Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football

In the last two football seasons, how many games have you watched start to finish?

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • 1-5

Votes: 47 18.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • More than 10

Votes: 38 15.2%
  • Every possible game

Votes: 92 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think it's unwarranted to say UConn is, and historically has always been, a basketball school. Our basketball programs are pretty much the focal point of our national brand. I don't see a problem with attracting "basketball only fans" because that's basically more UConn fans that probably had little to no connection to the university prior. I highly doubt we have many "football only fans" from a population NOT located in CT or with no ties to the university. That being said, once you are on board I find it imperative to support all of the major sports - meaning football. It does us literally no good to split allegiances. I never liked college football before I attended UConn. But I always watched UConn football and attended most games when I was a student. To me, this poll still shows that a little over 70% of BY basketball fans watch at least half of the football games. Overall, that's not too bad; I actually expected worse. I agree and disagree with Serrano's message about complaining about CR. I feel that UConn fans - especially basketball fans should be downright pissed about our conference affiliation. But he's right that if you're not supporting the football program then you are part of the problem. Big boy college athletics means having big boy football. Our football team, with less resources, would still likely be middle-of-the-pack in the ACC. So just fuqqing go to a few football games if you have the time and can afford it. Or at the very least, leave your TV running a mere 12-13 times a year with our football games on. It's really not a tribulation.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't think it's unwarranted to say UConn... ...It's really not a tribulation.

You might be banned from the 'yard for making a cogent post during the off season. I'm pretty sure there are rules against that.

Reaction Score
Of course, UConn is a basketball school. That's not even an arguable point.

UConn did not play "big time"football until a decade+ ago. However, in that time, they became the second fastest team to jump from 1AA to top 25, (it took six years). They pocketed two BE championships. They played in a BCS Bowl. They have had consistent picks in the NFL draft and have close to 20 players in the league. And a few scattered in the CFL.

I recall watching UConn hoops in the early 1960s and it was darn good basketball. UConn players were heroes even back then. They were not the nothing program that sometimes gets expressed on this board. Then came Jim Calhoun and he brought it to an elite level. For many of us UConn basketball is a lifetime friend.

The same is simply not true for football. However, for the freshmen entering next year, UConn football will have been around for their entire lives and we will have played in the Rent since they were three years old. Its getting there.

If you have never attended a UConn football game, one tailgate should convince you of the unique and fun atmosphere. A victory or two should seal the deal. Then, UConn football games will be a regular on your television

Reaction Score
Pretty good poll turnout. So far there are 183 responses.
  • 27 (14%) haven't watched a single minute
  • 70 (38%) have watched every single minute
  • 80 of 183 (44%) have watched less than 10 games, 56% have watched more than 10 games.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Complete opposite.

I'm a football guy through and through. Been to most home games and watch every second of every game.

I watched maybe 5 total hoops games last year. Attended a few. I can't stand basketball.

We are both part of the bigger problem though. We need more UConn fans and less "football fans" or "men's hoop" or "women's hoop" or "hockey" fans. I left soccer out because it's not a real sport.

I'll see myself out.

this is me as well

Reaction Score
I watch every game that i could stream and watch on TV... living in Oklahoma makes it hard to get all the games, but if they are on ESPN 360 I will have my TV connected to my Computer to watch it... I watch everything UConn every sport.... GO HUSKIES!!!! and yes I did travel to see the Navy game last year in person :) and the Mizzu Game too

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
As Bill Murray said in Stripes "we're not Watoosi, we're not Spartans, we're mutts" so bball guys help the football guys-- because I don't want to cry when old yeller dies. For the sake of all UConn athletics we need football to succeed (I live in Chicago and can still watch 95% of the bball games and 75% of the fb games on cable andI watch them all, also I'm not an alum but grew up in CT). Our bball program is a known commodity, it's our football program that P5 conferences want to see well attended and watched on tv. If you don't want to support football fine. But please have a tv in your house tuned in to every game this year. You don't have to watch. Big brother will count your tv and that will help ratings. I think if there were a poll asking who wants to stay in the AAC it would get one percent. So let's work together and help the football metrics improve.

Reaction Score
  • 80 of 183 (44%) have watched less than 10 games, 56% have watched more than 10 games.
That's spinning the numbers. I think conclusion of the poll with 40% every single minute (that's a lot) and another 30% in the 6+ range is that 3/4 UConn bball fans care a lot about football. And this is in a time where the team has been average at best. I'm in the 25% group less than 5 games range, but if the team becomes good I'll switch with probably half of that group and then it'll be less than 15% that don't watch or care at all. In the law of big numbers (meaning with UConn drawing so many basketball fans you are bound to get a sizable number percentage that don't like football at all regardless of UConn, college, NFL etc..) that's a very good football following.

Add the challenge of college football's comparative lack of popularity, competitiveness & rivalries in the NE and UConn football really does have quite the opportunity to grab market share and raise up the University's sports pursuits with it. Football at UConn is pretty similar to the opportunity and market conditions that existed when Calhoun came to UConn in the mid-80's. Biggest difference is we were already in the powerhouse conference and its a lot more challenging to build to that level of competitiveness from the outside.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I live in California so I've only been able to watch on TV/online. However, I did just buy my brother & his family tickets to the Maine & Syracuse games.

If you want us to get out of the AAC, we've got to fill up PAWSARF every week. Do your part and go to a few games this year.

Reaction Score
That's spinning the numbers. I think conclusion of the poll with 40% every single minute (that's a lot) and another 30% in the 6+ range is that 3/4 UConn bball fans care a lot about football. And this is in a time where the team has been average at best. I'm in the 25% group less than 5 games range, but if the team becomes good I'll switch with probably half of that group and then it'll be less than 15% that don't watch or care at all. In the law of big numbers (meaning with UConn drawing so many basketball fans you are bound to get a sizable number percentage that don't like football at all regardless of UConn, college, NFL etc..) that's a very good football following.

Add the challenge of college football's comparative lack of popularity, competitiveness & rivalries in the NE and UConn football really does have quite the opportunity to grab market share and raise up the University's sports pursuits with it. Football at UConn is pretty similar to the opportunity and market conditions that existed when Calhoun came to UConn in the mid-80's. Biggest difference is we were already in the powerhouse conference and its a lot more challenging to build to that level of competitiveness from the outside.

I don't think it's spin. I gave the high end #'s and the low end #'s I am surprised that 38% have watched every single minute. And the <> 10 games split really is "about half" the games. So, you have about half the people watching less than half, about half the people watching more than half. Right?

Reaction Score
Yup, and some guy who hasn't existed on the basketball board until 10 minutes ago is the leading authority on the subject.

And yet you post on the CR board like an expert yet you could give a flying frig about UConn FB.

Thank you for you lack of interest in UConn FB.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
And yet you post on the CR board like an expert yet you could give a flying frig about UConn FB.

Thank you for you lack of interest in UConn FB.
Lmao you are so incredibly dumb if you think that's the case. I'm talking about pure attendance numbers having a minimal effect in UConn's case because there are other, bigger factors for us at play, never did I say anything about not supporting UConn.

Actually do me a favor and go back and read my post and how I specifically said "I support anything with the word UConn written on it", does that sound like someone who doesn't support the football team?

Good lord some of these football board people are so dumb. Please submit your brain right away for CTE analysis, like don't even wait for post-mortem. You big tough football guys have taken one too many hits to the head and are a bit jumpy.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's spin. I gave the high end #'s and the low end #'s I am surprised that 38% have watched every single minute. And the <> 10 games split really is "about half" the games. So, you have about half the people watching less than half, about half the people watching more than half. Right?

No, not right. Besides being a tool, you suck at basic math.

Reaction Score
Lmao you are so incredibly dumb if you think that's the case. I'm talking about pure attendance numbers having a minimal effect in UConn's case because there are other, bigger factors for us at play, never did I say anything about not supporting UConn.

Actually do me a favor and go back and read my post and how I specifically said "I support anything with the word UConn written on it", does that sound like someone who doesn't support the football team?

Good lord some of these football board people are so dumb. Please submit your brain right away for CTE analysis, like don't even wait for post-mortem.

You are out of your league here kid.

You are probably one of the dummy 20 something year old fanboys who have no connection to UConn that everyone on the BY mocks and ridicules.

Benedict has said outright that if we want to get into a P5 conference we need to fill BOTH the Rent and Gampel. But since you know more about this stuff than he does, maybe you should offer your consulting services pro buono. UConn needs you.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
You are out of your league here kid.

You are probably one of the dummy 20 something year old fanboys who have no connection to UConn that everyone on the BY mocks and ridicules.

Benedict has said outright that if we want to get into a P5 conference we need to fill BOTH the Rent and Gampel. But since you know more about this stuff than he does, maybe you should offer your consulting services pro buono. UConn needs you.
Hahaha oh it's my favorite poster! The guy who saw the "name" field while registering for his account here and actually put in a name. That's textbook out-of-touch old man in the Internet age move.

As for the "no connection to UConn" I know you were just shooting in the dark hoping to hit something that hurts, try again. Just accept that I support UConn football and never once said otherwise and please for the love of gd never quote me again.

Reaction Score

Oh so not watching a game from start to finish means haven't watched a single minute now. Gotcha.

Reaction Score
No, not right. Besides being a tool, you suck at basic math.

Excuse me for sucking at math. I'll try to improve on that for you right away.

Oh....and by the way? It's "pro bono", Sparky.

Reaction Score
Hahaha oh it's my favorite poster! The guy who saw the "name" field while registering for his account here and actually put in a name. That's textbook out-of-touch old man in the Internet age move.

As for the "no connection to UConn" I know you were just shooting in the dark hoping to hit something that hurts, try again. Just accept that I support UConn football and never once said otherwise and please for the love of gd never quote me again.

Do you even know who Jimmy Serrano is you clown?

How old are you?

What year did you graduate from UConn?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Jimmy Serrano (Character)

Come on, really? This is almost worse than saying that university president comb through the comment sections of online articles about CR to form their opinions on which schools to accept.

Reaction Score
Excuse me for sucking at math. I'll try to improve on that for you right away.

My excuse for spelling is auto correct.

What is your excuse for thinking 60 = 135?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Y'know what's funny? I was going through the revived beach thread and there was your one contribution from a year ago... another badmouth of your home state. You may not post much, but when you do...

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
You said you played for some other school's football team? Shouldn't you be cheering for their basketball squad?
A big thanks for telling me who I should root for, as if your opinion has any sway on what my allegiances may be... Lol

What a , back to the fluff board with you:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
How can you possibly say it is not spin? You wrote; "27 (14%) haven't watched a SINGLE minute" when the actual poll question was; "how many games have you watched start to finish". That by definition is spinning, you took responses that said not watching any full games into never watching whatsoever! The poll is even biased. For the top end you have to watch every game start-to-finish, but classifying for bottom end is much easier - lots of people tune in & out of games or for 4th quarters only or tune out once games are blowouts. A more fair poll would have said:
How many football games have you watched over past two years?
0 - have watched no UConn football at all
1-5 watched all or part of less than 5 games
6-10 watched most of 6-10 games
10+ watched all or parts of 10+ games
Essentially all - watch games start to finish when available on TV or live

I mean I'm a rapid UConn basketball fan, but I certainly haven't come close to watching ALL games over the past two years, its somewhat a function of TV coverage, but I'm closer to 50% of the total minutes played than 100%

Your polling was biased towards the negative AND you spun the results by mis-characterizing not watching full games into not watching at all. Yet given all that bias, a sizable majority are watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom