• Hell No

Votes: 31 12.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Do worse...yes we did, but we just became a laughing stock. No one will look at us as a P5 team. Will he bail on us 'for his dream job' in 3 years? Yes, Randy was a good coach, but come on, can't we hire anyone else? Why not Skip Holtz, DB, at least we didn't leave after a bowl game, like the A'hole did.
How the hell do you know DB didn't inquire about SH or the many others that have been thrown into the hat?
Is the only thing about RE that bugs you is how he left?
If so, your argument about his coaching ability or the unlikely hood of him to be able to resurrect the program is in MHO lame
If he bails us out as you say what do you care if he leaves - it will improve the options for the next HC - don't you get it?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Favorable (62%) has really surged in the last 12 hours vs Unfavorable (23%)
Not sure and below are negative. Still comes out to about 2/3 positive, 1/3 negative.

Reaction Score
People who are critical of the hire "because Edsall left once, and could leave again" apparently haven't followed college football outside of UConn.

Coaches who are successful move on to bigger and better jobs. How he left upset people, okay. The fact he left, shouldn't upset anyone. That's business. 99% of the coaches we get will leave for a better opportunity or more money. Ironically, Edsall is probably less likely to leave this time around. He took his shot at a P5 program and failed. He's done the NFL, he's not going to get better than a coordinator position there, if that. He can run this program, and if he's as successful as he was last time, he can probably coach here until he retires. Most won't want to hear that, and no, he's not Vince Lombardi. But his recipe put us in 4 straight bowl games, won conference championships, and more often than not, left me feeling we would at least be competitive. And over the long run, he was more likely to win 8 games a year, than he was 3-4.

did anyone notice he was fired mid-season at Maryland ? That only happens when you have serious problems.

Also, the NFL experience with Detroit was a notch above a water boy. He was not a coach.

Reaction Score
did anyone notice he was fired mid-season at Maryland ? That only happens when you have serious problems.

Also, the NFL experience with Detroit was a notch above a water boy. He was not a coach.
There's nobody trying to argue that anything about his time at Maryland is what earned him a second shot. Including me, so I'm not sure what your point is, or why you're quoting my post with that response.

Additionally, he spent three years in the NFL coaching DBs. So yes, he was a coach in the NFL. Although I don't think it's where his future lies anyway, and was basically implying that. But good on you to respond to one line in my post mentioning the NFL experience while still getting the facts wrong.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I figured I'd be coming around by now. But it's the opposite, this is a terrible hire.

Reaction Score
Can't imagine Edsall would bolt for any "dream job" again - his stock went down after Maryland. If he can replicate a semblance of his Big East success he may be here for a while.

When he was here during the 2000s it seemed every season during the coaching carousel Esdall's name would pop up as a potential candidate for somewhere. Then the board would debate whether or not he'd reached his peak here and should move on. The fact that he finally left for a P5 gig was no surprise. And if you just can't get over the way he bailed after the Fiesta Bowl, then I don't know what to tell ya. Coaches have done a lot worse.

Reaction Score
I'm just ok with this hire for now, I'll be more jacked as the year moves on. As far as RE reaching his ceiling on his first go round, I'm not comepletely buying that. The only component he was missing after Dan O, was a Dan O. If he had a Dan or a Pat White caliber in his last years here, I feel those teams would have been really impressive. Now I know thats a big if, and it is easier said than done. If he is able to duplicate the teams he had and put their best recruiter on a top notch under the radar qb, we all will be singing high praise.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Not that it really matters at this point, but I'm really curious as to how this deal all went down... Like, who contacted who? Did Benedict straight up call Edsall and ask him if he was interested in coming back here? Was it more of an open ongoing conversation between Randy and donors and higher ups- like Larry McHugh, etc. here on "if things were to even change here, would you be interested?"

Just interesting how this all happened... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom