Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football

In the last two football seasons, how many games have you watched start to finish?

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • 1-5

Votes: 47 18.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • More than 10

Votes: 38 15.2%
  • Every possible game

Votes: 92 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A guy who doesn't like college football starts a thread about whether or not UConn basketball fans care about UConn football after already posting he doesn't give a rats arse if UConn every plays another football game. Just an incredibly dumb thread all-around.

Nope. I stay off the football board. If that's your cup of tea, enjoy it. I just didn't get caught up in the hoopla and found it to be a little boring and small time. A few seasons of "And that's another UConn firrrrrrrst dowwwwwwwn" was enough for me.

And no one has gotten shot at a football game. Yet.

I always wondered why the men's board had such a bad rap on the BY.

No longer wonder.

Reaction Score
I have season tickets to Mens BB both Hartford (4 tix) and Gampel (2 tix). I also have season tix to Football. I watch every basketball game and every football game. If I cant make it to a game I make it a point to record it and watch afterwards. And to answer Fishy's question above - I went to UConn.

Reaction Score
Yup, and some guy who hasn't existed on the basketball board until 10 minutes ago is the leading authority on the subject.
You are only digging yourself a bigger hole. You realize football drives the bus and basketball means nothing in terms of CR?

Reaction Score
It's all about location, location, location. My guess is that if you did this poll on the football board the results would be much different. What would be interesting is to put a poll on the women's board asking who watches men's basketball games.

Reaction Score
I always wondered why the men's board had such a bad rap on the BY.

No longer wonder.

The reason the football board is much better quality is because there are so many less posters. And they are probably older. Which doesn't make sense when you consider how awful the women's board is.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
First off I'm a UCONN fan and I never attended college. I watch UCONN football because it's UCONN, I watch every game start to finish mostly on the dvr. I'm definitely a Bball fan first tho!

Secondly Soccer is a real sport and Uconn soccer is pretty DAMN GOOD!!

Reaction Score
The reason the football board is much better quality is because there are so many less posters. And they are probably older. Which doesn't make sense when you consider how awful the women's board is.

There's something to this. I think there's a lot of young 20 something year fanboys here who only know UConn as a basketball powerhouse with no other connection to the university than as a hoops fan.

Reaction Score
I will say this - the conference stuff is already taking its toll on our mens program. I go to all the home games and some of the attendance is embarrassing. XL and Gampel have many empty seats these days - ticket prices have been pretty level the last few years but people are not showing up. Fans need to support football AND basketball. The crud UConn is playing against in conference is definitely reducing the number of fans that go. I would hate to see UConn relegated to an also-ran due to politics when they have proven their athletic dept is anything but. This B12 decision is monumental - our top opponents in conference could end up being SMU, Memphis and ECU as opposed to Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas - the latter would make fans of both sports VERY happy and fill any stadium/arena.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Has nothing to do with basketball genius. I guess our AD and those put in charge of getting us into a P5 conference aren't as sharp on the take as you are. You should really school them on this topic. UConn needs you.
Please quote the part where I said CR is pertaining to basketball, please go ahead I'm waiting. I called you out because even if UConn football maxed out 40k attendence for the entire season, meaning every single seat is filled for every game, it still wouldn't put us in the P5. My point is there are a plethora of other factors at play, so when some football board guy comes here and starts going off about how in a way we as UConn fans are responsible for the CR predicament it pisses me off, especially when without the basketball program, this university likely wouldn't even have a football program.

Reaction Score
Please quote the part where I said CR is pertaining to basketball, please go ahead I'm waiting. I called you out because even if UConn football maxed out 40k attendence for the entire season, meaning every single seat is filled for every game, it still wouldn't put us in the P5. My point is there are a plethora of other factors at play, so when some football board guy comes here and starts going off about how in a way we as UConn fans are responsible for the CR predicament it pisses me off, especially when without the basketball program, this university likely wouldn't even have a football program.

Oh, you're one of those arse holes.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
My point is there are a plethora of other factors at play, so when some football board guy comes here and starts going off about how in a way we as UConn fans are responsible for the CR predicament it pisses me off, especially when without the basketball program, this university likely wouldn't even have a football program.

Well yes I agree but we went to division 1-a in 99 so as you know that was the same year as "shock the world"

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yup, and some guy who hasn't existed on the basketball board until 10 minutes ago is the leading authority on the subject.

Serrano is one of the biggest supporters of the football team out there, and expresses his fandom by devoting his time and his money to the program, not by making melodramatic posts about how screwed we are. Can he be a jerk at times? Maybe, but he brings up a very good point here and at the least deserves everyone's respect when he makes a visit here.

I also find it so ironic that with all the complaining about the AD being doomed, you refuse to do the one thing in your power as a fan that can help UConn's chances in CR: watch the damn games. I mean seriously, "BUHusky10"? The crux of one of the strongest CR arguments in our favor is that our control of the Boston and NY markets will bring conferences TV dollars. What good does that do when Boneyard posters (arguably the most diehard cohort of the fanbase with internet access) in those absolutely vital locations are refusing to tune their TVs to games? Granted I tend to like watching UConn football in general so I have a bias, but take the Stony Brook game 2 Septembers ago; do you think that a 19-16 win against a crummy FCS team was enjoyable to watch? No. Were there other things I could've been doing with my life on a Saturday afternoon in a major city? Yes. But I take very seriously the notion that our fanbase in NY has to do whatever it can to assert that we own that market, so you bet your a that I've tuned into every single game on my cable package no matter how ugly it was. Hell, there have been times when I've left my TV tuned to the channel on the occasions when I've had an engagement that prevented me from watching the game. Every little thing counts.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Lol I have never watched because of tv ratings but now I'm calling my family and friends and making them turn on Uconn football!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
*Correction*
The Men's Bball board is the Boneyard. Everything else is just fluff.

No.

I am the Boneyard.

The rest of you are just extras.

Sermon-on-the-Mount.jpg

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No.

I am the Boneyard.

The rest of you are just extras.

Sermon-on-the-Mount.jpg
Without us this would just be a Tumblr blog of you making endless wise crack quips to a non-existent audience.

Reaction Score
I grew up watching UConn basketball - both men and women. Started following the football program in the mid 2000's after going to a couple games and I was hooked. Graduated from UConn in 2014 and haven't missed game since (Season ticket holders/TV). Still love the basketball teams but there's just something I love about a college football environment. I highly recommend it to anybody who's never been to a game, especially this year considering the team should be very good and there are some familiar names on the schedule.

Reaction Score
I'd guess the majority of people who don't watch any football at all have no connection to UConn other than rooting for the men's basketball team. Yes, I know there are exceptions to this. So pipe down.

I would imagine that there is less affiliation between alums and the women's basketball fan base. Them being so dominant and transcendent creates more of a cult (and I don't mean that in a negative way - they have achieved notoriety that undoubtedly lengthens the gap between community and fan base, which is another way of saying they are a team with national pull)

Football fans would certainly be more likely to have attended the school, if I had to guess. I think the survey that @temery conducted a couple months ago reflects that.

I love UConn basketball, and to some extent, that has spilled into UConn football. Even though I can't name more than a handful of players on the roster, I watch most games and plan on attending a couple this season.

That said, I hesitate to assign nobility to supporting the football program like so many here tend to do. I support UConn football because it's fun, but the moralizing about things like needing to have every TV in your house turned to the game - even if you're not home - is probably a little misplaced. Following sports is a recreational activity that is supposed to be fun, and if somebody likes UConn basketball and not UConn football, I don't think they have some obligation to sit through a UConn-ECU game and I don't think it's contradictory to assume a passive stance on the football program while bemoaning what has happened to the basketball program. I hope UConn football turns the corner and rescues the entire athletic department, but it shouldn't have come to that.

Last thing I'll add is that there are probably a lot of kids who grew up in Connecticut and the New England area who became fans of UConn basketball despite not attending the school. Connecticut has no pro sports team, so the state University becomes a natural extension of state pride. Sometimes that breads entitlement that wouldn't otherwise exist among alums (though I haven't noticed that to be the case here), but for the most part it's representative of a healthy growth within a fan base that needs to occur but sometimes hasn't because of all the pro teams in the region. Bring Oklahoma to the Rent, though, with the Big 12 title on the line, and the whole state will be there.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Growing up in north central CT I've been a UConn basketball fan since I was young, men and women's (can't help but appreciate their dominance and play). I've been going to games since the mid 90s when my family had season tix to the Civic Center and greeting the men's 99 team at the airport is one of my favorite memories. Now I have been to a game(s?) at Memorial Stadium, but didn't really follow UConn football til the FBS years and now I try to go to as many games as possible getting season tix a couple times in the past 5 years. Now I rarely ever miss a basketball (have had season tix at Gampel for 5 years running) or football game whether in person or on tv (will record if I do), I believe I went to 17 games in the 13-14 season including the EE and SS games at MSG. Also like to keep tabs on other Olympic sports specifically soccer and baseball. It's hard not to follow UConn sports growing up so close with no pro team to fall in love locally and I'm not an alum (school was bit bigger than I wanted).

Reaction Score
*Correction*
You said you played for some other school's football team? Shouldn't you be cheering for their basketball squad?

Reaction Score
Serrano is one of the biggest supporters of the football team out there, and expresses his fandom by devoting his time and his money to the program, not by making melodramatic posts about how screwed we are. Can he be a jerk at times? Maybe, but he brings up a very good point here and at the least deserves everyone's respect when he makes a visit here.

I also find it so ironic that with all the complaining about the AD being doomed, you refuse to do the one thing in your power as a fan that can help UConn's chances in CR: watch the damn games. I mean seriously, "BUHusky10"? The crux of one of the strongest CR arguments in our favor is that our control of the Boston and NY markets will bring conferences TV dollars. What good does that do when Boneyard posters (arguably the most diehard cohort of the fanbase with internet access) in those absolutely vital locations are refusing to tune their TVs to games? Granted I tend to like watching UConn football in general so I have a bias, but take the Stony Brook game 2 Septembers ago; do you think that a 19-16 win against a crummy FCS team was enjoyable to watch? No. Were there other things I could've been doing with my life on a Saturday afternoon in a major city? Yes. But I take very seriously the notion that our fanbase in NY has to do whatever it can to assert that we own that market, so you bet your a that I've tuned into every single game on my cable package no matter how ugly it was. Hell, there have been times when I've left my TV tuned to the channel on the occasions when I've had an engagement that prevented me from watching the game. Every little thing counts.

Actually, I can be a jerk a lot of the time. It's part of my charm.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
*Correction*

The frat boy mentality on the men's board plays well during the season, but only diehards stick around after the first week of April. And that pretty much only during work hours.

This time of year even the cesspool gets more traffic on a good day.

"The Boneyard - Destroying Worker Productivity Since 1998!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline