Maybe 5 minutes of total TV time over 2 years.
I went to one game last year though.

In my defense, it's not just UConn . I hate college football. I've hated college football since the 70s . I'd rather be washing dishes than watching college football. I simply don't have the time or money to invest in something that brings me zero joy.

And yell at me , but know that I had season tickets for a few years that I let lapse last year. I tried, I bought in to the "this is the path to UConns seat at the big table where they belong" spiel. I cannot anymore. My life schedule and family needs don't allow it, nor do I want to do it.

If basketball eventually dies because of college football so be it. If thats the way this world works then good riddance, I'm past caring about any of it other than what time the next men's game is.

Anytime a UConn fB game is on would you come over to my house to wash my dishes? I figure you must live nearby and my dog gets lonely while we are at the game.

Reaction Score
I on't uunderstand how people can't be fans of all UConn -Athletics. I have been to mbb games, WBB gamers games, ice hocket games. Must get to soccer games next year. Why the division?

Reaction Score
I'd consider myself a football fan that also follows basketball.

Reaction Score
I on't uunderstand how people can't be fans of all UConn -Athletics. I have been to mbb games, WBB gamers games, ice hocket games. Must get to soccer games next year. Why the division?

Here's the deal. Some fans, like myself, grew up in CT without major college football but were huge fans of the basketball program. These fans most likely latched onto another college football program to get their fix. UCONN started a division 1 program, these fans became fans but probably still held onto old allegiances. These fans also probably did not attend the University of Connecticut. When UCONN football does well its good, when they suck, they have back up plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom