Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football | The Boneyard

Poll: Men's Basketball Fans Watching Football

In the last two football seasons, how many games have you watched start to finish?

Votes: 43 17.2%
  • 1-5

Votes: 47 18.8%
  • 6-10

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • More than 10

Votes: 38 15.2%
  • Every possible game

Votes: 92 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just curious how many men's basketball fans watch the football team, and if so, how often.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I've watched a few games here and there, but I haven't watched a single game start to finish in quite some time.

Reaction Score
Watched as in TV or in person?

If time allows and it's on I watch their games, but I wouldn't say I leave it on that station alone I mean they haven't been all that fun to watch. Dynamic offense needs to get on board to what has seemed to be solid defense most every year.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Zero point zero. Maybe 5 minutes of total TV time over 2 years.
I went to one game last year though.

In my defense, it's not just UConn . I hate college football. I've hated college football since the 70s . I'd rather be washing dishes than watching college football. I simply don't have the time or money to invest in something that brings me zero joy.

And yell at me , but know that I had season tickets for a few years that I let lapse last year. I tried, I bought in to the "this is the path to UConns seat at the big table where they belong" spiel. I cannot anymore. My life schedule and family needs don't allow it, nor do I want to do it.

If basketball eventually dies because of college football so be it. If thats the way this world works then good riddance, I'm past caring about any of it other than what time the next men's game is.

Reaction Score
I'm with @August_West. I watched the second half of that Houston game last year, but that's it. It's not a UConn thing, I just don't like football.

Reaction Score
Zero point zero. Maybe 5 minutes of total TV time over 2 years.
I went to one game last year though.

In my defense, it's not just UConn . I hate college football. I've hated college football since the 70s . I'd rather be washing dishes than watching college football. I simply don't have the time or money to invest in something that brings me zero joy.

And yell at me , but know that I had season tickets for a few years that I let lapse last year. I tried, I bought in to the "this is the path to UConns seat at the big table where they belong" spiel. I cannot anymore. My life schedule and family needs don't allow it, nor do I want to do it.

If basketball eventually dies because of college football so be it. If thats the way this world works then good riddance, I'm past caring about any of it other than what time the next men's game is.

Complete opposite.

I'm a football guy through and through. Been to most home games and watch every second of every game.

I watched maybe 5 total hoops games last year. Attended a few. I can't stand basketball.

We are both part of the bigger problem though. We need more UConn fans and less "football fans" or "men's hoop" or "women's hoop" or "hockey" fans. I left soccer out because it's not a real sport.

I'll see myself out.

Reaction Score
I don't get that its a problem or some sort of mandate that all UConn fans need to be football fans or go to the games. I was a UConn soccer fan as a student but no one demands alumni need to commit to soccer attendance. The team should be a meritocracy like anything else - its the football teams job to figure out a formula that creates a fervent fanbase. And if the games become compelling the problem of football attendance or competitiveness and revenue generation fixes itself. Or more succinctly, sport is about sport.

Reaction Score
I don't get that its a problem or some sort of mandate that all UConn fans need to be football fans or go to the games. I was a UConn soccer fan as a student but no one demands alumni need to commit to soccer attendance. The team should be a meritocracy like anything else - its the football teams job to figure out a formula that creates a fervent fanbase. And if the games become compelling the problem of football attendance or competitiveness and revenue generation fixes itself. Or more succinctly, sport is about sport.

Nobody is demanding anything. Just don't whine about what's happened to us in Conf Realignment.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Nobody is demanding anything. Just don't whine about what's happened to us in Conf Realignment.
This is so dumb. As if CR was determined solely by attendence numbers. One can not watch college football while simultaneously realizing UConn got screwed in the landscape shuffle of this game of high level politics.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
0 games
not because UConn football has generally been unwatchable, but my football allegiances lie with the team I actually played for...

Reaction Score
Complete opposite.

I'm a football guy through and through. Been to most home games and watch every second of every game.

I watched maybe 5 total hoops games last year. Attended a few. I can't stand basketball.

We are both part of the bigger problem though. We need more UConn fans and less "football fans" or "men's hoop" or "women's hoop" or "hockey" fans. I left soccer out because it's not a real sport.

I'll see myself out.

Then why are you on a men's basketball message board?

Reaction Score
I'd be curious how the number broke down between people who went to UConn and people who didn't.

I'd guess the majority of people who don't watch any football at all have no connection to UConn other than rooting for the men's basketball team. Yes, I know there are exceptions to this. So pipe down.

Reaction Score
August, you disappoint me. Great, so we will have Deepster posting about how UConn football sucks when he's not posting about how Hartford sucks.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
August, you disappoint me. Great, so we will have Deepster posting about how UConn football sucks when he's not posting about how Hartford sucks.

I never said UConn football sucks. I said College football sucks. Im not even a big Pro football fan for that matter.

Mens hoops
Hockey (pro and college)
Baseball
NBA

.Pro Football
.College Football

is my sports hierarchy. That's just me as a person though. No indictment on UConn.

Last edited:

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I honestly try to make an effort to watch. Anything with relating to UConn gets my attention and support, even the random women's sports. The problem is UConn football games are generally so painfully defensive oriented and low scoring that I inevitably change the channel after watching a quarter or so and then check back periodically for score updates. So when the question becomes how many games have I watched "start to finish" the answer becomes something like 1, maybe even 0 games start to finish.

I think a more offensive scheme would make for better viewership and attendance numbers.

Reaction Score
This is so dumb. As if CR was determined solely by attendence numbers. One can not watch college football while simultaneously realizing UConn got screwed in the landscape shuffle of this game of high level politics.

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about here.

Reaction Score
Yup, and some guy who hasn't existed on the basketball board until 10 minutes ago is the leading authority on the subject.

Has nothing to do with basketball genius. I guess our AD and those put in charge of getting us into a P5 conference aren't as sharp on the take as you are. You should really school them on this topic. UConn needs you.

Reaction Score
A guy who doesn't like college football starts a thread about whether or not UConn basketball fans care about UConn football after already posting he doesn't give a rats arse if UConn every plays another football game. Just an incredibly dumb thread all-around.

Reaction Score

Nope. I stay off the football board. If that's your cup of tea, enjoy it. I just didn't get caught up in the hoopla and found it to be a little boring and small time. A few seasons of "And that's another UConn firrrrrrrst dowwwwwwwn" was enough for me.

And no one has gotten shot at a football game. Yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom